Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

anybody else not a subscriber get an odd email from funcom

erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

OK let me preface this by saying I not played since October of last year.  I canceled my sub deleted my credit card info. 

So today I get this email Your membership for The Secret World has ended.   Im like yes that was months and months ago. 

So it reads like this

"

Dear blablabla,

Thank you very much for being a part of The Secret World. We hope that you are enjoying your adventures so far.

We are sorry to see that you have not played the game much, and would therefore like to give you an offer for two additional weeks of Membership FULLY FREE OF CHARGE! This offer is available only until February 26, so please act now to avoid missing out!

The benefits you receive as a member are:

• The Time Accelerator
  • 10% discount to all regularly priced items in the Item Store
  • Member gift of the month
  • 48 hours Early Access opportunity to new content (DLCs)
  • Accrue Veteran Points for powerful rewards
  • FREE bonus points

Please continue to support The Secret World and receive these benefits by signing up for membership here, inclusive of your two free weeks. If you only want two free weeks please click here. Please note that the FREE bonus points are not included with the free weeks.

If you would rather take a leap of timeless dedication and sign up for the lifetime membership available through the Grand Master Pack, please click here.

In addition you can complete 30 quests and receive $10 worth of Bonus Points to use in the in-game store, or go even further and complete the Polaris Dungeon for an amazing experience and a very special reward!

We look forward to seeing you in-game again soon!

Best regards,
Funcom"

I am like what in the world.  I not played since 9/25/2012.  They act like I just canceled my sub today.   What are the doing still trying to sell lifetime memberships after it went buy to play

Comments

• 2853rob2853rob Member UncommonPosts: 16
    Just got that as well not subscribed since august 12
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Yes just got one too.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Guess its going out to anyone who played the game.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• TacBravoTacBravo Member UncommonPosts: 5
    edited January 2016

I got one too, just now.  Weird thing is FunCom auto-cancelled my $14.95 per month paid subscription when they switched TSW to the free-to-play model in December.  I thought why would they get rid of all their paying subscriber incomes and make this switch?  Now they are sending gamers an e-mail saying "Your membership for The Secret World has ended?" I wasn't too pleased with that.

Post edited by TacBravo on
  • evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118

Yep, got one here too.  Weird to me since I've never been a subscriber.  I guess they called me one when I bought the B2P deal?  As long as I can still play, I'm good with that.

And I just played it last weekend......Maybe I don't play often enough (GW2 still takes up most of my gaming time) for them?  How lame.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    Whenever you buy TSW, you get one month of membership with the box. The thing I don't understand is why FC sent me this e-mail now, even though my membership should've ended almost month ago.
  • DartmedDartmed Member Posts: 36
    I got one also , couldn't figure out wy though ....?
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Much like the WoW and Rift emails, I am guessing they just send it to anyone who has ever played the game and is not currently subscribed to the premium membership.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Wow some folks are easily confused these days. So what, you had a membership by using up your free premium month included with the game, this is a "coming back/upgrade your account" email invitation - what´s the question?

Go premium or stick with the basic B2P  *shrug*

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    I never played the game and i got one too,
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    "If you would rather take a leap of timeless dedication and sign up for the lifetime membership.."

i lol'd
  • ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    They present their 4th quarter financial data this month. I would guess they want to increase the current sub numbers, so they can mention it in the call. I would aso guess anyone who takes them up on this offere will be counted as a sub when they do. 
  • DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

My  god you guys are slow.. Anyone that bought TSW B2P or the regular TSW before 12th of December... are now able to play TSW forever for free (New DLC's not included though).. On FUNCOMs account system they have registered you for this reason.. to make sure that you can play for free. You are registered as no members.. but still registered so you can get your shot of free MMO play... because you at one point bought the TSW.

Now.. here comes the hard bit.. Everyone being No member or Member will get an invitation or remindal to renew their membership eveery month. As in the default position for anyone besides the lifetimers is no membership and no subscription fee. You have to turn it on yourself every month to get that. Very noble of FUNCOM I would say as they are not going for that quick cash of people forgetting to turn off subsription... It's after all a B2P game so I agree with FUNCOMs practise here.

Having said that I would suggest you guys to turn on Subscription though as DLC#6 is coming out this month.. you might aswell get the sub so that DLC#6 comes to you for free AND you get veteran perks/point and items at the same time for free. If you do, you can comfortably know that status will automatically go to No membership next month and remind you again then if you want to turn it on. No moneygrabbing forgot to turn of subscription practise here. Good stuff really I think.

