Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I feel like I'm part of a small group..

halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 532

That really enjoy this game.

Which is ashame because I got this sinking feeling that The Secret World is going to go the way of dead MMOs past, which I would just hatehatehate to see.

So my question is, why isn't it attracting more of a crowd? Because of the quests? The combat? I understand the UI is kinda screwy but I'm sure the developers noticed this as well and are working on it.

My biggest issue with the game so far is the lack of inventory sorting. There is NOTHING more dishearting in this game than the fact that my inventory constantly has 200ish items in it and I have to spend close to an hour sortting it all around in my bags and bank.  ( Found  a mod recently that makes this slightly less painful but still, ugh.. )

That and the freakin' chat is buggy still from launch - or is that just me? When I write a long sentence it kinda just goes off the chat screen and breaks the third wall, which is.. so very annoying.

The lack of a group finder is also an issue for me but that's up to debate for other people - the faster I can get in a group the better for me. I've yet to run into many trolls in TSW so I really don't believe it would hurt the community.

I want to make a suggestions post on their forum but I want more feedback from the MMORPG.com community to see what the game needs, I wanna make a humungous post all about suggestions from every source I can gather. :)

Just wanna make a great game better and feedback is the best way!

Comments

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

For me, the combat just sucks.  I basically stand there in one spot and click on attacks and the animations are just not very good.  I dont even feel like I'm doing anything.

I also dont understand the recent move by developers for so many different forms of currency.  Why all the different marks or whatever you call them?  Two types of currency at the most are all that is needed in addition to a real money currency.  I'm tired of seeing a bunch of unused marks or whatever that I earned that can only be used to buy low level gear that sells for a very small amount.  It just seems like a waste.

You mentioned the inventory thing already and that is very frustrating too.  After I loot each mob, I have to open my inventory to move the items to their section of my inventory to keep things straight.  In the end, it has awesome potential but it seems like it was made by a bunch of brainiacs who never really played an MMO.  If they just spend 6 months fixing these things they would keep a lot more customers.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Two reasons.

1. Not very mainstream theme.

2. Lack of content.

• ashleymorrowashleymorrow Member Posts: 176
    I empathize with what you are saying. On the plus side, Anarchy Online and Conan are still running, so that is hopeful for Secret World.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Talonsin

For me, the combat just sucks.  I basically stand there in one spot and click on attacks and the animations are just not very good.  I dont even feel like I'm doing anything.

TSW has  action based combat with lots of movement going on. Almost every boss-fight in the game requires you to constantly move while attacking.

That's why, not a single skill in TSW roots you in place, every skill allows you to move around and dodge enemy AoEs or other abilities.

Given the above and the fact that it's very responsive, and that you can switch your abilities 'on the run', I consider the combat in TSW to be among the best.

REALITY CHECK

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by tom_gore

Two reasons.

1. Not very mainstream theme.

2. Lack of content.

As in? enough quests to take you to rank 13 smoothly. End game is typical of themepark..dungeons and raid. If you say TSW is lacking features i would agree. But not once i felt while playing TSW that i am running out of missions.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Thillian

TSW has  action based combat with lots of movement going on. Almost every boss-fight in the game requires you to constantly move while attacking.

That's why, not a single skill in TSW roots you in place, every skill allows you to move around and dodge enemy AoEs or other abilities.

Given the above and the fact that it's very responsive, and that you can switch your abilities 'on the run', I consider the combat in TSW to be among the best.

I didn't understand that either -- I never stand in one spot.  You can take up to a third less damage just by moving around while you are attacking, and every ability works while moving.  Plenty of dodging is necessary, especially as you get further into the game.  If anything, I thought he was describing WoW.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    for me i enjoyed the game during beta and at launch but the more and more i played the more issues kept creeping up.. but overall i think one of the biggest things that bothered me and many others I know was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley it effects how you precieve your character and how the combat "feels" overall it was a huge topic throughout beta and i think it really hurt the game overall.. that and making the 3 factions have no real "feel" of a conflict between them overall let me down also..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by halfmystic

That really enjoy this game.

Which is ashame because I got this sinking feeling that The Secret World is going to go the way of dead MMOs past, which I would just hatehatehate to see.

Don't worry -- Anarchy Online has been around forever, and just because there is some consolidation going on, doesn't mean the games are going away.  All the dev teams will be in Raleigh, NC  (AO, AoC, TSW), so better working together and more efficiency all around.

