Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a new F2P MMORPG

KrashKrisKrashKris Member Posts: 8

I've played quite a bit of Everquest (which I loved) and a whole lot of WoW (which I'm getting a bit burnt on), but I'm a stay at home mom, and monthly subscriction fees just don't make sense for me anymore. I don't mind paying up front for a good game; but, as sometimes I can play for a few hours a day for weeks at a time, and others I just don't have time to play at all for weeks or even months at a time, the monthly fees have got to go. So, I'd like find a new outlet that will draw me in and keep me interested, while also allowing me to disconnect to do things like cook and clean so that my family doesn't starve, ha ha ha... image So, here's what I'm looking for:

-EXCELLENT character creation (lots of races/classes/professions to choose from, high customization)

-Innovative/intersting character delevopment

-PvP arenas (or at least balanced in-world PvP play)

-Ability to solo effectively

-Useful crafting (I enjoy crafting professions, and while I don't mind the money it brings in, I prefer that my crafting skills produce items that are actually useful to my character)

-Friendly communities

-Games that don't revolve around the end game (I actually enjoy questing and leveling, as well as getting cool gear BEFORE I'm a level 50/80/whatever)

-In that same tone, ^ guilds that don't require you to be fully leveled to help you or have any fun

-Exciting PvE experience

-Not spectacular, but at least decent graphics

-Above all, I play for fun, not to show off end game stats or gear; I don't game to stroke my ego

The end game obsession is what really turned me off to WoW, people were so obsessed with stats, getting good gear, earning achievments, etc... the game ceased to be fun anymore. I would like to avoid that.

I am currently downloading Star Wars: The Old Republic to give it a shot, because I LOVED KOTOR when I played it on XBox. I've tried DC Universe Online; it was fun, but the gameplay was a bit shallow (also nearly everyone either was, or acted like they were 13). Other games I'm considering are Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, Neverwinter and Camelot Unchained. Guild Wars 2 is also on that list, but it's a pretty pricey pick-up, with fairly limited race options; so I'd like some feedback before I lay down the cash.

Recommendations on my list of maybes? Other suggestions? Comments? Something fresh would be great... I love the fantasy genre but it gets played out, a fresh take on it would be cool. I haven't played much in the area of sci-fi, but I'm open to it. Something new like western, Japanese (fuedal or anime inspired), superhero/mutant, angels and demons... I don't know if those genres exist in the F2P MMORPG world, but I would enjoy something new.

Any tips/suggestions you can offer are greatly appreciated. Thanks! image

Comments

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Camelot Unchained won't be available for a couple years.

For F2P, I'd recommend Aion.

For B2P, I'd recommend The Secret World.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• MontaronxMontaronx Member UncommonPosts: 273
    Have you tried Tera online yet? it matches most your requirements

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by KrashKris

I would recommend Star Trek Online.

-EXCELLENT character creation (lots of races/classes/professions to choose from, high customization)

You have very detailed control over your appearance. You can even custom design an alien race.

-Innovative/intersting character delevopment

Aside from the standard skill progression, you get to manage the progression of your officers (think of them as NPC pets), and your ship (you can have more than one).

-PvP arenas (or at least balanced in-world PvP play)

Yes, STO has instanced pvp.

-Ability to solo effectively

Very. The story missions can be played as a single player game.

-Useful crafting (I enjoy crafting professions, and while I don't mind the money it brings in, I prefer that my crafting skills produce items that are actually useful to my character)

This i don't know. I am not a crafting fan so i did not research into how useful is crafting. It is there though.

-Friendly communities

Friendly enough.

-Games that don't revolve around the end game (I actually enjoy questing and leveling, as well as getting cool gear BEFORE I'm a level 50/80/whatever)

The story missions are why i play this game. There is also a digital foundry with player made missions. So if you enjoy questing, this is the game to play.

-In that same tone, ^ guilds that don't require you to be fully leveled to help you or have any fun

I did find a leveling guild although i mostly play solo.

-Exciting PvE experience

Depending on what exciting means. I like the ship combat. It is well done, strategic, and exciting. There are also variation in the story missions. For example, in one mission, i am fighting in a nebula with explosive gas, so if you fire you weapon into a pocket, it can explode and hurt you. That addes a level of combat depth.

-Not spectacular, but at least decent graphics

Character/ground graphics is decent, ship graphics is good.

-Above all, I play for fun, not to show off end game stats or gear; I don't game to stroke my ego

I play for fun too and i have fun in tis game.

The end game obsession is what really turned me off to WoW, people were so obsessed with stats, getting good gear, earning achievments, etc... the game ceased to be fun anymore. I would like to avoid that.

LOL .. i quite WOW last Dec .. too much repetition. I dont mind obsession with stats (i like theorycrafting and optimization) but WOW is too raid focus.

I am currently downloading Star Wars: The Old Republic to give it a shot, because I LOVED KOTOR when I played it on XBox. I've tried DC Universe Online; it was fun, but the gameplay was a bit shallow (also nearly everyone either was, or acted like they were 13). Other games I'm considering are Lord of the Rings Online, Age of Conan, Neverwinter and Camelot Unchained. Guild Wars 2 is also on that list, but it's a pretty pricey pick-up, with fairly limited race options; so I'd like some feedback before I lay down the cash.

Try STO and see how you like it. I tried TOR too but the combat is just not exciting for me. DCUO is fun, but the story missions are not as varied as STO.

• KrashKrisKrashKris Member Posts: 8

@ Boardwalker - Okay, I heard some talk about Camelot Unchained, but I hadn't really looked into it yet. Thank you, I will check out Aion and The Secret World.

@ Montaronx - I have not tried Terra, I will check that out. Thanks.

@ Nariusseldon - STO sounds awesome. I'm kind of a closet Trekkie, so that could be fun. TOR is allright so far, but it's like playing half a game, unless you subscribe or blow a bunch of cash, which kind of defeats the purpose. Thanks a ton!

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

Sci-fi - STO or TOR

High Fantasy - LotRO

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• KrashKrisKrashKris Member Posts: 8
    Thank you White Lantern. I'm going to give TOR a go I guess. I will probably end up checking out STO in the long run. I'm kind of putting LOTRO on the back-burner because of the limited race options, but I'm sure I will eventually check it out. Can you tell me, is it the kind of game that makes buy a bunch of extras to get the full experience?
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Age of Conan is very cool and it's F2P now

http://www.ageofconan.com

check the recent Dragon Spine update trailer below, the music in this game is so great, best ever

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
    If u loved Eq . Then the game for u hands down in Vanguard saga of heroes.. It has everything but open world pvp it dos have arena pvp though. Tons of races and classes with HUGE world one of the largest. So much content you could not do it all in a year.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Tera has been holding my attention very well since it went F2P recently. Other than that in terms of F2P many of the options people have listed are very good as well, STO is pretty fun and has a lot to do. 
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by KrashKris
    Thank you White Lantern. I'm going to give TOR a go I guess. I will probably end up checking out STO in the long run. I'm kind of putting LOTRO on the back-burner because of the limited race options, but I'm sure I will eventually check it out. Can you tell me, is it the kind of game that makes buy a bunch of extras to get the full experience?

LotRO? Yes, you will end up spending some money to get the full experience. Basically, the "Epic Storyline", where you follow the events of the books is free to do completely(?), but the local quest hubs are pay-to-aquire. My experience says you can play for free, but paying makes it much better.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil