Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What other analysts are saying...

There are dozens of reviews and previews of Neverwinter out there but after some "issues" with reviews of multiple games recently a new type of review caught my attention.

Jordan Pease is an independent stock analyst who in January added Perfect World on his list of "5 Companies You Shouldn't Invest In."    Here is what he has to specifically about Neverwinter: 

"In May, 2011 Perfect World purchased competitor developer, Cryptic Studios, and assumed control of Neverwinter, an MMORPG slated to be released in 2013. Perfect world has high hopes for the Neverwinter gaming platform, however, a large number of MMORPGs are slated to be released in 2013, many of which are more highly anticipated than Neverwinter.

In order for Neverwinter to be successful, a team of employees will need to dedicate themselves to marketing the game, providing excellent customer service, and continuously fixing identified bugs in gaming platforms. With a paltry company approval rating of 2.3 out 5.0, and little confidence in CEO Michael Yufeng Chi, the odds of Neverwinter succeeding are low."

Jordan Pease isn't alone. MSN Money rating is a little more harsh.

Perfect World Co Ltd, a micro-cap unknown style company in the consumer non-durables sector, is expected to significantly underperform the market over the next six months with very high risk.

The Street Ratings:

However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.

I could go on.

Perfect World as recently as December was considered a strong buy with potential to double your investment as analysts were talking about 100%+ return on investment as the stock price was surely going to climb.

Why the change of tune? Clearly the analysts do not believe that Neverwinter is going to be successful. These are people that think about the business side of business everyday and they are less then impressed.

When I hear that multiple classes are basically waiting in the wings to get added to the game I have to wonder if Cryptic and PWE are pondering how to Monetize them rather than add them to the game at launch. How much can they charge how do they make it possible to earn them in game but still be difficult enough that 75% of people interested in them will spend $5 or $10 on them.

The Stock Analysts reviews are enough for me to be very cautious with my dollars even more cautious then my previous experience with Cryptic Games.

Comments

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

Why wouldn't people spend 10 bucks on a class?  They do it all the time in LoL.  

The game is free.  It's a AAA title.  Analyst don't know crap.  And it's been proven over and over and over again.

/thread.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by jdnyc

The game is free.  It's a AAA title.  Analyst don't know crap.  And it's been proven over and over and over again.

/thread.

yea if the game is fun i'd happily pay $10 to unlock a new class in a game that cost me nothing to download and play

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    the game cost nothing ,no sub to worry about i myself would gladly pay to unlock my favourite class..i am willing to spend £40 on this game in total which covers the cost of a normal game i would purchase.i am well looking forward to this game..has for what other people say i,m not really interested..especially on analysts..they are not called anal-ysts for nothing.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

10 bucks says the OP is Jordan Pease, a nobody analyst on the internet...this isnt the first time this guy has been quoted here by someone who created an account just to post what he is saying.

BTW, NASDAQ concensus on PWRD stock...BUY. http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/pwrd/analyst-research based on strong SUSTAINED earings...near 400,000,000.00 all on FREE 2 PLAY GAMES.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• MishakaiMishakai Member Posts: 105

This trend of overanalyzing potential success of upcoming games really makes my head hurt. 

Why do people feel the need for a game to be successful on par with WoW in order to be something they might enjoy, while simulaneously bashing WoW for being as poplular as it is?

You know.  Once upon a time Coke re-did their formula and called it the "New Coke".  All the analyists said it was the next big thing for soday.  I tried it and couldn't stand it, aparantly so did a few million other Coke drinkers.  Now we have our old Coke back. 

Another time, I remember this new movie being made by a little known director.  All the big industry experts of the time said it was too risky to invest in, some flat out refusing to produce it.  I believe the movie was titled "Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope".

Yeah, those industry experts are always spot on.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    They lost me at 50% instanced game. Can't help thinking fantasy swtor.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I don't know what successful mean in this context but based on what I have seen and heard, this game will be yet another generic, instanced, F2P ThemePark.

