Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 why the story implementation works(for me)

Comments

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

Some people completely missed the point... she is talking about the way the story is implemented, not its content. And I agree with the OP on that point. I also agree that after Claw Island, the story, while still fun on your first character, takes a nosedive in quality and becomes repetitive on alts despite your ability to choose different paths.

Originally posted by Foomerang

So a shitty aspect of this game is actually good because it is insignificant... Why do you try so hard to sell this game? Sad waste of energy imho. Just enjoy it for youself. No need to constantly seek approval.

What you call "seeking for approval" is actually "posting on the forum of a game Aerowyn is actually PLAYING and enjoying". If she was trying to "sell this game", she would advertise it on other forums, not here. Your post, though, is totally useless, not to mention you obviously didn't fully understand the OP.

At least she minds her own business, while others come here, on the forum of a game they dislike, just to bash it. I'd take Aerowyn's posting habits anytime over those people if I wanted to create a good community around a game.

While your correct at the end, she has been selling and hyping this game since she joined. Anyone who actively posts developers blogs/articles praising a game is trying to sell it to others. Anyone who says anything negative is dismissed for standard reasons, like what you quoted.  I feel a few of you are taking, no matter what value of criticism, as personal attacks against yourselfs...

As for the question I think without the story quests there'd be little to drive me forward in the game.  While ignoring it is optional, to a point,(you could level completely in WvWvW, if you have the stomach for it), I'd say it would be awkward to skip it for the pace of the leveling zones.  You pretty much have to repeat events to get further along in a zone and without the story quests you'd be further away from getting to those other heart areas.

Other games do this thing as thing, (you don't have to do the main quests in TSW or the story quests in SWTOR,) although you'd be missing out in those games and I feel the same about GW2.  There generally an interesting solo challenge and while the story is lackluster at times at least it gives my character context. Without it I would be moving from one zerg fest to another and the xp rewards are crucial for progression IMO. 

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• SteeJanzSteeJanz Member UncommonPosts: 334

I think I have to agree with your post  by the fact that I currently have a level 78 toon that I have leveled without doing any of the personal story quests (not counting the first one since it isn't an option.)    I chose to focus on leveling via dungeons, dailies, and events.  I was able to immerse my self in the world and complete events by simply being out in the world and doing what I felt like doing.  In running to the dungeons to open the way points, I participated in the events that interested me at the time.  If I felt like pushing the harpies back i did. 

I don't much care for the celebrity status.  I don't need to be the main point of the story, or the focus of the entire world.  It makes sense to me, to have a place where I am the focus and still be a small piece of a bigger world. 

on a side note, human communications is a bit interesting.  In a forum where reading is a requirement to understand what people are saying, it's interesting how the same words mean different things to different people.  I guess people just see what they want to see no matter what's placed in front of them.   The OP didn't say one thing about the quality of story.  :)

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

It really didn't work for me.

Not having the player-char the center of the world works (like WOW) but the quality of the story was below your average game story. I think just having a 'standard hero' story would have prevented a lot of the issues the story has as ANet just can't write a good one.

End of Act1 is probably the worst case scenario as your entire storyline is suddenly finished with no loose ends tied up and it is never mentioned again. Even by the player. That is just bad story-telling.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

The choice to do something that most mmo's dont allow like in Wow you do have choices in where to quest and what not but in the end after say 3 toons you have seen every quest for what ever side. Now in SWTOR there is no real choice cause it was written into the game in such a way you see the whole thing from begining to end. Now we have GW2 which has a story some might not like the personal story for me I liked it on each of my toons cause it added a different approch to each character I had. Then I have a few I hust about skipped most of the story with lvling that I forgot about the main story because the world or game just has alot to do in it and the fact that the world scales to you based on where you are I forget I am even in lower lvl areas or even in WvWvW untill another player attacks me. I have spent 2 or 3 hrs running around doing map stuff in WvW I forget I am there when I am out capping skill points or POI's that I get drawn into the area.

