Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kid's say the darnedest things.

GrandoReaperGrandoReaper Member UncommonPosts: 147

My stepson had been begging to play WoW.

I told him that he needs to play a F2P MMO before I consider spending money on him.

I asked him why he doesnt play the F2P MMO anymore. He said, "It doesnt give you anything." I told him that you need to level up to do more things. He said, "Ya I did level up and it still doesnt give you anything." I said well it has to give you something while your playing.

The reply I get is, "It gives you different monsters to fight and area to level in, I already had that."

*pokerface* Did I just get owned?

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son were playing skylanders the other day.. my 5 year old looked over and called her brother a "douche pickle".. where she heard that i do not know lol

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Children are very unforgiving regarding games and not many MMORPGs are even good games.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by GrandoReaper

I told him that he needs to play a F2P MMO before I consider spending money on him.

I asked him why he doesnt play the F2P MMO anymore. He said, "It doesnt give you anything." I told him that you need to level up to do more things. He said, "Ya I did level up and it still doesnt give you anything." I said well it has to give you something while your playing.

The reply I get is, "It gives you different monsters to fight and area to level in, I already had that."

Truly marvellous! A wise kid you have. :)

I always believed that adult gamers are just made to believe that grind is fun. We are programmed like the dog of Pavlov. When a new expansion pack of WOW came, I read many people write stuff like "Yay, new factions to grind!" and I thought... WTF? It's not fun. Period. But we are programmed, manipulated to think a treadmill is fun.

A hamster wheel looks like a career ladder from the inside.

[mod edit]

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Quirhid
    Children are very unforgiving regarding games and not many MMORPGs are even good games.

This 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • craftseekercraftseeker Member RarePosts: 1,740
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    my 5 year old daughter and 3 year old son were playing skylanders the other day.. my 5 year old looked over and called her brother a "douche pickle".. where she heard that i do not know lol

I remember getting my daughter and son Everquest Accounts(then 9 and 10).  My son and I used to group together and do stuff.  My daughter rolled her eyes and went picking flowers or some such.   At the end of the day, I looked over to her computer still logged on (although by then she was reading a book) and she had over 300 plat, this on a level 12 toon she had created the day before.  I asked her how she had got so much cash (much more than I had at that stage), she rolled her eyes again and said "boys are dumb, they give you stuff if you act nice".

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Little children are bluntly honest.  They are still innocent and not jaded like us here in this site.  They don't make excuses and they call it as they see it.  They should review video games for true honest feedback...huh, there should be a website dedicated to this.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

If you get him WoW, his grades will go down and his weight will go up.

MMOs are for people out of school.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Sijjistoryus
    Originally posted by GrandoReaper My stepson had been begging to play WoW. I told him that he needs to play a F2P MMO before I consider spending money on him. I asked him why he doesnt play the F2P MMO anymore. He said, "It doesnt give you anything." I told him that you need to level up to do more things. He said, "Ya I did level up and it still doesnt give you anything." I said well it has to give you something while your playing. The reply I get is, "It gives you different monsters to fight and area to level in, I already had that." *pokerface* Did I just get owned?

That very narrow minded....

Wouldnt it be better advice to say "everything in moderation"?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969

Some of my fondest memories are playing SWG with my son. He was 11 at the time. His favorite thing to do was catch me questing in Restuss and he would run in, kill me and then hit his macro that said "You just got pwned Dadio".

As I said, he was only 11, but he ended up being one of the most feared PvPers on Tarquinas server.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Sijjistoryus

Are for people with jobs, wives and children that can only play 2 hours a day right?

OH WAIT...

If you follow this line of thought mmos are for single people on college -.-

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Elikal

Great quote. Summed up pretty much every MMO in a single sentence.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362
    Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

Great quote. Summed up prettty much every MMO in a single sentence.

and yet playgrounds have swings and ... you never go anywhere, no matter how high you swing, you just return down eventually.

perhaps swinging is the goal, not the destination ?

why does the hamster like the wheel? surely he's not feeling accomplishment by turning it. Maybe he plain likes turning it ?

we're trying too hard to derive purpose from something that is without one.

The wheel movement might be hypnotic for the hamster, he just runs to see the same movement being done and thus feeling joy or fullfiness

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    You think kids would make good beta testers?
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671

Tarq! We like it <>, not <  >.

I miss that server.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Tell him that that's what WoW gives you when you level up, too.

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

and yet playgrounds have swings and ... you never go anywhere, no matter how high you swing, you just return down eventually.

why does the hamster like the wheel? surely he's not feeling accomplishment by turning it. Maybe he plain likes turning it ?

What is the goal when playing MMOs? Seems to me that there is none, just spinning the wheel at ever higher levels and gear ratings.

At least the Hamster gets a good cardio workout, what is the reward for an mmo player? Good gear? It can't be. The gear becomes obsolete with the next patch.

The hamster wheel accurately describes what MMOs feel like to me lately, if you feel different, why don't you recommend a game that isn't all about the grind? And don't say GW2...

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586
    If you let him play WOW make sure you turn off trade chat and turn on the obscenities filter!!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• MarirranyaMarirranya Member Posts: 154

daddy you just got owned :))

give the boy his wow!.. he certainly seems to be able to handle it, why not give it to him :3

There are people who play games and then there are gamers.

http://alzplz.blogspot.com

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by craftseeker
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I remember getting my daughter and son Everquest Accounts(then 9 and 10).  My son and I used to group together and do stuff.  My daughter rolled her eyes and went picking flowers or some such.   At the end of the day, I looked over to her computer still logged on (although by then she was reading a book) and she had over 300 plat, this on a level 12 toon she had created the day before.  I asked her how she had got so much cash (much more than I had at that stage), she rolled her eyes again and said "boys are dumb, they give you stuff if you act nice".

total win.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Briansho
    If you let him play WOW make sure you turn off trade chat and turn on the obscenities filter!!

says the man with the American Psycho avatar >.<

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Not sure about you, but the entire purpose of swings for me was to propel yourself to out jump the other kid :)

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Wow you step child has more common sense than most adult MMO gamers. And for a moment I thought the new generation of youth were more stupid. I stand corrected. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

My son asked me to cancel his mmo. I asked him why. He says patch after patch, they dumb it down for grown ups that don't have much time to play.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Tayah
    My son asked me to cancel his mmo. I asked him why. He says patch after patch, they dumb it down for grown ups that don't have much time to play.
    lol!

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Tayah

lol!

And people always blame the "kiddies" for supposedly ruining the MMO genre...