Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 why the story implementation works(for me)

AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
One of the things I dislike about MMO questing is how it generally tries to make you the hero inside the main game world, with everyone else doing the exact same save the world quests right along side you. GW2 I feel solves this by taking that aspect and making it optional and completely instanced and leaving the world quests to actually make sense in a way that everyone can do them and not have" you" as the center of it all.. Sure not everyone cares or notices this type of thing but to me its immensely helpful with overall immersion. I personally don't enjoy when" you are the one" is the center focus of a MMO in general...whats everyone else's feelings on this?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Up until lvl 50 - I thought some of the stories were pretty good. After lvl 50, I thought the story really needed some help as I didn't feel very immersed.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I have mixed feelings on it

drawing upon my experiences with GW1

Prophecies - I liked being part of the story but admittadly the story is redundant with alts

Nightfall - the "you are the hero" was too heavy handed and I think ANET learned from this

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by botrytis

Up until lvl 50 - I thought some of the stories were pretty good. After lvl 50, I thought the story really needed some help as I didn't feel very immersed.

I agree with that after the battle of claw island it sort of drops off but main topic is really the presentation and how its implemented not the actual story itself

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406

i for 100% agree with you.

I also think the story is extremely lame ...

however! the presentation the cut scenes the fact that it plays in this closed off area is brilliant.

Fix that story and it's all awesome

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

I like that they give you the option to choose to do the story or not. Myself I like how each races and choice upto the Claw Island part let you kinda make your own path but even after Claw Island the story really does take you on a journey that tells a good story with it. Most of all though the choice to follow the story after the start of you time in the world is what makes me like it you decide if you want the story or just play the game.

And even without the story itself theres a ton of lore you learn just by reading this or that in the game from gave stones to plaques to books even theres alot of story without.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    One of the things I dislike about MMO questing is how it generally tries to make you the hero inside the main game world, with everyone else doing the exact same save the world quests right along side you. GW2 I feel solves this by taking that aspect and making it optional and completely instanced and leaving the world quests to actually make sense in a way that everyone can do them and not have" you" as the center of it all.. Sure not everyone cares or notices this type of thing but to me its immensely helpful with overall immersion. I personally don't enjoy when" you are the one" is the center focus of a MMO in general...whats everyone else's feelings on this?

Seriously?

The main quest dialog calls you the hero every few minutes. The NPCs in the cut scenes address you as hero. "Oh look, there's the hero!". Ok, so it's instance heroism, so what? Everyone does the same "heroic" quests.

Personally, I got tired of the bloat.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

Originally posted by Zekiah

Seriously?

The main quest dialog calls you the hero every few minutes. The NPCs in the cut scenes address you as hero. "Oh look, there's the hero!". Ok, so it's instance heroism, so what? Everyone does the same "heroic" quests.

think you completely missed the point of the topic

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Personally, I listened to the first few pieces of dialogue and I skipped to the end on all of the rest. It started out boring, so I didn't bother with the rest of it.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

I would like this if they had gone all the way with it.  But after being declare the "Hero of...."  h hen asked by a commoner to perform menial tasks....it just creates a disconnect.

Either have me be the hero or don't have me be the hero, but there has to be some sort of agreement there.

I personally like being some sort of Hero.  It elevates the importance of the game's adventure to me.  If I am just going to play an average joe, then you need to make the story interesting enough that I don't feel like what I am doing is a chore I could just do in real life.

In the end, I am playing the game to play something I would fantasize playing. 

Originally posted by grimal

I would like this if they had gone all the way with it.  But after being declare the "Hero of...."  h hen asked by a commoner to perform menial tasks....it just creates a disconnect.Either have me be the hero or don't have me be the hero, but there has to be some sort of agreement there.I personally like being some sort of Hero.  It elevates the importance of the game's adventure to me.  If I am just going to play an average joe, then you need to make the story interesting enough that I don't feel like what I am doing is a chore I could just do in real life.In the end, I am playing the game to play something I would fantasize playing. 

you are some sort of hero in gw2 world questing you just aren't "the" hero aside from in your personal instanced story.. In swtor I found it ridiculous some of the silly and trivial tasks I was doing as a "lord of the sith"

I would like this if they had gone all the way with it.  But after being declare the "Hero of...."  h hen asked by a commoner to perform menial tasks....it just creates a disconnect.

Either have me be the hero or don't have me be the hero, but there has to be some sort of agreement there.

I personally like being some sort of Hero.  It elevates the importance of the game's adventure to me.  If I am just going to play an average joe, then you need to make the story interesting enough that I don't feel like what I am doing is a chore I could just do in real life.

you are some sort of hero in gw2 world questing you just aren't "the" hero aside from in your personal instanced story.. In swtor I found it ridiculous some of the silly and trivial tasks I was doing as a "lord of the sith"

Why separate the world questing and personal story questing social status?  Just doesnt work for me.

• KhorraxKhorrax Member UncommonPosts: 53

Seriously?

I think he has a point.

Even though Trahearne seems to take over the central role at some point, you are still in fact the one who does all the work and get all the praise. Trahearne may be the leader, but you are still the one who takes all the decisions. And he is nowhere to be found when you take down Zhaitan.

The thing that makes the least sense to me however, is how all of a sudden you helped bring back Destiny's Edge together and everyone thanks you again. Leaving aside the fact that you are somewhat forced to do dungeons if you want to know more about Destiny's Edge (and even then, you are still left with more questions than answers), their role throughout the storyline is minimal. Therefore, them suddenly appearing for the last storyline quest makes it a bit inconsistent.

• Trudge34Trudge34 Member UncommonPosts: 392

Honestly I didn't care for the personal story quests really. I'm one that doesn't care for the MMO story of you are the hero and all that. On top of that, it made absolutely no sense to me when joining one of the three factions, why you get a bit of rookie hazing from the mentor and higher ups in the order, yet they rely on you to make all the important decisions.

Come on rook, what is our plan of action for taking back Claw Island? I know I'm the general, but how do you want our troops positioned to withstand this assault? Why would I, just joining the order, be making the decisions?

If the story finishes how I think it will, I'm on the last one right now, you'll kill Zhaitan who's the driving force behind the corruption of Orr...then what? Why have the main antagonist be killed through the story? So he's dead and nothing has changed in the world? 

In my opinion, if you want a storyline in an MMO, it would be best told as one of the NPC's stories and would almost be an ongoing story that would tell you how the current world that you are playing in 99% of the time came to be the way it is. This would enable you to take part in the story, but you and two million others wouldn't be the focus of it. Instead you'd just be one of the pact members, still take part in everything that you were able to along the way, but it would make sense contextually.    

Played: EQ1 (10 Years), Guild Wars, Rift, TERA
    Tried: EQ2, Vanguard, Lord of the Rings Online, Dungeons and Dragons Online, Runes of Magic and countless others...
    Currently Playing: GW2

Nytlok Sylas
    80 Sylvari Ranger

Originally posted by Khorrax

Seriously?

I think he has a point.

Even though Trahearne seems to take over the central role at some point, you are still in fact the one who does all the work and get all the praise. Trahearne may be the leader, but you are still the one who takes all the decisions. And he is nowhere to be found when you take down Zhaitan.

The thing that makes the least sense to me however, is how all of a sudden you helped bring back Destiny's Edge together and everyone thanks you again. Leaving aside the fact that you are somewhat forced to do dungeons if you want to know more about Destiny's Edge (and even then, you are still left with more questions than answers), their role throughout the storyline is minimal. Therefore, them suddenly appearing for the last storyline quest makes it a bit inconsistent.

my OP has nothing to do with the actual personal story at all..did people just read the first sentence and respond?

I would like this if they had gone all the way with it.  But after being declare the "Hero of...."  h hen asked by a commoner to perform menial tasks....it just creates a disconnect. Either have me be the hero or don't have me be the hero, but there has to be some sort of agreement there. I personally like being some sort of Hero.  It elevates the importance of the game's adventure to me.  If I am just going to play an average joe, then you need to make the story interesting enough that I don't feel like what I am doing is a chore I could just do in real life. In the end, I am playing the game to play something I would fantasize playing. 

Why separate the world questing and personal story questing social status?  Just doesnt work for me.

I don't feel personal story should be a center focus of a mmo at all..in gw2 its only a very tiny piece of the content and you could easily skip it altogether and still enjoy a ton of content

• dopplemmodopplemmo Member UncommonPosts: 31

I agree that it is great that the Story Mode has been made optional, because it is so lacking in its implementation that I could not get myself to finish it at least once. So they at least got that optional part, right.

I don't feel personal story should be a center focus of a mmo at all..in gw2 its only a very tiny piece of the content and you could easily skip it altogether and still enjoy a ton of content

For a themepark, I find that you need a central story arc, otherwise, the drive to continue on sort of falters.

I would like this if they had gone all the way with it.  But after being declare the "Hero of...."  h hen asked by a commoner to perform menial tasks....it just creates a disconnect. Either have me be the hero or don't have me be the hero, but there has to be some sort of agreement there. I personally like being some sort of Hero.  It elevates the importance of the game's adventure to me.  If I am just going to play an average joe, then you need to make the story interesting enough that I don't feel like what I am doing is a chore I could just do in real life. In the end, I am playing the game to play something I would fantasize playing. 

For a themepark, I find that you need a central story arc.

I do as well I just don't feel it should be the center focus of the game if the story is going to be about "you" as the hero or the "one".. You can be a hero joining forces with other heros but to make the quests feel like you are the chosen one then the guy next to me is also the chosen one and so on and so on

For a themepark, I find that you need a central story arc.

I do as well I just don't feel it should be the center focus of the game if the story is going to be about "you" as the hero or the "one".. You can be a hero joining forces with other heros but to make the quests feel like you are the chosen one then the guy next to me is also the chosen one and so on and so on

I don't like that either.  But I think there's a way the writers can figure out a way to make it work.

I don't think the GW2 writers figured out how, though.

[mod edit]

irony so thick its blinding.. Anyway I personally enjoy the story overall and its great XP...sorry that my enjoyment of talking about a game I actually enjoy in its own forums offends you

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    I agree, I like that the immersion is increased by making it clear that GW2 is not just one game, it is a collection of several smaller games; that way I can feel immersed in each of the small games themselves. 
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    I agree, I like that the immersion is increased by making it clear that GW2 is not just one game, it is a collection of several smaller games; that way I can feel immersed in each of the small games themselves. 

That is so ridicuously true it's ridiculous. I can spend hours upon hours in WvW and nearly forget that's only one piece of the larger game. It's practically a full game in and of itself.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

That is so ridicuously true it's ridiculous. I can spend hours upon hours in WvW and nearly forget that's only one piece of the larger game. It's practically a full game in and of itself.

this is how I play the game as well each aspect sPVP, WvW, open world, personal story all play like their own games in a way and I can get myself immersed in them all

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Volkon

this is how I play the game as well each aspect sPVP, WvW, open world, personal story all play like their own games in a way and I can get myself immersed in them all

At the moment I'm leveling an elementalist, mostly in WvW. However I've been popping out to do the personal story along the way... after all the rewards (including level appropriate gear) are worth it. It's so dramatically different... the chaos of WvW to the less chaotic yet random PvE world to the story line... it's easy to get lost in one and forget the others. Hell, I've yet to set foot in sPvP! Another whole aspect of the game I haven't tried yet.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

That is why I respnded to the OP the way I originally did. I feel the stories are immersive up to lvl 50 but after that lose muster and not really immersive at all.

I like the fact they are not the whole story, as in Rift for example, because I really got sick of being a  ressurected superhero. I like the fact, that in GW2, based on your race - take the human stories for example, you can go beyond your simple upbringing to help the world. It is quite a unique way of looking at it.

The Norn stories are also well done. I feel they add to the immersion of playing that race and is one of my favorites currently.