Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Twitch wants video brodcasting to be standard in your MMO experience.

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

Just been anounced that "Red 5 Studios that will bring real-time streaming support to" F2P MMO shooter Firefall has teamed up with Twitch in a effert to try to allow "video streaming services like Twitch become commonplace. "Video broadcasting will soon be a standard, expected piece of the gaming experience with innovative companies like Red 5 making it possible by pioneering the way it's built into games." - according to Twitch vice president of marketing Matthew DiPietro

Now I have to disagree with this guy Mathew DiPietro because I belive he is just trying to pump up the player in a greed like fashion to make players belive that future MMO's and gaming in general can not live with out some kind of video chat or live chat for that matter. It is not nessesary for PVE grinding. It is not nessesary for raids even since we used programs like Vent or Teamspeak that work just fine and to invoke live stream from twitch to try to shove this down gamers faces is wrong.

For one it will slow down your game since streaming video will demand more of your lat and bandwidth. This in turn will slow down your frame rate.

All I can see this attempt to combine Twitch and MMO's is a complete fail. Just a gimmick to make the average player spend more money on a what is spose to be a F2P game to begin with were does the madness end??

Comments

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    There wasn't much to the article, but it seems to me they meant it will be a basic functionality in games.   I don't know the current procedure for streaming on twitch, but it seems to me they are trying to make it as simple as selecting an option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by thinktank001
    There wasn't much to the article, but it seems to me they meant it will be a basic functionality in games.   I don't know the current procedure for streaming on twitch, but it seems to me they are trying to make it as simple as selecting an option.

That's what I got from it, as well.

Red 5 seems to be paving the way for Firefall to become an eSport, so it's entirely possible that they foresee a lot of live streaming in the game's future. If that's the case, it makes sense that they'd want to make some money off it since others very well will be doing so.

As to the OP's question of "Is it a good thing?"  Live streaming as an added feature is a good thing. A person doesn't have to use it if they don't want to, but having it there for those that like it just adds more enjoyment or engagement to the game for them.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by greenreen

This won't be the first time streaming has been tried as tied into the game.

Before I casted on Twitch I was doing it on Xfire. Xfire was able to recognize lots of games and gave you a one button start and stop. 

When I use twitch it is bandwidth intense, you are right about that. Xfire was better at resource usage and you really couldn't tell. Using flash media encoder my computer can jump to 80% usage with dual clients. I would run two versions of the client each on two cores then the encoder would have the other 2. Using a six-core with 10g ram.

I don't think everyone needs to cast. There are some boring people with the personality of peaches out there. Casting requires you to interact with people or else it's no better than a youtube video.

Twitch has a bigger issues anyway for new people. Two things - own3d shut down so more people went to twitch. Twitch took off the paging many months ago that let small people get found by searching backwards. It's difficult for people to get viewers. Without viewers they usually end up stopping casting after a few months. Everyone starts with enthusiasm but day after day of taxing your computer and bandwidth and sometimes experiencing self-inflicted lag while you look around and see other casters with thousands of viewers that are always featured by twitch and featured on the homepage, they end up leaving simply because twitch doesn't care about small casters that aren't a super strong personality. There are just too many average joes out there to focus on everyone. There are some politics and cliques too. Lots of the bigger casters support each other and send their viewers to each other, they rarely choose a nobody to bomb and when they do, it's only for a joke, not to actually send them viewers. The sad part is that the people that do get viewers on their own are jackass type people. There's a guy that beats his head on the keyboard until it bleeds, plenty that get drunk on their cast and cursing - wow, cursing just brings in more people. Then there is a guy that falls asleep on his cast all the time because of pain meds begging for money - lots of people beg for money, he isn't special in that regard. Twitch isn't exactly "classy" if you know what I mean.

I'm casting a lot less than I used to. I really hated that paging change and I don't see much incentive for new people to start doing it. It's a bigger uphill battle than when I started. There are just too many people doing it and not enough good ways to find them offered by the site. At xmas they featured 5 people puking at a party with a big plastic trashcan. Again, not so classy.  It's not always quality but shock value that intrigues them. The site pushes the most popular casts. Sometimes they really lag too, I don't see what makes them think their servers can handle more people. They say too that you can't use copyrighted music, there are all sorts of casts doing it and they never punish them. The only people I ever saw say they were told to stop were the small guys. Any day of the week you can find LOL players saying nothing playing copyrighted music and no reprimands because they have lots of viewers. If you have rules that aren't reinforced evenly...welll...

