Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I'm part of a small group..

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

For me the game just lacks in epicness. It's a decent game and well deserving of the new business model but I quit playing it eventually. There just wasn't a pull to log back in. The stories and quests are good, they just don't grab me and pull me in. The combat is good, but it just doesn't get my adrenaline going. The world and lore are good and a nice change of pace, but it just doesn't make me want to explore it. I log in, play for a bit and go "Hey that was neat" but nothing beyond that. 

Theres nothing wrong with the game, it really is a good game, there just isn't anything epic about it. 

Thats the problem for me at least. I like it, I'm just not really compelled to log in often and not really a game I run to my friends with and try and get them to play. 

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

I really love the game, But there are a couple of things that i have issues with:

The god damn equipment manager, I mean my god i reported that back in 0.7 that the thing is still Toast and im still raging.

It's not really a world, Its a set of playfields. If the game was seemless it would be so much better even tho the system as it is now works.

Raid or Die: That's what it really comes down to in the end, Negated are your choices along the way its the final destination along with pvp.

Also, We could of had some great character builds with the skill wheel but we dont because the content is designed with a very narrow set of skills in mind.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

Honestly, I don't think you're alone OP.

However, I think the problem w/ TSW is that it's a really solid game, but a HORRIBLE MMO. Many people enjoyed the investigative / story elements of the game. As well as enjoyed (briefly) the skill-wheel and dungeons the game provided.

However, as with all games, the issues arrise once you get down to the games mechanics. The combat, by most accounts (my own included), is pretty horrendous. It's clunky, unresponsive, and is poorly utilized within the game (there are quite a number of skills that would be awesome if the game would encorperate more varied skillsets / AI amongst it's monsters.

The PvP is pretty awful. Ques are bad, 3faction pvp devolved into base trading a long time ago. They allow people to Q up as tank / healer / dps, but a lot of people exploit this feature to get faster ques, then switch back to dps once inside.

The game basically, at it's core, is another dungeon-grinding gear progression game. Which sucks, because it has some really nice ideas, and a VERY interesting setting. Kind of a missed opportunity imho.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I like games with world class faction conflict.This game seemed made for it...yet its rarely mentioned as a feature.

I love to craft. Does the game even have crafting ?

• SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231

I've been think of returning to the game, but last time I played around the release date I ran some end-game instances and people were elitist as fuck. The problem with this is that I'm not going to sit on some forum and copy the lastest cookicutter build in a game that's all about customizing because I happend to not meet their standard on some fucking combat parser or w/e they are using.

And neither am I going to sit on youtube and study the boss patterns before hand spoiling the whole experience because a bunch of assholes want to finish the instance in a couple of seconds.

I would return if I had enough friends playing it but so far theres like one friend interested.

I love the atmosphere and the skill building, the back story and the characters in the world but the rest really isn't very appealing.

• DraxonflyDraxonfly Member UncommonPosts: 126

I find the game is to much of a chore to play..  The game is more frustrating then fun to me... 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Talonsin

For me, the combat just sucks.  I basically stand there in one spot and click on attacks and the animations are just not very good.  I dont even feel like I'm doing anything.

Same.  I mean, combat is the main reason I play these games.  I want to feel like I'm having a fight, not just generating number clouds (hence why most of my characters are melee in MMOs), and even before I played TSW, I saw videos of the combat and it didn't look like attacks really connected or even had good sound collision sound effects.  I thought it was just because the game wasn't finished, but I experienced the same disappointment in-game.  Apart from that, the theme didn't really interest me, but I'd definitely like to see more games that aren't fantasy.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Shadanwolf

I like games with world class faction conflict.This game seemed made for it...yet its rarely mentioned as a feature.

I love to craft. Does the game even have crafting ?

More class conflict coming in the PvP game -- open world flagged PvP is in the works.

Yes, there's crafting -- it's an pattern assembly system:

http://www.endgameguides.com/TSW/Crafting

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Sideras

I've been think of returning to the game, but last time I played around the release date I ran some end-game instances and people were elitist as fuck. The problem with this is that I'm not going to sit on some forum and copy the lastest cookicutter build in a game that's all about customizing because I happend to not meet their standard on some fucking combat parser or w/e they are using.

