Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Blizz Keep WoW and "Titan" Running Simultaneously?

Seems like it would make the most sense from both a support and infrastructure standpoint to end-of-life WoW and come up with a way to transition the existing player base into Titan.

Some would probably argue that many people would be willing to pay subs for both games so why not keep WoW running but I believe that this would greatly impact the sub numbers on both games which is certainly not in Blizz's best interest.

Based on everything I've heard / read, Blizz's plan was to keep WoW going for 12 years which seems to be falling right in line with a 2016 transition to Titan.

On top of that, there are already some in-game stories that suggest the end of Azeroth is upon us (Stranger in a Strange Land quest chain for example).

It seems that it would make sense to build a climatic end to Azeroth as a transition to Titan where a small number of survivors, having somehow escaped Azeroth prior to its demise, find themselves starting over in a completely new world.

Clearly, this is all speculative at this point but I think if we pay attention to what's happening in MoP, we may get some clues as to what Blizzard has in mind down the road.

Comments

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by fat_taddler

Seems like it would make the most sense from both a support and infrastructure standpoint to end-of-life WoW and come up with a way to transition the existing player base into Titan.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense! Take a game that has millions of subs and tell them you're closing down their game and they can come a new game they may not even enjoy. Logic be damned! This could be the best idea ever.

• firelilyxfirelilyx Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Egads no. With how much Blizzard loves money they will continue milking it until there's less than 10000 players :P
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    As long as WoW is hugely profitable, why would they not keep it running? and with over 9 million paid subscriptions a month, it would be a dumb move to ditch them, as for Titan, who knows how many years before that game even comes close to fruition, its not like Blizzard are under pressure to release it after all. Even at this point nobody has any idea what form of game Titan will even be, it might not even be an MMO when it releases. image
  • fat_taddlerfat_taddler Member Posts: 286
    Originally posted by f0dell54

Yeah, that makes perfect sense! Take a game that has millions of subs and tell them you're closing down their game and they can come a new game they may not even enjoy. Logic be damned! This could be the best idea ever.

So you believe that doubling their infrastructure and support requirements to run two massive games which could (and most likely would) cannibalize each other in terms of sales / subs is a better idea?   

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Nothing about this idea makes sense at all seeing as how some games are running with around 10,000 people playing it like Anarchy Online and the company is running other games as well.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

/thread

We don't know anything about Titan, including genre. If it turns out to be World of Starcraf-ish, they won't exactly be competing with each other. I'm sure I'm not the only one who thoroughly enjoyed Warcraft but couldn't get into Starcraft. And I know pleny of others who don't cross the High Fantasy / Sci-fi boundry.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    For sure they will keep both games running. Lets not kid ourselves...an "end-of-life WoW" will still have more players than all other MMOS, save for maybe Titan itself.
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

So you believe that doubling their infrastructure and support requirements to run two massive games which could (and most likely would) cannibalize each other in terms of sales / subs is a better idea?   

You are assuming that they would have to double everything, why? They already have the infrastructure in place and all of the departments required to support a large scale MMO, it would require an increase in staff numbers, but i wouldn't have thought by 100% and certainly not in full time staff until they know how the two balance with each other as there may be some losses to Wow for example reducing the support requirements there vs an increase in support for Titan which would balance that without any staff increase.

Customer support would probably be the largest increase, but when it comes to things like internal tech support, hardware support, finance, marketing etc.. there would be little need to increase what they have now. If they run the games side by side which i guess they would, they will already be looking at where they can use existing infrastructure and where they would need to add more.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Tindale111Tindale111 Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Everquest 1 and 2 are still going and tho they dont have same audience as wow i think they doing well enough the other thing is that wow is 9 or 10 years old and the graphics look dated now im asuming that titan will have updated graphics a lot of people still have older computers so might struggle to run the newer one nah blizzard wont kill off wow
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

How long will Titan remain vaporware? This is even worse than waiting for World of Darkness by CCP with almost no new information

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122

All the WoW sub money is feeding Titan anyway, so you might as well make the players switch to the game they're paying for.  I kid!

In reality, there is no reason that the WoW team would need to change anything once Titan comes out.  Who knows, maybe there will be a joint sub thing or something where when you sub to one, you get both.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
     If the games are different enough no reason not to keep both open, in fact if they can get WoW players to also play and pay for Titan then its a big win for Bliz. I've heard nothing about Titan being WoW 2.0 so no reason it won't be different enough to appeal to 2 different player bases or play styles. Heck even if titan is just wow in space they can probably double their player base off old or current WoW players.
  • winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by FromHell

How long will Titan remain vaporware? This is even worse than waiting for World of Darkness by CCP with almost no new information

i'm guessing Titan might be out sometime after the WoW movie ;)

• aerinndisaerinndis Member Posts: 67
    There is zero chance that Blizzard will be shutting down WoW because of Titan.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152

Originally posted by f0dell54 Originally posted by fat_taddler Seems like it would make the most sense from both a support and infrastructure standpoint to end-of-life WoW and come up with a way to transition the existing player base into Titan.

You are aware that Titan is a social MMO and is in no way related to World of Warcraft. Its not even related to the Warcraft IP. So, how does closing down a successful MMO and opening up a completely new one (unrelated to each other) make any sense at all?

How are you going to get people to move from one IP to a completely different IP?

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    Are you high, OP?
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Would Blizzard shut down WoW while it's still making money?  Not a chance.  At least I don't think so.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968

Blizzard has already announced long ago that "Titan" will not be competeing directly against WoW.

WoW's survivability will more be impacted by Wildstar or ESO or whatever new MMO that will be competeing directly against WoW than "Titan" from the sound of things.

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350

LOL, that makes no sense whatsoever. You're going to shut down a profitable franchise for an unproven product? There would be no franchises if that were SOP. You don't shut down financially successful operations because you're pursuing new revenue streams, that's actually a great way to go bankrupt and lose all of your revenue streams.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Trust me when I say I'm in the know on this one; WOS (World of Starcraft) will indeed coexist alongside WOW image

Don't believe everything Blizzy feeds ya ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Why people think Titan will be more popular than WoW is a mystery to me.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Trust me when I say I'm in the know on this one; WOS (World of Starcraft) will indeed coexist alongside WOW image

Don't believe everything Blizzy feeds ya ;)

Except that those of us who really know, can tell you that you are wrong. Project Titan is all new IP.

This you can take to the bank, I can't say anything more for obvious reasons.

That is precisely why I included the second sentence in my post. Stranger things have happened, bud.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• endgame1endgame1 Member Posts: 84

It's 2013, servers and bandwidth are extremely cheap, relatively speaking. Last time I looked through an operating expense report from Blizzard, infrastructure costs for WoW were a teeny tiny fraction of the budget, (really infinitesimal).

Depending on what direction they go with Titan, and what direction they go with WoW, they may not attract the same player base, necessarily. Also, from what I've heard, Titan may be free to play and rely on revenue from things like in-game advertising.  So no reason to have to cancel your WoW sub to sub to Titan. 

No way on earth they shut WoW down while it's still profitable. WoW is responsible for something like 40% of ATVI's revenue.