Bottom line, xfire already did it and it wasn't a sweeping success and they offered a messenger along with the casting capability.

TY for sharing your experience. I feel knowlage is power and by all means this kind of knowlage you gave to us by your bad experience should help those see the properganda that is behind twitch in general.

I never used xfire so I cant give any thoughts on it one way or anouther but from what little I do know it seems to be a fair program to use.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

Yes yes yes. Any and all forms of discussion for a community is a good thing.  The chat box during a stream is a great way to get a sense of how people are feeling about a game.  It's also a fun way to share your experience with others.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Red 5 seems to be paving the way for Firefall to become an eSport, so it's entirely possible that they foresee a lot of live streaming in the game's future. If that's the case, it makes sense that they'd want to make some money off it since others very well will be doing so.

As to the OP's question of "Is it a good thing?"  Live streaming as an added feature is a good thing. A person doesn't have to use it if they don't want to, but having it there for those that like it just adds more enjoyment or engagement to the game for them.

Im sure you are right there will be some who feel it is a good thing and if it works for them and give them enjoyment great then by all means use it. My biggest concern is that they are going to try to saturate MMO gaming with Twitch and make it a standard part of the game. This to me would be a sad mistake if DEVs allow this for future or even if current titles try to incorporate Twitch. Can you imangine games like WoW or SWTOR or even GW2 incorporating twitch into the games current UI? I think many players would have a crap storm.

• Got_Game_TVGot_Game_TV Member UncommonPosts: 262

As someone who is relatively new to casting on Twitch, I've got to agree that it is incredibly difficult to break into viewiership.  I've been streaming every day this year and I still only get like 5-10 repeate viewers who come every day.  Just having that small community makes gaming a bit more fun though.  It gives you something to do in downtime as you can just chat with people (thought with a small delay).  

I think game companies including Twitch casting as an OPTION is a great thing for casting in general.  If casting was viewed more similarly to TV, more people would keep it running in the background.  Good for casters, good for gamers.  It would be nice if professional gaming (sc2, lol, etc) were seen as a more legitimiate career option similar to sports.  Just my thoughts.

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428
    Why do people even watch these streams? I'd rather play the game instead of sitting around watching someone else play. :/
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    While I can't say I would use such a service, I believe stuff like twitch is beneficial to the gaming community on the whole and have no problem with it being tied to MMOs.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

Originally posted by Isturi

Im sure you are right there will be some who feel it is a good thing and if it works for them and give them enjoyment great then by all means use it. My biggest concern is that they are going to try to saturate MMO gaming with Twitch and make it a standard part of the game. This to me would be a sad mistake if DEVs allow this for future or even if current titles try to incorporate Twitch. Can you imangine games like WoW or SWTOR or even GW2 incorporating twitch into the games current UI? I think many players would have a crap storm.

Maybe I'm missing something here. What would be the cause of the 'crap storm'? How would integrated support for streaming video negatively affect WOW or GW2, especially those not using it?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Salio69
    Why do people even watch these streams? I'd rather play the game instead of sitting around watching someone else play. :/

To pass time when eating? My kids, when they eat alone, they always watch some gaming video. You can't really play when you eat, right?

Secondly, they also multitask. You can play game A and watch game B at the same time.

You make the erroneous assumptions that:

a) they are not playing when they are watching, and

b) they can play when they are watching (for example, they cannot when they are eating)

Maybe I'm missing something here. What would be the cause of the 'crap storm'? How would integrated support for streaming video negatively affect WOW or GW2, especially those not using it?

Well I may of over reacted a bit but ok Ive played WoW not playing anymore but if I were and lets say the next patch Twitch was going to be intergraded in the UI ok right now it maybe be true that I would have the option to not use it regardless of it is intergraded in my solo play of WoW ok fine np but now lets say I want to raid and the raid I despertly want to go on is set up for twitch so now I have two choices not to raid and wait for some pug group to get formed and you and I both know that is not going to happen anytime soon or be force to use twitch and raid. OK now the domino effect will happen because you and I both know that it is not happening to me but to millions of other users that are not happy about being force to raid with twitch or dont raid at all. Guess what a crap storm will brew.

Vent or teamspeak work just fine as I stated in OP no need to stream a raid or whatever to take away my bandwidth my lat for stupid streaming video.

