Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Neverwinter feel like the game play is similar to WoW?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

After viewing a few trailers I feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion.

Thoughts??

P.S. this thread was changed as to not infrienge on any prior threads related to recent trailers.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Isturi

Far as I can tell and correct me if I am wrong this is a first time view of yet anouther new Neverwinter Trailer that is presented here at MMORPG.

"Cryptic and Perfect World delivers another look at the game in action, this time detailing the adventure area known as Mount Hotenow. Players will confront the challenge of the fire giants who live in the volcanic mountain, and work to thwart the giants’ plans to reawaken the slumbering primordial far beneath the mountain."

Thoughts??

I just feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion.

already thread on this:P sorry forgot link

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/376852/Neverwinter-Mount-Hotenow-Revealed.html

doesn't really seem much like wow to me but ill have to try hands on next month in beta to see for sure

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

Far as I can tell and correct me if I am wrong this is a first time view of yet anouther new Neverwinter Trailer that is presented here at MMORPG.

"Cryptic and Perfect World delivers another look at the game in action, this time detailing the adventure area known as Mount Hotenow. Players will confront the challenge of the fire giants who live in the volcanic mountain, and work to thwart the giants’ plans to reawaken the slumbering primordial far beneath the mountain."

Thoughts??

I just feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion.

already thread on this:P sorry forgot link

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/376852/Neverwinter-Mount-Hotenow-Revealed.html

doesn't really seem much like wow to me but ill have to try hands on next month in beta to see for sure

OK ty for the info I did not see that thread. Did not accure to me to chk out news. LOL Well I can change it around some so it wont get locked.

• Mondo80Mondo80 Member UncommonPosts: 194
    I've played WOW for too many years, this game has very little in common with it in terms of gameplay.
  • XepherdXepherd Member UncommonPosts: 105

I will try to keep this reply as short as possible:

HELL, NO!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Game play is far from WoW, combat feels nothing like it, but I haven't played WoW since the first expansion back...
  • Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

Neverwinter is as similar to WoW as Mass Effect is to Doom...

I don't really see the similarity.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• Kingmob23Kingmob23 Member UncommonPosts: 78
    After having played Neverwinter this past weekend I can honestly say combat feels nothing like WoW or the pseudo-action combat of GW2. Its closest to Tera but I felt it played a little smoother. The quest system is far more intricate than WoW with much less kill and gather x style quests. They instead were more along the lines of a single player rpg in that there was more dungeon delving with traps, puzzles, secret passage ways, and boss fights. I don't know about this games longevity, hopefully strong support from cryptic and the foundery community, but I do know this game is going to suck a lot of my time for a few months based on my beta weekend experience.
  • SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455

NWO has a lot of similarities to Champions Online which is not surprising since we're talking about Cryptic.  The combat and stats are very similiar. 

The obvious major difference is the freeform build.

I also expect similar methods of collecting revenue in NWO: lockboxes, archetypes, probably player housing, mounts...etc.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

After viewing a few trailers I feel that the game play is conventently similar to WoW. Of course this is my opionion.

Thoughts??

P.S. this thread was changed as to not infrienge on any prior threads related to recent trailers.

I'd say no but then haven't played WoW for years. The need to aim instead of tab targeting is IMO a big change from WoW combat, not to mention you can only use a handfull of skills at a time instead of bars and bars. Overall neverwinter seems alot more actiony then WoW.

• RevenantBobRevenantBob Member Posts: 3

No way! This game play is nothing like WoW IMO. You don't target an enemy and exchange blows, you bust out abilities and whatever is in front of your reticle gets it's butt handed to it. The combat was a blast in my opinion, and I had a lot more fun with character roles and content than WoW.

I also think this game beat GW2's tail in, especially since dungeons weren't an unfollowable chaotic mess, and I didn't have every ability that mattered 60 levels before end game.

Honestly, I think they are making it fun because it'll be free, and the only way they'll get a cent out of people is if they login and enjoy it. I did.

• Shana77Shana77 Member UncommonPosts: 290

After playing the beta i would say this game is actually closer in gameplay to Diablo then to WoW. In fact you could call it a "what would happen if blizzard made a diablo mmo" kind of game. 

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

No fan of ANY game would ever describe their game as similar to WOW...even if its and exact replica with a gimmick or two.

With that said...i highly doubt a dungeon crawler with action combat will play or feel anything like the game.  This game is made in a different format than WOW and all its "groundbreaking" and "innovative" clones.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    And just like a clock work...'it is a wow clone' topics are starting to show up.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    And just like a clock work...'it is a wow clone' topics are starting to show up.

