Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Do you want a DAoC-inspired or a fast action combat system in CU?

LarsaLarsa Member Posts: 990

Scanning through this thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/376432/The-list.html I noticed that many people agree on some features, but also vividly disagree on the combat system.

1. Many posters would like to go back to a combat system a la DAoC, slower paced, more tactical, with hard interrupts, with situational and positional abilities, no general cooldown but management of resources instead like mana, health or stamina. Complete with /stick, /face and tab target.
  2. Many other posters want fast-paced action combat and have named GW2, TERA or Darkfall as examples. No tab target here, no hard interrupts, with casting while moving.

Can't have it both ways, it's either one or the other. Personally I certainly prefer 1) but I'm interested in what the posters on this sub-forum think. Thus here's a poll about it.

I maintain this List of Sandbox MMORPGs. Please post or send PM for corrections and suggestions.

Comments

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

actually i want to see a mix of both.

the old tab targeting is nice, but realy kinda outdated.

the "action version" as used in gw2 or tera are not quite complete imo.

i hope they will come up with the best possible way to use your moves and positioning.

but if i had to chose, gimme the old daoc way. 

positioning, combos and all the funny stuff :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• CluckingChickenCluckingChicken Member Posts: 54
    I want the combat to be fast and meaty, and GW2 does a good job of that. I don't want to be chipping down someones health for over a minute only to have a healer walk by and instantly heal him back to full. I had enough of that trying to hit 2200 in WoW arenas. Slower combat is a thing of the past. If I get hit with a gigantic axe, I expect it to hurt. Also I want healers to have to react fast enough to help people. They shouldn't be able to take a sip of their tea and a nibble of their biscuit between spells in the middle of a giant battle.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    I voted fast as well but do not mind tab targeting myself , though an improved Guild Wars 2 combat system with manual blocking would be something I would enjoy the most. Ive just played way to many tab targeting stand in your face combat systems thats its boring to me now.
  • boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438
    DAoC's combat system was perfect for RvR. No need to change it IMO.

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    A mix of both, perhaps. It's hard to say. Combat should "feel" right, and that's not something you can necessarily figure out on paper.
  • gregoryvggregoryvg Member Posts: 35
    I don't think the fast combat would work for this game.  From what I understand Mark is trying to bring the "role" back into RPG, in other words CU is probably not going to have super-hybrids that can melee, heal and cast DPS spells.  You want to heal?  There's a class for that.  You want to be a mighty Tank?  There's a class for that.  You want to reign fireballs down on your enemies?  There's a class for that.  For all those different classes to work together combat will have to be slowed down a hair to give the healer a chance to heal, the mage a chance to cast a spell (which he hopefully has to stand still for) and for the tank to do his thing.  IMO this is not a bad thing as it lets groups form a synergy together.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

I want it to be either like Darkfall, or like DAoC. 

No in between half assed garbage like GW2 and AoC. 

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I voted for DAOC-Inspired, but I would like to see them lower the delays.
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    Slow and tactical in my opinion!

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• ninjapyninjapy Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Originally posted by CluckingChicken
    I want the combat to be fast and meaty, and GW2 does a good job of that. I don't want to be chipping down someones health for over a minute only to have a healer walk by and instantly heal him back to full. I had enough of that trying to hit 2200 in WoW arenas. Slower combat is a thing of the past. If I get hit with a gigantic axe, I expect it to hurt. Also I want healers to have to react fast enough to help people. They shouldn't be able to take a sip of their tea and a nibble of their biscuit between spells in the middle of a giant battle.

You must have never played DAOC. Ever Been PA'd? With follow ups. Thats Death in 3 Secs. Or Stun Nuke Nuke Nuke Dead from a Hib caster. Thats Death in 3 sec also. I have never been killed in WOW or GW2 in 3 sec at any level. In fact most 1 on 1 encounters i have had in WOW take Minutes and sometimes what seems forever. Why? Every class in WOW has some sort of self healing. I play on Spirestone open pvp server. If i am engaged with the enemy and an other adds i will just GTFO, not because i am a chicken shit but because WOW has made it damn near impossible to 2v1 with the stupid heals most classes can do.

Save us CU.

• hadatihadati Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I like mezz, positional attack, active blocking, but also want longer combat sequence than 3 seconds from full health to dead from a glass cannon going slow, nuke, nuke, nuke.  Therefore, a mix of both with great graphics, animations, particle effects and tactical decisions with circa 15-30 second combat sequences when fighting 1 on 1.