So my question is, why isn't it attracting more of a crowd? Because of the quests? The combat? I understand the UI is kinda screwy but I'm sure the developers noticed this as well and are working on it.

Game has been busy since it went B2P, so I've been happy enough with the activity - I'm always talking to someone new.  But, horror is always less popular than fantasy, and the game is targeted at an M audiences, so it's bound to be less popular than the big boys.  Modern day setting may also have something to do with it.  Some people have issues with the animations or the PvP, but other  people like those features -- just a matter of taste.  Not going to worry -- we're having fun.

My biggest issue with the game so far is the lack of inventory sorting. There is NOTHING more dishearting in this game than the fact that my inventory constantly has 200ish items in it and I have to spend close to an hour sortting it all around in my bags and bank.  ( Found  a mod recently that makes this slightly less painful but still, ugh.. )

You can create new bags by clicking on the + sign in your inventory screen -- you can give each bag a name and then store the stuff you want.  You can create as many as you like.  If you want to pin it to the screen, use the pushpin icon on the bag

That and the freakin' chat is buggy still from launch - or is that just me? When I write a long sentence it kinda just goes off the chat screen and breaks the third wall, which is.. so very annoying.

Chat working fine, though a long sentence will go out of the window.  When you hit enter it will wrap.

The lack of a group finder is also an issue for me but that's up to debate for other people - the faster I can get in a group the better for me. I've yet to run into many trolls in TSW so I really don't believe it would hurt the community.

Use Shift+C for the group finding tool.  There's also a nice addon called Field Agent Locator which adds quite a bit of functionality.  Personally, I like that more people are talking to each other and game doesn't feel like a lobby.

I want to make a suggestions post on their forum but I want more feedback from the MMORPG.com community to see what the game needs, I wanna make a humungous post all about suggestions from every source I can gather. :)

I think most are looking forward to smoother animations, fixes to PvP and moar content.  Tokyo zone is coming later this year, and PvP improvements coming in Issue 6.  Also saw an animation demo recently, so they are definitely working on this!  :)

Just wanna make a great game better and feedback is the best way!

• JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    The combat animations are gamebreaking for me.
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    for me i enjoyed the game during beta and at launch but the more and more i played the more issues kept creeping up.. but overall i think one of the biggest things that bothered me and many others I know was http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley it effects how you precieve your character and how the combat "feels" overall it was a huge topic throughout beta and i think it really hurt the game overall.. that and making the 3 factions have no real "feel" of a conflict between them overall let me down also..

I've never quite felt this myself, but it seems to be something I hear more about the female models than the male.  I wonder if this may be partially due to the modern day background as well (?)

Playing up the faction conflict is a goal moving forward -- a flagged open world PvP system is in the works:

http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=63143

Originally posted by Ortwig

I've never quite felt this myself, but it seems to be something I hear more about the female models than the male.  I wonder if this may be partially due to the modern day background as well (?)

Playing up the faction conflict is a goal moving forward -- a flagged open world PvP system is in the works:

uncanny valley is a trickly thing as differn't people percieve it in differn't ways. But when a game hits that spot for people it completely turns them off to the characters and combat and it is really not something you can just "get past". There were long threads on this all through beta and the best they came up with was some "improved" combat animations but decided to keep the same base models and overall movement. This to me was one of the really big downfalls of this game overall and many i know who played

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• BeyornBeyorn Member UncommonPosts: 366
    For me it was the 1 builder 2 spenders (1,1,1,1,1,2,3 repeat).  Also some of the skills didnt really feel all that different for me.  To be effective you still needed to have certain weapon combos.  I liked the game other than that, loved the theme.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

uncanny valley is a trickly thing as differn't people percieve it in differn't ways. But when a game hits that spot for people it completely turns them off to the characters and combat and it is really not something you can just "get past". There were long threads on this all through beta and the best they came up with was some "improved" combat animations but decided to keep the same base models and overall movement. This to me was one of the really big downfalls of this game overall and many i know who played

Pardon a slightly OT bump, but the uncanny part rings true in your comment.  Photo real but not quite right can be a disaster.  I think they'd have done better with a slightly cartoonish (comic book) character art style.  Animation quirks are much easier overlooked.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

I don't care what my character looks like and I think the combat animations are fine.  I also don't buy that everyone hates non cartoon fantasy settings.  I find that the world is a bit small, loot is unexciting, the inventory is a nightmare, the UI is really odd, extremely weak CC sucks in PvE (if you get an add you are in big trouble) and the builder combat was not the way to go.  I still really enjoy the game it's just not something I would play for years on end.