GW2 might not be everyones cup of tea and some of us here might seem like we are selling it but we just happen enjoy the game alot for what it is a game that has things we like and others might not like it does not mean we are forcing it on to others or anything it just means we really like the game and what it offers us as gamers.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I was ashamed to discover that my story is personal only till lvl 50. I was disappointed that we have boring dialogue window instate of GW1 cut scene.

Idea was good, but execution is average, even boring.

So far I has feeling "I'm a hero" as seems all NPC waited for me to save the world. May be it just me.

Anyhow, I would like to see whole line more personal and animated, less hard (I remember some low lvl adventure where I was alone against like 5-7 mobs (or put mention "group" or give me less silly and more helpful allies).

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

I highly disagree. If you look at it from viewpoint then a good majority of games out there does exactly the same thing. You don't HAVE to do the quests in a lot of those games and none of them really emphasize you as being the 'only' one doing it. A lot of them even make it very generic in terms of making it sound as if your part of a bigger picture, Rift for example using "Ascended" as a singular and ploral way of addressing the player characters for their work. Besides in terms of consistency the "dynamic events" don't make to much sense in repeating over and over again which makes its own source of making no sense.

You can't look at one aspect and ignore the others though. If you look at the main story which this game emphasizes a lot greater then most out there, it does quite a cringe worthy job at it. It is like Diablo 2 vs Diablo 3. Sure, diablo 2 story wasn't very great, but the fact it didn't preach and force it in your face made it a lot better. With GW2 'character story' its at diablo 3 levels with far to many /faceplant moments to make up for anything good in the story. 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Purutzil

I highly disagree. If you look at it from viewpoint then a good majority of games out there does exactly the same thing. You don't HAVE to do the quests in a lot of those games and none of them really emphasize you as being the 'only' one doing it. A lot of them even make it very generic in terms of making it sound as if your part of a bigger picture, Rift for example using "Ascended" as a singular and ploral way of addressing the player characters for their work. Besides in terms of consistency the "dynamic events" don't make to much sense in repeating over and over again which makes its own source of making no sense.

You can't look at one aspect and ignore the others though. If you look at the main story which this game emphasizes a lot greater then most out there, it does quite a cringe worthy job at it. It is like Diablo 2 vs Diablo 3. Sure, diablo 2 story wasn't very great, but the fact it didn't preach and force it in your face made it a lot better. With GW2 'character story' its at diablo 3 levels with far to many /faceplant moments to make up for anything good in the story. 

RIft - the whole story is about how you are a ressurected hero that will save the world. If you followed one of the Norn GW2, for example, That race is all about building legend. The PS fits right into that mode, how you are trying to build your reputation and it flows from the PS.

I also have a Human mesmer, who was from royalty but ran away to the circus - pretty interesting story. Again, it is building yout character to rise above the norm - an normal person do extraordinary things. GW2 doesn't emphasize the story like Rift, WoW, TSW, D2 and D3 - you can go through without doing any of it. D2 and D2 you ARE the hero that changes things - same with Rift and TSW. In GW2, as I said normal people can do things extraordinary and that is what makes it different.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

What you may call cringe worthy i actually may enjoy.. i found numerous storylines in gw2 as interesting as some of the swtor ones, but overall in the big scope of things the personal story is such a small % of the overall content in GW2 even if some is somewhat "cringe worthy" so what? it's a MMO, many MMOs don't even have much of a personal story option at all anyway.. one thing i feel GW2 has over some of the other recent MMOs that have a heavy emphasis on story is the amount of alternate paths you have to "easily" level. Other games you can cut out the story no problem but then you do you severly gimp yourself on XP to level.. In gw2 you don't have this issue at all..

