Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What can a fan do to get that interest back into playing?

azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Would really like comments from those who still play and still enjoy the game but I know that will be hard.

I have 3 level 80's, 100 exploration on 2 of them, and no desire to run fractals or other dungeons since my gear is the best I can get on all 3 toons.  Minus a legendary which I have no desire in getting.  I also no longer fancy myself a purveyor of PvP or WvW so thsoe are outs.

My question is there anything in the game I can be doing to get my joy back?  Maybe I burnt myself out but I have no desire to use a 3rd party website to arrange dungeons, I have always been a huge proponent of a Dungeon Queing system especially one like WoW.  GW2 portrayed itself as a game where dungeons would be easier to run due to no reliance on having to have certain classes but not having a dungeon finder exaserbates the problem just as much here as any other game lacking this feature.

Was really hoping the new live envent was worthy but it was downright silly in that I finished it in 1 night.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Comments

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

Yes you can leave the game for a while and play something else. 

Well done for gettign that far, the boredom set in for me before level 50.  

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    duplicate

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

if you aren't into PVP its hard to say because thats my endgame in themepark games.. also fractals is a lot of fun just running through them even if you aren't gong for asended gear.. my only suggestion is perhaps try a big WvW guild or sPVP guild and get some good players to join up with and try it out then.. really changes the game when you have a good group to run with in PVP.. but if you already have 3 80s and 100% explor on them all i'd say you put PLENTY of hours into this game already and maybe it would be good for a break... although the new guild quests are coming at the end of the month you could try those out.. NW beta is coming soon also.. hoping to get a crack at the foundry:P

oh also joining a big guild also helps a ton with dungeons but thats a given for all MMOs:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

if you aren't into PVP its hard to say because thats my endgame in themepark games.. also fractals is a lot of fun just running through them even if you aren't gong for asended gear.. my only suggestion is perhaps try a big WvW guild or sPVP guild and get some good players to join up with and try it out then.. really changes the game when you have a good group to run with in PVP.. but if you already have 3 80s and 100% explor on them all i'd say you put PLENTY of hours into this game already and maybe it would be good for a break... although the new guild quests are coming at the end of the month you could try those out.. NW beta is coming soon also.. hoping to get a crack at the foundry:P

oh also joining a big guild also helps a ton with dungeons but thats a given for all MMOs:)

My guild is one of the most prominant WvW guilds on Sanctum of Rall but they do not participate in PvE very often.

Maybe I just miss loot driven games, or maybe the March WvW update will breathe new life into that side for me.  Guess its normal to eventually fall away.

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Originally posted by azzamasin

My guild is one of the most prominant WvW guilds on Sanctum of Rall but they do not participate in PvE very often.

Maybe I just miss loot driven games, or maybe the March WvW update will breathe new life into that side for me.  Guess its normal to eventually fall away.

if i had 3 level 80s and 100% completion on them i'm sure as hell i'd be giving this game a rest for awhile... but its fine game has no monthly fee you can easily come back in a couple months and see whats been added or when you see a content release article you find interesting

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm all PVE so unless they start adding DE metas like mad people I don't see how they are going to get me back. Dungeons aren't for me. Got plenty of other games that do just that don't need another one of the reasons I bought the game was it was supposed to be a change from that design.

I can't say anything other then wait until what they have coming in March hopefully it will be as extravagant as they claim it will be.

So far I'm not seeing much that interests me anymore.

Even the carrot on the stick is gone for me.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401
    OP try to play a toon with "map completion" turned Off in your map (icon is found at lower left corner)

Game is A LOT more interesting with the handholding off ;) It plays a lot more like an open world like Skyrim...like

Try it & let me know how it feels ^^

Originally posted by Zzad
    OP try to play a toon with "map completion" turned Off in your map (icon is found at lower left corner)

Game is A LOT more interesting with the handholding off ;) It plays a lot more like an open world like Skyrim...like

been playing like that for awhile now:) just wandering around doing events following their stories.. best way to play imho:)

been playing like that for awhile now:) just wandering around doing events following their stories.. best way to play imho:)

After my second lvl 80 i tried to play that way and it is a more relaxed yet fascinating way of playing it!

Game drives you & stories unfolds in your way.... love it :)

Plus is a lot more "rewarding" when you discover Vistas...hearts...out posts etc...

Real exploration & story telling.

After my second lvl 80 i tried to play that way and it is a more relaxed yet fascinating way of playing it!

Game drives you & stories unfolds in your way.... love it :)

same:) oh also OP if you haven't already play a mesmer! best class in the game.. honestly i tried one out at launch and didn't like it.. gave it another shot now that I know the systems and its amazing.. stuff i can pull off with my staff/GS build i can't even dream of with most my other characters

same:) oh also OP if you haven't already play a mesmer! best class in the game.. honestly i tried one out at launch and didn't like it.. gave it another shot now that I know the systems and its amazing.. stuff i can pull off with my staff/GS build i can't even dream of with most my other characters

what does GS stand for?

my limited english won´t let me understand some abreviations :P

Sounds like a good idea thing is theres no other classes sans Mesmer that interest me so will have to go with that class.

what does GS stand for?

my limited english won´t let me understand some abreviations :P

Greatsword

Sounds like a good idea thing is theres no other classes sans Mesmer that interest me so will have to go with that class.

