Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Play

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by cyrician

I have been playing Eve for 5 years here are tips for new players from my 5 years experience .

(...)

8. Don't fly what you can't afford to replace.

(...)

most important part.

anyway, there are ways to get into pvp fast, you need a decent "guild" tho. one that will grant you base ships for pvp (because that's what they focus on).

anyway, yes it takes some time till you get into "pvp", and that's why you SHOULD play eve actually :P

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    The OP makes a point, albeit unintentionally, that you can never really catch up to those who have been around a long time.  And, that is what is keeping me from even trying the game.   I wouldn't join a marathon where all the other runners have had a 15 mile head start.

this is basically not true and a common missunderstanding of how eve works.

a new player will not catch up to the total amount of skillpoints (SP's) of a veteran player that is true BUT it doesn't matter in the end.

the ship you fly determines your role no matter if you have 50, 100 or 200 mio SP's there is just a little SP's out of these that make me better at flying a ship i am currently in. there is hardly any ship that on it's own would take forever for a new player to reach, it's just the privileg of being able to fly more and more variants that takes forever but that's why i even after years still look forward to getting skills done, not that i use all the ships i could fly :P

so if you start now, look at the ships you'd like and work towards them there is a few that you can fly as good as a veteran player after a few weeks, others after a few months and a few more would take a year or more. sure for all you'd need 20+ years or something like that but yet most forget that in all ships you skill towards to and you have "learned" you are as good as a veteran player. a lot of the everyday fights are in ships you can fly quite fast.

sure eve is not like most games and encourages you to stay longer to  make the most out of it but it's the only game i have been with for more than 7 years...i mean i get older and want to play games that challenge me on my level and not games that get more and more tweaked towards 3 year olds :) in my book noone that loves mmo's should miss out on eve tho the first 3-4 months are a bit of a pain :)

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608

1. Don't ever trust anyone in eve .

2. Never fly alone 

This... does not compute.

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Krematory

1. Don't ever trust anyone in eve .

2. Never fly alone 

This... does not compute.

it leaves a lot out, sure, you should never trust blindly, but Eve is not a solo game, being in a corporation, and in turn, a corporation being in an alliance with other corporations, is a big thing. And while you can do quite a few things solo, its not really the point of the game as such, probably why a lot of themepark gamers have trouble with Eve, their so used to doing the solo thing that they have trouble when it comes to working with others, being a part of something. Basically if your a 'billy no mates' then Eve may well not be your game, though it might break people of the solo habit, or just break them.image

the OP springs to mind here image

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
     Quite frankly, no one said that EVE was a faceroll game. WoW is there for that. It boils down to if you want to think or not. People that like a challenge and like to think about what they are doing play EVE. People that don't like to think and don't like to work for the things they get ingame like WoW. Simple no? Sounds like you need to step into WoW and get over it. Also, CCP never stated, to my knowledge, that they wanted to be a WoW killer. In fact they were here before WoW. And they do see the big picture, they don't want a million people that are going to pick it up and drop it in a month. Most of their subscribers have been there for 5+ years. WoW gives yoou faceroll win. EVE gives you immersion. Plain and simple.
  • MdpatsMdpats Member UncommonPosts: 176
    EVE online is a completely different MMO period.  If you don't like the playstyle or play type then stay away.  That's why trials are offered, if you don't like it you don't have to play it.  Time to move on.
  • korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by RedMachine72
    EVE gives you immersion. Plain and simple.

100% agreed... 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Originally posted by ssunatzu
    Just making my recommendation to those who may be thinking about playing EVE Online. The game will take you 2 years to play before you can actively participate in null security space.  Anything less than this and you will die on a regular basis.  You lose your ship and possibly game time from death encounters. Unless you spend a lot of time 'farming' for replacement ISK(currency) you will have to buy PLEX to support your gaming lifestyle.  The numbers speak for themselves.  This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture.  To me this is called, "denial". Tell the game developers you do not approve of this by not playing EVE Online.  Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.  If you do not mind waiting for about 2 years to play effectvely, then go for it. I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

Nice troll Goonswarm lol.

People look at the bee smoking a cigar see it as their signature ? Thats the Goonswarm alliance logo. Don't listen to them they like to troll forums and post shit.

