Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Top MMO clan players who play like it's a job - what do they do for a living?

Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

In DUST - and probably in all MMORPGs - there seems to be several hundered players who are in the top few clans or guilds. They are the elite of the game - by a large margin - and they seem to play the game like it's a job. 

If there is a tournament, their clans will be the top few teams.

If you want to join them, the expectation is that you play the game like it's a job as well.

But how do these people find the time? What do they do for a living?

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has an insight into this.

Comments

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Are they maybe sponsored? Stay at home parents? Work from home? Ebay, digital game items ect. That would be my guess at least.

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

In DUST - and probably in all MMORPGs - there seems to be several hundered players who are in the top few clans or guilds. They are the elite of the game - by a large margin - and they seem to play the game like it's a job. 

If there is a tournament, their clans will be the top few teams.

If you want to join them, the expectation is that you play the game like it's a job as well.

But how do these people find the time? What do they do for a living?

I'm just curious as to whether anyone has an insight into this.

I played in these clans when I was very young. I remember my teammates like this:

#1. A few of them were just graduating HS. If they did have a job, if was something like a part-time stock boy. Understandable for a 16-17 year old.

#2. A few members of the guild were millionares. I remember one of them telling me how he had started and sold a CISCO-related network company for a few million. He had everything paid off, money in the bank, and time on his hands.

#3. Most of the players all had jobs. They were married, too. After they worked for 8 hours, they simply played. I think some of them might have had some marriage issues. No all, though.

#4. Some just lived at home with little to no responsibilities.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Most of them live in there mother's basement................sad thing is...........I'm not even trolling when I say that.......
  • aWRAYaWRAY Member Posts: 84

I'm sure most rely on someone else's income to support themselves. How and why they are in that situation, well, there are unlimited possibilities.

Edit; A few years back I was able to reach the top 5 guilds in GvG for the original Guild Wars. How was I able to spend 12-16 hours a day playing a video game? Well, my parents were spun out on drugs and didn't care.

Don't be so quick to judge the person as a basement dweller with no life. I'm sure there is reason behind their habits.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    I used to be in a hardcore raiding guild, and one of the guildmate is a divorced stay-at-home mom. She literally plays all day till her kids come home.
  • I played hardcore while I was pregnant. It's not that I was being lazy either. My nausea was simply so awful that I couldn't do anything other than sit or lay in bed. 

After I had my son I went back to being a casual player in MMOs. I really don't see anyone with a full time job keeping up with those guilds. 

As for who was in them? People with part time jobs, students, people from 18-20 who simply mooch off their parents without going to school or work  - and yes, sponsored people. They actually get paid to be in the top guilds. 

There are kids who ask their parents to sponsor a year long trip to Europe. Financially, I'd rather my kids want to stay home for a year with a $15/mo game. The mooching isn't that awful. They are taking some time off and enjoying themselves. Nothing wrong with that. 

Now, if they are 30 years old and still living with their parents without contributing financially - there is something wrong. 

I do have to disagree with the 'marriage trouble' bit. There were some couples who simply played the game as their romantic time together. That's what I do with my man! Nothing better than ordering in, killing some bosses and staying home :D 

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Pot dealers.
  • killamjlkillamjl Member UncommonPosts: 27

Letss seeeee

There was a canadian guy who was handicapped and parents owned a salt mine.  True story.  Played 20 hours a day.

Another ex-military guy, again crippled/handicrapped  with insomnia..i never saw him offline.  One day after several months he simply disappeared

A few korean/phillipino  that apparently lived in 'gaming' apartment, dunno where they got the money to live.

And a Brazilian guy that sold drugs from his house and gamed 20+

Havent run into many parents basement guys, yet

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

Some may be programmers for NASA, some may have dropped out of high-school and can barely hold down a job, some can be youtube celebrities who do video tutorials on Origami.

The truth is if you walked into one on the street, you would never know it.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

Our guild is a top guild in EQ. Where do I find the time, what time? I don't play more than someone else, we just play more focused that's all, we know each other, we min-max, everyone has maxed AA.

I don't get where people get this notion from that top MMO guilds play more than casuals, there are many casuals who play way more than I do, they're just not focused on min-max.

When they introduce a new level cap our guild has maxed their levels in a matter of days while other players take months. On average we tend to play less than other people.

Most people in our guild are just normal people with jobs who play no more than someone else would.

