Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMO to play.

KortaiKortai Member Posts: 7

Hello folks,

I'm looking for an MMO to play, I'm not entirely certain where to start, so rather than saying what I'm looking for, I'll give you guys an idea of what I've played and see what suggestions come up.

Yes I'm a picky bastard when it comes to gaming, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

I played World of Warcraft for about a month, made it to max level, got bored, quit.  Lord of the Rings Online and Star Wars The Old Republic are much the same.  I played Age of Conan but it's really not what I'm looking for either.  I played Fallen Earth and it wasn't bad but I like fantasy settings.  I played Rift for a while, and it wasn't bad either, has a nice fast pace to it, but it seemed to lack the depth to maintain interest.  I even played Everquest 2, but it seemed to lack the polish put into the original.

Which brings me to Everquest, and I played EQ through the first 16 or 17 expansions.  However, I've had enough Everquest and I'm ready to move on, but I don't find any long term benefit or even interest in playing World of Warcraft or games with similar combat engines.  So where does that leave me?

Thanks in advance.

Kortai

Comments

• DilligDillig Member UncommonPosts: 123

Not exactly and mmorpg but it is an ARPG with the cities being open world and has lots of people in global chat.

Check out Path of Exile.

It is an awesome game.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I'm back playing LOTRO while I wait for some of these new hybrids and sandbox games to come out this year.  I have to say, LOTRO was done right.  Even though it's a oldschool themepark design, at least it's honest about it, and the environments are aw blast.  I having much more fun than I did playing GW2, Rift, etc.

If you play it though, I suggest just going VIP and skipping the F2P idea.  You can, of course, try out the early levels in F2P, but if you enjoy the game, VIP is worth it.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Here is the LFGame forum. You should try there, you will probably get less bitter and snappy responses.

I think you'd be in the F2P realm as you've exhausted all of the P2P options really.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• KortaiKortai Member Posts: 7
    I'm all for the jaded and bitter responses, but ya, my fault for not seeing/checking the LFGame forum.

Kortai

• ExelloExello Member UncommonPosts: 3

Have you tried Tera yet? It seems to fit the few criterea that you gave.

Combat engine is different, no tab targeting, you have to aim all of your attacks, even basic swings. It's group-oriented, though it can be solo'd. It's free to play now, which is always nice, and the cash shop isn't game-breaking. At the very least, I'd say it's worth a look.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    OP, since you get bored so quickly, I highly doubt any MMO will suit you. Probably better to spend the time/$$ on something else that you actually enjoy.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I would try Vanguard as it's more like the original EQ than EQ2. Big, natural world where most things are in depth. Hope you find what you are looking for.
  • worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Any interest in MMORTS?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Are you sure you want to play MMOs? Maybe you need to look for one that is very different or try a different genre.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    Originally posted by Kortai

Hello folks,

I'm looking for an MMO to play, I'm not entirely certain where to start, so rather than saying what I'm looking for, I'll give you guys an idea of what I've played and see what suggestions come up.

Yes I'm a picky bastard when it comes to gaming, but any recommendations would be appreciated.

I played World of Warcraft for about a month, made it to max level, got bored, quit.  Lord of the Rings Online and Star Wars The Old Republic are much the same.  I played Age of Conan but it's really not what I'm looking for either.  I played Fallen Earth and it wasn't bad but I like fantasy settings.  I played Rift for a while, and it wasn't bad either, has a nice fast pace to it, but it seemed to lack the depth to maintain interest.  I even played Everquest 2, but it seemed to lack the polish put into the original.

Which brings me to Everquest, and I played EQ through the first 16 or 17 expansions.  However, I've had enough Everquest and I'm ready to move on, but I don't find any long term benefit or even interest in playing World of Warcraft or games with similar combat engines.  So where does that leave me?

Thanks in advance.

Eve is the only thing i can think of that is available to play atm, but is sci-fi not fantasy, still worth a try if you haven't already.

If you don't like the polish of EQ2 then you're unlikely to like vanguard.  When I tried it(not lone before it went f2p) it felt like something soe bought up to sidetract so that it wouldn't interefere with the eq games.  But it's sort of free now so can't hurt to give it a try.

You could also try anarchy online(a bit old and not a huge population), ryzom(see previous) and uncharted waters online(ignore all references to eve for this one, but it is more uncharted dungeons/lockboxes online now).

Mostly I suggest you keep your fingers crossed that one of the up and comings will deliver(archeage and so on) I know I am.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

If you are bored with standard themepark MMOs you don't have a lot of choices.  There is Eve, but it has a steep learning curve and I hear you need to play it like it is your job.  I personally liked Rift but it didn't blow me away so I wandered around the other MMOs and then came back.  When I did I realized that it just seemed to do what everyone else was doing, but in the most polished way possible.  You might want to go back and give it another try, since my second impression was far better than my first and Trion busts out new content like crazy.

On the other hand, I am also keeping my eyes open for something a little different than the standard themepark MMO right now and my top two interests are Dust 514 and Defiance.  They are both console MMOs, which might add some novelty.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

Guild Wars 2?  Darkfall?

Coming soon:

ESO and Neverwinter.  You said fantasy, but TSW is a nice break from the genre if you want to try something different.  Defiance and Age of Wushu look interesting as well.

• KortaiKortai Member Posts: 7

Ya, I'll continue to wait for Elder Scrolls Online and Neverwinter, and keep an eye on FFXIV.

I hadn't been watching ArcheAge, but hey, couldn't hurt.

I figure there might be some hope around this time next year....maybe.

Kortai

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Hello Kitty Online

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Kortai
    Hello folks,

Thanks in advance.

Secret World?
    Ryzom?
    Ragnarok? ( know im drawing at straws there)
    AC2? (although ive havnt actually played that)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I would suggest you perhaps take a second look at RIFT.  While I no longer play RIFT, I would say that the game is much deeper than what it may seem at first.  There is a ton of content and character customization.  I would say that this might be the game you're looking for based on what you described.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Tera/GW2/TSW/VG

are the only interesting mmos to me atleast and they are all different.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com