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I'd like some mixture of war of the roses and chivalry combat.
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Unless they can get "modern" combat smooth and working flawlessly thats not clunky at all, (which I'm yet to see) then id rather traditional combat. Hell WAR's combat shit on most of the more recent stuff.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• JostleJostle Member Posts: 63

Why not both? I really love the idea of weapon-speed based combat with queueing positionals and/or conditionals. I also like aimedish combat. I never thought of DAoC combat as the same type of tab-targetting as other MMOs.

EDIT:

Originally posted by skyexile

Unless they can get "modern" combat smooth and working flawlessly thats not clunky at all, (which I'm yet to see) then id rather traditional combat. Hell WAR's combat shit on most of the more recent stuff.

I also really like WAR's combat. I loved action points and think it would work really well having two pools of action points, one for physical abilities and another for magical ones. Though I do think WAR could do with having more more active attacking and defending. Just a leetle bit.

• HagnarHagnar Member UncommonPosts: 39
    Daoc combat, slow and tactical, with few tweaks. 

Born as a berserker, I was also a hero, a bounty hunter, a paladin ,a troubador and a paladin once again during my Mmo''s experiences .. Now travelling in a galaxy looking for a new adventure

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94

Slow and tactical. I really liked to /face or /stick the enemy while switching weapons manually in the inventory and keeping the other eye on the group window. After realizing that you are completely overextended in the enemies backline you should call for help or run back to your group :D

As I've been reading the dev blogs there would fortunately be no dodge or total block/avoid hostile effects abilities. Instead it sounds pretty mature and consequent. "Old school", like Mark Jacobs said.

Originally posted by boxsnd
    DAoC's combat system was perfect for RvR. No need to change it IMO.

People could cry about static ("boring") meshes, "unfair" longduration cc/buffs, /stick-command and troll berzerkers being much more stronger than elven blademasters. It was perfect. Especially pre-ToA.

• Storm_FirebladeStorm_Fireblade Member Posts: 156
    Absolutely DAOC-inspired. Slow and tactical. But not just copied of course. Time has changed and there should be some tweaks here and there. But the general direction should be towards a DAoC-system that in a much better way fits into a RvR-game. At least in my opinion.

Camelot Unchained Fanpage
    https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

Originally posted by Jostle

EDIT:
    I also really like WAR's combat. I loved action points and think it would work really well having two pools of action points, one for physical abilities and another for magical ones. Though I do think WAR could do with having more more active attacking and defending. Just a leetle bit.

Can you explain what you mean by this? not sure i follow.

SKYeXile

Can you explain what you mean by this? not sure i follow.

Sure! I think they took a step in the right direction in a lot of ways like having detaunts work in PvP, but I wouldn't mind having things like swinging your weapon or manually blocking, even if you don't have a target. I don't necessarily think that requires an entire combat system like Terra or Guild Wars 2, but it would be nice in conjunction with weapon speeds effecting your cooldown rather than simply having a greataxe and a dagger that, other than auto-attack, effectively can be swung at the same speed due to the way abilities work.

It would be neat to have styles, like in DAoC, that activated based on your weapon speed (hell, even spells could work that way with fast wands/scepter/idols and slower but more powerfull staves) but also having to actively swing them and block/parry. Even if all that was under the hood (like a big bonus to block sort of like engage) when you hit the "block" key.

Cant say im really a fan of having to block or parry myself, all those things require a fast ping to the server to play at the top level, its not ideal for an MMO setting.

SKYeXile

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142
    DAOC  combat, perhaps some WoW counter spell like mechanics, but for larger fights GW2 system is crap. WoW is really good in small scale a lot of interesting stuff can happen. But for large fights it is unusable. Also daoc had a huge varience in kill times. High RR caster on a fresh to RvR unbuffed target was abotu 2 sec kill time.. almost felt unfair: tab nuke nuke oh you are dead already(1 WoW GCD passed)?? tab one more GCD another dead or  berserker in vendo with Celerity going so much ouch
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    There's kind of a false premise involved in the poll. TTK in GW 2 is way higher than DAOC so DAOC combat is actually faster paced and more visceral. But anyway if forced to choose, I'll take the DAOC style system. The dumbed down combat system they came up with for GW 2 was not their best innovation.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Hard interupts and nasty CC.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

GW2 combat might have been better if it wasn't so clunky, halt and standstill delay in my charge abilities as melee? GTFO.

SKYeXile

Cant say im really a fan of having to block or parry myself, all those things require a fast ping to the server to play at the top level, its not ideal for an MMO setting.

I dunno, if you tweaked the timing it could work well. Just as using styles after you block/parry/dodge or your target blocked/parried/dodged worked. But I get what you're saying and I also enjoy my character being a badass because the way I built him. A middle ground would be nice.