Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

On Preorders

AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

TotalBiscuit release a new video on game preorders that's definitively worth watching. He's not talking about MMORPGs in that video, but it applies to any video game, MMO or not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf5Uj4XIT1Y

The concept of preordering video games to me is simply silly. People get hyped so easily that they see no issue spending $60 on a game they've yet to play, only to be sure to be able to play the moment the game goes live or to get those 'bonuses' that players get from preorders (Beta Access, special mounts, special title, etc).

Then the game suddenly launches, players are billed and suddenly they get all disappointed. The game is not as good as they were told, they feel lied to, bla bla bla. Either that or they go into this frantic defense of the game. Yet, the cycle will repeat itself shortly after that next "Savior" pops up claiming to be different.

Shouldn't we put an end to this? To stop investing money on a product you've not even played yet? When will players finally say "Enough is enough"? We've already reached the point where even single player games like Dead Space 3 release with Day 1 DLC and a Cash Shop. It's ridiculous, but it's working.

Comments

• strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

I say you worry about your money and I'll worry about mine.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by strangepower

And I do worry about my money, which is exactly why I wrote that post.

So long as gamers continue to preorders games, it will give companies more incentive to make preorders increasingly more appealing to the point where I, as a potential customer, wouldn't get my money's worth by buying a game at launch than I would have had I preordered it.

I think that's a worriesome trend.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

So long as gamers continue to preorders games, it will give companies more incentive to make preorders increasingly more appealing to the point where I, as a potential customer, wouldn't get my money's worth by buying a game at launch than I would have had I preordered it.

Good point!

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616

I completely agree with you and you only have to see on this site how much advertising effects the site owners and users.

How many on this site will pay out on preorders for MMOs regardless of company rep, on how it's monetised, or on what features can be realistically clarified, solely on promises from messiah figures and the fact they, 'want to believe'? (Neverwinter seems to be the latest example).

While it's a bit rich for TB to bring this up,(he does tend to hype up some MMOs that he doesn't bother with much, SWTOR for example, though as you say he is talking about single player games), he is right in principle about this and what bonuses for preordering says to publishers.

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

Originally posted by strangepower I say you worry about your money and I'll worry about mine.

Did your read your own post? There is all this we stuff instead of me stuff. Speak for yourself...again.

If you are truly worried about your money there is no need to try to influence others on a forum.

Writing a post to sway does nothing other than air your subjective feelings on a subject, if you were truly concerned about your money you would simply not spend it.

Simple. No need to rally the troops, no need to involve anyone else.

But that's not what you did, you crafted a personal public service message in the guise of helping others when the reality is you are most likely disappointed by a purchase you made.

Then you go as far as to mention day one DLC...hindsight is 20/20. Calling it a disturbing "trend" is proof you are out of touch, it's been implemented for years now at this point.

The funny part is you are almost two decades too late, this is absolutely nothing new and nothing is going to change, time for a reality check.

Try the serenity prayer... "to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference"

Do you know the difference?

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

Originally posted by strangepower I say you worry about your money and I'll worry about mine.

If your worried about your money there is no need to try to influence others on a forum.

Writing a post to sway does nothing other than air your subjective feelings on a subject, if you were truly concerned about your money you would simply not spend it.

Simple. No need to rally the troops, no need to involve anyone else.

But that's not what you did, you crafted a personal public service message in the guise of helping others when the reality is you are most likely disappointed by a purchase you made.

Then you go as far as to mention day one DLC...hindsight is 20/20. Calling it a disturbing "trend" is proof you are out of touch, it's been implemented for years now at this point.

The funny part is you are almost two decades too late, this is absolutely nothing new and nothing is going to change, time for a reality check.

Try the serenity prayer... "to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference"

Do you know the difference?

Th OP and this post are two of the most well reasoned arguments I have seen on this site in 6 years. You both make good points and both are irrelevant.

Originally posted by huskie77==> Th OP and this post are two of the most well reasoned arguments I have seen on this site in 6 years. You both make good points and both are irrelevant.

I can honestly remember many many years ago crafting the same argument when DLC was a new thing. It used to be patches, then they named patches DLC, then they started including the data in the game at release to be unlocked later... not a trend, a reality. It's simply too late.

I called it back then and said essentially the same thing to myself the OP said about not buying it because it would set a precedent... look where we are at now.

Maybe I should of included that in my post, that fact that I agreed but at the same time accept the reality of the true situation; it's a trend that's here to stay.