Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good Combat, Decent Stories, Character Depth, and fun then why?

cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117

Do not more people play this game or talk about it? I dabbled with it for awhile however couldnt get my friends to even try. When most of them enjoyed CoX somewhat.

I am seeing they have even added vehicles and vehicle combat and customization now to the game. I am playing both TERA and GW2 right now. I have a year subscription to TERA.. but I think the combat in champions was in all honesty just as action oriented and fun as TERA and way more depth..

So to any of you that have tried it lately. Hows this game doing. Because we sure are not hearing much about it. I think the last post before mine was back in December.

Comments

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80
    Wow, Champions Online... did they finally fix the bug with invisible boxes upon pickup? Please tell me they did...
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Lack of Content and Balance were the main issues many had.
  • AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

Do not more people play this game or talk about it? I dabbled with it for awhile however couldnt get my friends to even try. When most of them enjoyed CoX somewhat.

I am seeing they have even added vehicles and vehicle combat and customization now to the game. I am playing both TERA and GW2 right now. I have a year subscription to TERA.. but I think the combat in champions was in all honesty just as action oriented and fun as TERA and way more depth..

So to any of you that have tried it lately. Hows this game doing. Because we sure are not hearing much about it. I think the last post before mine was back in December.

This game had a lot of problems when it launched and for many months post launch.  To say it was an unfinished mess would probably be a compliment in all honesty.  Having said that, I've heard the game has improved a great deal since that time but I'm not sure it will ever gain back some of the people it lost at launch or overcome the stigma that it is a poor game.  /shrug

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    But it looks like they have added ALOT of content since launch... More powersets and now vehicles. So does anyone around here actually play currently? If so hows the game doing? Because i remember some fun times with my Superstrength invuln hero. I remember Aion talking about flight and combat and it their version didnt compare to Champions.
    I prefer DCUO to be honest as it just seems a bit more polished as far as its combat system is concerned. But don't get me wrong, Champions Online can be fun as well. Just ignore all the bugs and issues that haven't been fixed in ages, if you can...
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Originally posted by FallguyArmy
    I prefer DCUO to be honest as it just seems a bit more polished as far as its combat system is concerned. But don't get me wrong, Champions Online can be fun as well. Just ignore all the bugs and issues that haven't been fixed in ages, if you can...

DCUO is a great idea for a console game. Could not stand it on the PC.

CO started out with a lot of promise in beta but about release it was way downhill.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

It's a shining example of what happens when a dev/publisher thinks you can launch now and fix it later. People leave and never come back and they tell their friends not to bother.

Once a game pulls this it never comes back.

Originally posted by Yizle

DCUO is a great idea for a console game. Could not stand it on the PC.

CO started out with a lot of promise in beta but about release it was way downhill.

I played DCUO on the PC with an Xbox 360 gamepad so it pretty much worked out very well for me. I'd imagine it's harder for people who are strictly keyboard and mouse, though I did try it once with that setup and it wasn't too bad either, so I dunno lol.

I played DCUO for a bit. The combat was fun, the story was good, but the character  advancement twas horrid. The power groups were way to limiting for a superhero game. It really irked me everytime I leveled and had to take some elemental based power that I did not envision my character having.
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

The game wasn't really pay to play worthy and the free to play conversion is to heavily and unnecessarily monetized. 

I don't mind paying for character slots and inventory space. I didn't blink an eye when buying cosmetics like costume pieces and such. But the archetype or pay setup keeps me from playing. 

A game like CO selling fluff will make you a ton of cash. The character creation is beyond pretty much any other game out there. The customization of your characters was second to none. I can't play any of my characters without subscribing though because I don't like any of the set archetypes. 

If freeform characters were allowed for free to play players I'd pick the game back up in a heart beat and start spending cash on cosmetics and fluff again. I've spent way to much on cosmetics and fluff in that game lol but I have no regrets because I've made a number of neat characters. 

My Favorite was Whacko Jacko - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsoMy_vnC6U

A Horror Movie Character I made for halloween. He had tunneling, a chainsaw, Chain attacks, claw attacks, and fire breath lol. He was perfect in every way and I don't have the heart to convert him to a free to play archatype. 

