Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Holy trinity + dungeons + raids

2»

Comments

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by 7star

The same formula we came to know and ... well, depends on you.

This video lays it out: 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/28/wildstars-group-combat-looks-sort-of-familiar/#comment-1024410

Looks like WoW in space to me. When the dev says holy trinity/dungeons/raids, I lost all interest in this one.

Why would you leave WoW or any other H3-gear grinder for this?

Totally going to have to pass on this one - just the same ole thing again as always.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

Originally posted by solarine
    Raiding is OK as long as it's one of the many "endgame" forms. If all you have in terms of long-term gameplay is limited to raids and PVP (and daily quests, argh), that's where it gets suffocating.Me, I like the trinity in RPGs. To me it's either that or straight out FPS combat. Haven't found a "third way" I like yet.

This is what the game has to do. I like the Trinity to be honest, I found GW2 a big cluster of zerging. I just want a variety of stuff to do at end game, not just raiding.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Dissapoitment. After GW2 (well before also but especially after GW2) holy trinity is out of the window for me, its so simple and boring and redundant remaint of archaic times.

I guess itll be good solo game, but if progression is locked behind raiding and if you need to sub to solo its double fail for me.

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    It does look like a beefed up WoW in space indeed, it is also made by old WoW devs. I'm looking forward to it.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Margulis

This video lays it out: 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/06/28/wildstars-group-combat-looks-sort-of-familiar/#comment-1024410

Looks like WoW in space to me. When the dev says holy trinity/dungeons/raids, I lost all interest in this one.

Totally going to have to pass on this one - just the same ole thing again as always.

We have not gotten enough info yet for you to make that call. We know very little about the combat system, we know nothing about the class system. We know nothing about the gear progression. We know very little about this game. How you got its the same ole thing? 

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Margulis

This video lays it out: 

single player progression is supposedly rewarding

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm?game=632&feature=6656&WildStar-Ensuring-That-the-Journey-is-Fun.html

The sheer level of content we can expect is kind of staggering but what is really impressive is the fact that there will be more than a few people dedicated to the task of churning out single-player content to ensure the non-PvPer and the non-Raider have something to do.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

The responses in this thread are ridiculous. So it has dungeons and raids. This alone is a good thing. 

Now isn't this supposed to be a sandbox? Is it a player driven economy, where the best gear is crafted? If so, what will drop in these dungeons is the question.

If the dungeons drop gear or tokens for gear, then it will be a problem. If not, then there is no problem adding them.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by bcbully

The responses in this thread are ridiculous. So it has dungeons and raids. This alone is a good thing. 

Now isn't this supposed to be a sandbox? Is it a player driven economy, where the best gear is crafted? If so, what will drop in these dungeons is the question.

If the dungeons drop gear or tokens for gear, then it will be a problem. Then there is no problem adding them.

We have no info to support anything in your comments. We know nothing about crafting, dungeons, gear progression. This thread is a fail. Feb 13th is to be the biggest reveal about the game to date. Over the next few weeks we are going to get a lot of answers about what this game is about. Up to now, mostly its players gessing what the game is about by a few demo combat vids. 

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

Such a shame, everything else I really like, but trinity is a dealbreaker for me.

Dungeons will probably drop items and materials used in crafting

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

You know I don't mind dungeons or raids, I do mind the holy trinity though. However long as this game is B2P, combat is hybrid based or something(Like GW2), and doesn't have basic quests then I'm fine.

I wonder how the grouping is as well, I really don't like being required or forced which ever word looks better to you, to have to wait and ask people "LFG"  when I can just play alongside them and communicate with them if I want to like I do any way, cause majority of the time we group up, then leave right after the quest, but it's different when he,she, and I for example just want to talk, feels a lot better because we want to not need to.

Though if the grouping is like a forced or required mechanic then I'll join a guild.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    After playing GW2 for a while, I'd be happy to settle back into some trinity dungeons/raids.
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Most of the reasons for not playing in this thread come down to two things...

I'm not going to play because blah blah blah I wasn't going to play anyway.

Or they made it a wow clone and I'm a gw2 fanboy so they should of made it a gw2 clone.

Both solid reasons imo. The game will suffer for not having these types of people whinning on the forums after launch.

• EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by Zuvielify
    Originally posted by munken

For me, the holy trinity is a must for raiding, and raiding is a must for mmorpg.

It is massively multiplayer online role playing game we are talking about here, not massivlely singleplayer online game, that everyone want's now a day's. That's what's killing the fun for me, running around not talking, not helping each other, just doing your own thing, it has kept me from playing these games for a very long time.

Now WS is coming, and it (from what little we have heard.) really seem to be putting some effort in to the social aspekt.

Agreed.

I think this game will be a good meld between WoW and GW2 mechanics. I'm hopeful it will be the best of both. 

I think the trinity is a must. I also like some of the things GW2 is doing with combat; however, the lack of trinity in that game makes combat so shallow, imo. So, movement/dodging is good, reliance on others (to do more than rez you) is good, having roles so encounters can be more interesting, good. 

I think it would be interesting to see the gameplay mechanics of gw2 implemented with a trinity system..........although gw2 does do that already. we have had tank builds and support builds. Ive seen warriors hold aggro through a whole fight in gw2. To say that the trinity is needed after playing gw2 and seeing that filling all roles is still viable with some builds just screams ignorance on some peoples parts in my opinion.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    Originally posted by jedensuscg
    Originally posted by Tazlor

Standard MMORPG features in a MMORPG? That's just stupid!

This.

"omg my MMO has raids, and dungeons and whats this, heales and tanks!  NO WAY this is the "new" generation, we are doing away with everything that even hints at an MMO"

get real people, GW2's PvEis not some magic formula either.  There solution to no healers or tanks...let just give EVERYONE heals...ya that solved that problem.

While i give them credit for there unique style, some people actually like having the tried and true formula.  Even hardcore players that don't play WoW.

Will wildstar suck? maybe but it will not be because they have trinity, raids and dungeons. It will because they do not bring any other unique and fun ideas to back them up.  SO how about people don't go all hispter and think its the cool thing to automatically bash a game that has barely had any information realeased on it just because they mentioned the staples of MMORPG's.

I have to agree to a point. Trinity based gameplay can be good, as long as it's done well and not overly limiting. I would say my biggest problem with the video was that the combat didn't look all that exciting. It was pretty standard, stand around and auto-attack and wait to use specials. Granted it looks like they literally just threw it together without a ton of thought into the presentation.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Damn, game's off the radar for me, now. I can't do this gameplay anymore, it's almost to tedious to even be called a game. That video showed a world that looked really interesting and fun to explore but combat that can be found in 90% of the games out there, none of which I'm playing and for good reason. Free form targetting won't be enough to change that.

In every one of those fights in the combat video, the Warrior rushes in as the tank and everyone just stands back spamming attacks/heals from out of aggro range. Honestly, I'd rather have an MMO with no combat and no gear, than an MMO with dated versions of either.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Most of the reasons for not playing in this thread come down to two things...

I'm not going to play because blah blah blah I wasn't going to play anyway.

Or they made it a wow clone and I'm a gw2 fanboy so they should of made it a gw2 clone.

Both solid reasons imo. The game will suffer for not having these types of people whinning on the forums after launch.

Way to oversimplify lol

Also there is no escape from whining, No escape. (other than just playing and not using forums :P)

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    This thread is from last June. Locking to prevent confusion from the necro.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.