Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is with all of this doom suddenly? The game is awesome!

2»

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

What I've learned from reading this thread is that if someone agrees with you, then it's a fact and if someone disagrees with you, then it's an opinion.

I haven't had the time to try this game yet, but the amount of hate threads that exist for it are pushing me towards the "don't bother" camp.

That applies to the whole of mmorpg.com.

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I would like to take this time to welcome the OP to MMORPG. Go to any forum, read the madness that is this site. No game is safe and I dont believe there is a single forum here that does not have more people complaining about people complaining about their game and acting like its 100% perfect with no room for improvement SO SHUT UP AND GO AWAY YOU HATER TROLL POOPYHEAD!

sorry, got carried away there for a second.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Superchieftian

What is with all of these threads and posts about how GW2 has no endgame or content and it isn't that good? This is hands down the best MMO in a long time. 

It has all the perfect elements to it:

1. A living world filled with unique events that never get boring. 
    2. An awesome story filed with lore and adventure.
    3. All the crafting that a person could ever do.
    4. Tons of content with dungeons and getting the right looks for your character.
    5. An epic PVP system in WvW that never stops and there is always something to do.
    6. No gear gating so you can always do any content.
    People just need to relax and take their time in this game. There is so much to see and so much to do. They will add more content in the future and it will all be free (minus the expansions). 

Just enjoy the game! :D

Well, glad you like the game.  You have a very positive opinion of the game there.  I don't hate GW2, I played for about 3 weeks and for me it just got boring.  It didn't seem like the events were unique and it just wasn't the game for me.

in the end it really comes down to this.  Do you like it and are you having fun?  If yes, then who cares what anyone on this or any other site think.  Play and have fun.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

What is with all of these threads and posts about how GW2 has no endgame or content and it isn't that good? This is hands down the best MMO in a long time. 

4. Tons of content with dungeons and getting the right looks for your character.
    5. An epic PVP system in WvW that never stops and there is always something to do.
    People just need to relax and take their time in this game. There is so much to see and so much to do. They will add more content in the future and it will all be free (minus the expansions). 

It's not sudden, but I wouldn't worry to much. Its basically a handful of people making the same posts and the same threads over and over. It's not perfect but it probably is the best MMO that has launched in a long while. An exceptional ammount of polish, quality, and content for a new MMO at launch and has been improving and growing since. Well received by gamers and critics. 

My advice is to ignore the few "haters" that remain. They are slowly realizing they are in the minority and the opinions they are and were attempting to push really aren't shared by as many as they had thought or hoped. 

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

I accept your opinions, and these are mine:

1. The events are just quests with a slight alteration. They do, indeed, get boring after more than one time through them.

2. The story is absolute garbage for the most part. Your character always seems to act like a robot, and none of the supporting characters really feel "alive", either. It's all far too bland, and to be honest, I always wanna punch my own character in the face.

3. Crafting is one of the decent aspects of the game. Gain 5 levels, craft a suit of armor, some weapons, whatever, good to go for another 5 levels. It's got a pretty decent system, but it doesn't seem to have a lot of depth to it. This works fine for me, as I'm not a huge crafter in MMO's, but to someone who wants a deep crafting sustem, they'd best look elsewhere.

4. To be honest, none of this interests me, 'cause the rest of the game isn't overly exciting.

5. I've always spent more time running around then being ganked in WvW, than actually participating in any meaningful PvP. But the few times that I have, you're right, it was not bad. But after a hour or so, I get sick of it and just wanna head back to PvE. It's really not all that exciting, and i feel no major draw to actually participating in it.

6. This is a positive aspect, I suppose. I don't necessarily mind gear gating because it gives me something to shoot for and look forward to, but I guess it's really not that big of a deal.

• tollboothtollbooth Member CommonPosts: 298
    Largest complaint I have with GW2 was just how easy the game was.  It wasn't even fun because nothing was pushing me to try harder.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by NBlitz
    Originally posted by Hrimnir

What is with all of these threads and posts about how GW2 has no endgame or content and it isn't that good? This is hands down the lamest MMO in a long time. 

1. A deceptively static world filled with unique events that get boring after less than a week. 
    2. A strained, poorly thought out story filled with facepalms and a multitude of annoying cutscenes.
    3. All the crafting that a person could ever do in two to three hours.
    4. Tons of content with dungeons and getting the right looks for your character which is accomplished in one to two weeks of casual play.
    5. A reaching to be epic but falling short PVP system in WvW that never stops making you want to end your life, and there is always something to do as long as you like keep swapping.
    6. No gear gating so you can always do any content, not that you would want to redo it.

Here i fixed it for you.

Don't you mean deceptively dynamic?

Like: the pool is deceptively shallow. I.e. the pool is shallow, despite its appearance.