Am in AoC at moment now, but keep my TSW sub running for this reason. will go back when DLC#6 is in.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• mundus01mundus01 Member Posts: 100
    Yes got one as well was just reading that, I cancelled my account after first free month was up. Was wondering if it was a scan was about ready to contact funcom to see if it may be a scam.  Glad to see more here have gotten same e-mail. 
  • RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Originally posted by DaSpack

Having said that I would suggest you guys to turn on Subscription though as DLC#6 is coming out this month.. you might aswell get the sub so DLC#6 comes to you for free AND you get veteran perks/point and items for free.

Am in AoC at moment now, but keep my TSW sub running for this reason. will go back when DLC#6 is in.

Not everyone wants to pay for something they don't enjoy, we're not all made of money, or a sucker.

The email isn't very clear, once you speak with customer service they clear up what they meant to imply, but still Funcom should get someone better trained in communications.  

The email as it stands is confusing, implies you were paying for time, when they apparently gave us some free time, and it expired without being used so they wanted to invite us back to try with some free paid time.  Then there were those of us not elligible for the free time, but got lumped in because at some point we too, paid for the subscription so they sent us a welcome back but forgot to really explain it, in the email.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Now.. here comes the hard bit.. Everyone being No member or Member will get an invitation og remindal to renew their membership eveery month. As in the default positin for anyone besides the lifetimers is no membership and no subscription fee. You have to turn it on yourself every month to get that. Very noble of FUNCOM I would say as they are not going for that quick cash of people forgetting to turn off subsription... It's after all a B2P game so I agree with FUNCOMs practise here.

In fact, as someone who would be interested in FC financial success, I´d be mad about their honesty and good business practice.

I mean - woah- they CANCEL the subs because it´s gone B2P and send an invitation afterwards to get premium membership.

Can you imagine such a noble move from, for example, EA ?

Besides people don´t even find the item store in the TSW menu, any other title is plastering big fat item store buttons everywhere, telling you to get a sub in almost every window of the GUI (look at SWTOR or GW2 distasteful cash shop focus)

So either FC is just bananas and doesn´t care about revenue, or they are the most modest and humble developer out there.

Anyway I like them, they have the best MMOs with the least intrusive monetization.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by Rosha

Having said that I would suggest you guys to turn on Subscription though as DLC#6 is coming out this month.. you might aswell get the sub so DLC#6 comes to you for free AND you get veteran perks/point and items for free.

Not everyone wants to pay for something they don't enjoy, we're not all made of money, or a sucker.

The email isn't very clear, once you speak with customer service they clear up what they meant to imply, but still Funcom should get someone better trained in communications.  

The email as it stands is confusing, implies you were paying for time, when they apparently gave us some free time, and it expired without being used so they wanted to invite us back to try with some free paid time.  Then there were those of us not elligible for the free time, but got lumped in because at some point we too, paid for the subscription so they sent us a welcome back but forgot to really explain it, in the email.

No you are wrong. You bought TSW at one point. Therefore you are now registered with FUNCOM as No member so that you can play this B2P game forever. You will however get notified every month, wether you had a running membership/subscription or not, that now it is that time of the month again where you can turn your membership status on IF YOU WANT TO..

Dude it's a B2P game now. of course they must have you registered to give you your free play rights. An offer or remindal to turn on membership if you want, can't hardly be a problem as long as you read english??

The Ultimate Breakdown

Originally posted by FromHell

Now.. here comes the hard bit.. Everyone being No member or Member will get an invitation og remindal to renew their membership eveery month. As in the default positin for anyone besides the lifetimers is no membership and no subscription fee. You have to turn it on yourself every month to get that. Very noble of FUNCOM I would say as they are not going for that quick cash of people forgetting to turn off subsription... It's after all a B2P game so I agree with FUNCOMs practise here.

In fact, as someone who would be interested in FC financial success, I´d be mad about their honesty and good business practice.

I mean - woah- they CANCEL the subs because it´s gone B2P and send an invitation afterwards to get premium membership.

Can you imagine such a noble move from, for example, EA ?

Besides people don´t even find the item store in the TSW menu, any other title is plastering big fat item store buttons everywhere, telling you to get a sub in almost every window of the GUI (look at SWTOR or GW2 distasteful cash shop focus)

So either FC is just bananas and doesn´t care about revenue, or they are the most modest and humble developer out there.

Anyway I like them, they have the best MMOs with the least intrusive monetization.

Agreed.. Every time they turn off my membership it sometimes takes days before I get around to start it again. this practise does not serve them or the memebers that want the membership to run. FUNCOM is overly honest and modest here... and they loose sorely needed bucks on this. Still you see idiot posts like above on the topic.:/

The Ultimate Breakdown

edited January 2016

If FunCom would have asked me, I would have said please don't cancel my subscription, I don't want it cancelled unless I ask for that first.  Please don't offer me bonuses that are meaningless to me as I will not spend money to buy them. Please ask me what bonuses I care about first.  Please don't try to sell me stuff in an in-game store, especially after I already paid for the right to play the game. 