Elementalists are very fun to play too! very dinamic class...very versatile & fast paced since you are constantly changing attunements! Give it a try too if you haven´t already ;)

Be patient though...you are not going to get maps solved like you do in normal gameplay...but it´s VERY interesting specially if you really enjoy exploring! Take your time with that new toon,and you´ll experience a whole new game "kind of" hehe

enjoy :)

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

As some have said, go play something else. You can always come back to GW2 after the burn out wears off. I admire you for accomplishing so much in so little time.

I have been playing since launch and my main is only level 45. I like playing it sometimes, but it could never be my main game. The PvE gets boring fast, I don't like PvP, and the crafting is horrible. But, I finally found a class that I like (Necro) and have decided to push on through to max level.

GW2 is my go to, casual game.

for leveling gs/staff is by far my favorite but sword/pistol or sword/focus with staff or even scepter/pistol with staff is fun.. staff is just to great to not have for me:)

Elementalists are very fun to play too! very dinamic class...very versatile & fast paced since you are constantly changing attunements! Give it a try too if you haven´t already ;)

Be patient though...you are not going to get maps solved like you do in normal gameplay...but it´s VERY interesting specially if you really enjoy exploring! Take your time with that new toon,and you´ll experience a whole new game "kind of" hehe

Got my Ele to 17 but found out you need to always be changing attunements to maximize their potential and I do not like that.  Also tried Necro but it wasn't for me.  Currently playing a GS Ranger but disliek the pet.  My 80's are Warrior, Guardian and Thief so as you can see I like Melee. image

Got my Ele to 17 but found out you need to always be changing attunements to maximize their potential and I do not like that.  Also tried Necro but it wasn't for me.  Currently playing a GS Ranger but disliek the pet.  My 80's are Warrior, Guardian and Thief so as you can see I like Melee. image

yea i didn't care for the attunement dance on the ele either.. if you like melee a lot you may like a sword/sword mesmer build they are fun and melee focused.. oh also saw you said you are on rall so am I feel free to say hi sometime.. leveling my mesmer now under the Aerowyn name:)

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

Om my mesmer I run a GSTwo-sword combo and it can be fun if you find a way that fits for you just a thought. You also have like the one above said drop the map icons and run that way I did it after my first 80 now I just go and do as I please I spent 3 days in Desia this last week after the new event hit and have been following the path of The first book just for fun making my characters journy a follow in the footsteps of that group. I have ran into others a few times doing the same trying to retrace there steps to the Foe Fire. I have also gone in search of areas from GW that I remember like Droknars Forge and a few other areas just to see if I can find them.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

Originally posted by nolic1

Om my mesmer I run a GSTwo-sword combo and it can be fun if you find a way that fits for you just a thought. You also have like the one above said drop the map icons and run that way I did it after my first 80 now I just go and do as I please I spent 3 days in Desia this last week after the new event hit and have been following the path of The first book just for fun making my characters journy a follow in the footsteps of that group. I have ran into others a few times doing the same trying to retrace there steps to the Foe Fire. I have also gone in search of areas from GW that I remember like Droknars Forge and a few other areas just to see if I can find them.

I might try a GS, Sword/Sword build then.  I'll also def look to play with out the map icons.  One thing that I always found wierd was that for the most parts the DE's dont seem to be as plntiful as I would like them.

yea i didn't care for the attunement dance on the ele either.. if you like melee a lot you may like a sword/sword mesmer build they are fun and melee focused.. oh also saw you said you are on rall so am I feel free to say hi sometime.. leveling my mesmer now under the Aerowyn name:)

Hey Aero quick question.  How often do you use your shatter abilities on your Mesmer?

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

#1. Get off of the Guru and GW2 forums.  

#2. There's nothing wrong with leveling up another character of your favorite class. However, at level 80 there is nothing wrong with having a defensive version of your class and an offensive version.  I loved the Warrior and have struggled to keep leveling up other classes, so I made another one.  

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

Hey Aero quick question.  How often do you use your shatter abilities on your Mesmer?

i run a shatter build so constantly.. at level 40 you can get the trait to get a clone on dodge.. also 5 points into illusion gives you reduced cooling times on your illusion skills.. i usually use mind wreck and the confuse one(F1 and F2).. i also use the signet of illusions that gives all your illusions 50% more health and on use resets your shatter abilities.. other builds if you don't want to shatter a lot  is using traits that give you more damage for having more clones out.. really a preference thing.. i like the AOE i get from the shatters that with staff is amazing.. feedback and mirror images are my other go to utility skills

Originally posted by Roxtarr

#1. Get off of the Guru and GW2 forums.  

#2. There's nothing wrong with leveling up another character of your favorite class. However, at level 80 there is nothing wrong with having a defensive version of your class and an offensive version.  I loved the Warrior and have struggled to keep leveling up other classes, so I made another one.  

Yea I actually thought of leveling up another Warrior, it too was my favorite class.  My main Warrior is a GS/LB and I had a notion a few weeks ago to level up a Rifle/Hammer or Rifle Axe/Mace Warrior.

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

You should try Engineer.  It's pretty cool and the Kits make it truely unique.  The Engineer is the only profession that gets to choose its Class specific skills (F1-F4).  They are based off your utility skills.  You will truly enjoy setting off your first Big ole Bomb.  I would save the first time for a large group.   Gather everybody up and place your bomb and watch them fly.  It's awesome.  You wanna clear a spot, it will do the trick.  They can be pretty tanky as well.   There was no way I was going to play one, started one for my son to try in beta, and Itsbeen my main ever since.    Plenty of options. 

p.s. giving someone a wrench beat down is something special.  It may cause you to tear up a bit.  Some people think the wrench kit if for a turret healer like in TF2.  It's not, it's for bashing peoples face in.