Yeah i guess you would be right.  I guess i was going for it was actually static, but deceptively so, i.e, there were elements that distracted you from how static it actually is.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Um... well I have to disagre with the 'best mmo in a long time' deal as I personally feel its actually quite lack luster and over-rated.

None the less, people knew getting into GW2 that they wanted no 'end game' so in terms of that they really were silly to expect much on that side. Still, I do see why they are upset, primarily in the pvp end which it seems really has been lack luster for a pvp focused experience. None the less, doom and gloom is the way of virtually all games. 

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Its a popular game. Many won't like it for that simple reason. The game is great, deep and has greatpotential yet its not perfect an has tons of room to grow.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by NBlitz

What is with all of these threads and posts about how GW2 has no endgame or content and it isn't that good? This is hands down the lamest MMO in a long time. 

1. A deceptively static world filled with unique events that get boring after less than a week. 
    2. A strained, poorly thought out story filled with facepalms and a multitude of annoying cutscenes.
    3. All the crafting that a person could ever do in two to three hours.
    4. Tons of content with dungeons and getting the right looks for your character which is accomplished in one to two weeks of casual play.
    5. A reaching to be epic but falling short PVP system in WvW that never stops making you want to end your life, and there is always something to do as long as you like keep swapping.
    6. No gear gating so you can always do any content, not that you would want to redo it.

Here i fixed it for you.

Don't you mean deceptively dynamic?

Like: the pool is deceptively shallow. I.e. the pool is shallow, despite its appearance.

Yeah i guess you would be right.  I guess i was going for it was actually static, but deceptively so, i.e, there were elements that distracted you from how static it actually is.

Tha F. I'd highly recommend looking up what the words 'static' and 'dynamic' actually mean.

By any english definition of the word 'dynamic', especially as it applies to electronics / programs, GW2's events are indeed dynamic. Whether or not GW2's events fit your own personal definition of the word is more of a personal issue, than one with the game.

It's long been proven that all programmable actions within a videogame fall into at least one of 5 categories. Doesn't matter how complex a system is, it will always fall into those 5 categories. In the case of GW2, the actions of the events aren't any different than that of any other video game, but the outcome of each event (and the number of people doing it) directly effect what happens next. The only other game currently out, to do anything close to that would be Rift, which does it on a MUCH smaller / simpler scale, in a way that has no real bearing on the game.

To this day, I can walk around the world in GW2 and not know what event I'm going to stumble upon today. I still end up bumping into events I've never seen before. Even some of the more scheduled events (dragons) can't be specifically timed, because it changes. Best people can do is guestimate the approximate time a dragon's going to spawn, and update the timer based on when it actually does. There's been times when the timers have even been completely wrong.

I know some people mistook the concept of 'dynamic' for meaning 'always different, all the time'. That's not what that word means, nor how games work. Even games as open as Minecraft are repetative. That's just the nature of videogames (and really, ANY program).

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

So OP, how long have you been playing?

My money's on less than a month and at that point, I also thought GW2 was the best MMO evah.

Now I think it's full of wasted potential, that may yet turn into a superb game. They just need to add more player-driven content.

Alas, reading their plans for 2013 they're opted for the gear treadmill instead. Such a shame.

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476

its not perfect - but by far the best mmo in years, and for years. Doom&Gloom? Are you new to the internet? If theyd sell 100 Million copies a day, the forums would see it to be dying ;)

(altough i must say that public opinion were and is quite overwhelming positive on GW2, as with all very succesfull games, most people are playing instead of posting sunshine-threads)

• DjildjameshDjildjamesh Member UncommonPosts: 406
    Originally posted by Robokapp

What is with all of these threads and posts about how GW2 has no endgame or content and it isn't that good? This is hands down the best MMO in a long time. Opinion.

1. A living world filled with unique events that never get boring. Opinion
    2. An awesome story filed with lore and adventure. Opinion.
    3. All the crafting that a person could ever do. Unknown by me. perhaps fact.
    4. Tons of content with dungeons and getting the right looks for your character. Opinion.
    5. An epic PVP system in WvW that never stops and there is always something to do. Opinion. flaw: repetitiveness.
    6. No gear gating so you can always do any content. Fact. but does not support main argument.
    People just need to relax and take their time in this game. There is so much to see and so much to do. They will add more content in the future and it will all be free (minus the expansions). Opinion

Bloody hell.... stop this bullcrap about opinions.

People talk on public forums to state their opinion.... there is no need for you to say that his statements are opinions ...

PS: people abuse ''IMO'' to the point of me facedesking aswell.... IMO ... -_-

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Leucent

See, thing is, your opinion, which it is an opinion, is the complete opposite of how I feel about GW2. Non living world that have the same static, boring events. The story quests, meh, boring as well. Crafting who cares, for me anyways. Not much content at all, as the game feel like 1 big bore to me. PvP is far from epic IMO.  As I said it s just that an opinion, others are not quite like yours, hence the end game sucks posts about GW2, which I tend to agree with.

