Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When you say no PvE...

GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

....do you mean literally none at all? No wildlife to hunt for materials, for example? Only player-inhabited world? Merchants, NPCs?

Or does this mean simply no quests? (yay for the latter).

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by Galadourn

....do you mean literally none at all? No wildlife to hunt for materials, for example? Only player-inhabited world? Merchants, NPCs?

There's definitely crafting since Jacobs has mentioned it in every interview. Presumably then there will be some form of gathering which could involve killing and skinning animals. He's also mentioned RvR missions so there will at least be those for questing. What it presumably won't have is safe non-PvP areas where you can advance your character by going to an NPC with a ! over his head to pick up a quest then running halfway across the map, killing 10 NPCs, then returning to the original NPC to get xp and a reward item.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• MightyPitMightyPit Member UncommonPosts: 92

If I should guess, I would say:

No Player versus Environment for developing the character. No quests, no XP from Mobs, no loot from Mobs,

IMO that does not include NPC-Merchants, RvR-Quest-givers, NPC Guards, DRAGONS :)

MMO's played so far:
    UO,EQ,DAOC,EQ2,GW,ROM,WOW,WAR,AOC,LOTRO,RIFT,TSW,GW2,POE
    Looking forward to: Camelot Unchained, Star Citizen

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

It's not a sandbox, MJ has said as much but he has also stated no pve which i took to mean no traditional pve, as in no pve zones, pve quests, no mobs etc.

"PvE" is a misused term these days, im pretty sure they will use NPC's, gathering etc in some form. Also MJ has said there will be Dragons :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Zinzan

It's not a sandbox, MJ has said as much but he has also stated no pve which i took to mean no traditional pve, as in no pve zones, pve quests, no mobs etc.

"PvE" is a misused term these days, im pretty sure they will use NPC's, gathering etc in some form. Also MJ has said there will be Dragons :)

This.

People keep saying this game has NO NPC's which is not correct. The only thing Mark said is that there will be no NPC [drops].

The best way to accomplish this is to ensure that there are no drops of powerful items from NPCs. Secondly, to make sure that the first point is followed, let’s just say that there are no NPC drops at all and damn few NPCs. - Mark J

• MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649

Folks,

Let me clear this up since it's an easy one. There will not be PvE questing, PvE drops, PvE zones, PvE leveling.  There will be NPCs whether they are guards, animals, etc. 

Mark

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment

• moroelmoroel Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Absolutely support the idea of no pve.I played war for 4 years.The pve part of the game occupies more than 70%.Under this part is a lot of work thrown-hundreds of pq's,thousands of ToK unlocks.And guess what-most of the player dont even bothered to visit and play all this pve content.Almost everyone spend their time in the lakes.My conclusions are that the majority of the resources in the game are thrown for content that is played by very few players.So MJ took the right decision in my opinion. Also think that if he make the game as it should,subscriptions will be not a problem.Even the abandoned and almost dead war,have by my opinion few thousands subs atm.
  • OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    The older I get, and the more I play MMO's, the less I enjoy PvE. I'm to the point now where 95% of the time all I want to do is PvP.
  • RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    Originally posted by MarkJacobs

Folks,

Let me clear this up since it's an easy one. There will not be PvE questing, PvE drops, PvE zones, PvE leveling.  There will be NPCs whether they are guards, animals, etc. 

Mark

Thanks for the clarification. People have been trying to decipher the details on that for awhile. Should put some of the debate to rest. That said I can live without the home realm style PVE but god I would love to see a Darkness Falls included :P.

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Staff here is doing a new interview maybe they can get him to clarify some of these questions.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    Originally posted by Raagnarz

Folks,

Mark

Thanks for the clarification. People have been trying to decipher the details on that for awhile. Should put some of the debate to rest. That said I can live without the home realm style PVE but god I would love to see a Darkness Falls included :P.

I agree, Darkness Falls was definitely awesome. Mainly because of the threat of PvP at any time.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Folks,

Mark

Sweet.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Sounds kinda like Shadowbane to me... well, except for no drops. Bascially, in Shadowbane the name of the game was grinding out mobs to that you could develope your character; however, there were no quest in the game. Just areas of mobs. They did have runes drop randomly and from certain NPC's, but that was fun. If someone camped the NPC and got the rune, you could just kill them and take it. So you needed groups of players to constantly attack/defend, etc. At the end of the day, it was all about diplomacy and war with other Nations. The players made the content... which killed it promptly as folks left.. 
  • audizmannaudizmann Member Posts: 24

I wonder if PvE plays a role in the "you are what you do" way of increasing your skills. MJ mentions that if you swing your sword 1000 times you get stronger... but swing at what exactly? Thin air? A mob? Only real players?

