Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Why do you leave an MMO?

IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Me? Because something new catches my eye or something old seems like a good idea to go back to...I must have quit WOW 10 times in 10 years

How about you?

Edit: added poll

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
― CD PROJEKT RED

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Iselin
    Me? Because something new catches my eye or something old seems like a good idea to go back to...I must have quit WOW 10 times in 10 years
    How about you?

Basically once the character progression stops and or ive "seen all there is to see".

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

How about you?

wow is in it's 9th year of retail tho ^^

anyway, i leave games when they are no fun anymore. quite simple :)

(only paused wow once tho so far... in 9 years hehe)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136
    Zod leaves if the PvP is lackluster or if the game gets repetitive.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

Simple. If my friends are no longer playing it, neither am I.

MMOs are built to play with people and since most people suck, I stick with friends :p Better to play a bland game with people I know I can have fun with than play a fun game alone or with idiots.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    When I'm not enjoying the game anymore.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

How about you?

Almost always because the MMORPG fails to capture my interest. A MMORPG generally doesn't capture my interest if the game is too easy, and/or is just a copy of what has been done to death already. For instance, quest hub grinding has been done to death, so if the majority of the new games content centers around this, then I lose interest as soon as the newness of all the other interesting features, if they have any, wears off. 

My favorite MMORPGs are/were:

DAoC pre-Catacombs

SWG pre-NGE

CoH

All those games have 2 things in common. 1. A deep character customization and progression system; and 2. Fun group gameplay, where grouping is the preferred way and most fun way to go.

Grinding out solo quests, which aren't even worthy of being called quests (delivering a letter or collecting herbs for an NPC for example), is not fun and has never been fun to me. The most fun in MMORPG's for me is challenging group content and a deep character customization and progression system. Meaning, classes usually aren't balanced for 1v1 battles, and you CAN gimp yourself if you don't use your brain.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    i usually quit when i am burned out, when i have to force myself to log in
  • General_Dru-ZodGeneral_Dru-Zod Member Posts: 136

How about you?

Edit: added poll

The poll is all over the place

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by Nitth

How about you?

Basically once the character progression stops and or ive "seen all there is to see".

This is usually me, especially in a modern theme park style game.  I'm not a fan of raiding for better gear, so that holds no real interest.

I favor MMOs where the end game revolves around terrritory control, PVP and denial of resources to your opponents which few titles offer these days.

I just left EVE recently (again), not because I really wanted to, but my work schedule leaves me so little time to play that I can't really do the activities I want to focus on such as incursion running, null sec living etc.

So now I'm sort of dinking around in GW2 and Aion, because I can play for short spurts and there's no demands that I be somewhere to defend the keep or whatever.

But I do miss that style of gameplay...just have to win that lotto and I can get back into the game again. image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

After I complete my personal heroic story and am relegated to grinding, ie: dailies, gear grind, raids. MMOs have little replayability (I am an alt-o-holic by nature) for me anymore.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Voted: "last patch is the last straw"

I'll spare everyone my rant.  I don't like the developers ideas on making their games "better".

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Er, pretty simple.  I get bored.  How is that not on the poll?

I could add that being bored means I've run out of things to do, that I have any interest in doing.  That can mean activities that are still fun, even after repeating them ad nauseam, but in MMOs, it tends to have more to do with goals.  Goals that make that  repetition feel worthwhile.  I run out of goals that hold any motivation for me, personally.  There might still be lots I haven't done, but for whatever reason, none of it appeals to me anymore, so I find another game that does.

Achievements and titles, for example?   Good luck with that, but I never cared about that sort of thing, even when the game was shiny and new, nevermind 3-6 months later.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

I chose the "Other" option, so here's my explanation: Quite simply, when I stop having fun, I stop playing.  It could be days, or sometimes weeks before I realized I'm not having fun any more.  I keep thinking "OK, maybe today I'll find that one thing that makes me stay" - then it hits me that I shouldn't have to wait for that one thing, and, sighing, I uninstall the game.  It's pretty sad, really.

• WillyMMORPGWillyMMORPG Member UncommonPosts: 78

I answered "That last patch.....the devs made me do it" option.

I don't jump around games very often usually sticking with a game way longer than I should, so there is a pattern.

