Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Get Everything You Want By Playing

Comments

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

"In-game, a player can earn Astral Diamonds from completing content"

like lotro then :D

u know what ? if thats real when the game is launched, i will buy a pack just to show some support

and thats boys is how u do a f2p game !

good job!

• TheAsianVillainTheAsianVillain Member UncommonPosts: 85
    "..." - says the company that has been known for p2w.
  • AkaisAkais Member UncommonPosts: 274
    It's an exciting property and sounds like an exciting launch strategy. I'll be interested to see how the game turns out with Emmert at the helm. He's 1 and 3,  in my estimation, so far. He's due a  homerun this time, IMO.
  • aceofmmosaceofmmos Member Posts: 17
    +1 Excellent way of thinking. Ill be hooked up i can already see that.
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588
    I like. Will certainly be trying this game.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by thekze
    Will you be able to purchase astral diamonds at any time? Can you buy items with these astral diamonds?? Will players have to work very hard to obtain what others got by spending money?? If yes is the answer to my three questions. This game is pay-to-win.

Astral Diamonds are in game currency. You can earn them in game by completing dungeons, competitive challenges, events or invoking your god every hour. You can also trade Zen (RL currency) for other players Astral Diamonds via a GW2 type broker.

You buy items with those Astral Diamonds. You can obviously get items quicker if you just buy them with RL cash, but there is no need to.

Thats not Pay to Win, its just convenience.

Transforming real world currency into in-game currency allowing you to buy anything with real currency is pay to win. Unless the endgame items are bound on pickup so you can't simply purchase them.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by vmoped

Just to clarify some things I have read through the postings so far based on playing this past weekend:

1) You get astral diamonds by invoking you gods power, which may be done every 60 mins.  You get 1500, 750, 375.  This skill can be done at any of the numerious campfires, with a portable shrine, or at a temple shrine.  It takes less than 3 seconds, and you also get a small amount of xp and a temporary buff.

2) You get astral diamonds from completing open world events in various zones in the game.  The reward varied by your rank at the end.

3) You get astral diamonds from certain instanced events as well, again, based on rank.

4) Sometimes you get additional astral diamonds from the events/instances as well (saw 2x multiplier a couple of times).

5) The most expensive (in astral diamonds) item I found on the vendors was a level 3 mount upgrade for just over 4 million astral diamonds (no clue what it did).

If you do your invoking, and events in the zones/instances (expecially with a multiplier) I was easily getting 1500+750+375+~350(per event/instance, usually participated in 2/hr).  This did not consume my entire time, but was done while leveling and doing storyline quests.  So take what you want from that.

So using those numbers 672 hours of grinding, for a level 3 mount upgrade...  Somebody check my math, because that seems kind of ridiculous.  It really makes me sad to see Neverwinter go the Free2Grind, Pay4Fun route.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow
    Will you be able to purchase astral diamonds at any time? Can you buy items with these astral diamonds?? Will players have to work very hard to obtain what others got by spending money?? If yes is the answer to my three questions. This game is pay-to-win.

Astral Diamonds are in game currency. You can earn them in game by completing dungeons, competitive challenges, events or invoking your god every hour. You can also trade Zen (RL currency) for other players Astral Diamonds via a GW2 type broker.

You buy items with those Astral Diamonds. You can obviously get items quicker if you just buy them with RL cash, but there is no need to.

Transforming real world currency into in-game currency allowing you to buy anything with real currency is pay to win. Unless the endgame items are bound on pickup so you can't simply purchase them.

that's never how i viewed P2W for me that's pay for convienence.. to me P2W is having items in the CS that give players who pay an unfair advantage over players who don't pay

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

Again, what you get is Rough Astral Diamonds.  Those need to be refined into Refined Astral Diamons.  There is a cap on how much you can refine per day.  So that level three mount upgrade that sells for 4 million refined astral diamonds....good luck not getting bored out of your mind.

So you are going to be running the same content over and over and over again.  This is how it works in STO but the don't pay as much for their items as it looks like people will have to in NW.

PWE took the already ridiculous dilithium grind/faction grind that was from STO and it looks to be even longer here.

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142

If the whole ROguh Diamond thing is going to work exactly like STO's Dilithium does then this going to be a major dissapointment. The problem with that system is you can farm as much dilithium as you want every day but you can only refine 8k of it every day, and the refined is what you need to spend, unrefined is worthless. You can then exchange your refined dilithium for cash story case, in STOs case Zen.

The massive problem I have with STOs system is Refined Dilithium is not only for exchanging into cash story currency but it is also needed to buy pretty much every single endgame piece of gear in the game, the cheapest of which is 15k. That means your progression in the game is seriously restricted with a time limit... No matter how much you grind or how hard you work for stuff you still have to wait on that refining timer before you can buy the upgrades you want..

If diamonds / dilithium are only used for exchanging for cash store currency, awesome, no big deal at all. Making it required for every piece of high end gear in the game is no good at all and essentialy does actually make the game more p2w. People can buy as much cash shop currency as they want and sell it for dilithium/diamonds and thus make far more of it than the daily refining cap would allow.

Anyways, Astral Diamonds had better not be nearly as required for everything within the game as Dilithium is in STO or this is gonna be a huge let down. If it is on the other hand only used to exchange for cash story currency then great, all is well.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    cryptic studios...im thinkin they are the ones behind champions online and sto...didnt care for those games but this one looks ok. i hate dwarfs should have went with a hot chick to play considering most people play them
  • ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    This is what I was hoping for and wish more game companies would do the same. The only thing I have to say is, I want to play a Drow without paying cash. Hey, he said I could do anything without paying, right?

The drow is already a race available to everyone. What's delegated to the founder's pack is a unique drow background.

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    Double post.
  • itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    This is absolutely true of STO, in fact you can sell your currency on one game for Zen for the store and stransfer that to another game. It's the most awesome system ever in F2P. and it's why i have to laugh wholeheartedly at these "don't by neverwinter founder packs" people on FB because you don't have to.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

Popular IP, accesibility of F2P with no P2W, player generated content and hopefully decent PVP.

This game might give the most popular MMOs a run for their money. And that's always a good thing for MMO scene.

In regards to grinding Astral Diamonds. Well, they have to return their investment somehow and I guess grinding or paying for convenience beats P2W any time of the day.

In vanilla WoW, we had to grind rep and pay for box+sub and everybody was happy.

• julienkagejulienkage Member Posts: 12
    But can I play a Drow Hunter and kill all Drizzt clones on sight with no mercy?
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

that's never how i viewed P2W for me that's pay for convienence.. to me P2W is having items in the CS that give players who pay an unfair advantage over players who don't pay

If you can get something in few hours that takes F2P'ers months/years, I can't see how it's not P2W.

• tylerdyrtylerdyr Member Posts: 2
    Path of Exil is no MMO, if it so then Hellgate: London was one! Stop saying that!
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Exactly, if you can obtain the same item through reasonable gameplay (as in, not grinding for months and months like Age of Wushu), then it's not Pay to Win.

Can you buy wearable items with Astral Diamonds? Yes. But Astral Diamonds, which people can trade RL money for, are obtainable in game by farming events. Giving no advantage, other than having to play less, to people who purchase the diamonds.

Pay to Win only applies when an item or perk purchased with real cash will give you a power advantage over someone else who plays normallyl, having a magical sparklepony isn't Pay to Win, it's vanity.

• odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162

If you can get something in few hours that takes F2P'ers months/years, I can't see how it's not P2W.

Where did it say that? Is that even implied? You want something people pay for with actual money to be easily obtained for free. Why would anyone buy it then? You do realize these gaming companies are looking to make a profit, right?

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by kyssari

If the whole ROguh Diamond thing is going to work exactly like STO's Dilithium does then this going to be a major disappointment. The problem with that system is you can farm as much dilithium as you want every day but you can only refine 8k of it every day, and the refined is what you need to spend, unrefined is worthless. You can then exchange your refined dilithium for cash story case, in STOs case Zen.

Basically this is what I started thinking as soon as I read the 'get it all by playing'. Only time will tell what the costs are as well as daily limits on how many AD you can refine (already mentioned in some of the reviews with no info on the limits of course).

If everyone could everything absolutely free with minimal effort, most people wouldn't spend money and the game wouldn't make enough to cover costs. Given that,  it is in the game's best interest to offer it all for free but make it more convenient for people to drop a couple bucks here and $10 bucks there.

I haven't played the game yet though I have followed the posts and watched all the videos and reviews I can find. While I had hoped this would be a good few months game I am thinking right now, it will be one of those F2Ps that I leave installed to log in once in a  while when I have an hour or two with nothing better to do until the other 3 AAA titles release later this year (TESO, Archeage & ARR).

Originally posted by odiasuda

Where did it say that? Is that even implied? You want something people pay for with actual money to be easily obtained for free. Why would anyone buy it then? You do realize these gaming companies are looking to make a profit, right?

That's why the cash shop content should be cash shop only and it should only consist of cosmetical/convinience items. Mixing up in-game auction house with cash shop items ruins the game balance because people simply convert real money to in-game currency and through this on to in-game items.

And addition to this all the highly valued items should be bind-on-pickup to not allow people to pay their way to everything.

Sure developers need to make their living but the common trend of biased and unbalanced cash shops is toxic.

• Player445XPlayer445X Member Posts: 1

LOL. "Get Everything You Want By Playing"  this is what Cryptic keeps telling everyone.  But let do some math.  In STO,  they lock some of the best gear in the “Lobi” Store.  Some of the gear is upward of 300 lobi per piece of  three piece set (900 lobi in  total)  “lobi” is another currency that only comes in lock boxes at the rate of about  five lobi per box.  each key to open a lock box  cost $1.25. So you could spend $75 on one piece of gear (some items cost about $200 in lobi) or you play and get “dilithium” (the in game “time based” currency)  and trade it for Zen to buy keys.   Dilithium to zen trades at about 90 dilithium to 1 zen.  So you need 675,000 dilithuium to buy 60  keys.  But Cryptic has a limit that you can only earn 8,000 dilithium per day.  So even if you played hour and hours per day,  it would take 84 days to make enough in game cash to buy ONE  piece of the end game gear.   So yes.  you can “get everything you want by playing”  

If you are playing the beta,  don’t be fooled by the numbers in the game now. Cryptic will change them when the game goes live.   The system that Cryptic has set up is not designed for the player.  It is designed so the house always wins.

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

Does anyone really think it matters to Cryptic/PWI one bit if you buy your micro-transaction currency with money or if you buy it from others with in game gold who bought it with real money?  The end result is the same, actually it’s better for them if you do it that way because they get a cut of the transfer between players.  And he didn’t even mention the exclusive content that will get put in random drop boxes that you need store bought keys to open.  And yes they are in game, even though they didn’t drop and you couldn’t directly open the Cryptic store you could do a /cstore and see them for sale.

NW looks like it could be a fun if not a bit shallow game but I don’t buy for a second this Free 2 Play crap.  There will be a price to play it and I promise you that $15 a month will only take the edge off of the pain it won’t remove it completely. 

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

I understand some people do not like the model.  I could care less!

The game was fun and thats all I worry about.  Hopefully the endgame potential is there due to the Foundry and potential to continue development as the Devs said.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!