And neither am I going to sit on youtube and study the boss patterns before hand spoiling the whole experience because a bunch of assholes want to finish the instance in a couple of seconds.

I would return if I had enough friends playing it but so far theres like one friend interested.

I love the atmosphere and the skill building, the back story and the characters in the world but the rest really isn't very appealing.

You might want to check out the cabals or some of the newbie nightmare groups starting up.  Agartha is pretty much where all the leets hang out, but the other groups are much more casual about it:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62768

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63415

• eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60

I tried the game early on, so my opinion might be a bit skewed.  The theme and questing were awesome.  I love the horror feel.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of things that just killed the game for me.  One, the animations.  I don't feel like I'm part of the world; it just makes everything look silly.  Not that I want the game too serious, but there are other ways to lighten up the game than the part you have to look at all the time.

The other thing is the skill wheel.  When I first checked it out, it looked really awesome.  Then I realized that there are certain skills that are kind of softly forced to be used together.  I don't remember everything, but, for instance, I really only like playing in melee combat in most games.  I also thought the life drain skills looked cool.  Then I realized you could only use them with an assault rifle which I have no interest in using.  Might seem small, but stuff like that kills it for me.

If it weren't for these things, I'd definitely play.  The genre is awesome.  I really hope this game stays strong and continues with updates.  I'd like to get back to it at some point, but once my issues have been resolved.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i enjoyed the game but after about two weeks playing it and getting past the easier areas like kingsmouth and savage coast blue mountain etc , it gets tiresome switching builds out every other quest to do transilvania . Skill synergy just wasnt fun to me , it felt lacking and i got sick of having to build skill point after skill point in other weapons i had no intention of ever playing just to make a good build for myself . Like i HATED assult rifle and claws imo but you need some passives for survival builds etc. That with the lack of polish on animations just makes me not enjoy the game at all.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    i think the skill wheel is a good idea but i hated having to grind AP to spend buying skills I don't want and will never use just to get to that one skill i do want. Would've been better if they did away with prereq's.
    Also i HATED the chat system. from chat outages to having to hack game files to have decent font size or chat channel text coloring.
    I also found a lot of the community to be just downright mean and rude.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Two reasons.

1. Not very mainstream theme.

2. Lack of content.

As in? enough quests to take you to rank 13 smoothly. End game is typical of themepark..dungeons and raid. If you say TSW is lacking features i would agree. But not once i felt while playing TSW that i am running out of missions.

Lack of content as in I played through all the missions and dungeons in the game within the first free month, and I didn't even rush through them. Replayability is practically zero as the few faction-specific missions are not enough to go through all the missions again, as fun as some of them are. It's not a problem of TSW in general, but more a problem of themepark games in general.

Don't get me wrong. I loved every bit of it, but when I finished the last missions, along with the first Issue I was just left thinking "now what?" without a real answer. PvP in TSW just doesn't interest me (and I've heard it doesn't interest too many others either).

• LecianLecian Member Posts: 19
    I agree I love everything about this game except the combat........being thats what you do most of the time, I moved on to the next one. Sorry to hear its dying though.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Originally posted by Nitth

The god damn equipment manager, I mean my god i reported that back in 0.7 that the thing is still Toast and im still raging.

+1 x10 times... I never liked add-ons and tend to play my games with the default toolset (before I forgot +1 to Sideras as well, "because I happend to not meet their standard on some fucking combat parser or w/e they are using" is a great line :) ).

It's sad - and as time goes it starts to turned into a shame - that a game which based so heavily on shuffling around abilities, building different decks, etc. is coming with such a bugged and weak deck management tool... I know there are add-ons for it, but seriously, it's not some convenience issue, deck management is one of the core elements of the gameplay... FC should fix it.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i enjoy TSW when my character is not moving. Sadly i cannot progress without combat or running around. As soon as i start fighting i lose interest in the game and log out few fights later. The character animations and combat really damage the fun i try to have in this game. I will never stop wishing Funcom remove those from the game entirely and add AoC's animations and combat. They will not do it so, i guess it sucks to be me for wanting to play this game but i dont have fun thanks to those gamebreaking(for me) features.