Pretty fail attempt though.  Nothing against WoW actually, but anyone with eyeballs can see that Neverwinter playstyle is nothing like WoW.

• LaromussLaromuss Member UncommonPosts: 331

the game down to its very core and like any MMO is just like Wow if thats what the OP means/wants to hear.  But the gameplay and class mechanics are very different.   Think of it as an action rpg, each class is very flexible in the sense that targeting allow players to quickly, i mean very quickly switch between targets similar to DMC, etc  which gives the game a faster pacing to the combat but allows the player to take on multiple enemies at once and feel that they have amazing control over the battle.  Sure the classes have the basic names Cleric, Rogue etc but what they have done with each class in terms of varying mechanics allows the combat to be very interesting and very  fun.   

I had the chance to test out the game, I played  the Devout Cleric up to the level 30 cap, the cleric and every other class have the ability to dish out enough DPS that when in a group fight you don't alway have to rely on another team mate especially when you encounter a large amount of enemies and chaos ensues and when soloing you don't ever need a tank class or dps to take on bosses etc, boss mechanics and their patterns are similar to what you will see in a console fight, allowing very fun fights and no reliance on extra classes to be there to accomplish it.

My favorite in terms of feel and just speed and action combat was the rogue, he is not your typical rogue.  He is very very fast in the sense that he can jump into a fight with 10 mobs and is able to avoid all incoming damage but kill all ten alone, which is very different from the classic rogue.  For example the rogue can teleport into the center of the mobs and strike one enemy but as soon as he lands he leaves a decoy which tricks the mobs and turns their attention to the decoy which has HP.  The rogue then can quickly dish out some damage to build up his daily power by using his other various skills and this point probably dodge and switching targets to get maximum coverage of the fight.  By this time the daily power is ready and he uses a power which I can only describe as something out of a ninja movie on Roids, he teleports between all enemies in the area multiple times dishing out massive damage and at this point maybe 1 minute has passed and all 5-10 mobs are dead and you're left feeling like you've accomplished an amazing fight and if you took no damage you've played the class correctly.  

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I have watched lot's of trailers and I really don't think it even looks close to paying like WoW. Looks more like Diablo then WoW.
  • apocalanceapocalance Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

To echo what some of the other beta testers have said, it plays nothing like WoW. To that end, I already know that at least one of my friends won't play for that very reason. The way your character acts while in a combat animation, kind of sticks you there through the animation. WoW does no such thing, it allows you to freely run around in circles while spamming buttons and in the middle of a swing, jump, backup, etc. This game enforces some mechanics that don't allow that. I think I would say it's like LotRO combat only there's no option to unsticky yourself from your animations.

The choice of what abilities to use is more like Guild Wars where you have access to more abilities than you can place on your action bars. It's more like a MOBA in that sense. Certain abilities level up and then there are new abilities that you can replace them with if you choose. There are two slots for "daily" abilities, which are not daily, but they require you to build up points to use them. Using one will empty the points and you start over. Usually your other combat actions will fill it back up, but again, not something you can use every fight or even every other fight.

Gearing felt more like traditional RPGs than D&D. But I didn't really check to see if all stats stacked, so I can't be certain about that. I know that was something in DDO, because it was using D&D 3rd edition rules. I really don't know the 4th edition rules so I can't say if it's like D&D or if D&D has changed.

The class choices are REALLY limiting at launch. You get 5 classes. You have a sword and board tank, a healer, a caster/controller, a rogue, and a 2h fighter. You can be any of the races, there are no class/race limitations. Human, Dwarf, Elf, Half-elf, Halfling, and Tiefling were in the last beta. There's also one that's not unlocked for testing yet. It could be Drow (not to be confused with the Menzoberranzan Renegade from the founders pack. No real info is out on the Drow or the Menzoberranzan Renegade, so it could be one and the same with different racials, or who knows?

Anyway, the game feels very different to WoW. WoW is very open world. This isn't one of those games. You feel more confined, like everything is in an area and there's some gate, wall, border, etc, stopping it from being truly open (think SWTOR if you've played that).

Hopefully if you're on this site, you realize that MMO's can somewhat all be compared to one another and that if you can't really tell the difference, perhaps more scrutiny is required, but this game, like many others, is not like WoW. For better or worse.

so...

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Happy to hear that the game play does not feel like WoW.

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    Originally posted by SpectralHunter

NWO has a lot of similarities to Champions Online which is not surprising since we're talking about Cryptic.  The combat and stats are very similiar. 

I also expect similar methods of collecting revenue in NWO: lockboxes, archetypes, probably player housing, mounts...etc.

there wont be lockboxes...also no pay for classes or races... only cosmetics (also mounts / pets) and consumables...

the one thing that concerns me about the gameplay right now is the locking-in-place during skills...i hope they come up with a better solution before release

Originally posted by apocalance

To echo what some of the other beta testers have said, it plays nothing like WoW. To that end, I already know that at least one of my friends won't play for that very reason. The way your character acts while in a combat animation, kind of sticks you there through the animation. WoW does no such thing, it allows you to freely run around in circles while spamming buttons and in the middle of a swing, jump, backup, etc. This game enforces some mechanics that don't allow that. I think I would say it's like LotRO combat only there's no option to unsticky yourself from your animations.

youre right on that one which i am also concerned about, altough during totalbiscuits playthrough the devs gave the explanation for that decision

on the other hand, you can physically dodge an enemy attack and it wont hit you - i havent played wow since the first expansion but i think its still tab/auto target and auto hit? i would say neverwinter's combat is a bit like a mix of gw2's and tera's with some diablo thrown in

Originally posted by apocalance There's also one that's not unlocked for testing yet. It could be Drow (not to be confused with the Menzoberranzan Renegade from the founders pack. No real info is out on the Drow or the Menzoberranzan Renegade, so it could be one and the same with different racials, or who knows?

Anyway, the game feels very different to WoW. WoW is very open world. This isn't one of those games. You feel more confined, like everything is in an area and there's some gate, wall, border, etc, stopping it from being truly open (think SWTOR if you've played that).

regarding the drow, i am not sure yet but it could be that the drow is only available to the founders? i think it was possible...also since afaik drows are very rarely seen on the surface so it would also make sense lorewise and would be a huge incentive for people to buy the package

regarding the confinement - yes youre right, i think you can clearly see the nature of the game that started as a multiplayer online rpg rather than a mmo...on the other hand i think that you have to work more with instanced when you give players a tool like the foundry...i couldnt decided for myself yet if neverwinter is rather a casual online rpg to play through a few dungeons with friends or truly an mmo where its worth to sink into for months/years and really build up your character (than again i came to the conclusion that only true sandbox games will ever make this worthwile)

• udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by SpectralHunter

there wont be lockboxes...also no pay for classes or races... only cosmetics (also mounts / pets) and consumables...

the one thing that concerns me about the gameplay right now is the locking-in-place during skills...i hope they come up with a better solution before release

I don't know where you ae getting that from but you are wrong.  If you did a /cstore in beta you could bring up the store and it had keys for lock boxes for sale.  Also they have already said there will be more classes after launch and it would be silly to assume they will be free.

Cryptic's and PWI's line is as long as you can buy Zen with in game gold anything and everything is fair game in the shop.  

To the op,  not really, it has skill buttons and damage but combat paces very different than WoW.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

It doesn't play anything like WoW.

The game feels more like a hybrid between TERA and GW2. Although the super meter for daily powers is fairly unique to this genre.

So no, nothing like WoW.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Nemesis7884
    Originally posted by apocalance There's also one that's not unlocked for testing yet. It could be Drow (not to be confused with the Menzoberranzan Renegade from the founders pack. No real info is out on the Drow or the Menzoberranzan Renegade, so it could be one and the same with different racials, or who knows?

regarding the drow, i am not sure yet but it could be that the drow is only available to the founders? i think it was possible...also since afaik drows are very rarely seen on the surface so it would also make sense lorewise and would be a huge incentive for people to buy the package

regarding the confinement - yes youre right, i think you can clearly see the nature of the game that started as a multiplayer online rpg rather than a mmo...on the other hand i think that you have to work more with instanced when you give players a tool like the foundry...i couldnt decided for myself yet if neverwinter is rather a casual online rpg to play through a few dungeons with friends or truly an mmo where its worth to sink into for months/years and really build up your character (than again i came to the conclusion that only true sandbox games will ever make this worthwile)

No, for the millionth time, Drow are available to everyone for free at launch. What you get from the founder pack is a unique backstory, unique tattoo and unique racial ability that are based of Drizzt.  But common Drow are available to everyone.

• Entris38Entris38 Member UncommonPosts: 401

Thoughts??

I read through all the posts and I really feel like the best game out there to compare it to is DDO, having played it, it's pretty much copy/paste of DDO and updated with WoW'ish/RIft type of art style. Very simplistic combat, but nothing like WoW, more like any action combat, such as Diablo 3, maybe a bit more complex.

On another note, I had a blast on the beta weekend playing it. It will be free, take a look when it comes out.