To each thier own. Hey if you like the idea of having twitch in your MMO experience then more power to you. Stream Away.image

Well I may of over reacted a bit but ok Ive played WoW not playing anymore but if I were and lets say the next patch Twitch was going to be intergraded in the UI ok right now it maybe be true that I would have the option to not use it regardless of it is intergraded in my solo play of WoW ok fine np but now lets say I want to raid and the raid I despertly want to go on is set up for twitch so now I have two choices not to raid and wait for some pug group to get formed and you and I both know that is not going to happen anytime soon or be force to use twitch and raid. OK now the domino effect will happen because you and I both know that it is not happening to me but to millions of other users that are not happy about being force to raid with twitch or dont raid at all. Guess what a crap storm will brew.

Vent or teamspeak work just fine as I stated in OP no need to stream a raid or whatever to take away my bandwidth my lat for stupid streaming video.

To each thier own. Hey if you like the idea of having twitch in your MMO experience then more power to you. Stream Away.image

I think you're reading too much into what Twitch is or does but I'm not a raider, so maybe I'm missing it. Twitch isn't a communication app like Vent or TS. It's a streaming service. If a raid is 'set up for twitch' you appear in someone else's stream. That doesn't require anything extra on your part.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

To pass time when eating? My kids, when they eat alone, they always watch some gaming video. You can't really play when you eat, right?

Secondly, they also multitask. You can play game A and watch game B at the same time.

You make the erroneous assumptions that:

a) they are not playing when they are watching, and

b) they can play when they are watching (for example, they cannot when they are eating)

if you are doing something else while playing a game, you arent playing the right game.

i wouldn't know about the "watching and eating part."

we eat at the dinner table and theres no pcs/tvs allowed there.

I think you're reading too much into what Twitch is or does but I'm not a raider, so maybe I'm missing it. Twitch isn't a communication app like Vent or TS. It's a streaming service. If a raid is 'set up for twitch' you appear in someone else's stream. That doesn't require anything extra on your part.

Games like WoW or GW2 or SWTOR etc take a lot of bandwidth for raiding and if you are playing on a older PC not only will your bandwidth go down but as mention your lat and frame rate with Twitch and raiding combine. This would be a huge cause for concern for me since sadly I am using a older PC to play my MMO's I have no prob at all raiding with TS or vent I am just afraid that straming video will slow down the raid even more regardless of who is using it or not.

If I am wrong then ok. This thread is about thoughts about how other players may feel about twitch and thier MMO experience.

TY for your thoughts.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

Why people watch football, if they can play it?

Do you think that all those people are onyl watching the games and not playing them?

If you are a fan of a certain game, it is also nice to check how other people are playing the game. Sometimes you even learn something new. And also, livestreams are not just about watching, there's interaction, which is the key thing if you ask me.

Originally posted by Emrendil

Why people watch football, if they can play it?

Do you think that all those people are onyl watching the games and not playing them?

If you are a fan of a certain game, it is also nice to check how other people are playing the game. Sometimes you even learn something new. And also, livestreams are not just about watching, there's interaction, which is the key thing if you ask me.

It's also a way to see content you may not have done yet. You get to see how others play through it and different strategies to handle it.

people who need to copy another person's strategy just means they aren't good enough to come up with something on their own.
  • anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903

Considering I've watched top streamers for Starcraft/Dota/LoL...  I'd say it does have a place.

But MMOs are not even a proper game, so it's a lost cause trying to stream them in 99% of cases.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

I think it will be a definite plus for some gamers, but for most, it will go unused.

I can see the use for end-game content and watching a guild/raid trying to clear something for the first time. It doesn't really need to be included with the game.

Can't imagine they will force players to use the functionality. Probably a toggle button in the settings or something like it.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    people who need to copy another person's strategy just means they aren't good enough to come up with something on their own.

I disagree with this.

Basically what I've learned from MOBAs is that streams aren't really copied at all.   Most players realize that they don't have the same type of intuition of the streamer.   The same amount of time to invest.  or an assortment of other things. 

However what someone watching a stream will learn is how someone else plays, and how players that are deeper down the rabit hole will respond to each other.   This will essentially means that in a PvPer game they learn the "worse case scenrios", and in a PvE game they'll learn the "best case scenrios".   Even though they won't see those cases in their game play, it does loesly affect their planning.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199
    Originally posted by anemo

Considering I've watched top streamers for Starcraft/Dota/LoL...  I'd say it does have a place.

But MMOs are not even a proper game, so it's a lost cause trying to stream them in 99% of cases.

Just check Towelliee, one of the top MMO streamers. Getting around 2.5k viewers per day. Or Reckful, around 9k viewers per day.