Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Spirit Watch PvP Map Introduced

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A new blog post on the Guild Wars 2 site lays out the details for the upcoming release of a new PvP map. Called "Spirit Watch", the map features a "capture the orb" type of game play.

Here’s how it works: At the beginning of each match, the Orb of Ascension spawns at an altar, located in the center of the map. In order to pick up the Orb, a player will have to successfully complete a very short commune time. The player carrying the Orb will want to take it to any of the three capture points —represented as shrines to Wolf, Raven and Bear—located up in the surrounding cliffs.

While carrying the Orb, the player still has access to all of their skills, but has a 40% movement speed penalty and is unable to stealth or gain swiftness. If they teleport or become downed, they will drop the Orb.

Read the full description on the Guild Wars 2 site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    I like the WvWvW already. I do not however care about this update. They should leave carrot on a stick PvP to games so weak they require it...I hope this does not become a trend.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286

Grab an orb and run it over to a capture point....    that's some groundbreaking game design.

Guess there's only so much that developers can come up with for PvP mini-games.

• SidQFTSidQFT Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Hutt-Ball anyone!?  lol
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by SidQFT
    Hutt-Ball anyone!?  lol

Had similar in GW1 - it is nothing new but gives more diversity of play.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i do not really see any issue with this myself , it adds a new style map to pvp . All the others are just run around and cap objectives so its different at least.  I know I do not play anymore as spvp is not rewarding at all to do and kinda just a lobby game and world vs world updates never happen at all. I have no interest in this game until they release the info on what they are doing to world vs world in the form of new abilities they are promising and reward systems. If its just you can do some daily world vs world quests and earn the same ol gear grind you do in pve I know I wont be returning , but if they put in some effort instead of the lazy approach they been taking so far , adding in new world vs world abilities like DAOC realm rank system I will play it again. Until then I guess we will see where this goes but I know people are getting bored sick of the same non rewarding world vs world as you see more and more comments poping up about it daily on the official forums.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by SidQFT
    Hutt-Ball anyone!?  lol

if there is one thing that I would love more games take from SWTOR, it's huttball.  It's probably the only thing from SWTOR I miss.

I'd love to see a similar game be added in games w/ pvp battlegrounds.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

You could take this map and mod the play a  little - Catch the Chicken anyone? Remember that mod from Q2 - Q3 days? See vid below for a reminder - it would be a blast lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UobYAm5Sk4I

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Grab an orb and run it over to a capture point....    that's some groundbreaking game design.

Guess there's only so much that developers can come up with for PvP mini-games.

well it was fun in GW1, but GW2 pvp is weak in every point i experienced. Lets see about this.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Some people sure are complaing about anything they give to change stuff up. Its PvP, its going to be simplistic. Its something, though I'm sure people expecting a pvp focused game are still wanting a lot more to the game then it currently has.
  • NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    better then nothing. People complaining about getting content?...strange  world we live in.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by NC-John
    better then nothing. People complaining about getting content?...strange  world we live in.

lol what's new if it's not some amazing evolutionary groudbreaking super duper fabulous killer never before seen idea, it's basically crap copied from another game.. seems the norm here.. anyway i'm glad we will get another mode of play as it does baffle me they only had a single mode for sPVP at launch since gw1 had a good variety of pvp modes

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    If you aren't interested in the new 'content', then it IS worse than nothing.
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    What a miserable outlook on life you have.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Personally I'm happy for the pvp people getting new stuff but as a PVEer, I have to ask, where are all the new DE meta's at? yeah...I doubt very much we'll see any new ones on Feb 26 and I really doubt they'll be doing something about loot so if they do add them you'll actually see your chest at the end of defeating the whatever it will be at the end of the new chains. That's what will impress me is if they actually fix the game, new content is fine but it won't help if you have at least 2 new neverbefore seen major bugs per week at least.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    This map sounds like fun. I don't understand why so many people don't like. And please don't get me started on WvWvW and massive scale PvP. That's most boring PvP ever. But  I guess some people don't like real competitive PvP :D 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

Originally posted by itgrowls
    Personally I'm happy for the pvp people getting new stuff but as a PVEer, I have to ask, where are all the new DE meta's at? yeah...I doubt very much we'll see any new ones on Feb 26 and I really doubt they'll be doing something about loot so if they do add them you'll actually see your chest at the end of defeating the whatever it will be at the end of the new chains. That's what will impress me is if they actually fix the game, new content is fine but it won't help if you have at least 2 new neverbefore seen major bugs per week at least.

they are adding in the guild quests next patch so thats pretty big for the PVEers i know i'm excited about this.. also still trying to find a single other person complain about this so called loot issue in game if anything people are happy about loot now more than ever as you can get decent loot from lower zones now... also still trying to find someone in game that feels ascended gear has had any impact at all on the game as a whole other than giving people some extra things to do when they get bored.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

[mod edit]

every thread about gw2 has tons of negatives in it.. bet your deleted post used either profanity, personal attacks, or blatant baiting... just a hunch

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    [mod edit]

[mod edit] comone a new pvp map? how long do you need to make such one? 1 week? and it was probably finished a year ago- Gw1 had this map from start on, gw2 getting the old gw1 maps in parts over a decade.

[mod edit]

1 you don't know that, 2 your complaining about free content as if you are getting ripped off. Your ranting a little about content given out for free.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    1 you don't know that, 2 your complaining about free content as if you are getting ripped off. Your ranting a little about content given out for free.

maybe your right but again it is Anet wich made gw1- wich had brilliant pvp , wich Gw2 doesnt have. Its fun but its more made for selfish lonely people- Teamwork? nah you dont need that as much as in gw1- in gw2 everyone is a one man army. They need to give pvp in gw2 a reason. New maps wont fix that.

Originally posted by exile01
    Originally posted by Bladestrom

maybe your right but again it is Anet wich made gw1- wich had brilliant pvp , wich Gw2 doesnt have. Its fun but its more made for selfish lonely people- Teamwork? nah you dont need that as much as in gw1- in gw2 everyone is a one man army. They need to give pvp in gw2 a reason. New maps wont fix that.

see thats a valid argument and wouldn't get deleted not sure what you said in your other post.. overall I do feel sPVP is a bit of a let down when compared to how fleshed out gw1 pvp was.. but gw2 is a much bigger much more immense project they took on and not everything had time to get fleshed out as much as they wanted I'm sure.. hopefully over the coming months they will tweak and addin more of the things that made gw1 pvp great.. also on the teamwork thing I don't agree on that at all.. ever play in a tourny with a good cooridinated group then play in some random PUG? teamwork is HUGE.. also same goes for WvW team coordination really turns the tides of battles.. main problem i have with WvW some servers have constant 24/7 coverage and others just don't have the numbers to keep that up..

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    [mod edit]

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

I love gw1 too, remember gw1 took a long time to mature, and from what I see Anet are reacting to criticism and slowly evolving the game. Pvp needs work, and I see work happening so I have faith (they are focusing a lot of money on technical issues to stabilise the game which is sound) I just take a break when i feel impatient :)

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    [mod edit]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson