Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 why the story implementation works(for me)

13»

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard
    Originally posted by grimal

First off, don't tell me how or what I should think.  That annoys me more than anything else.

Second, it's not the "obvious" because it's your opinion not mine.  I liked the inital change at first but when I look back it offers nothing significantly better than the traditional npc quests.  They both serve the same end-result and after you've done each through, one really isn't any better than the other as far as I'm concerned.

You're also over praising the innovation in what they did.  It was a sideways shift (maybe slightly forward), but it most certainly was not HUGE.  Methinks perhaps you may still be in that honeymoon phase.

I don't tell you how to think, but I'm a too old man not to recognize biased thinking when I see it.  When one refuses to accept even a tiny bit of the obvious, it's clear that he's biased and on an agenda.

Second... let's go for it. Your liking of this game is irrelevant here, your opinion too, we talk about facts. Just like a white horse and a black horse are of a different color... not an opinion, a fact. And GW2 having a significantly different approach to "questing" than your usual "WoW clone" or "Theme Park MMO" is not an opinion, it's an undeniable fact. We don't talk about what is better (which is opinion indeed), we talk about what is different (which is fact, 1 is not equal to 2).

Last... I've been playing MMORPGs since the early days of UO beta (and text MUDs before too)... I'm not a victim of "honeymoons". I never play MMORPGs I dislike for 6+ months... and GW2 is in its 6th month, still as fun as day one to me. And let me tell you it's quite actually funny that you start by tellling me to not (supposedly) tell you what you should think (which I didn't do), and then you end your post by telling me what I'm (supposedly) thinking. Pot calling the kettle black?

Aerowyn posted this thread asking for our thoughts and opinions.  I gave mine,  As your reply states, you are not interested in my opinions.  But you seem very keen on pushing your own opinions as fact.  You then admit that you routinely create new accounts over the years.  I suspect this has something to do with your overtly aggressive replies.

I think you are trying to pick a fight here. 

I'm here to discuss, not fight.  So going on with you is pointless at this point.

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Just didn't feel as cohesive as gw1 stories. Also building a relationship with the enemy was something missed in gw2. We all heard of zhaitan but never really interacted with or saw him until the very end. I didn't despise zhaitan as much as I should have and I didn't feel my actions towards the final goal were heroic enough. Things like the ascension in GW1 while in reality is just 3 annoying missions but because of how it was presented it felt important. You were to try to gain the attention the gods. GW2 You purify a special well you hadn't heard of until the mission before purifying it. 

GW Proph - met the vizier

Factions - Interacted with shiro several times

Nightfall - Warmaster Varesh 

EOTN - Destroyers were immediately introduced to build foundation of knowledge.

A lot of this storytelling was done through the badass cutscenes that were in GW1. I'd say almost all GW1 players don't like the GW2 cutscenes in comparison.

GW2 Fails to achieve this sense of unified goal in favor of the multi/personal story. While I enjoy some aspects of personal story I do wish that there were mandatory dungeons to complete story missions - giving people a reason to party, learn to party before high levels and really get that sense of a small group working toegether to beat stupid odds.

Of course the problem with this is the lack of a dungeon finder and/or the lack of heroes/henchmen. They were the fallback option if no-one was around but it would be a big problem in GW2 in its current state. Just not able to handle it atm. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I kinda likes how GW2 present the story and how it is totally optional so anyone not interested just can skip it. As for instancing I like that there, I dont have to watch all soloplayers playing storystuff and the open world can be focused on multiplaying.

That said, the story of GW2 have a bit varied quality, some stuff are really fun and some npc are well made. Others are not so great and some stuff is really bad.

But while I dont like instancing I kinda feel that the open world is kinda wasted on people who just want to run a solostory and GW2 handles this very well. We can of course discuss if a MMO needs a solostory at all but if it should have one then GW2 have it right.

Forcing people to run solostory like TOR is just not fun at all.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Magnetia

Just didn't feel as cohesive as gw1 stories. Also building a relationship with the enemy was something missed in gw2. We all heard of zhaitan but never really interacted with or saw him until the very end. I didn't despise zhaitan as much as I should have and I didn't feel my actions towards the final goal were heroic enough. Things like the ascension in GW1 while in reality is just 3 annoying missions but because of how it was presented it felt important. You were to try to gain the attention the gods. GW2 You purify a special well you hadn't heard of until the mission before purifying it. 

GW Proph - met the vizier

Factions - Interacted with shiro several times

Nightfall - Warmaster Varesh 

EOTN - Destroyers were immediately introduced to build foundation of knowledge.

A lot of this storytelling was done through the badass cutscenes that were in GW1. I'd say almost all GW1 players don't like the GW2 cutscenes in comparison.

GW2 Fails to achieve this sense of unified goal in favor of the multi/personal story. While I enjoy some aspects of personal story I do wish that there were mandatory dungeons to complete story missions - giving people a reason to party, learn to party before high levels and really get that sense of a small group working toegether to beat stupid odds.

Of course the problem with this is the lack of a dungeon finder and/or the lack of heroes/henchmen. They were the fallback option if no-one was around but it would be a big problem in GW2 in its current state. Just not able to handle it atm. 

Yeah, GW1 did indeed have a lot better cutscenes. But frankly do I rather have little focus on that and the devs putting the work into parts of the game where I actually play instead of watching stuff happens. After all did everyone have the same cutscenes in GW1 and that would be loads of work to implement in GW2. I dont want another MMO with a high budget put in cutscenes.

And yes, a dungeonfinder wouldnt hurt.