Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old 2007 Runescape to Come Back?

http://services.runescape.com/m=news/2007---old-school-runescape-you-vote

Runescape is holding a vote for 2 weeks starting Feb 15th for 2 weeks. What do you think of this?

Comments

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

So Runescape is probably gonna get a classic server but WoW can't even make one Vanilla server?

/boggle

• BanaghranBanaghran Member Posts: 869

Finally some interesting news.

I would surely enjoy a look back, if only for the purpose of the old game running smoothly on my 2 year old work laptop, something the new verson fails to do :)

Flame on!

:)

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Given all the bits and pieces to an MMO, it's impressive that such a project is actually viable.  It's also interesting to see the actual thresholds of interest required to trigger different business decisions.

I can't say I personally have any interest in turning back the clock in any game I've ever played, but given that there do seem to be people who do get deep pangs of nostalgia, it will be interesting to see how far this goes.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

(IMHO) They're doing this a bit too late, they've lost too many players for this to help.

Apparently they don't have a very good backup policy:

Our team then set out to see if we had a backup that went that far back; if restoring the backup was even technically possible; and what specific content these potential old RuneScape backups might contain.

The team has spent many late nights and the past weekend digging through dusty old backups and restoring them, in the hope of finding more than just the old IT manager's MP3 collection of 80s rock power ballads! ?

Finally, I’m very happy to report that we have indeed managed to recover a full RuneScape backup from August 2007. This is a complete snapshot of the game, which we have been able to verify would work, with some time and effort invested in it. Ironically, in October 2007 we actually changed our backup systems, so we have no complete content versions from August onwards that are viable for this purpose.

• fernetekfernetek Member Posts: 61
    If the free version is the one they choose, I'll definitely pop into it to give it a try at least.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

This is fantastic news! That's when runescape was awesome.

Just did some research, yes as I thought, Auguest 2007 is BEFORE THE GRAND EXCHANGE.

Player run marketplaces again will be the design I hope instead of listing everything on a trade broker.

Edit: Wow, the official thread has 678 pages of posts in only one day... it amazes me how popular runescape remains even to this day. Definitely second only to WoW for the most successful MMO of all time.

• VernamVernam Member UncommonPosts: 50
    That's awesome. I wish other games would do this. I would love to play FFXI again (2003-2005) version.