Since you use the word "clan" I assume you're referring to other games, I don't know how it works in other games, maybe there are people who play all day just to get to the top, in Everquest that's not how it works, you min-max and you eventually get to the point where you play in a top guild, it has very little to do with how long you play but more with how you play.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    As a person who spends a lot of time around college students I can say there are many college grads who took majors in subjects like history, english, homeland security, underwater basket weaving and such that once they graduate, they simply cant get a local job and they refuse to move to another city for jobs.  They sit home at their moms house and play games and if they are motivated, they get a part-time job in retail "until the job market opens up".  Seriously, how many college grads do you know who either dont work, work part-time or have crappy jobs that dont require a degree?
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• URMAKERURMAKER Member UncommonPosts: 671
    House husbands....

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Actually you will find that a lot of them are in the military or some other from of work sucha s mining where they have a huge downtime in between deployment or seasonal work.

All of the other response that have house husbands or mom's basement are just being mean. I'm pretty sure that population is quite small in comparison to the working population (otherwise our economies will be like the Greek's).

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

The saddest part is that world 1sts are so important to players. I mean...is your RL so bad you have to be important/significant in a game? I just don't get the draw other than to say "Look at me! I'm so cool!"

I play to have fun, not be "top dog" in every category I can.

Don't get me wrong...I care in FPS games, where it's more meant for stat boards. But in MMORPG's? No, not at all.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    As a person who spends a lot of time around college students I can say there are many college grads who took majors in subjects like history, english, homeland security, underwater basket weaving and such that once they graduate, they simply cant get a local job and they refuse to move to another city for jobs.  They sit home at their moms house and play games and if they are motivated, they get a part-time job in retail "until the job market opens up".  Seriously, how many college grads do you know who either dont work, work part-time or have crappy jobs that dont require a degree?

This is very true too.

• EiviEivi Member Posts: 96

I played in a Hardcore guild back in Vanilla and TBC (Stature Of The Gods - EU). Most if not all of us were Students or Unemployed. If anyone did have a job, it was extremely little hours. We had to be online for a certain amount of hours, raiding 6-7 days a week. It was fun due to the feeling of success, but in reality we were winning ingame but failing IRL.

Now i have a Kid, Coursework, Job, Wife etc. I really don't have the time to throw into hardcore raiding anymore.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

Our guild is a top guild in EQ. Where do I find the time, what time? I don't play more than someone else, we just play more focused that's all, we know each other, we min-max, everyone has maxed AA.

I don't get where people get this notion from that top MMO guilds play more than casuals, there are many casuals who play way more than I do, they're just not focused on min-max.

When they introduce a new level cap our guild has maxed their levels in a matter of days while other players take months. On average we tend to play less than other people.

Most people in our guild are just normal people with jobs who play no more than someone else would.

Since you use the word "clan" I assume you're referring to other games, I don't know how it works in other games, maybe there are people who play all day just to get to the top, in Everquest that's not how it works, you min-max and you eventually get to the point where you play in a top guild, it has very little to do with how long you play but more with how you play.

This post is completely different from the rest. I'm not entirely convinced by it. However, I think it's easy to think like this and have an unbalenced lifestyle.

The problem it that it takes a long time to 'max' your character out. The 'max' level has probably been imposed so that games companies can say that they are protecting players' health. It doesn't mean the max level ensures a balenced lifestyle.

Everything's relative, i.e - how many hours per day do you play EQ to be in a top guild? You might not think it's that much, but time yourself. When I play a game, time goes by fast.

Since you use the word "clan" I assume you're referring to other games, I don't know how it works in other games, maybe there are people who play all day just to get to the top, in Everquest that's not how it works, you min-max and you eventually get to the point where you play in a top guild, it has very little to do with how long you play but more with how you play.

I'm not entirely convinced.

The problem it that it takes a long time to 'max' your character out. The 'max' level has probably been imposed so that the games company can say that they are protecting players' health. It doesn't mean the max level ensures a balenced lifestyle.

Everything's relative, i.e - how many hours per day do you play EQ to be in a top guild? You might not think it's that much, but time yourself. When I play a game, time goes by fast.

About 3 hours, 5 times per week, which to me is not that much, and I have an RA of about 80%, so I skip some days now and then. I see some casuals play 5 hours every day or more, so I don't think I play *that* much, most people sit in front of their TV for 3 hours every night.

