Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun > "The Ultimate MMORPG"

RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

I'm decided that in 2013 I'm going to stop trying to be an armchair "developer" and just play.  When I first heard of Wildstar, caught myself trying to decide if a cartoony art style would work in today's MMOsphere, and then I began to analyze the combat and began judging if hybrid combat was really the way to go, or if tab targeting was ready for a comeback.  I started to dissect the themepark elements and began guessing as to how linear everything would be.... yada, yada, yada.

Then I watched today's video about the Dominion.  For a split second, I forgot that I was a long-time gamer and just let myself be entertained.  What I saw actually looked fun.  FUN! I almost forgot what fun was.  I realized (am realizing) that I spend so much time trying to dissect the beast, I usually end up killing it.  

This time when I start following the game, I'm looking for the fun factor more than I'm looking at features. Who knows, it might be just me but I've spent too much time analyzing games instead of just playing them and actually having fun with them.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Comments

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

the art of the game certainly is what make me worried the most, dont like it at all, seen through the video´s.   but do love to hear the developers talk about their design, and most of their cartoons are rather fun - but Id hope their quests and events, is as intresting as they make it sound like, so far the talk is awesome....and could even survive the art style for a game made with some creativity.

wildstar aint the MMO Im looking for, but it gives an image of it being a fun game....and well I like fun games.  and think the OP is correct, too often you read people complaining about details being game breaking....my detail is questing, I have yet to perceive MMO solo and enmasse questing, as fun and/or intresting in anyway - used to like it in EQ2 at launch, but then it werent the quests I liked but trying to find the quests : P   then ofc heritage/epic quests.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Cheers, man. :) You'll probably end up playing and enjoying a wider range of games than you normally would have.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• WontoonRooWontoonRoo Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by Roxtarr

I'm decided that in 2013 I'm going to stop trying to be an armchair "developer" and just play.  When I first heard of Wildstar, caught myself trying to decide if a cartoony art style would work in today's MMOsphere, and then I began to analyze the combat and began judging if hybrid combat was really the way to go, or if tab targeting was ready for a comeback.  I started to dissect the themepark elements and began guessing as to how linear everything would be.... yada, yada, yada.

Then I watched today's video about the Dominion.  For a split second, I forgot that I was a long-time gamer and just let myself be entertained.  What I saw actually looked fun.  FUN! I almost forgot what fun was.  I realized (am realizing) that I spend so much time trying to dissect the beast, I usually end up killing it.  

This time when I start following the game, I'm looking for the fun factor more than I'm looking at features. Who knows, it might be just me but I've spent too much time analyzing games instead of just playing them and actually having fun with them.

YES. This, this, a thousand times this.

I do believe that an MMO, at its core, needs to be fun first. Always! You can have the toughest, most hardcore MMORPG ever with innovative ideas with immersion that has the pull of a black hole, but if it's not fun then you have a problem.

I've been curious about Wildstar for quite some time, and to me it really looks like it would be a blast to play. Bonus points for the cartoon aesthetic they are using.

• ZandilZandil Member UncommonPosts: 252

The thing I love the most about this game is I watch the vids and instead of going WOW that looks cool or can't wait to get that bit of gear or skill, I smile and have a little giggle to myself at the comedy in this game.

It's been awhile since I really laughed while enjoying a game, really hope they keep the comedy side up on the inside of the game. 

( wet my britches ) I watch that bit over and over

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    - 50 hipster points
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Congrats on the epiphany.  I wish I could find that.  All I see is game mechanics.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'm decided that in 2013 I'm going to stop trying to be an armchair "developer" and just play.  

Who knows, it might be just me but I've spent too much time analyzing games instead of just playing them and actually having fun with them.

Sounds like a plan. Stay far away from forums, too.

Less exposure to bitter negativity, it does a body good.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Bravo man... gaming like a sir!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• EmanioAmorEmanioAmor Member Posts: 7
    The cartoony aspect and tab targetting is really getting to me as well. But i'm willing to look past it so far because the good outways the bad when it comes to the other areas.
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by EmanioAmor
    The cartoony aspect and tab targetting is really getting to me as well. But i'm willing to look past it so far because the good outways the bad when it comes to the other areas.

Somebody missed the video on "free-form" targetting.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by MyBoot

The thing I love the most about this game is I watch the vids and instead of going WOW that looks cool or can't wait to get that bit of gear or skill, I smile and have a little giggle to myself at the comedy in this game.

It's been awhile since I really laughed while enjoying a game, really hope they keep the comedy side up on the inside of the game. 

( wet my britches ) I watch that bit over and over

I pray to God that it's not just marketing but it's actually comedy from the developers.  It would be sad if this kind of atmosphere wasn't in the game.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Fun? You decide. 30 minutes of gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DCqgowlTKo
    Originally posted by mmprime

Gah, I want to play this even more now LOL

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Hopefully the game is F2P if it ends up going B2P I won't even waste my time. Subscription based it has just signed its own death certificate.
    Originally posted by trenshod
    Hopefully the game is F2P if it ends up going B2P I won't even waste my time. Subscription based it has just signed its own death certificate.

Ah, I'm tempted to get back in my armchair developer chair LOL. Personally, I could care less of the monetization they use if the game is as fun as it looks.  Sub fees have never been the reason I've left a game ... the GAME has always been the reason I've left a game. If it's a good game and it's fun, it's worth the sub.  I think we spend so much time trying to second guess people that we often  miss what's really important about a game.

• WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by mmprime

Watched the video and it seems like a hybridization of everything we know today...

1) Telegraphed combat... which although I haven't played WOW for years is like a DBM for every encounter and also less restrictive that tab target.

2) Typical quest hub game... Go to town get stacks of quests and do them, rinse repeat... Also some dynamic elements

3) The Path system... This seems new however by the way they describe it you need to pidgeon hole yourself for a particular path... What if I want to be the combat guy and I like to explore... does this mean I need to role an alt... This if at least my initial impression is correct is very disappointing. You should be able to rank up each role and unlock various content based on your commitment to that particular path.

4) PvP... I hearda lot of instance this, instance that, instance... I mean c'mon, wtf... why can't we see a game like this with open world? What is the friggin fear of this? It seems long gone are the days where you can sit on a perch and pick off people one by one... I am not talking greifing just open world "it's dangerous out there" PvP... No everything needs to be fairsies, 5v5, 10v10, or "duel me" or BG's or whatever... I mean fk WOW has open world (or at least it did when I played) . Why can't we save the instance PvP and controlled environments for MOBA's.

I don't want to rattle off a cliche and say WOW clone, however it is walking that fine line of aesthetic, and standard WOW gamestyle... As for what it does on the innovative side, how long before the 800 pound gorilla "borrows" it ands it? All it takes is an expansion or even content patch to add the very same things.

Just seems to me that given the very similar playstyles people will flock toward the shiney new thing... then return back home when it becomes redundant.

Or maybe I'm just one of these bitter old vet curmudgeons that has a hard time being optimistic.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

I love the art style, and catering to explorers, is great in my book. If it's b2p i'll buy it instantly. Still very burnt from sub games though so I'd have to give that a pass.

@Wighty If you want to do another path's content you just have to make friends with someone on that path, since it's open content once opened.

I like mmos rewarding grouping. Soloing is just too ubiquitous :/