My Second Favorite was Tony. I don't have a picture of him or a video anymore and I can't log into him because he's another gold only character. He was Tony the Tiger, looked exactly like him after much work. He was a mix of sword and beast type attacks lol and had accrobatics. 

I would again play and pay for cosmetics in a heart beat if the monetization was relaxed a bit. Instead they get zero cash from me and my characters are forever unplayable. Won't delete them, won't convert them, and won't pay a monthly fee. 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

uh, yeah DCUO lacks powersets, that's it's big weakness to me.  I would have thought they would add more and make them DLC, but outside of maybe one, they haven't.

CO on the other hand, unless you pay, you don't get to choose anything but an archtype.  I will never play as long as that's the case.

Please stay on topic. I was not asking about payment t models, because I prefer full access when I play a game, we we talking gameplay. We have a game that's seems to be  adding  a lot of content and features but we don't hear much about it.

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Good question. Dunno the answer... I really like CO (left CoH for it back in the days, freeform is awesome), sometimes I log back and play a few days - I think last time was at the anniversary, I love Sapphire's performance :)

I blame maybe the lack of playtime personally, in my case... but why doesn't have it more attention by the others, I have no idea. It's a fun game, the freemium model is pretty forgiving, decent graphics, great movement skills, etc. Probably the less-known IP than STO's earns CO a smaller advertisment budget...

Please stay on topic. I was not asking about payment t models, because I prefer full access when I play a game, we we talking gameplay. We have a game that's seems to be  adding  a lot of content and features but we don't hear much about it.

I was on topic. You simply didn't like the answer. The business model is why many don't play and don't talk about it anymore. Its not really a game many see worth a monthly fee, but to really play you must pay a monthly fee. 

I'll clarify a bit I guess.

The main thing that sets CO apart from DCUO is the freeform character creation. Many want to make the character they want and CO allows that, but only if you pay monthly. The content isn't that great, it's fairly generic, but that was ok for many because it was just pretty damn cool to make whatever you wanted. Combat is decent, but again the game itself is pretty generic and mediocre. So a monthly fee is out for many, but they are still willing to pay for a lot of the cosmetics and of course new power sets and etc. 

Now, locking that freeform customization behind a pay wall you have taken the only real appeal the game has away and many would prefer to simply play DCUO since it does have better story and graphics and you are locked into iconic hero powers rather than the often times dull power sets you get in CO. 

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

It's really, really hard to come back from a bad launch.  The name of the game in the genre is "the next big thing" everyone's always looking forward to whats next, rarely to whats already out and getting fixed.

I could say the same thing about TSW, I love the game, one of my favorites in years, it had a bad launch, and, well, its funcom and they dont have much good will, if any left.  No matter what they do, they will never get the players they could have had.

• sylum69sylum69 Member UncommonPosts: 100
    Wow, Champions Online... did they finally fix the bug with invisible boxes upon pickup? Please tell me they did...

yes...how long it lasts, well...

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

I left because for the same reason I stopped playing CoH...I did not see ANY character depth.

To me it felt like I was being forced into a template superhero, not really able to create my own. If they had made a game not stuck in the "role" rut and freed up mixed powers, I would have felt more tied to my character instead of feeling forced to play what they wanted me to play.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Read the forum posts on the CO website to get a better idea about this game's problems. As far as vehicles are concerned, what Cryptic delivered versus what people asked for was way off and is a point of contention. Ultimately, it's a reoccuring theme with Cryptic, lot's of promises, little delivery, and what they do deliver is underwhelming...it's a shame really, because there are a few decent ideas in this game that just need some love.

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

I was on topic. You simply didn't like the answer. The business model is why many don't play and don't talk about it anymore. Its not really a game many see worth a monthly fee, but to really play you must pay a monthly fee. 

The main thing that sets CO apart from DCUO is the freeform character creation. Many want to make the character they want and CO allows that, but only if you pay monthly. The content isn't that great, it's fairly generic, but that was ok for many because it was just pretty damn cool to make whatever you wanted. Combat is decent, but again the game itself is pretty generic and mediocre. So a monthly fee is out for many, but they are still willing to pay for a lot of the cosmetics and of course new power sets and etc. 

Now, locking that freeform customization behind a pay wall you have taken the only real appeal the game has away and many would prefer to simply play DCUO since it does have better story and graphics and you are locked into iconic hero powers rather than the often times dull power sets you get in CO. 

Actually no you are hijacking the thread. I asked about content, new features, and  overall fun mixed with lack of buzz. No where did I ask about payment model. And to be blunt but truthful  I am really not interested in the opinions of people who want to freeload and then are not happy with the limitations that are placed on them when they do. 

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

No clue.  CO is one of my "hidden gem" games in which I come back every month or two for the new stuff.  Lack of advertisement I guess?

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

My issue with CO was --- for 1, no balance in sets.  This is something that will never be changed.. and quickly after launch they specifically said they would not be trying to balance the sets.

The other thing was simply that the powersets were way to similar, and you only needed 3 or 4 powers total, and you were given many many more.  In theory the cherry picking options would have been fun, if each power added to a very distinct build,  but this wasn't the case.  

Most powers just mimicked other powers from other sets, just with a different animation, and a slightly different effect, such as burning instead of knockback, etc.   Otherwise you either held the power to activate, or pressed it, and the most used powers were either the direct single target attacks, or the AOE attacks - and if you had one of each of those, and a heal and defensive power, you didn't really need much else.

The combat would quickly get repetitive after leveling a single character.  Whereas in DCUO, the combat was interesting, and though the power sets were limited, the combat was always varied and mostly balanced.  

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Actually no you are hijacking the thread. I asked about content, new features, and  overall fun mixed with lack of buzz. No where did I ask about payment model. And to be blunt but truthful  I am really not interested in the opinions of people who want to freeload and then are not happy with the limitations that are placed on them when they do. 

Well theres only 2 options really. 

1) Make the game into something that players want to pay for which would require a complete redesign. 

2) Enhance the free to play model to get people to play

If you had read anything I posted you'd notice I'm not looking to freeload. I'm more than willing to pay for the fluff I want, I simply do not view the game worth a subscription fee due to lack of quality, polish, and content. They've added content but it's still the same old bland generic setup. PvE is lackluster, PvP is unbalanced and lacks in polish, the aesthetics are an aquired taste and not overly appealing to most, the story is awful and way to cheesy even by comic book standards. This isn't even aknowledging the fact that they don't really listen to their player base. Not to mention the fact that the game is pay to win in its current state. 

Simply put, the game isn't as good to most as it is to you. There is a very small niche that actually finds it worth what they are asking hence why you are here asking why it isn't being discussed or played. 

To compound the issue the free to play conversion which should have drawn in many has had the opposite effect due to how the business model has been setup. Again the evidence in this is the lack of players and the lack of discussion. 

So... since you want more to play and discuss the game which would you prefer? A redesign of the game or changes made to the current business model? It requires one or the other. 

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    DCUO has added lots of power sets wth are you guys talking about . They have Earth, Electricity, and light all added as DLCs with other content and costumes. They do not even limit the power sets except the DLC ones to free to play players , paying subs get everything for free and all the content or you can spend station cash and unlock all the added power sets. Champions Online may have more costumes but lets be real its a free to play ripoff for anyone wanting to play it , it charges for power sets except a couple and most of the good costumes are completely locked.  I couldnt stand the boring gameplay , it was all tab targeted mess and did not fit into a super hero game IMO. I much prefer the old console arcade style combat when i play super hero games. But then again i thought COX was a POS and champions was better than that.
    Well it's obvious this thread has been trolled and hijacked. To the few people who actually attemptted to keep it on the topic of  fun gameplay features and content and add their opinions on those original topics I thank you. However I'm done with the topic .
    Well it's obvious this thread has been trolled and hijacked. To the few people who actually attemptted to keep it on the topic of  fun gameplay features and content and add their opinions on those original topics I thank you. However I'm done with the topic .

What answers are you looking for?

Dude, people's answers are honest if unoriginal. I'm sorry if you think payment structure is not relevant to your topic but you're wrong. A lot of people think the free to play option is detrimental to the community and produce subpar content thus ignoring the game completely.

Also, a lot of people think DCUO is flat out better.

Again, what answers are you looking for?