I really like everything else in the game, but the things i mentioned are a really big deal to me.

• SQTOSQTO Member UncommonPosts: 189
    I think they should have added world pvp to the game from the start.  Having nothing but pvp mini games and no world pvp made me bored with TSW.
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by SQTO

I think they should have added world pvp to the game from the start.  Having nothing but pvp mini games and no world pvp made me bored with TSW.

world pvp wouldn't work. they cant give immunity during cut scenes(game engine limitation) and there are SOO many cut scenes that it would be majorly exploitable
  • VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Funcom has always had a huge love/hate relationship with me. After DAoC, Anarchy Online was my second MMO (played both really at the same time) and Age of Conan was suppossed to be this OMGWTFAMAZING adult oriented and visceral game, to me it was a whimper.

TSW did alot of things right, but they failed terribly with really bad tutorials to grab and hold new players, and expand on their player base, the tutorial needed to explain alot of the inner workings of the decks and synergies. Sure this is kind of dumbing down the game, but an MMO lives and dies with its population.

Personally what really turned me off was these amazing CGi movies depicting the game, giving the impression of well rendered avatars. What we got is really ugly character models, with abyssmal animations. To me its really hard to get attached to ugliness in a human character. If its a strange creature avatar (Asuran or Charr in GW2, Wookies in SWG, or any of the creatures from WoW) i can handle ugliness, i even embrace it. If all that is available is thin supermodel avatars then i expect them to look the part, unless i am given the options to make a fat, gross thin, or something other than the supermodel avatars, well then i want them to be nice to look at (Male or Female).

The animations are still bad compared to alot of other MMOs, there worse than AoC, how does that make sense? This should have been a top priority to be fixed, i know they did a minor fix but it was not enough.

Lolipops !

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

global open world can't work coz ,societyes are not in puplic war,all is explain in back story & lores

Secret War is bassed on hiden level,in underfgounds & darkness places far from public.

Originally posted by Sideras
    I've been think of returning to the game, but last time I played around the release date I ran some end-game instances and people were elitist as fuck. The problem with this is that I'm not going to sit on some forum and copy the lastest cookicutter build in a game that's all about customizing because I happend to not meet their standard on some fucking combat parser or w/e they are using.And neither am I going to sit on youtube and study the boss patterns before hand spoiling the whole experience because a bunch of assholes want to finish the instance in a couple of seconds.I would return if I had enough friends playing it but so far theres like one friend interested.I love the atmosphere and the skill building, the back story and the characters in the world but the rest really isn't very appealing.

I dont know if its sad or hilarious when people go fast 18/18 for bullions must have <Extreme Max Stats>

Like really. What are you going to do with those extra bullions? your already almost stat capped!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

Originally posted by Voiidiin

The animations are still bad compared to alot of other MMOs, there worse than AoC, how does that make sense? This should have been a top priority to be fixed, i know they did a minor fix but it was not enough.

nvm

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

global open world can't work coz ,societyes are not in puplic war,all is explain in back story & lores

Secret War is bassed on hiden level,in underfgounds & darkness places far from public.

Sounds like a poor excuse not to have some world pvp made into the game.  Everything happens far away from the public so why not some small battles ? kinda like the pvp mini games, they worked that in around the lore...

an example of what they could have done is the spy missions from Age of Wushu, not all out war but small covert missions.

Originally posted by TribeofOne

world pvp wouldn't work. they cant give immunity during cut scenes(game engine limitation) and there are SOO many cut scenes that it would be majorly exploitable

even swtor figured out how to give immunity during cut scenes.

Originally posted by Agent_Joseph global open world can't work coz ,societyes are not in puplic war,all is explain in back story & lores Secret War is bassed on hiden level,in underfgounds & darkness places far from public.    
    Sounds like a poor excuse not to have some world pvp made into the game.  Everything happens far away from the public so why not some small battles ? kinda like the pvp mini games, they worked that in around the lore...

an example of what they could have done is the spy missions from Age of Wushu, not all out war but small covert missions.

Issue X "the treaty of Venice is now broken"
    All factions are now in full out war, return today to fight for your faction!

^See what i did there, Just fixed the lore.