Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Warcraft: Battle Chest, Cataclysm & MoP On Sale

2»

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by grapevine
    Originally posted by Precusor Originally posted by Zetsuei    
    Why would a company with 9.6 Million subs ever go F2P? Your comparison is really bad. One game is thriving and going on strong as ever, whereas the other is desperate and went F2P as a last ditch effort to keep a game alive.
    Most of the EU servers are dead not sure about the U.S..    So where are those 9.5 million subs?    Asia?

Simply not true, but something like 60% of the subs are in Asia.

I believe EU and NA, are about even.  Although leaning towards more EU players.

WoW going f2p would make no financial reason.  

Really? Both arguing with made up facts?

We dont know the regional breakdown of subs so its always speculation.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Originally posted by msaurondon

So.....It is $35.00 to play MOP?

Would it not just be smarter to not have to purchase the keys to Vanilla, BC, WoLK, Cata and Mop just to play?

Activision/Blizzard won't learn that lesson.  $35 to play MOP and you don't need to have previous keys.  That would be the same as the requirement they are putting out now, they can reduce cost in generating those legacy packages and just offer the one package.

I feel sorry for the poor soul that believes they will need to install all those disks.

Once yo ustart haiving several expansions you need to look at doing this....Some people are more than just the last 2 expansions behind.......If you really want to get people back into WoW then offer everything for 20 dollars...They still get the monthly from these people to make up for it.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by orbitxo

They should have gone F2P with Panderas...I just satrted in TERA iam having a blast and i actually purchased stuff from their shop so...-cudos to them for going F2P!!! Blizz can learn from its younger rivals.

that ad looks embarasing and dated!

Tera went free to play as a last ditch effort due to them not getting the subs to sustain the game.  WoW doesn't have that problem and therefore doesn't need to offer a pay to win scheme for their players.

• AzrileAzrile Member Posts: 2,582

WOW made like a billion dollars last quarter.  Do you really think they are going to risk that going  f2p?

They also cannot give the box away unless they don´t give you a free month ( Gold farmers).  So would you rather pay $5 for the box and get a free month, or get the box free and start paying $15 right away.. 

It is a smart promotion, their stats probably show them that 99% of people who are playing regularly buy the expansion in the first 3 months...  so now it is just about tempting older players and new players.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

Highly reccommend this if you're looking to burn a few hours.

Sure, it is WoW and it is pandas but dismissing it on those reasons means you're cutting yourself out of what you might really enjoy. I never let preconceptions control what I play personally.

The expansion is probably the best one since TBC and has a pretty serious tone to it - much to my surprise really.

Yeah, WoW gets a bad rep but it is still a solid game. I usually return for a few months at each expansion to run the content dry then fall off again but at least it gives me a few hundred hours of entertainment.

Worth checking out the free trial and potentially taking advantage of this deal.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823

WoW by itself made around $1 billion in revenue in 2012.

All of Asia for every game Activision Blizzard puts out made $477 million.

I havent played WoW in a couple months so unless monthly subscriptions went up to $50 the split between NA + EU to Asia is pretty even.

Also, WoW Asia has been losing a lot of ground to new releases like Blade and Soul and most of the 400,000 WoW lost to go down to 9.6 million was in Asia.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I hope WoW never goes F2P, it keeps people like this out of the game...Thank you blizzard, and that's a good deal...$35 to play a game when everything else is $60-70 now days...If the rumors are true, PS4 games will be download only (think PSP GO...what a horrible failure that was, but Sony never learns from thier many failures lol), and they will cost more than games for the PS3...

Edit: I just wish I could buy an upgrade to add more space to my friendlist hehe
  • AvanahAvanah Member RarePosts: 1,615
    Originally posted by Arcona
    why dont they just give battlechest for free

They should just let the game die out and work on their future project. :)

"My Fantasy is having two men at once...

One Cooking and One Cleaning!"

---------------------------

"A good man can make you feel sexy,

strong and able to take on the whole world...

oh sorry...that's wine...wine does that..."

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

i actually bought my MoP on sale last december :3

because i couldnt resist not buying it hahahaah xD

i too buy the xpac and play it dry for a few good months... and hey, they are normally the best playing hours i have.

long live wow!.. 

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Torkaz
    Lol I love how some people complain when stuff is cheaper... Do you really want to pay more?

at this point MoP should be the only cost considering  they are the last game charging a monthly and not firing people en masse. oh wait i take that back they are firing people....

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Ivylena
    Originally posted by Arcona
    why dont they just give battlechest for free

They should just let the game die out and work on their future project. :)

wonder if they learned any lessons from Error 37 and the always-online-solo-game that lost 60% of it's players due to loot DR

• MaxJacMaxJac Member Posts: 185
    I may pick up MoP. I haven't had a subscription since TBC, but I got the next two expansions free when they had the scrolls of ressurection. Is it possible to level a panda in just panda territory or will I still be visiting old scenery (albeit with cata changes)?
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by msaurondon

So.....It is $35.00 to play MOP?

Would it not just be smarter to not have to purchase the keys to Vanilla, BC, WoLK, Cata and Mop just to play?

