Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The gamebreaker of EQ2

RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42

I still think EQ2 is the best themepark mmo ive played. not only in terms of design but also the lore and overall atmosphere.

The biggest problem with the game has wich made me quit playing is the performance. The game just doesnt look that great in contrast with its horrible performance. For years i have been trying to adjust myself to it. but now that there are engines with far superior visuals like GW2 that run totally smooth, its hard to accept the unstable performance.

I know the engine was created for single core processors and it will stay like this forever. It doesnt matter what rig you buy. no one is able to run this game with 60 FPS constantly on the highest quality. The visual quality itself is fine. but the slowdowns in faywder and later zones always needs adjustin over and over agan.

There is no way multicore support will get implented well because of the way the code is written. I think if this game gets redone on a smooth modern engine. it would get very popular. Many of my friends have quit because of the performance.

what are your thoughts on this?

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Rulero
    I still think EQ2 is the best themepark mmo ive played. not only in terms of design but also the lore and overall atmosphere.The biggest problem with the game has wich made me quit playing is the performance. The game just doesnt look that great in contrast with its horrible performance. For years i have been trying to adjust myself to it. but now that there are engines with far superior visuals like GW2 that run totally smooth, its hard to accept the unstable performance.I know the engine was created for single core processors and it will stay like this forever. It doesnt matter what rig you buy. no one is able to run this game with 60 FPS constantly on the highest quality. The visual quality itself is fine. but the slowdowns in faywder and later zones always needs adjustin over and over agan.There is no way multicore support will get implented well because of the way the code is written. I think if this game gets redone on a smooth modern engine. it would get very popular. Many of my friends have quit because of the performance.what are your thoughts on this?

Just last week i was browsing settings and it indeed claims to have multicore support?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Ran good on my ASUS gaming laptop.
  • RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42
    it claims it has yes.. but it has minimal impact. instead on trying to fix this they go the typical SOE way and ignore it and add stuff that makes it even more unstable like shader model 3
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

it claims it has yes.. but it has minimal impact. instead on trying to fix this they go the typical SOE way and ignore it and add stuff that makes it even more unstable like shader model 3

The killer for performance is CPU bound world shadows... If they ran that through the GPU it would be much better..

I dont think the threading is as much as an issue as things should be bound to the gpu..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348

Me and the wife play EQ2, she's running it on a laptop with a Nvidia m8600 gfx card in it and I run it on a desktop running a Nvida 290 card, and while she has to have the gfx settings set lower than I run mine on she's still able to get it looking 'pretty', and tbh gfx aren't the be all and end all in a game.

Bottom line is EQ2 runs ok on lower end machines just don't expect uber realistic gfx from an 8 year old game, for an 8 year old game it looks good and plays well, only thing thats going to tear me and the wife away from EQ2 will be EQnext.

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by vorpal28

Me and the wife play EQ2, she's running it on a laptop with a Nvidia m8600 gfx card in it and I run it on a desktop running a Nvida 290 card, and while she has to have the gfx settings set lower than I run mine on she's still able to get it looking 'pretty', and tbh gfx aren't the be all and end all in a game.

Bottom line is EQ2 runs ok on lower end machines just don't expect uber realistic gfx from an 8 year old game, for an 8 year old game it looks good and plays well, only thing thats going to tear me and the wife away from EQ2 will be EQnext.

Yup, same for me.  If I run it on my desktop the graphics are great and the performance is very smooth.  No problems whatsoever.  My laptop is another issue, but then I just turn some settings down and its fine. 

Oh, and as Nitth pointed out, turning off Shadows can make an enormous difference in performace.  I've had them turned off for years.

To the OP: I imagine if you are having performance issues, like everyone else, play with the settings until it runs better for you.  Or not, and find another game.  Comparing an 8 year old game to a game that was released just over 5 months ago is kind of silly, as well.  Of course there are going to be differences.

• GrootGroot Member UncommonPosts: 87
    The trick is to build a top of the line machine that would be top of the line in 2005 so you can run the game how it was intended.  
  • RuleroRulero Member UncommonPosts: 42

I think you understood me wrong. your reply sounds like im only interested in visual quality and that i care for graphics more then i do for the game. this is not true. but it is kind of demotivating of having 8 year old visuals with yet not being able to run smoothly like most if not all mmo's of the same release date do. 

I dont think the comparison is silly at all. im not comparing visual quality. im comparing performance. i think if they did invest some time in it it can get a lot better then it currently is. i didnt care for the game running on lower quality if th performance was consistent. heck i still play dos games

• AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

EQ2 was challenging to the hardware when it released 8 years ago even for the best PCs. If you can't run EQ2 at least with high settings on a 3 year old computer now, you are doing something wrong.

Nevertheless EQ2 graphics might not be as good as graphics of current MMOs but that would be an unfair comparison anyway. Just swith off your FPS meter and enjoy the game.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Nitth

The killer for performance is CPU bound world shadows... If they ran that through the GPU it would be much better..

I dont think the threading is as much as an issue as things should be bound to the gpu..

SOE made the mistake of being backwards compatible with Geoforce3

http://blog.gregsplace.com/2008/03/armchair-programmers-4tw.html

Dropping support for the GeForce3 sure does sound like an easy thing to do right? We probably just need to go in and deleted a line of code. Sorry, its not that easy. Support for older cards means that all of the shaders were written in ASM for shader version 1.1. We have thousands and thousands of shaders that would all need to be rewritten by artists in order to work on a new shader system.