Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2: Flame and Frost Part 2 "Gathering Storm" Early Thoughts

SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Review

Here is a slight review on the upcoming Feb 26 update “Gathering Storm”. As usual this is my thoughts and insights on it. Maybe you agree with me maybe you don't. But it's always nice to get a positive outlook on things minus the drama.

Out of the four things listed here two things stand out. Number one is the unfortunate omission of WVW I can only hope they have an excellent reason for it. I'm always about understanding and patience. Number two is guild quests being introduced. This is something I recently said should be added. I know I had zero to do with it coming about.

It's nice something I feel everyone would like actually came about. This is a very short review but on a quite nice topic enjoy your day all.

Comments

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970

I dunno, I dont like what they are trying to do... Putting wooden stuff in the ground, dead npcs, and campfires does not really have an impact on the game. 

Lets try to be honest... I would rather see their devs working on something polished rather than mashing out some random stuff that kind of don't mean anything at all. 

So far I'm not impressed by this "Living Story". 

Guild Missions can be great or terribad, it all depends on the rewards and what you actually have to do. Please make it epic. 

Daily achievements should be nice as well, but I'm courios if you choose to do all the dungeons in the game in one day, how much more of a reward will we get? I guess we won't be able to choose that but oh well:P

As for PvP I'm not interested untill they bring some of the things that made Guild Wars the best, most fun and rewarding PvP game I've played. 

In the future I would like to see more indepth skill system, what we have now is like a kindergarten book compared to a Lexicon.

• RaekonRaekon Member UncommonPosts: 531

I'm totally excited about the guild quests! :)

They sound pretty good and unique so far (bounty hunt, gathering of stuff, defence and so on).

I really hope that guild halls are coming next and bringing training grounds and guild vs guild with them. :)

Unfortunately I didn't got to play the fire and ice so far so I need to catch up before the 26th february so I have the prologue to the follow up they will add. :)

The new pvp map sounds fun too so I'll probably give it a try.

Too bad that the WvsWvsW stuff is not in the update notes but who knows?

We might still get them. If not, then I'm sure that the stuff didn't worked as intented so they decided to rather leave them out then add something that causes issues and frustration.

Still looking forward to them though. 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by andre369

Daily achievements should be nice as well, but I'm courios if you choose to do all the dungeons in the game in one day, how much more of a reward will we get? I guess we won't be able to choose that but oh well:P

Why would you get ANTHING more for daily if you choose to do dungeons compared to anything else you do?

You are already get most rewards from dungeons, and you still want more? If anything you should get more rewards from WvWvW because in huge reward gap compared to anything else.

If anything you should get LESS rewards if you choose to do dungeons just to bring them more in line to everything else.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

Well, they did warn us that the January patch would be light on new content and was more about introducing the necassary framework for stuff coming in February and March.

That said, I am disappointed that the Living Story really didn't evolve at all since it was introduced. I was really expecting that every 3-7 days, we'd be able to return to the zones effected and see that the story had advanced, at least in some small way. I expect there to be a lot more going on with the February update, but if the new content just appears and then doesn't progress again until the March Update, then I will call phooey on the much wasted potential for the Living Story event.

There is just no good reason why each month's chapter shouldn't be designed to roll out new related events through out the entire month.

As far as the WvW delay, it's good that they are not going to release it until it's ready. A big part of the promised improvements relates to the culling issue and we really want the new system to be working properly before those changes make it to live. The changes to WvW rewards and features should wait for the culling thing to be nailed down, because the new features/rewards are meant to draw new players to WvW, or to get players who tried WvW and left a reason to check it out again, as much as it is about retaining the current WvW actives. If they can greatly improve the culling issues first, it will make it more likely that people will be able to enjoy and appreciate the other changes minus some of the current frustrations.

A la carte dailies are sometjhing I suggested a while ago. Glad to see Arenanet is on the same wavelength. Guild content holds so much potential, but I won't set any expectations for what it will offer ahead of time.

We are just two weeks away from the update. The promised features should help to improve further on what is already a great game and hopefully The Living Story and Guild content will not disappoint.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Originally posted by Silentstorm

Review

Here is a slight review on the upcoming Feb 26 update “Gathering Storm”. As usual this is my thoughts and insights on it. Maybe you agree with me maybe you don't. But it's always nice to get a positive outlook on things minus the drama.

Out of the four things listed here two things stand out. Number one is the unfortunate omission of WVW I can only hope they have an excellent reason for it. I'm always about understanding and patience. Number two is guild quests being introduced. This is something I recently said should be added. I know I had zero to do with it coming about.

