Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoW - Next Gen Movement and Combat

bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

So I just tried a mmorpg that came out last year for the first time, hell it was Tera. It made me think of GW2, then WoW, TSW, Swtor, and all the rest that have been made. 

Now free swinging a big ol'axe, with what felt like momentum was pretty darn cool. I could get into that. What jarred me though was when I jumped, I fell back to the ground with a grunt, like a rock, or better yet, like I had magnets on my feet. That's when I thought omg (literally), "It's just like this in TSW, GW2, Swtor, WoW, all of them." 

I was tied to the ground again. Restricted in my movement. No diaganal jumps, and dives. The Z axis was not in play, only right left, forward backward. It dawned on me that the genre hasn't seen they degree of  free movement that AoW has. 

You know, I shouldn't have put combat in the title because I didn't really want to discuss the merit of it. Movent and combat go hand and hand though, and without question the movement in AoW is next gen, which leads to combat situations the genre hasn't seen before.

edit- I wanted to say in there somewhere, that in CB1, basic flying skills were given in the tutorial. For some reason they took them out in CB2 , you have to buy them or get a drop for the the first dungeon. They're only 5-10 silver which can be made in the first couple days of play, but still I hope they reconsider and just put them back in with tutorial. People need to get their hands on them as soon as possible.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Comments

• DarkfallFanaticDarkfallFanatic Member Posts: 96

I completely agree with you. AoW's free movement is next gen and unparalleled, it should be the new standard for any future sandbox MMO. 

What this movement does is create dynamic usage of the enviroment in combat, which brings a whole new layer of strategy. It also feels fluid and look great. Walking on fking water? Only Age of Wushu could have pulled this off so beautifully. 

I just really wish some skills were more accessible. For example half fo the cool ones (gecko) I have to get from random encounters that nobody knows how to do, and the other half are practically nonexistant like dragon wheel. 

EDIT: Might I add an experience I had today while patrolling my school

http://i.imgur.com/ZFX8n2n.jpg

So I scout around and find a damn Tangmen spy. Despite the fact that he was around 4-5 levels below me, he managed to escape me simply by outmaneovuring me in freeform runing and flying around, and ultimately outplayed me using the environment. This dude knew exactly how to jump off the wall onto a branch and baited me and i fell for it. Boom I get hit by a faint dart and the bastard gets away. Well done sir. 

• StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987

It's definitely the flying part of movement that makes it special (some animations and their sounds are really cool too) as you pointed out. In that regard it's a superb goal to have when starting a game and not having any flying skills. Making it a "quest" to learn to fly, run up walls and walk on water.

On the other hand the lack of those skills at start does make the somewhat subaverage ground combat (maybe just not polished yet) more obvious.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Favorite thing about this game is the ability to jump, fly, and climb over pretty much any obstacle. I guess that's what you get when you're from China and not wearing all this heavy plate and chain armor :)
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

One question, is the UI moddable?  That was the only thing I found ugly and cluttered. And unintuitive. Rest was pretty cool, apart from the awful translation which is hopefully work in progress. I like that it feels like RPG again, not just some arcade run-in-circles zerg like GW2.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by FromHell

One question, is the UI moddable?  That was the only thing I found ugly and cluttered. And unintuitive. Rest was pretty cool, apart from the awful translation which is hopefully work in progress. I like that it feels like RPG again, not just some arcade run-in-circles zerg like GW2.

It's not moddable but a new UI is in the works and will hopefully be patched in soon. It will be more adapted to latin letters and supposedly it will accommodate better translations as well.

• AresPLAresPL Member UncommonPosts: 292
    You will be able to move skillbars 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i love this game. The most authentic chinese mmo ive played so far and im also totally in love with the music (specially the song that starts when i enter Suzhou city. Damn i repeat that song a million times before loging out. I hope they offer a full soundtrack album after launch because not all the songs are on youtube D:

Also, i dont know if thats because my character is too sexy, but i tend to get kidnapped a lot when im offline.... so my character cant make good cash if sold to the boat of love image i think...

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Biskop

It's not moddable but a new UI is in the works and will hopefully be patched in soon. It will be more adapted to latin letters and supposedly it will accommodate better translations as well.

Well that is good news. Will check it out again when that is done.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Biskop

Any idea when this "soon" is. I read the MMORPG news article on it yesterday and it read that it's already implemented. Was pretty disappointed when I fired up the game when I got home and saw that nothing had changed.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by rojo6934

i love this game. The most authentic chinese mmo ive played so far and im also totally in love with the music (specially the song that starts when i enter Suzhou city. Damn i repeat that song a million times before loging out. I hope they offer a full soundtrack album after launch because not all the songs are on youtube D:

Also, i dont know if thats because my character is too sexy, but i tend to get kidnapped a lot when im offline.... so my character cant make good cash if sold to the boat of love image i think...

The music is beautiful. 100's of hours played, and I haven't thought about turning it off. The way it flows with the scene and even situation. Suzhou is my favorite as well. Chengdu is so good too. The folly in general is top notch. 

There was a old playstation game called K1 Kickboxing I used to play in the 90's. The sound was done so good that sometimes  I could close my eyes and fight. I wanna try that in AoA, but I get my but kicked so much with my eyes open as it is lol.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    My experience was that the music is superb, but environmental sounds do not have very good positioning and/or dampening. This is especially evident near waterfalls, which suddenly boom and then disappear when you go far enough.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by tom_gore
    My experience was that the music is superb, but environmental sounds do not have very good positioning and/or dampening. This is especially evident near waterfalls, which suddenly boom and then disappear when you go far enough.

Good point waterfalls will boom lol. They don't seem to fade in correctly in some places. I'll put that down on my list of 4 bugs.

As far as the foot steeps though when alt-tabbed I can hear someoneones position, 11:00, 4:00 etc. 

• GrayKodiakGrayKodiak Member CommonPosts: 576
    I went back to TSW and felt like a lumbering brick after playing age of wushu, I hope it hasn't ruined me for more traditional landscaped mmo's, even though the running speed is similar in both games you just feel "faster" in wushu because of the jump mechanics.