Lastly, please don't cancel my membership unless I expressly request that first.  Some at FunCom might calll that a downgrade.  I call it a degrade.  Actually it's an offense that after buying the game and paying for subscriptions that I did not want cancelled that I now have been reduced to a mostly meaningless status, that of a "Non-Member."   That is, unless of course, I will send more cash  WIth all that said, I have to say I love the game.

• MarcelinoMarcelino Member UncommonPosts: 124

Ive just got this one

"We are excited to let you know that as a member you get three days early access to Issue #6; The Last Train to Cairo. Non-members will not get access until Sunday the 17th of March, but you can jump into the action right now! Get Issue #6 in the Item Store for just $10 or buy it with your bonus points. Remember that your membership discount always applies"

I bought the game on day one of release and got a free month but I never paid for a seccond month. I started playing again when it went B2P :)

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Marcelino

Ive just got this one

"We are excited to let you know that as a member you get three days early access to Issue #6; The Last Train to Cairo. Non-members will not get access until Sunday the 17th of March, but you can jump into the action right now! Get Issue #6 in the Item Store for just $10 or buy it with your bonus points. Remember that your membership discount always applies"

I bought the game on day one of release and got a free month but I never paid for a seccond month. I started playing again when it went B2P :)

Just an offer to sub again and gain some bene's.  If you want to keep playing as you are, you can do...  I guess the Members get the new Issue a few days early.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Marcelino

I think they just didn't bother to make 2 kind of letters for one different line... read it like an investigation mission to decide whether you are eligible for the 3days headstart or not :)

edited January 2016

I got it too.  I have to say their communication between the previous e-mail and this one is vastly improved.  Kudos for them on that.  But I would still recommend they do not separate their customers into members versus non-members.  It is somewhat of a slap in the face to be lowered into a non-member status after paying to buy the game in the first place.  Plus it's easy to assume that if someone buys the game, then they are a member, permanently.

There is another issue though.  That is the idea of releasing the next issue three days early for paying members.

Dropping subscriptions was perhaps a smart financial move the numbers seem to show.  What was clearly not smart was not making it clear on December 12 that subscriptions would and should continue and were highly recommended (although completely optional, but they didn't say it like that).  Instead they just dropped subscribers, and focused on the idea of free.  Smart would have clearly underscored outstanding benefits that would greatly enhance the subscriber gaming experience over and above the non-subscriber experience, but not enough to significanrly degrade either the non-subscriber or the lifetime subscriber experience.  This was not the approach.  Instead subscriber benefits appeared that were questionable to some people.  Too many lifetime subscribers were also deeply offended and felt ripped off and let others know it big time. FunCom has lost extra money through these various chinks in the economic strategy.  Fortunately, the game is a terrific asset.  But, that shouldn't be used as a cover-up for a less than shimmering marketing design.

With that said, I am much more encouraged to play now as a result of the latest communiqué, but am considering putting my money somewhere else in the next three days, rather than take part in a possible bug-ridden experience for three days, or else simply wait a little longer for the next great MMO release of 2013.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by TacBravo

There is another issue though.  That is the idea of releasing the next issue three days early for paying members.  It's easy to see another aspect of this is that a smaller group of paying members are used to beta test issue #6 for free before the population-at-large plays.  While that does make good engineering sense and the transition smoother and less buggy, it also makes the three days early access into an unpure bonus because people who pay more are discriminately used to test the game for free.  In effect, they are also possibly paying a little more, especially if there are more bugs--a negative externality.  These people may not care if they are used or not, but the fact is, they are still used if they choose to take advantage of the "bonus."  But FunCom Marketing is not highlighting that anywhere, even though it is a material and ethical fact that deserves FunCom's proactive disclosure at the same time they push the plus side benefits of the bonus to the market.  Why even have this, the three day early access is a highly questionable "bonus."

All updates are put up on the Testlive server prior to launch, which all players have access to if they sign-up.  Membership early access is not "bug testing."

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=55882

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    I got one of these too awhile back even though  I haven't played it in months. This is clearly a case of a company being lazy with their e-mail lists. It's not that hard to create seperate lists for subs and non-subs and then tailor the message to each one. There are many professional services available that specialize in this. I'd recomend Funcom to use one of them because the wrong e-mail  can lead to a lot of fustration and anger with their current players. It also leads to an impression in the gaming community that you don't know what you're doing. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft