Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Estimated release date September 2015?

According to the Camelot Unchained Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CamelotUnchained/info

the estimated release date for CU is September 2015.  Do you think that date is a reliable estimate of release?  Is it too soon, too early?

Comments

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by gregoryvg

According to the Camelot Unchained Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/CamelotUnchained/info

the estimated release date for CU is September 2015.  Do you think that date is a reliable estimate of release?  Is it too soon, too early?

It's not at all reliable, but it does seem reasonable given the limited scope of what they are trying to do in the game.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Since it is a small company like MJ had with Mythic, an there won't be PvE questing, I could see it being released in 2015, but I could see another year delay if things needed to be pushed back.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    I meant reasonable not reliable in my original post.  Sept 2015 is a bit later than I had pegged.  Was really thinking it would be out in late 2014 early 2015 timeframe.  My main interest is in having a fun engaging world to play in, so I would be more than happy waiting a bit longer than that if needed.
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I meant reasonable not reliable in my original post.  Sept 2015 is a bit later than I had pegged.  Was really thinking it would be out in late 2014 early 2015 timeframe.  My main interest is in having a fun engaging world to play in, so I would be more than happy waiting a bit longer than that if needed.

The original DAOC took like 18 months to create. CU won't have all the PvE zones that were part of DAOC. OTOH original DAOC also was missing many systems that were added later that might also show up in CU including realm abilities, spellcrafting, alchemy, mounts, Darkness Falls, frontier dungeons, and housing. For that matter many zones and dungeons in DAOC were incompletely itemized at launch.

So somewhere between a year and half to 2 years sounds about right for CU. Assuming the kickstarter is successful and development in earnest starts late summer/early fall this year, that would put it right on schedule for a middle to late 2015 release.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by meddyck

The original DAOC took like 18 months to create. CU won't have all the PvE zones that were part of DAOC. OTOH original DAOC also was missing many systems that were added later that might also show up in CU including realm abilities, spellcrafting, alchemy, mounts, Darkness Falls, frontier dungeons, and housing. For that matter many zones and dungeons in DAOC were incompletely itemized at launch.

So somewhere between a year and half to 2 years sounds about right for CU. Assuming the kickstarter is successful and development in earnest starts late summer/early fall this year, that would put it right on schedule for a middle to late 2015 release.

This is true. I think  MJ and his crew can pull it off with MJ's experiences, today's technology and the team experience. DAOC was about 2.5 million back years ago. I believe it can be pulled off financially as well, even with todays pricing, without pve it will drop time off the project drastically, I think.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Originally posted by meddyck

Game development has advanced a little in the last 12 years but it all depends on if they use an off-the-shelf engine (most likely) or they build their own. Former it could be ready in under a year easily with no pve content, latter, well, how long is a piece of string?

Thing is how much time and effort they put into creation and testing, if they rush it out sure, under a year no problem but if they go for some serious pre-launch polish (lets face it, they already will have the kickstarter cash, so no need to rush it to release), it could be as late as 2016.

However, mid-to-late 2015 seems about right considering we know little to nothing about the game at the moment.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Mark said he wanted players in beta testing late 2014. which would give them 9-12 months of testing with players. could be less depending on how much stuff they have implemented at that stage or how we find the game.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182
    yeah this is a game I would pay to beta test, since I played daoc at launch. Since its a kickstarter we will get that chance, usually at a very fair price :)
  • Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156

It might all come down to whether or not they do buy an engine or develop one of their own, yeah. Cutting the PvE-Content does minimize the amount of time needed drastically and I think Mark is right to be frustrated if we aren´t playing the beta in 2014 already.

Although I always tend to estimate a later release date, than those we do get that early - I might actually feel it differently this time. My personal guess is, that we will be playing the release version as early as Q4 2014 / Q1 2015.

Mark and his team are going to focus on wellknown features, at least for someone that involved in the developement of DAoC. Add the dropped PvE and remember, that this is primarily a nichegame for more mature players, which also will help getting a lot more constructive feedback during the beta.

I´d say we are playing this "long" before September 2015 - but if I´m wrong, thats fine of course. I´d rather have the game finished, than released too early and then flop like so many other games.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178
    I am really curious whether they mean to cut PVE entirely or make it part of the RVR areas with nothing but starter areas and housing safe. That would explain the time needed to me.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

They should totally licence the Unreal 4 engine, that alone would get the game a fair amount of attention..but maybe not enough people able to play it...not sure on its scaling :/

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• skarrskarr Member Posts: 4
    as long as the don't use the hero engine :)