I really appreciate it's solo PvE difficulty (you actually have to look where you are going) and it has the best story and setting in the business.  Not to mention creating your own "class/build" is fantastic.  The good definitely outweighs the bad imo.

Originally posted by Mardukk

I don't care what my character looks like and I think the combat animations are fine.  I also don't buy that everyone hates non cartoon fantasy settings.  I find that the world is a bit small, loot is unexciting, the inventory is a nightmare, the UI is really odd, extremely weak CC sucks in PvE (if you get an add you are in big trouble) and the builder combat was not the way to go.  I still really enjoy the game it's just not something I would play for years on end.

I really appreciate it's solo PvE difficulty (you actually have to look where you are going) and it has the best story and setting in the business.  Not to mention creating your own "class/build" is fantastic.  The good definitely outweighs the bad imo.

really has nothing to do with hating non cartoon fantasy.. personally the setting is the main reason i was interested in the game to start with

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by XAPGames

Pardon a slightly OT bump, but the uncanny part rings true in your comment.  Photo real but not quite right can be a disaster.  I think they'd have done better with a slightly cartoonish (comic book) character art style.  Animation quirks are much easier overlooked.

The problem with going cartoon style is that everyone does it.  They get big points from me for trying to appeal to a more adult audience.  

I will never understand what people are talking about with the combat animations....I just don't get it.  At least they don't lock you down like that other game that recently went FTP...talk about game breaking.

Originally posted by Mardukk
    Originally posted by XAPGames

The problem with going cartoon style is that everyone does it.  They get big points from me for trying to appeal to a more adult audience.  

I will never understand what people are talking about with the combat animations....I just don't get it.  At least they don't lock you down like that other game that recently went FTP...talk about game breaking.

the whole uncanny valley thing doesn't effect people the same way so some see it some don't

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Combat is dull, at best, and frustratingly repetative, at worst.  They went to great lengths to talk about how many skills there are, but the truth is, only a select few are really useful, and very few are interesting.  End result is a game with great atmosphere, and decent story, but uninspired gameplay that bogs down the pace.

You make me like charity

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

game is ok for me,best mmorpg maked after 2005.

Game is out only 7 months,new content & zones ll come in few next months,Only  negative for me are voice acting & cut scenes,they are great but it is waste of time & money for an mmorpg.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

One of the finest MMORPG's to date.

It's a shame that it hasn't gotten the credit and traffic it deserves.

The only problem I had with the game was the combat - which I felt very bored with.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Combat is dull, at best, and frustratingly repetative, at worst.  They went to great lengths to talk about how many skills there are, but the truth is, only a select few are really useful, and very few are interesting.  End result is a game with great atmosphere, and decent story, but uninspired gameplay that bogs down the pace.

With the freedom to create any deck you like and use every ability and every weapon, you also have the freedom to create dull, repetitive decks.  If you don't put in the effort to find something you like, you'll end up with something you don't.  Once you understand how the abilities can work together to make combos, combat becomes pretty damn exciting.  Lots of movement, dodging, and different abilities that can be swapped in and out as the situation requires.  If you are just spamming the same 2 abilities you are "doing it wrong."  The learning curve is a little steep, but the payoff is worth it:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

• lilwinslilwins Member Posts: 114

People confuse combat with animations, the combat in TSW is good, it's just the animations that suck. The animations make the combat look shitty, when in reality it's not.

Originally posted by lilwins

People confuse combat with animations, the combat in TSW is good, it's just the animations that suck. The animations make the combat look shitty, when in reality it's not.

Agreed on that -- animations could be improved (I happen to think they are good), but the combat system itself -- the wheel, the class/level free system is solid and a lot of fun.

Originally posted by lilwins

for some people not others.. really depends.. i didn't mind the combat overall as I love putting together builds.. my main beef with the combat system is just about everything is based on the builder/finisher dynamic and when you add that to only having 7 actives it limits what you can really do with the build.. this is fine for a couple weapons but after the 6th weapon it does get a bit stale.. also i'm fine with only 7 actives as well but just about everything revolving on builder builder builder finisher is where things start to get less interesting..

• emi56emi56 Member UncommonPosts: 24
    It's not missions he is talking about, I hit the plank myself. I have been running the same nightmare modes for the past 3 months over and over and over... New raid is too easy and short. I loging for about 1-2 hours each day just to get my bullion.