Activision/Blizzard won't learn that lesson.  $35 to play MOP and you don't need to have previous keys.  That would be the same as the requirement they are putting out now, they can reduce cost in generating those legacy packages and just offer the one package.

I feel sorry for the poor soul that believes they will need to install all those disks.

They probably are still making enough money out of the boxes (Battlechest and Cata). You know what is funny? That I can buy the battlechest, cata and MOP off amazon for the same price as when they are on sale on Blizzard's website. So basically this sale is pointless at least here in the UK as Amazon have been offering the battlechest, cata and MOP for about 20-25 pounds for ages now, same as this sale. The only benefit is that you get to play right away if you want to and you don't have to wait for the mail to arrive :)

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• muthaxmuthax Member UncommonPosts: 703
    Originally posted by Precusor
    Originally posted by Zetsuei

Why would a company with 9.6 Million subs ever go F2P? Your comparison is really bad. One game is thriving and going on strong as ever, whereas the other is desperate and went F2P as a last ditch effort to keep a game alive.

Most of the EU servers are dead not sure about the U.S.. 

So where are those 9.5 million subs? 

Asia?

Yes

No one knows for sure (Blizzard is smart enough not to reveal the details) but only 2-3 millions are probably in NA and EU (and that includes countries that pay less, like Brazil or Russia)

The rest is in Asia where if you buy one hour of play time, you are counted as 'player'.

Having said that, WoW popularity is only based on the principle that if a lot of players play it, must be very good!

Of course, that is a false assumption, but going F2P or merging the ghost town servers will break that aura of invincibility and start the quick decline in subs

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    sweet deal for anyone who has been away for a while and have had their fill of GW2.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    Originally posted by Zetsuei
    Originally posted by orbitxo

They should have gone F2P with Panderas...I just satrted in TERA iam having a blast and i actually purchased stuff from their shop so...-cudos to them for going F2P!!! Blizz can learn from its younger rivals.

that ad looks embarasing and dated!

obviously you dont know how a f2p model works- comment after you know the facts about them.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Obviously, right after I buy MoP it goes on sale...

Smile

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128
    People still play WoW?  Huh...
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by uidCaustic

9,600,000 do. Probably not as many as YOUR MMO, but WoW is still scraping by...

• tiddytiddy Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by Psychow

Does it feel like it has that many players?

I played WoW for a month a year ago. One month is all I could stand of the game. I leveled to 70 and I think I came across 5 peeps in all my time leveling in all the zones. I played on an EU  server. Can't remember which.

The main city had, like a couple hundred folks ideling at prime time and thats about as crowded as it got. The que times for the dungeon finder were atrocious. The que times for the PvP were'nt any better and The ques would stop popping after midnight EU time so ya.....idk  

The game DID NOT feel like it had anywhere near 10m players. Nothing even close to that number. Blizzard throws around these HUGE numbers. I feel like they're not  being entireley truthful. i'm not sure if that's the right word 'truthful' but ya the game does feel like its population is way overblown.

• bliss14bliss14 Member UncommonPosts: 595
    Originally posted by tiddy

I played WoW for a month a year ago. One month is all I could stand of the game. I leveled to 70 and I think I came across 5 peeps in all my time leveling in all the zones. I played on an EU  server. Can't remember which.

The main city had, like a couple hundred folks ideling at prime time and thats about as crowded as it got. The que times for the dungeon finder were atrocious. The que times for the PvP were'nt any better and The ques would stop popping after midnight EU time so ya.....idk  

The game DID NOT feel like it had anywhere near 10m players. Nothing even close to that number. Blizzard throws around these HUGE numbers. I feel like they're not  being entireley truthful. i'm not sure if that's the right word 'truthful' but ya the game does feel like its population is way overblown.

Wait so you are saying queue times were atrocious?  Are you saying they were atrocious because you had to wait or not wait?  Because if you had to wait obviously there were alot of people in queue correct?  Besides all of that there are a ton of servers.  One sample doesn't really say much.  This coming from a guy (me) that doesn't care for WoW any longer. Pre cata.

• tiddytiddy Member Posts: 23
    Originally posted by bliss14

Wait so you are saying queue times were atrocious?  Are you saying they were atrocious because you had to wait or not wait?  Because if you had to wait obviously there were alot of people in queue correct?  Besides all of that there are a ton of servers.  One sample doesn't really say much.  This coming from a guy (me) that doesn't care for WoW any longer. Pre cata.

The bigger a game's population the shorter the que times for dungeons and stuff.

With high pop games you constantly have new people joining the que for 5man+ instances so you have shorter que times. With low pop games its the same five or six people queing for a 5man over and over so you get longer que times.... I remember waiting hours for my dungeons and the PvP ques were just as bad.   Its not like its just the dungeons and the PvP ques that were bad. In one month of me lvling to 70 I hardly came across anyone out side the main city. 

I would really like to know whether people currently playing WoW feel like the game has 10m players. It didnt feel like it had anywehre near that number of players when I was playing it.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I would really like to know whether people currently playing WoW feel like the game has 10m players. It didnt feel like it had anywehre near that number of players when I was playing it.

It's probably already been said, but its not total players its:

Concurrent players / Number of servers globally.

edit nvm
    To be honest it probably works out.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development