It would just seem odd if you can improve your character by attacking a mob in a world with very few mobs...

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Folks,

Mark

I loved the PvE in DAOC, it was half the reason I played it from launch, until TOA came out and ruined it all.  I wish this game the best, but FWIW, just weighing in, as an old DAOC vet, with my 2c.  Even WAR was way too half-assed with its PvE for me, nevermind no PvP at all, so probably won't be touching this one.  Good luck with it, though.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• Originally posted by MarkJacobs
    Folks,

Mark

This.

Thanks for the clarification...

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

Folks,

Mark

thanks for clarifying this!

• PoliticaldadPoliticaldad Member UncommonPosts: 134

Well poo....

Thanks for clarifying...

That drops it to an iffy for me to play now, I thought it was just the NPC drops (armor/weapons/items).

Constant PvP is what made me slow and stop playing a few other games.

Ganked at the bank, ganked at the town, ganked while exploring..... not the exciting I thought it was.

Originally posted by OgreRaper
    Originally posted by Raagnarz

Folks,

Mark

I agree, Darkness Falls was definitely awesome. Mainly because of the threat of PvP at any time.

Agreed, DF was brilliant and the dungeon switch mechanic meant you never really knew when there might be enemies logged out in their steps. I always loved when we lost DF, it was a rampage through to the other entrances and a fun fight usually ensued.

This being said, DF with no pve would be a ghost-town, there would be no reason to go there....ever.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Agreed, DF was brilliant and the dungeon switch mechanic meant you never really knew when there might be enemies logged out in their steps. I always loved when we lost DF, it was a rampage through to the other entrances and a fun fight usually ensued.

This being said, DF with no pve would be a ghost-town, there would be no reason to go there....ever.

They could still have something like DF just you wouldn't get xp and regular armor & weapon drops there. Mobs could still drop gold and crafting materials and perhaps the bosses could drop crafting schematics that could be used to craft armor and weapons with unique looks and unique dyes.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817
    Originally posted by Politicaldad

Well poo....

Thanks for clarifying...

That drops it to an iffy for me to play now, I thought it was just the NPC drops (armor/weapons/items).

Ganked at the bank, ganked at the town, ganked while exploring..... not the exciting I thought it was.

Odd i never saw Mark state FFA PvP was even in the game. From what i have gleaned its Factional PvP, so Ganked at the bank and ganked in town might not even be possible, exploring... well of course that will happen since this game is focused on PvP not PvE, it will just be enemy factions out to get you, not your own faction.

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Well poo....

Thanks for clarifying...

Odd i never saw Mark state FFA PvP was even in the game. From what i have gleaned its Factional PvP, so Ganked at the bank and ganked in town might not even be possible, exploring... well of course that will happen since this game is focused on PvP not PvE, it will just be enemy factions out to get you, not your own faction.

I have not seen any mention of FFA PvP either. From what i understood it's a 3-faction system but then im not sure how the zones will be arranged with no PvE areas. Safe zones? Probably.

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

Well poo....

Thanks for clarifying...

It's funny how many people can read the same thing and infer completely different things. It never crossed my mind that I would (possibly) get ganked at the bank or in town. I still don't think that. I doubt the these factions in a statement of all-out war will be milling around in the same cities, waiting for the queue at Starbucks, etc. I'll bet you dollars to donuts they each have their own city. Bacon. I gotta stop skipping breakfast.

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by meddyck

They could still have something like DF just you wouldn't get xp and regular armor & weapon drops there. Mobs could still drop gold and crafting materials and perhaps the bosses could drop crafting schematics that could be used to craft armor and weapons with unique looks and unique dyes.

This is a good idea.

• keygankeygan Member Posts: 237
    I am curious to know how 1 get money in this game.  Is it going to be just from killing players?  I understand there will still be commodoties to sell but where does the money come from to start buying it?  
  • azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I really do not understand the exclusion of no PvE.  I think it cheapens the whole MMO genre by turning it into a FPS style game.  IMO there needs to be some sense of player progression via some notion that your character matters.  When the only enemy there is to kill is someone else then to me there is no sense of being able to explore or relax. 

One of my greatest gamplay methods in an MMO is to stop and smell the roses, scroll in and out and just naturally take in the scenery and surroundings.  If I'm constantly having to watch my back then that sense of realism goes out the window.  Part of the alure of PvE is to see your self getting stronger and progressing.  I.e. Yesterday I couldn't kill that mob but today I own him, you jsut do not get that sense in a full on PvP game because you never know if your target is better or worse off then you in real life, so theres nothing to guage you progress.

Ohh well good luck with the game, really hope you re-consider and add PvE but if not, I'll just get my RvR fix out of ESO.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!