Also on another note something not many seemed to talk about is the actual world questing in other games is generally very much tailored to "you".. you have your static npcs and every person that goes to that npc starts their very own version of that same exact quest this is a huge immersion killer for me and something that really sticks out huge for me. In gw2 the open world events and quests are not like that and go on with or without you and you can go in and pick them up at any point not just from start to end..

also lastly find it funny how many commented on how unhappy they are with the quality of the story overall since the OP has nothing to do with that...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

What you may call cringe worthy i actually may enjoy.. i found numerous storylines in gw2 as interesting as some of the swtor ones, but overall in the big scope of things the personal story is such a small % of the overall content in GW2 even if some is somewhat "cringe worthy" so what? it's a MMO, many MMOs don't even have much of a personal story option at all anyway.. one thing i feel GW2 has over some of the other recent MMOs that have a heavy emphasis on story is the amount of alternate paths you have to "easily" level. Other games you can cut out the story no problem but then you do you severly gimp yourself on XP to level.. In gw2 you don't have this issue at all..

Also on another note something not many seemed to talk about is the actual world questing in other games is generally very much tailored to "you".. you have your static npcs and every person that goes to that npc starts their very own version of that same exact quest this is a huge immersion killer for me and something that really sticks out huge for me. In gw2 the open world events and quests are not like that and go on with or without you and you can go in and pick them up at any point not just from start to end..

also lastly find it funny how many commented on how unhappy they are with the quality of the story overall since the OP has nothing to do with that...

The hearts in GW2 are nearly exactly like the quests you describe above.  True, the DEs rotate stages, but coming back and seeing the same DE recycling itself can be immersion killing as well.  At least for me.

Originally posted by grimal

The hearts in GW2 are nearly exactly like the quests you describe above.  True, the DEs rotate stages, but coming back and seeing the same DE recycling itself can be immersion killing as well.  At least for me.

yes hearts are static but again the game was not designed around hearts and they are just filler unlike most other MMOs questing that their entire questing system works through static questing.. i can see how the DE cycles bother people and break immersion for some but overall its WAY better world feeling overall for me that other MMOs.. obviously everyones mileage may vary in this regard..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    The greater challenge was not dozing off during the story mission, especially after level 50. Everything after level 50 seemed so tripe, like it was rushed to make the launch window. Not even going to speak about how insulting it was to do the last few missions. The thing I can do at the moment is compare which was worse. Alien: Colonial Marines, or the whole Zhaitan shit?

The hearts in GW2 are nearly exactly like the quests you describe above.

As I already said, if you play GW2 only going from heart to heart, you're doing it wrong and if you get bored, you are the only culprit, not the game. I actually wish ANet never added the hearts, what they did only to make the WoW kiddies feel "at home" because they would be lost if they had to explore a bit to find content.

True, the DEs rotate stages, but coming back and seeing the same DE recycling itself can be immersion killing as well.  At least for me.

Well, what is more "immersion breaking"...

1) A static "WoW clone" quest system where some farmer sends you to kill 20 bandits in his field, but nothing changes at all, and when you leave, you have still bandits standing in the same field.

2) A GW2 model, where after you fought the bandits in the field, for a while, you either won and the field is bandit free until their next offensive, or you lost and the bandits took over the whole farm and are burning the haystacks in the field, but you have the option to conqueer the farm back too.

I buy option 2 anytime of the day, and what of the two is "more realistic" is quite obvious too.

Agreed.  They should have left the hearts out.

As for immersion-breaking, neither is really the better option.  The problem, for me, is by making this change they really didn't improve upon it as significantly as I'm sure they wanted to.

Edit: Actually, the game does reward you with the zone awards for completing all the hearts, etc in a zone (positive reinforcement), so ANET is encouraging you to do them all per zone.  So I'd have to say your statement in red is not really true.

As I already said, if you play GW2 only going from heart to heart, you're doing it wrong and if you get bored, you are the only culprit, not the game. I actually wish ANet never added the hearts, what they did only to make the WoW kiddies feel "at home" because they would be lost if they had to explore a bit to find content.

