Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 sold 3million copies now, how much wil it sell in the end?

laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004

well, GW2 is going to try their luck in the China market.

And as many of us know China is the largest gaming market at the moment.

How many copies of GW2 do you think Anet will sell in the end?

Comments

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Kabaal

LOL beat me to it!:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Well, in the end it will have sold zero, zero being the point in which it is no longer selling copies, hence this is the end.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by FelixMajor
    Well, in the end it will have sold zero, zero being the point in which it is no longer selling copies, hence this is the end.

Deep thinker. lol

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Not counting China sales, I think the game will have sold 4.5 Million+ copies by the end 2013. With China and other Asian markets? No clue.

Sales for the entire franchise? I really have no clue, but if the game keeps getting better and the expansions are worthy, they have a good chance to sell over 20 million copies, including expansions, with in five years.

I still see the game as having potential to snowball over time in a way somewhat similar to the ascension of WoW, so there is upside to the 20 million guesstimate. :)

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171

3 mill copies sold and around 1 mill ppl stoped playing it, game is loosing ppl and that will continue. At the end of 2013 thay should be lucky to have 500.000 ppl playing it.

Neverwinter and Defiance are games that will seriously impact the sale of GW2 it all depens how good they will be when they go live.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Without knowledge of China's market that's not very easy to predict.  Priced well and marketed properly it should do fine.  I just wonder if the design of GW2 will be a good fit for their market.  Tough call.  Not even a guess on sales.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961

More than 3 million ? Something like that.

Why do people bother with sales number. I played games which sold few copies that I enjoyed a lot and I played games that sold millions of copies which were no fun at all for me.

There is no correlation between sold copies and whether I like a game or not. So why should I care ? Why should anyone care except the producer ?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by koljane

3 mill copies sold and around 1 mill ppl stoped playing it, game is loosing ppl and that will continue. At the end of 2013 thay should be lucky to have 500.000 ppl playing it.

Neverwinter and Defiance are games that will seriously impact the sale of GW2 it all depens how good they will be when they go live.

What's strange though is the fact that they've been having an increase in people logging in to play in spite of these millions or so leaving. Paradox. I need to roll an Asura named "The Doctor".

Oderint, dum metuant.

• ownprocessownprocess Member UncommonPosts: 21
    The game has already done extremely well.  As has been said, if they keep on improving the game, addition of more content including expansions (new continents: Cantha, Elona) I can only see it continuing to grow.
  • JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

I don't think they'll have sold much more than 4M copies before the first expansion is released. If they can sell 2M copies of the expansion, they'll have done pretty good.

In the end it won't sell anymore, but I guess you meant 'how many copies will it have sold in the end?"

imageimage
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I don't think they'll have sold much more than 4M copies before the first expansion is released. If they can sell 2M copies of the expansion, they'll have done pretty good.

In the end it won't sell anymore, but I guess you meant 'how many copies will it have sold in the end?"

I think they have sold 4 million copies already. The expansion is for later this year, so they will probably sell many as people will flock back, grind out the content and leave. The same was done in GW1 (but the major expansions in GW1 were also stand alone games). Also, since it is a B2P game, people will react to it like any game expansion, buy it play it, leave when done or bored.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO

I think they have sold 4 million copies already. The expansion is for later this year, so they will probably sell many as people will flock back, grind out the content and leave. The same was done in GW1 (but the major expansions in GW1 were also stand alone games). Also, since it is a B2P game, people will react to it like any game expansion, buy it play it, leave when done or bored.

I wonder if they'll shake things up again and include the original game as part of the expansion so new players get the full content for a single purchase. I could see them doing that to shake things up even further. A new player pays n Dollars for the expansion and has the expansion plus the full game, say the $60 normal box price. Existing players that add the expansion as DLC get a discount. 

Oderint, dum metuant.

• laokokolaokoko Member UncommonPosts: 2,004
    Originally posted by Anthur

More than 3 million ? Something like that.

Why do people bother with sales number. I played games which sold few copies that I enjoyed a lot and I played games that sold millions of copies which were no fun at all for me.

There is no correlation between sold copies and whether I like a game or not. So why should I care ? Why should anyone care except the producer ?

As much as I like to believe sales dont' matter, i think it does.

If the dev is racking money of us, their think about pushing expansion and I don't just mean 1 expansion, I mean they'll keep pushing out expansion forever.

If it's not doing well, I think it'll be something like GW1, they won't continue push out expansion.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Although I play it on occasion, I am no GW2 fan. But, I think Neverwinter will end up like every other low population themepark after the initial rush. And, after playing the Defiance beta, I really don't think it will have a huge impact either.

Just my thoughts...nothing more.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    If its a good game it's all good. Far too much obsession on a game being 'top dog' when actually all that matters is that it entertains those who play the game with value for money.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Wait...I thought China sales don't count? or is that rule arround here just for Blizzard...
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Wait...I thought China sales don't count? or is that rule arround here just for Blizzard...

my guess is since everyone judges wow subs by including china in their numbers it would be nice to make a comparison, that is if people are really hung up on numbers i suppose..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

I wouldn't encourage them tbh.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

Inconsequential. Really inconsequential and irrelevant.

This is a BOX sale game. They have already made your money. Don't think they care particularly much if you keep playing it (in fact, they probably prefer if less people do, since they need to maintain less servers thus less running cost).

They are not trying to out-earn WoW here. They are simply trying to some money and be on their merry way.

To kabaal : 6*7!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    As long as it remains on the shelves (physical or virtual), those that don't already have it will perhaps buy it...
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Of course China sales count.

They just don't count $15 a pop for Blizzard.

It would also be nice if there was a number for separate markets, like this many players in Europe, this many players in US, this many in China.

It isn't exactly apples to apples when comparing games that haven't been released in China with games that have been released in there.

Or is there a problem if WoW has 3-4 million players in European+US market and 5-6 million in China instead of 9.6M overall?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GreyhooffGreyhooff Member Posts: 654

You guys do realise China is an incredibly populous country right

The potential is pretty insane

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

The rules have always been different for Blizzard because Chinese players aren't paying the full amount, they just count the time card players as full subs to make their numbers look impressive.  The $15 a month subs are a much lower population than 10+ million.  This has been discussed many times now.  Chinese sales for GW2, however, will be the box price just like it is here.