And as usual is the truth somewhere in between.

GW2 is a well made game and will do fine, but its have it issues like any other game. Some of those issues will get fixed and others are stuff we have to live with if we want to play it.

As for living world that isnt really true but it still feels more living than any other themepark I played (which of course isnt that impressive, it never been themeparks strong side) and it do have potentials.

The story do indeed have weaks points, many in the case of some classes and races but it also have some really great things, like when my order of whisper agent got into a drinking contest while a buddy that hanged along had to cheer on me (with weird mechanics for it all).

The crafting doesnt really feel that impressive to me either, I have maxed out or just under maxed out 6 of the crafts but I feel like they could have med options for us to design our own stuff a little more, like customizing looks on armor and weapons for example, or naming food recepies.

I find the PvP really fun though, if somewhat zergy in WvWvW but I am not sure how massive PvP could feel different.

I think GW2 will be one of the game that do fine in the future, if they can expand the game even half as much as the first game we will be in for a treat for the next few years but like the first game it is something I will play with breaks for a few months in, while I play other stuff or take summer gaming breaks and so on. 

I played the first game on and off for about 5 years. :)

• AzzatakyAzzataky Member UncommonPosts: 208

Well, no. I'm a big fan of Guild Wars 1 so I gave a big hope to GW 2.

So, here I go:

1. Not really. Only part of that world which seems living might be towns and map with centaurs. Otherwise if you do these "events" (just different name for quests really) again, you know what is going to happen. So its repetitive as in any other MMO.

2. Well, story was kinda fun till I got myself to a quest which was bugged and I had to wait like a month for it to be fixed.

3. Crafting is fun thats true, unless people use guides, which mostly they do, with guides everything gets boring. Yea I know, some people just dont get it.

4. Tons of content? You mean most people going AC or CoF because thats the fastest way to get gear and after that almost everyone who does dungeons goes to Fractals to grind couple same minidungeons which are supposed to get harder and harder which is done just by more mobs and more hitpoints etc. Not different spells (except agony which I'm not sure if I even should count)

5. Well... no. :D WvW is just huge dissapointment. As many people said about WvW before me, it has no meaning except grind. Yes, you get couple % as a bonus to somethin, thats all. Why they didn't do something like castles in Lineage 2 or so?

6. So far kinda true, but if they would do possible to view another people's armor you be sure you need exotic. And for fractals.. you know how it works.

Don't take me wrong, I play this game from time to time but most fun to me is towns in there. They look EPIC, the rest of the world, not so much. So I was even thinking to spend whole leveling in first Asura map, which is just most interesting of em all. :D

And Karkas? Giant vagina where people basicly go only for 3 reasons, complete map, rich ori or karka shells.

I played Ragnarok online and Lineage 2 also with other MMOs, but I'm mentioning those two because they have high grind level. Tho the world looked epic, if you teamed up it was damn fun. In GW 2 you don't need to team up. You just go to an event, someone there? Cool, just run around with them not talking at all and after just run away. And SPvP? Damned, which game is so bad that you need to have bunker kinda crap in there? :D

Played: Lineage 2,Guild Wars 1 and 2, Age of Conan, Ragnarok Online, LOTRO, World of Warcraft, League of Legends, EvE online
    Tried: KAL Online, Face of Mankind, ROSE online
    Playing: CS:GO

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

every person have thier opinion

but saying that game is crap and suck and should be closed down becouse you didnt liked it

is not an opinion its some bullcrap from haters that cant stand the game is doing well and have lots of players playing

• timtracktimtrack Member UncommonPosts: 541
    Gamer expectations: "This game is not eutopia-perfection tailored for my personal needs - therefore it sucks more then global warming and war".
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Was completed bored out of my mind by level 30.  Games like TSW and SWtOR provide a much better leveling experience.
    1. An awesome story filed with lore and adventure.
    The story sucked dude, what are you about here?  The main story was juvenile and cliche and the generic heart quests had absolutely no story what-so-ever.
    1. All the crafting that a person could ever do.
    Wut?
    1. Tons of content with dungeons and getting the right looks for your character.
    They did good with looks.  Their content is nothing special and on par with the average MMO, and comes up pretty short compared to the top ones.
    1. An epic PVP system in WvW that never stops and there is always something to do.
    Almost, WvW is fun but unfullfilling.  Their "BGs" have tons of potential, unfortunately they blew it by not putting in a proper ELO & spectator system, amongst other things.
    1. No gear gating so you can always do any content.
    Good luck with that.  I hope you have some friends who aren't retarded, because pugging the harder dungeons is not going to be fun regardless of gear.  The non-trinity system does not make for particularly good dungeoning.