True, the DEs rotate stages, but coming back and seeing the same DE recycling itself can be immersion killing as well.  At least for me.

1) A static "WoW clone" quest system where some farmer sends you to kill 20 bandits in his field, but nothing changes at all, and when you leave, you have still bandits standing in the same field.

2) A GW2 model, where after you fought the bandits in the field, for a while, you either won and the field is bandit free until their next offensive, or you lost and the bandits took over the whole farm and are burning the haystacks in the field, but you have the option to conqueer the farm back too.

I buy option 2 anytime of the day, and what of the two is "more realistic" is quite obvious too.

As for immersion-breaking, neither is really the better option.  The problem, for me, is by making this change they really didn't improve upon it as significantly as I'm sure they wanted to.

one thing i will say for hearts is even as filler they do differ in you actually never have ot talk to a single npc to complete every single heart.. you get more info text about what the heart is about if you talk to the heart npc but you are never required to talk to a npc at all to complete and finish any heart in the game.. that alone makes it differn't. But yes i agree as well world would of been better without the hearts and more DEs.. but i take what I get and ill take this over other MMOs questing anyday

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

one thing i will say for hearts is even as filler they do differ in you actually never have ot talk to a single npc to complete every single heart.. you get more info text about what the heart is about if you talk to the heart npc but you are never required to talk to a npc at all to complete and finish any heart in the game.. that alone makes it differn't. But yes i agree as well world would of been better without the hearts and more DEs.. but i take what I get and ill take this over other MMOs questing anyday

Yes I really like hearts more so than normal static quests, even though they are filler but honestly quests can be like hearts and prosper  a bit, cause hearts aren't filling up your log, but the progress you do in them is saved, plus the options they give you, if you don't like killing x you can choose to collect, once you get bored with that you can go kill or do what ever.

Just gives something to do an not having that little tid bit of a time sink to go talk and then return helps a whole lot more as well.

I mean if static quests where more like that which I wouldn't be surprised if there are MMOs comming out that have what's stated above that right there is a big plus than say SWTOR,RIFT, WoW, and especially Tera. That's naming a few, I think TSW did good with not having to return if I recall, like it goes to your phone.

Then if you want you can go talk to the giver for more info, praise, and etc.

Do note I'm not saying if quests in MMOs are like hearts in the future that they got the idea from GW2, cause TSW got something like that, I wouldn't be surprised if WildStar does the same as well, least I hope so.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

*snip*

PS @ Aerowyn about hearts : yes, and also, most if not all hearts have several possible ways to be completed, as opposed to the "go kill 10 wolves" of WoW clones where you don't have any choice but to actually go kill those wolves. How many theme parks give you those options in their quest system beside GW2? From what I know, none.

ahh yea forgot to mention that thanks:) and another step up for the hearts:P

*snip*

PS @ Aerowyn about hearts : yes, and also, most if not all hearts have several possible ways to be completed, as opposed to the "go kill 10 wolves" of WoW clones where you don't have any choice but to actually go kill those wolves. How many theme parks give you those options in their quest system beside GW2? From what I know, none.

Don't forget that all of those heart quest NPC become karma vendors for gear, weapons, food etc...  

it's not the first game to do it but it still gives additional reasons to complete the hear quest.  The fact that a a full set of shadow armor can be created by a level 75 tailor for 756 Karma is pretty cool.  Its pretty decent looking low level armor for clothy.

And the next time I want ot make some Bowls of Orrian Truffle Soup, I need to hit Ichtaca up for my bulk shallots. 

Originally posted by SteeJanz

*snip*

Don't forget that all of those heart quest NPC become karma vendors for gear, weapons, food etc...  

it's not the first game to do it but it still gives additional reasons to complete the hear quest.  The fact that a a full set of shadow armor can be created by a level 75 tailor for 756 Karma is pretty cool.  Its pretty decent looking low level armor for clothy.

