Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: The Jewel of the North Shines

13»

Comments

• JeanneJeanne Member UncommonPosts: 22

I have to admit I've always liked Neverwinter Nights ,(and I'm still playing NWN2 daily, on online servers after so many years) ,so it's no big surprise to me this game has me interested.

I also played the one called Dungeons and Dragons Online from it's launch ..but never ever felt at home there (I had played all the other classic D&D crpgs, and they were in Forgotten Realms too) ..well perhaps except Troika's Temple of Elemental Evil (Greyhawk?)

Firstly, DDO didn't feel like Dungeons and Dragons to me, because I knew none of the names.  Secondly I felt almost as shut in and trapped, as I did in Eye of the Beholder years prior) , being limited to staying inside this one (arguably big) city.

On to this preview ?  Yes I agree that creating characters is a -big- thing for me in roleplaying games too ( ;-) how many hours have Baldur's Gate players spent rolling die to get a score they're happy with (at least 3 skills of 18!) 

I'm really curious to see the character creation in Neverwinter too , and I know Cryptic are really good at this. (will Neverwinter's character creation be better than Champion Online's ? Really ?! :)  They put the bar really high with that game)

• JeanneJeanne Member UncommonPosts: 22
    Originally posted by GreenLanternFan

Suzie, I love your articles here at MMORPG as I do those belonging to the other writers here as well, but for the love of God and all that is holy, MMORPG seriously needs to buck up the money and hire an editor already?!

Having to re-read sections of articles due to spelling and grammatical mistakes very much detracts from the article IMHO and make no mistake, this article had a few possible stumbling points for its reader(s) -- a couple of the errors are so blatant that they can even be picked up simply by copying and pasting your article in Word for goodness sakes.

In addition, I'd also like to add, that to some, errors can have a great website like this one looking a bit "Bush League".

As a writer myself, I understand that even the most skilled of us have their off days and that is precisely what editors/proofreaders are for.

So, tell your boss to stop being so damn cheap and hire a darn editor already!

I mean this with the utmost sincerity. I really enjoy this site; however, far too often when reading articles, I see a number of spelling and grammatical errors...it drives me batty.

Aside from the errors causing my rant, it was a very interesting article...can't wait to give the game a go myself.

....What are you on about ? I imagine most of us here read an exciting article (of someone excited by the game) and .....

Did I stop and starting to tear my hair out because of , grammar or "breaking the holy rules of article writing?"  There's one term they use for people like you , you guys appear in the commentary fields of nearly every online newspaper article , game reviews and smugly point out how annoyed you are about  poor grammar in the main article, usually followed by people getting annoyed with you ,"feeding the troll" and you again appearing pointing out -their- commentaries as well had poor grammar.

You're a grammar nazi, and I hope you and all your ilk will stop such comments, all over the internet.  (but yes, for such a big site I agree proofreading would be a good thing

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Hellidol
    Originally posted by RhoReave

When reading through your article I could almost not believe we played the same game. Character customization? Half the sllders did almost nothing. I could not change the basic face of the character for the life of me. But even worse - the classes are all cookie-cutter in the worst possible way. Rolling the dice for stats? No you didn't. Depending on the classes you play you pick between 2 or 3 prerolled options. Advancement in levels does not really give any options to customize characters either. The only choices you have is with feats and those have very little effect. (Not real D&D feats for those wondering)

Armor in the game ALL looks the same. Weapons? The classes I tried all had only ONE weapon choice, albeit the weapons get better stats as you level. I took the trickster rogue to lvl 30 (cap for beta) and only found daggers to use. NO other weapons.

IMHO, this game will be dead in a year unless they work hard at giving players more options. This is supposed to be D&D!

On the plus side - the fast combat was enjoyable. Zipping around with the rogue was a lot of fun.  I am just not sure it will keep anyone's attention for more than a couple of weeks. 

this is what i was afraid of, thanks for that sir. I will NOT be buying this game because of the limited options and it is F2P, i really really wanted this one to not be the typical F2P MMO that everyone else comes out with. Our only hope is ESO now.....

anyone who can compare the character customization of DnD with sliders to change the skins on a toon has never played DnD.

i say this as someone who is a big fan of Suzy's reviews for the most part.

glad some others here saw through this as well.

sadly the only game close to DnD is still DDO, but even that has become a bastardization and is so heavily instanced as to be exhausting.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Jeanne
    Originally posted by GreenLanternFan

Suzie, I love your articles here at MMORPG as I do those belonging to the other writers here as well, but for the love of God and all that is holy, MMORPG seriously needs to buck up the money and hire an editor already?!

Having to re-read sections of articles due to spelling and grammatical mistakes very much detracts from the article IMHO and make no mistake, this article had a few possible stumbling points for its reader(s) -- a couple of the errors are so blatant that they can even be picked up simply by copying and pasting your article in Word for goodness sakes.

In addition, I'd also like to add, that to some, errors can have a great website like this one looking a bit "Bush League".

As a writer myself, I understand that even the most skilled of us have their off days and that is precisely what editors/proofreaders are for.

So, tell your boss to stop being so damn cheap and hire a darn editor already!

I mean this with the utmost sincerity. I really enjoy this site; however, far too often when reading articles, I see a number of spelling and grammatical errors...it drives me batty.

Aside from the errors causing my rant, it was a very interesting article...can't wait to give the game a go myself.

....What are you on about ? I imagine most of us here read an exciting article (of someone excited by the game) and .....

Did I stop and starting to tear my hair out because of , grammar or "breaking the holy rules of article writing?"  There's one term they use for people like you , you guys appear in the commentary fields of nearly every online newspaper article , game reviews and smugly point out how annoyed you are about  poor grammar in the main article, usually followed by people getting annoyed with you ,"feeding the troll" and you again appearing pointing out -their- commentaries as well had poor grammar.

You're a grammar nazi, and I hope you and all your ilk will stop such comments, all over the internet.  (but yes, for such a big site I agree proofreading would be a good thing

I am certainly no Grammar Nazi!

Am I going to get upset over a spelling error here or the lack of a comma there? Hell no! However, you said it yourself (highlighted in green above)...

I'm not asking for the moon, here! I also do not want to hijack this thread and/or derail it from its purpose. Also, other than the mistakes, the article is a great read; but, like I pointed out above, some errors could easily have been corrected simply by creating or pasting the article in Word.

Is it really too much to ask that a professional website have adequate proofreading so that the content flows better?!

In addition, it's bad enough that we as gamers are often seen as being buffoons when it comes to the written word. Do we really need a popular, professional gaming site solidifying that?

I love this site, really I do, but if you go to any other popular site focused on any other topic, I promise you, you won't see nearly as many errors.

Your fail comment, failed.