It's nice something I feel everyone would like actually came about. This is a very short review but on a quite nice topic enjoy your day all.

I think Arenanet is THAT clueless...that they don't even think they have a WvW problem other than invisible  players.

-the incessant zerging..............stil there

-the Queus's......(oh wait thats not a problem anyy more because many don't want to play in WvW any more now that they have experienced the mess thats more like a basketball game to see who can score the most points in  a 24/7 , two week frenzie)Thats their definition of server vs server warfare.

• andre369andre369 Member UncommonPosts: 970
    Originally posted by mikahr

Why would you get ANTHING more for daily if you choose to do dungeons compared to anything else you do?

You are already get most rewards from dungeons, and you still want more? If anything you should get more rewards from WvWvW because in huge reward gap compared to anything else.

If anything you should get LESS rewards if you choose to do dungeons just to bring them more in line to everything else.

You sound pretty mad or is it just me. It was an example. On second thought I think they will implement Daily's where you can do whatever and get your daily however you want,

What I meant in my post was, will daily quests be more rewarding if you choose to do more hard content? Myself I doub't it since alot of people would rage over this, allready you did. 

It was just a question, if a player chooses to do harder contest for the daily will player A that goes for the hardest content get more rewards than player B that chooses to complete the easiest daily in 20 minutes. Compared to player A that has to spend 2-4 hours to get it completed.

Also I want to say, I dobut it will become like this since most people would not be happy with it. As you said dungeons allready have rewards. But also you can farm 1 type of mobs and get more gold/hour than doing dungeons( If you look away from CoF speed runs)

Rewards will probably be equal no matter what you do, but If a player chooess to only do X and another does A,B,C they will both get their daily done. This will most likely be the case. Although, I would like to see a system where you can get more out of your daily if you choose to do it the hard way. 

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    No need for anger lol it's just a game. Side note they released what the new pvp zone looks like. No need to cover it because the coverage on it is so small.
  • VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    The interview with Colin really has me looking forwards to the guild mission updates!

Oderint, dum metuant.

• SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126
    We have 4 more days for that lets see if it all lives up to the hype lol.
  • L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

I dunno, I dont like what they are trying to do... Putting wooden stuff in the ground, dead npcs, and campfires does not really have an impact on the game. 

Lets try to be honest... I would rather see their devs working on something polished rather than mashing out some random stuff that kind of don't mean anything at all. 

Guild Missions can be great or terribad, it all depends on the rewards and what you actually have to do. Please make it epic. 

As for PvP I'm not interested untill they bring some of the things that made Guild Wars the best, most fun and rewarding PvP game I've played. 

In the future I would like to see more indepth skill system, what we have now is like a kindergarten book compared to a Lexicon.

For all we know the living story might be a dud, or might be huge. After all, I do remember back at the halloween event everyone complaining on the first day about how bad the event was, how almost everything added was on the gem store, that there was nothing meaningful to do, and so on... and after the last day I actually heard people complaining that there were too many things to do on the event and that they didn't have time to do it all.. :)

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by L0C0Man

For all we know the living story might be a dud, or might be huge. After all, I do remember back at the halloween event everyone complaining on the first day about how bad the event was, how almost everything added was on the gem store, that there was nothing meaningful to do, and so on... and after the last day I actually heard people complaining that there were too many things to do on the event and that they didn't have time to do it all.. :)

yea seems the norm for ANET so far.. start off very slow on the multi phase patches then throw a lot in.. halloween had so much to do after the first part it was crazy especially for just a holiday event.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

I'm equally not impressed. They disappointed me greatly post launch with their mismanagement of the resources they have. 

I understand that they are now in the struggle stage of keeping players interested but I have to say if they wanted to keep players they should have kept with their original design plans. IE Fractals should have never been added to the game and they should have never added fractals to dailies in the slightest. The majority of the players who bought this title were DEFINITELY NOT here for the dungeons I can tell you that now. They were here because dungeons were an afterthought, a side diversion and not the focus of the game, that's why they bought the title. That or pvp.

It's going on 6 months now and we have yet to see a new permanent DE meta. The only time anything is done about bugs is if it's dungeon related. The only time anything is done to improve the game it's pvp related. Add to that the insulting nature in which they treat their customers in the main forums and fail time and time again to apologize for their rudeness especially when they were found to be completely wrong about something. They have dropped the serious ball on the pve side of this game end game and it's going to take something big for them to come back from it.