Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PoE's problems are too big.

2»

Comments

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Leap slammed my Maurader from 20-46 today. xp is easy if you know what places to farm. The gme certainly has its frustrations at times. Some mobs are just to powerful and I have to avoid a lot of life leech bosses on my maurader that i never had to avoid on my witcher build. Defense is very overpowered in this game because offense boosts still dont make the kills that much faster...some mobs just dont wanna die and have silly large hp pools or elemental resists, etc. I think the game is a tad to hard in its act 3 setting of merciless but this is the first time I have really felt "stuck" momentarily. I am also a soloer. Snakes kick my witchers booty. Thankfully minions are amazing and tank the game for her. Hard games are good, that much i know. If I had already hit lvl 100 id be pretty dissapointed.

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• HeroEvermoreHeroEvermore Member Posts: 672
    Originally posted by Tsumoro
    Originally posted by adam_nox

If you have a group of friends to play this with, and are willing to spec defense, you will probably have fun. 

If not, then your fun won't last.  I gimped my char.  I don't play long hours, so it took me a long time to get to 30, and I will wait before starting over.  I went all offense, and even then I don't kill things fast solo, but they kill me fast, including usually 1-shotting my minions. 

I'm so bad I barely made it to act 3, only after starting my own group advertising open portal to vaal.  Vaal had 5 spitters summoned, and if there was a hint of lag or I failed ot move constantly, I was insta killed.  This was after I had switched from evasion armor to armor armor and got rid of necro aegis just so I wouldn't die in one hit to normal enemies.

It's too bad too.  With the sphere grid there's a lot of potential, but it's wasted in the way enemies attack and damage you, making defensive nodes 10x better, and minions constantly horrible. 

So I wanted to group, but every open group I found was just people scattered about, usually having already completed whatever the group was started for.   And if you can get people together in one spot for a boss kill, they will ninja your loot before you can even run to pick it up. 

I never thought I'd praise D3's multiplayer game setup, but at least with it, people would generally be on the same page and everyone have their own loot.  It's too bad the the game in general wasn't like D2.  Imagine getting to just join instantly a cow level or baal run without having to use the lobby.  It would have been sweet.  But oh well. 

So I've only played solo, and my char is a glass gimp.  I'll either wait till the game evolves or until I can convince a couple people to play with me.  Tired of taking spitters to the face.  (oh and don't even get me started on the instance reset timers).

I feel for you I really do, but I don't think this is a problem with the game. Its working as its intended. The thing is, if you have played other ARPG's like Diablo or Torchlight you might have fallen down the 'expectation trap'. That is because the games work differently. 

With Torchlight and Diablo, you essentially play the game, level up and with their limited builds in place no matter the options you pick you can't really 'gimp' your character. You are able to change things around and progress. This is to push through the game and reach the conclusion of the story and perhaps, if you are interested push into NG+ or the next difficulty etc. 

Path of Exile is differen't. It is a challenge based game. The idea and premise about the game (which for me as been pretty apparent from all the media about the game released) is that you take this massive build tree, skills, gear and flasks and make a build to push as FAR as you can take it. The idea is to make interesting builds and keep plugging away as far as you can. Reaching the level cap of 100 is not the objective, its to push yourself further and further. 

Now, for me I made a ranger and wanted to make a glass cannon (much like how you did) and found that I got to around act 3 doing the very first mission whihc I think was the lovers one and I was getting my ass handed to me. So much so I decided to start again. I therefore made a Marauder and tried to make my own build, taking away what I thought would be the norm cookie cutter like build and started to think how I wanted to play, what skills, what weapons etc etc. I pushed harder and harder and I was happy with the results. 

During this play I got myself some nice loot, stuff I put into my bank. Then when I re-visited my ranger build I found that the gear was very viable for the build I had made, I repceed 2 points, moved a passive around and changed a skill gem and hey presto I was able to push further with my ranger. 

Its what I love about this game, it have a lot of personality to it. 

Great insight. /tips hat

Hero Evermore
    Guild Master of Dragonspine since 1982.
    Playing Path of Exile and deeply in love with it.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Trap builds are bad design. For example, right now Evasion builds are quite crappy in PoE. In fact, most Ranger builds go for Iron Reflexes ASAP. However, Evasion may look ok to a new player, unless that new player follows the forums. Following the forums shouldn't be required to enjoy a video game. A player shouldn't get punished for the developers' mistakes.

All of this leads back to the old-school features present in PoE, such as the lack of full respecs. Some think it's hardcore. I think it leads to either spending hours making your build (cool, but most people don't want to), copying a build from the net (not cool) or gimping yourself (not cool). Most importantly, it does not encourage creativity, because creativity requires experimentation and most of us simply don't have the time or willingness to experiment 20+ hours per build.

• jpnolejpnole Member UncommonPosts: 1,698
    Originally posted by adam_nox

If you have a group of friends to play this with, and are willing to spec defense, you will probably have fun. 

If not, then your fun won't last.  I gimped my char.  I don't play long hours, so it took me a long time to get to 30, and I will wait before starting over.  I went all offense, and even then I don't kill things fast solo, but they kill me fast, including usually 1-shotting my minions. 

I'm so bad I barely made it to act 3, only after starting my own group advertising open portal to vaal.  Vaal had 5 spitters summoned, and if there was a hint of lag or I failed ot move constantly, I was insta killed.  This was after I had switched from evasion armor to armor armor and got rid of necro aegis just so I wouldn't die in one hit to normal enemies.

It's too bad too.  With the sphere grid there's a lot of potential, but it's wasted in the way enemies attack and damage you, making defensive nodes 10x better, and minions constantly horrible. 

So I wanted to group, but every open group I found was just people scattered about, usually having already completed whatever the group was started for.   And if you can get people together in one spot for a boss kill, they will ninja your loot before you can even run to pick it up. 

I never thought I'd praise D3's multiplayer game setup, but at least with it, people would generally be on the same page and everyone have their own loot.  It's too bad the the game in general wasn't like D2.  Imagine getting to just join instantly a cow level or baal run without having to use the lobby.  It would have been sweet.  But oh well. 

So I've only played solo, and my char is a glass gimp.  I'll either wait till the game evolves or until I can convince a couple people to play with me.  Tired of taking spitters to the face.  (oh and don't even get me started on the instance reset timers).

Ahhh once again Mr. Nox chimes in to bash PoE. For your assistance, I highlighted the reasons why PoE is not working out for you in your own words in red font. Personally I am straight melee marauder level 54 Act 3 Cruel and still going strong. Also your argument about ninja looters is null and void. There is no such thing as ninja looting. The rules of the game are you get to your drop before the timer is up or it's up for grabs. If you run in a pack of six in one of the good farming friendly maps, the drops will be so frequent that even if you get a few things "ninja'd", you will still get more rares & orbs than if you solo. Also the best thing to do is start your own multiplayer game, open a portal and wait for a few players to come through. Then all of you go off and start together. I will say that PoE is not a game for ARPG amateurs or those who like it easy. Your thread title is nothing more that a rationalization or excuse for not having learned to play PoE yet.