Some people immediately assume because I raid that I have no life or that people in our guild have no life. The difference between peple who raid in our guild and "casuals" is that we are consistent, we raid every night for those 3 hours and keep very high RA (raid attendance), it's the consistency that allows us to progress, not the fact we play a lot. If you have people logging in at random hours you can not progress, most casuals play a lot, but are unwilling to log on from X yo Y, they log in at random hours and so they are useless to our guild, even if they play 10 times as much as we do.

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

I'm not entirely convinced.

The problem it that it takes a long time to 'max' your character out. The 'max' level has probably been imposed so that the games company can say that they are protecting players' health. It doesn't mean the max level ensures a balenced lifestyle.

About 3 hours, 5 times per week, which to me is not that much, and I have an RA of about 80%, so I skip some days now and then. I see some casuals play 5 hours every day or more, so I don't think I play *that* much, most people sit in front of their TV for 3 hours every night.

Fair enough.

I think it might also differ per game though. We are highly effective in EQ in our guild simply because EQ is an MMO where grouping gives you far more XP than playing solo. But EQ is not the only game where this is true, in many games grouping gives you a type of XP bonus and it gives you a secure environment to play in.

Most top guilds in those games are well-oiled machines that have a strong structure and play on specific hours of the day, the fact the whole guild plays on the same hours make the guild far more effective and far more productive.

In a casual guild people log on when they please, and as a result, they lose "productivity". I think people might be surprised if they actually looked at players in top guilds, in many games they do not play a lot, they are just highly productive with their time, and when they play, they min-max, you play with the right people, in the right settings, always with people you know, and the result is that you get far more out of those few hours than anyone else would, add to that they you are usually wearing far better gear than anyone else and it becomes rather easy to "stay on top". In EQ it's very important who you play with and how you play, not how long you play.

We can get a new character to max level in a week, while a casual player will take months, simply because in a structured guild you will have people who make arrangements to log on the same time with the right classes, with the right skill and knowledge and with the goal to be productive, how can you do it in the least amount of time and th least amount of work.

EQ is also an old game though, people know by now how to play, and guilds and raids are big in EQ, 54 players for every raid, so most guilds have a good structure and hierarchy, most casual guilds play to play, they don't put productivity pretty high on their list.

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

It is not only the time they spent playing that makes them better. It is also the how they play. They analyze and practice. Your average player does nothing of the sort, so their play time is unavoidably inefficient. There was a guy in League of Legends who got to be in a top level team only with 3 months of experience with the game. It matters who is teaching you and with whom you're playing with.

If you never challenge yourself, never analyze what you did wrong and what you did right, never theorycraft, examine the metagame or plan tactics and strategy, you may never reach the top level or it will take a lot of time to get there.

The only difference between competitive players and regular players is that competitive players take gaming a step further. This does not mean they do not play for fun, however. I am a competitive player and I can't imagine playing a game on a competitive level if I don't like it at the same time. But when you're "at the top", there's no better PvP than that.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Had a friend who collected food stamps and unemployment insurance for around 18 months. He played hardcore16-20 hours a day, everyday.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am not coming with an answer...sorry.

I just wanted to express my agreement sort of. I always wondered who are the people in e.g. "Paragon" guild in WoW who were getting world first achievement on practically every significant boss there was.

As a regular working person, I have potential time to play since 8-12 max.

I can imagine those people are students, unemployed, retired, home office workers with a relaxed job, people with enough money not to work,...

I know a few of the old FI-only Paragon members through a friend. Outside new content launches, they play quite reasonably (few hours a night) and have day jobs. At launches, they arrange free days from work and play long-ass sessions they're famous of.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    As poster above mentions top end players don't need to play 16-20 hours a day, but they will push big hours at critical times. These players measure evey little detail:

1 optimise up time, minimise movement.
    2 optimise key strokes and reaction to 10s of milliseconds.
    3 understand their class and every nuance in relation to 1 and 2 and their gear.
    4 change gear and skills in between every encounter
    5 memorise every encounter and their role and it relationship with other roles
    6 fast reactions through understanding of every visual and audio signal
    7 great team player and communicator/listener

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PigEyePigEye Member Posts: 78

A fair amount sit around drawing ssi benefits (welfare version of disability), and live with their parents... true story, sad, but true.

Worse, we are the tax paying suckers paying for them to do this.

PigEye McNasty
    DFOUW NA