• ssunatzussunatzu Member Posts: 24
    How do goons manage to induce tears and rage so easily? This post made my day :-)
    thanks...rage is such an easy thing to do
    Goonswarm Recruitment Video

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Olgark
    Just making my recommendation to those who may be thinking about playing EVE Online. The game will take you 2 years to play before you can actively participate in null security space.  Anything less than this and you will die on a regular basis.  You lose your ship and possibly game time from death encounters. Unless you spend a lot of time 'farming' for replacement ISK(currency) you will have to buy PLEX to support your gaming lifestyle.  The numbers speak for themselves.  This game could be in contention against World of Warcraft but the developers do not see the big picture.  To me this is called, "denial". Tell the game developers you do not approve of this by not playing EVE Online.  Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.  If you do not mind waiting for about 2 years to play effectvely, then go for it. I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

Nice troll Goonswarm lol.

People look at the bee smoking a cigar see it as their signature ? Thats the Goonswarm alliance logo. Don't listen to them they like to troll forums and post shit.

dont know if its intentional but his bee + avatar make he looks like a retarded 10 year fat girl

• kovahkovah Member UncommonPosts: 692
    How do goons manage to induce tears and rage so easily? This post made my day :-)
    thanks...rage is such an easy thing to do
    Goonswarm Recruitment Video

I really miss the old SeBo and Torp splosion graphics...  :/

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Originally posted by Skooma2
    The OP makes a point, albeit unintentionally, that you can never really catch up to those who have been around a long time.  And, that is what is keeping me from even trying the game.   I wouldn't join a marathon where all the other runners have had a 15 mile head start.

The mistake you're making is in thinking of it as one 15 mile race. That is not accurate. Think of it more as twenty 1 mile races. Yes, people who've played longer than you will have more completed races than you, but in each particular race, not always so far ahead.

• Paradigm68Paradigm68 Member UncommonPosts: 890
    Wait, is someone actually complaining an MMO requires too long an investment of PLAYING? I wish EvE wasn't the only one.
  • MagiknightMagiknight Member CommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by SuperNick
    Originally posted by Magiknight
    Aren't you supposed to play an MMO for years? Who cares if it takes you two years to do something.

People want to be competitive and enjoy all aspects of the game - in order to do so in Eve you need to invest a LOT of time before reaching that stage. (If you want to be even remotely effective, that is.)

To draw on a more themepark MMO, imagine you want to raid the end-game raids with your buddies and they need a healer. Well, it's gonna take you 1 year of solid play to reach that level before you can begin to enjoy the raids.

The general entry barrier is what puts most new players off Eve - not to mention you will probably end up investing a lot of $$$ that you didn't expect to.

As for the themepark example, it should take you a long time to be able to raids and end game content. If your buddies started a long time before you then it should take you a long time to catch up with them. I can't stand any modern themepark that makes war on distances put between individual players. Your buddies can find another healer for raids. There should be other content you can do together in level capped areas and / or they can start a new class to play with you.

I do not like games that are pay to win either.

If you're playing an MMO then I think you should have to invest a lot of time in it.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

What I never like is somebody telling me I should not play some game. I have no problem with ARGUMENTS, one's view, points, .... then will decide. Otherwise I agree on EVE but I do not like it anyway because I do not like that kind of games.

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by mastergravy

there is total of 1667 skill ranks. each rank is 256k SP. total skill points equals 426,752,000.

at 2700 SP/hour, it would take about 18 years to learn all skills to level 5.

at 2100 SP/hour, it would take 23.2 years to learn all skills to level 5.

from there fourms-

do you really believe that just 20hours a week can get anywhere close to these numbers. lets just say at 100 hours a week. now with this fourmula your useing you belive there is 200k online now. iam sorry but i cant agree with your math you simply just shit out that holds no merit to the games real time table

I thought EVE had 1337 skill ranks.

Considering the OP, seeing as he is a Goon n all, I don't think he will ever get there.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Malcanis
    who ever in ther right minde believes that this game has 500k subs has lost there god damn minds. you can check this your self log in on any givin day at any time you will see only 50k-75k online. so lets get this right they have half a mil subs and only a fraction are playing the game. bull shit

I believe TQ has just under 400k subs. If you assume that an average eve player is logged in for 20 hours a week, then we'd expect to see an average of 400,000 x (20/168) = 47,600 online.

Maths is great!

there is total of 1667 skill ranks. each rank is 256k SP. total skill points equals 426,752,000.

at 2700 SP/hour, it would take about 18 years to learn all skills to level 5.

at 2100 SP/hour, it would take 23.2 years to learn all skills to level 5.

from there fourms-

do you really believe that just 20hours a week can get anywhere close to these numbers. lets just say at 100 hours a week. now with this fourmula your useing you belive there is 200k online now. iam sorry but i cant agree with your math you simply just shit out that holds no merit to the games real time table

How on earth is that relevant to concurrent players vs total subscribers?

Also, clearly you have never played EvE, if you had you would realise the hours you play have no bearing on the skill points you accumulate, NOT one single player will max out the skills in EvE for another decade or so.

I couldn't help but laugh at that guy. The man would literally slit his wrist when he realise that if I play 10 hours/w and he played 40 hours/w, we'd be the same level...

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    I had thought about playing EVE so I find this post quite informative. I've heard the stories and I'll side with the OP here and aviod the game as he/she suggests.
  • alantheceltalanthecelt Member Posts: 122

you shouldnt

get a trial account and try to find a noob friendly corp immidiately.... then make your own decision

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    Edit:  Not sure why I fell for it.  Trolled by Goons....... image

seems New Eden is small for their , they expanding

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I've attempted to start to play EVE several times.  I'm actually quite savvy when it comes to dealing with other players.  I remember having one of my cans stolen and talking the guy into giving my rocks back to me after I told him some convaluted imaginary story of big bad friends that would make his future gameplay a living hell.  THAT part of the game I enjoyed.  Sadly, the actual mechanics of the game weren't enough for me to keep subbing.  I'm a slave to traditional, I guess. I want a 3D avatar to move around.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    who ever in ther right minde believes that this game has 500k subs has lost there god damn minds. you can check this your self log in on any givin day at any time you will see only 50k-75k online. so lets get this right they have half a mil subs and only a fraction are playing the game. bull shit

Lol!

Try and do the math. Lets say that ALL players log on every day, a strech, but lets play. Lets say that they do spread out evenly during the day, another strech. Lets say they play 2 hours on avarage, probably not far off. (Might be a bit low, on the other hand we had all logged on once a day, which is very unlikely, so we are still assuming to many players online out of our small 500k pool.)

So 12 blocks of 2 hours. Spread out 500k players in those blocks and you about 42k player online in each block.

See?

According to http://www.eve-offline.net the current avarage is about 35k. It all fits nicely.

• ssunatzussunatzu Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by alanthecelt

you shouldnt

get a trial account and try to find a noob friendly corp immidiately.... then make your own decision

I believe I may have started the proper 'denial of service' to  EVE Online.  Gamers should never have to 'waste' their time.  I do not mind playing for awhile in order to get with the rest of the pack.  My objection from the get-go is the inhumane time to play with the big boys.  

A new player will never ever become a Fleet Commander of 100 ships or more without the skill points to back him up.  That is not going to happen within a 2 year time frame.

FYI, I do not want to make EVE to self-destruct without a consumer base.  I want CCP to step up and take responsibility to making this a better game.  I have had constructive arguments about MMOs in general.  The worst offender IMO is Lineage II.  Two games I will never go back to playing is Ultima Online and Lineage II.  This is because of the irresponsibility of the game developers and their lack of concern to the gamer.  I have had telephone convos with GMs in UO.  GMs who had the opportunity to make changes based on consumer complaints(mine).  And did nothing about it or probably couldnt because of management not allowing them to.

You say get a trial account and play the game?  I say read the critics of games before you make a decision.  My only positive statement I will make about EVE Online is, I will admit it is a challenging game.  Be prepared to do nothing(bored silly) for the first two years.  Admittedly, you can log on and train your account without actually playing.  Or, you can buy a ready made account on Ebay with all the skills you need.

FYI, if you have the intelligence to learn the market well you can use this to 'buy' a premade character.  It is not a stretch of truth to say an individual could make as much as 500,000 ISK per day playing the market.  Beware though CCP may look into how you make your funds if you do make that much per day.  Any character in the game can make an estimated 8-10 Billion ISK per month.  

thank you

• calranthecalranthe Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Say it is not so all that time wasted.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    How the hell does a SPACE SIMULATOR contend with a game like WoW?  Seriously, don't post ever again.