And the next time I want ot make some Bowls of Orrian Truffle Soup, I need to hit Ichtaca up for my bulk shallots. 

+2 for the hearts:) yea i guess most do get hung up on how they are static quests but they do have a lot going for them overall

Originally posted by SteeJanz

*snip*

+2 for the hearts:) yea i guess most do get hung up on how they are static quests but they do have a lot going for them overall

It's a forum thing.  We have been conditioned to think everything new is exaclty the same and that nothing is as good as the other thing.  Where confusion reins, opinions are always moving targets and valid critisim is the mantle for all grumpy people.    :)

Would it hurt your "forum reputation" to make concessions and admit the obvious sometimes?

It's pretty obvious that both are very different approaches to world content (aka "questing", if you like). And this comes from someone who is playing both WoW (2 active accounts) and GW2. The WoW model is nice for many things, but when it comes to world content, it doesn't come even remotely close to GW2, where you never known in what state you're going to find a location, where everything is in perpetual movement even when you're not there (aka "dynamic").

Can it be done even better? No doubt, and I hope games like TESO will do it somehow. But the step forward between the WoW clone model we got served in all more or less successful games these last 8 years and the GW2 model, if we consider open world content, is HUGE. I still enjoy WoW, but 75% of my gaming time is in GW2, because after a GW2 session, I have a very hard time going back to the static world in WoW

First off, don't tell me how or what I should think.  That annoys me more than anything else.

Second, it's not the "obvious" because it's your opinion not mine.  I liked the inital change at first but when I look back it offers nothing significantly better than the traditional npc quests.  They both serve the same end-result and after you've done each through, one really isn't any better than the other as far as I'm concerned.

You're also over praising the innovation in what they did.  It was a sideways shift (maybe slightly forward), but it most certainly was not HUGE.  Methinks perhaps you may still be in that honeymoon phase.

• C1d0sC1d0s Member UncommonPosts: 238

Whenever a thread about GW2 starts, I can always count on one of two people being in it.

I was not disappointed.

On topic: The story, both in implementation and quality, I found absolutely dreadful. And that's not a rip on GW, as I find pretty much every modern MMO's story rather bland and tasteless. That said, Guild Wars 2's personal stories ( I've done all the starting variations ) were entirely unimaginative and had absolutely no impact on my immersion. I'd much prefer there be NO personal story.

Originally posted by C1d0s

Whenever a thread about GW2 starts, I can always count on one of two people being in it.

I was not disappointed.

On topic: The story, both in implementation and quality, I found absolutely dreadful. And that's not a rip on GW, as I find pretty much every modern MMO's story rather bland and tasteless. That said, Guild Wars 2's personal stories ( I've done all the starting variations ) were entirely unimaginative and had absolutely no impact on my immersion. I'd much prefer there be NO personal story.

your "on topic" is not really on topic at all.. know last couple posts weren't really on topic but either way quality of the story was not the topic of this post at all

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Omnifish

While your correct at the end, she has been selling and hyping this game since she joined.

What if she is just... you know, talking about a game she's enjoying? What a surprise... she talks about it positively, and she talks about it on the appropriate forum too. Does that compute?

Seeings as you just joined this year, maybe your not aware of it, or maybe your just blindly believe whoever agrees with you.  Check out post history, it isn't difficult to see a pattern.  If there wasn't one, why would anyone bring it up? Oh yeah I forgot everyones out to get GW2 aren't they....

As for the question I think without the story quests there'd be little to drive me forward in the game.  While ignoring it is optional, to a point,(you could level completely in WvWvW, if you have the stomach for it), I'd say it would be awkward to skip it for the pace of the leveling zones.  You pretty much have to repeat events to get further along in a zone and without the story quests you'd be further away from getting to those other heart areas.

This is wrong. You don't need the story quests even though the rewards are nice so it's just free gear and gold for you, and you do not need to farm events either. Anyone saying he needs to repeat events to level up a character is not playing the game the right way.

Utter bullshit, honest I get sick and tried of people like you saying, 'your doing it wrong', as some catch all defence when you feel threatened. if I'm in Kessex Hills and I decide to level up in that area you reckon I could level up from level 15-25 via just hearts and one or two events and avoid the story quests? You need to repeat stuff to be within a level or two to have a chance at the later zone heart quests.  Trying to make out that you only need to do stuff like events once is just outright lies.

Other games do this thing as thing, (you don't have to do the main quests in TSW or the story quests in SWTOR,) although you'd be missing out in those games and I feel the same about GW2.  There generally an interesting solo challenge and while the story is lackluster at times at least it gives my character context. Without it I would be moving from one zerg fest to another and the xp rewards are crucial for progression IMO. 

The XP rewards from the story in SW:TOR are much more crucial for progression than in GW2 for a simple reason... SW:TOR has no dynamic events, and SW:TOR has no level downscaling. GW2 broke those restrictions all WoW clones have, and gives more "freedom" to the player than any "theme park" MMORPG before. That's pretty much why I hope future "theme parks" will use GW2 has base more than WoW.

You mean SWTOR has no repeatable events that are on timers? That's true, but it has space missions and other planet within level range and more dungeons before lv30.  GW2 has other areas to level as well, but the actual areas don't seem to have enough unique content to level in, for the level range they quote.  GW2 basically expects you to do a bit of everything to level up, some crafting, some of the story quests, some wvwvw, events/hearts, while other games like SWTOR or TSW give you the option of playing one way or another. I'm not sure you'd define that as freedom really.

The thing is there's nothing wrong with that at all, I actually like GW2 for the most part, it's a fun game.  I just don't understand why some people can't discuss it without feeling like you just insulted their mother.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Seeings as you just joined this year, maybe your not aware of it, or maybe your just blindly believe whoever agrees with you.  Check out post history, it isn't difficult to see a pattern.  If there wasn't one, why would anyone bring it up? Oh yeah I forgot everyones out to get GW2 aren't they....

you are welcome to go all the way back and look at the start of my post history.. i did not even hardly talk about gw2 at all until i played the first BWE event then i was hooked on the game after actually playing the game.. i mostly talked about TERA and TSW till the BWEs were out.. now i'm interested in a lot of new games as you can see i talk about neverwinter a lot and wildstar and others i'm interested in.. don't see how talking about games you like and are interested in is a "pattern"

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

Utter bullshit, honest I get sick and tried of people like you saying, 'your doing it wrong', as some catch all defence when you feel threatened. if I'm in Kessex Hills and I decide to level up in that area you reckon I could level up from level 15-25 via just hearts and one or two events and avoid the story quests? You need to repeat stuff to be within a level or two to have a chance at the later zone heart quests.  Trying to make out that you only need to do stuff like events once is just outright lies.

Actually you are wrong here ...I levelled up three characters and never duplicated a zone or repeated a heart quest or DE and never did any personal story past level 10.... although I did bring all my characters to Lion's Arch just for convenience sake. Not sure what all the hostility is about on your end?....I don't think you did it wrong , you just didn't do it right !!

Originally posted by Bad.dog

Actually you are wrong here ...I levelled up three characters and never duplicated a zone or repeated a heart quest or DE and never did any personal story past level 10.... although I did bring all my characters to Lion's Arch just for convenience sake. Not sure what all the hostility is about on your end?....I don't think you did it wrong , you just didn't do it right !!

not only that you could level a character doing just WvW and after a few characters you could level to 80 just crafting if you wanted and had the resources for it.. as an altaholic this aspect of GW2 is one of my favorites by far.. i can easily level mutliple characters and not see any of the same content if I don't want to.. and if I get bored with anything pretty much everything gives GOOD xp so i just change up what i'm doing.. hell just wandering around get vistas, collecting nodes and world completion nets a lot of xp