I played Everquest 1 for four years and just got fed up with the buggy undercooked expansions that were spewed forth about every 6-9 months. I stayed with the game through GoD which was a muddled mess. I blame the greedy devs who just wanted to sell regular expansions instead of fixing countless bugs and improving existing game systems.

I migrated to Star Wars Galaxies, which was probably a mistake since it was ANOTHER Sony Online Entertainment game, but I really like it, despite the COUNTLESS BUGS. It was my first sandbox and was a breath of fresh air after four years with EQ1. Then... May 2005, Combat Upgrade and the "Wookies" expansion that I'm guess Lucas forced SOE to shove out so they'd have cross promotional opportunities with whichever prequel movie that was released that month. Google "SWG + CU + NGE" if you don't know that infamous story of that debacle. Again, I blame the developers for forcing me out of a game that I was enjoying. Oh, and I vowed to never play another Sony Online Entertainment game, again. I've kept that vow since May 2005.

Back then, there weren't very many choices for MMOs and I ended up playing the soon-to-be-Juggernaut that became World of Warcraft and I had a long run there, lasting 6.5 years. There were ups, There were downs but overall, I had a lot of fun. Until.... the Ghostcrawler regime changed the whole philosophy of WoW withe Cataclysm. I lasted about a year after Cataclysm was released, but again, I blame the devs for changing their design approach and ruining a game that albeit was flawed, it wasn't broken.

Concurrently, I had been playing Star Trek Online since day one of launch in February of 2010, and although there were many problems, I had fun playing the game even though it wasn't even close to being a AAA MMO. I usually played STO during increasing periods of World of Warcraft burnout and when I left WoW for good, it became my main game.

Then, Cryptic sold out literally and figuratively. Perfect World took over the studio, the game went free-to-play, and the quaint little cash shop became the game's main focus. Pay-to-open lockboxes were introduced, the devs spent all their time desiging cash shop ships, the management decided to make many cash-grab moves, like putting LifeTime subscriptions on sale a few weeks before the game reached its 1000 day milestone and grandfathering in all new Lifers so they could get "free" ships at that milestone instantly, even though long time loyal subscribers had done it the old fashioned HARD way (I was three weeks short of 1000 days as a monthly, uninterrupted since launch, subscriber and had to wait to get my "free" ship while watching all of the countless new Lifers flying around in their instant-reward ships -- a LOT of long-time loyal players including myself weren't too happy about this blatant cash grab).

The straw that broke the camels back, though, was Cryptic's ill-advised Season 7 patch which increased the pressure for cash shop purchases, nerfed numerous methods of getting in game currency, expanded the horrible grind-tastic approach to the game, yet failed to add very much tangible content to the game (players were begging for more story line "featured event" missions, which the devs all but stopped producing in their rush to embrace the cash grab buy a pretty ship in our store or open lock boxes with real life cash keys mentality). So, after 33 months of uninterrupted subscribing to STO, barely 3 months short of my third anniversary which just passed, I quit playing, quit subsribing and haven't looked back. See above, I blame greedy developers...

I'm currently playing Secret World (after VERY brief flirtations with Star Wars the Old Republic and Tera) and I'm enjoying the game because it's fun and innovative. I'm kind of troubled by several recent problems (staff layoffs, office relocations, delaying of "regular" content updates) but I'm crossing my fingers that they sort out all of their problems and I can hang around for the foreseeable future.

• maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

My reasons:

1- Some new patch that damaged the mmo (ex: Trammel in UO).

2- Demands from real life. Little time available (reason to give a break, no quit definitely).

3- Server going off (ocurred once in a L2 private server).

4- I get to know AFTER starting the game that it lacks meaningful PVP or enough sandbox tools (ocurred when i tried WoW years ago).

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

Devs ruined pvp $OE take over (EQ). Devs abandonded the game for Wowhammer (DAOC) devs let $OE take over (POTBS)

Devs-GMs caught cheating Joining goonswarm (EVE)5 year break I do play this again now couldn't stay away forever.

And now that portalus games took over POTBS have decided to give it another go.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Staff is laid off.

Business model changes.

Game pushes me into a playstyle I have been trying to avoid.