Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Biggest worry: possibility of static NPCs. Relative Poll.

SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158

Basically if this is to be a representation of TES at all the rule is as follows...  If there is an NPC it at least should have a home and go sleep in it.  I could care less if that means I have to break into their house in the middle of the night just to update my current quest, risking life and limb (and fines) so that I can continue my random wandering conquest.  NPC routines are a major aspect of TES and they go a long way toward making the world feel alive.

Would anyone else feel as bad about the inclusion of static NPCs?  How many others have seen an NPC in an MMO and could not see it as anything other than an NPC/quest hub because all it did, despite the weather, seriousness of situation, or time of day, was stand there like an erect quadriplegic whose only functions were to blink, aimlessly swing their arms, and pop up bits of information for you to read. Possible run-on sentences aside, I hate static NPCs.  They screw with possibly the most important piece of the puzzle in creating a world fit for immersion.

Comments

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    If I can sleep and by pass the night then they can sleep. If I can't then they should be accesible 24/7. They don't have to be static and stay in the same location though.

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

I never liked static NPCs.  THey started to go away in EQ2, bu ti would love to see all NPCS

1. do some sort of random activity

2. go home/go to sleep/go to the put

3. are killable

4. are pickpocketable

that is just me though.  

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584

well come to online world, diferently from the others you can just hit T and way for a couple hours. you can't do that here, also npcs will can't be killed without a imediate spawn for it, just imagine the grievence it would add to any game, some people already prevent you from selecting the npcs by just stating on top of it.

and from waht the devs said they would amke a generic mmo with the TES lore, only thing related to TES is the lore so again, don't hope for too much

FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Well... depends on the NPC actually... but I dont care right now, I just want my invite to beta :) lol

• RattusRattus Member UncommonPosts: 31

Non essential NPC's could be scripted to head home for the night but you would need a "changing of the guard" as it were for the essential ones.

Baldric the Brave could be relieved by Ethel the Meek. They would both share the same function to players but would seem to have lives of their own.

I just don't think this is something that would be a very important thing to spend valuable time and money on but it would certainly add to the immersion.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Dont expect TES in TESO other than names, places and looks. Because that is all its going to be, they have already shown as much. DaoC 2 in a TES skin.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• CrazyhorsekCrazyhorsek Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Dont expect TES in TESO other than names, places and looks. Because that is all its going to be, they have already shown as much. DaoC 2 in a TES skin.

For the sake of the community and the game, I hope its really a DAoC 2 in a TES skin!

• GrinnzGrinnz Member UncommonPosts: 312
    Originally posted by Crazyhorsek
    Originally posted by jtcgs

For the sake of the community and the game, I hope its really a DAoC 2 in a TES skin!

that would indeed be awesome!

• SwiftrevoirSwiftrevoir Member UncommonPosts: 158
    I forgot to include guard NPCs in my evaluation.  Guards notoriously have no home, need no sleep, and do not require sustenance.  The arrows they took to the knee are apparently magical redering them immortal (not invincible as we have all discovered) and without mortal limitations.  I wouldn't be bothered if this remained the same.  Other than that, lets get busy NPCs!
  • It always bothered me that NPCs were simple sign posts in MMOs. I prefer it when they are living entities and have personalities. In Skyrim at least they still had their own daily routines, but their dialogue and thus personalities felt very shallow.

I remember back in the day when I played Baldur's Gate and was disappointed with the game. Coming from a game such as Ultima VII the game world felt very cheap and unimmersive with NPCs just standing rooted in the spot all day and load screens all over the place.

But I think critical stores should be accessible 24/7 in an MMO. That doesn't mean the NPCs have to be static, though.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

You would need to hold position data on every non static npc... That has the potential to have a huge server overhead..

Then again they claim to be able to handle 2k players in one instance

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development