It will come and be forgotten in a few months. I guess like a single player title, which is basically what the MMORPG genre has devolved back to.

Originally posted by ShakyMo

27%, 46%, 78% instanced doesn't matter to me as long as its a well made fun game. Shall see soon enough..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I dont think FUN will be the issue, I think LASTING fun will be.  Just like all Craptics games, they are great to jump in the first time and spend hours customizing your toon and enjoying the first few weeks but after that...  Things get old, you level too quick and are soon looking for other games to play.  My prediction is strong player base as the game releases with most of us checking it out.  Three month later, customer base down to 25% and introduction of more monitization such as lockboxes.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Talonsin

I dont think FUN will be the issue, I think LASTING fun will be.  Just like all Craptics games, they are great to jump in the first time and spend hours customizing your toon and enjoying the first few weeks but after that...  Things get old, you level too quick and are soon looking for other games to play.  My prediction is strong player base as the game releases with most of us checking it out.  Three month later, customer base down to 25% and introduction of more monitization such as lockboxes.

with the foundry you have potential for almost limitless content and hundreds of hours just making your own content.. Will really depend how well the system works and is implemented

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by jdnyc

/thread.

yea if the game is fun i'd happily pay $10 to unlock a new class in a game that cost me nothing to download and play

This!

I have done that with DDO. I bought a race and a class. Guild Wars 2, I bought 2 extra slots so that I can have a character slot for each class. If done right, PW and Cryptic can be successful if they set up the store properly without putting a burden on its customers. I dont care what the analysts say. Most of the crap they come up with is more opinionated than factual.

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643

with the foundry you have potential for almost limitless content and hundreds of hours just making your own content.. Will really depend how well the system works and is implemented

This^^^ 

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692

27%, 46%, 78% instanced doesn't matter to me as long as its a well made fun game. Shall see soon enough..

I agree with Aerowyn, as long as its well made and fun, I'm fine with it.  The idea of running a dungeon and seeing another party coming out would kill the entire idea of there being a Boss and/or an unopened chest full of treasure waiting for my group at the other end.  There really needs to be some instances in a DnD game, but that's just me. 

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

I am gonna be squeezing in some Neverwinter on my burnout break from EVE, if it's a better more open version of DDO (which by the looks of the combat system, graphics and general vibe I got from the videos, it is) then I'll enjoy it, DDO ran sour with me a few years back with all the "buy x content pack to access this quest" gates and back then I couldn't really afford em (did not have a credit card).

BTW: To anyone saying Cryptic games suck (Craptic? really? whoever bends names around like that should stop posting on the internet at least until their balls drop) because of lack of content... check the foundry missions especially in STO, I haven't gotten a chance lately as I've not had time for STO in quite some time but back when I did the higher rated foundry missions were really good and followed star trek canon pretty well.

also to people saying dev content > player and foundry won't keep people interested or playing.. it really depends how flexable and accessable the system is.. for example i played character created content in oblivion for years and most i enjoyed a great deal more than most of the dev's stuff same with skyrim.. Givin the right tools many people can make some great things.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    also to people saying dev content > player and foundry won't keep people interested or playing.. it really depends how flexable and accessable the system is.. for example i played character created content in oblivion for years and most i enjoyed a great deal more than most of the dev's stuff same with skyrim.. Givin the right tools many people can make some great things.

As long as character development is top notch with the foundry NW will do just fine. If it's not... well after awhile a boss is a boss is a boss.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Chief021Chief021 Member Posts: 107

There are so many variables that take place on a daily basis that can impact a stocks price... The company is in good shape and the game is going to suprise a lot of people. 

Welcome to the world of business where it's about making money... they can charge what they want for the product.   If Hershey's wanted to charge $450.99 for a chocolate bar they could.  Obviously nobody would buy the bar, so the price comes down.  The consumers demand and willingness to purchase (income levels/supply) dictactes price.

Everyone needs to just relax on monetary philosophies of gaming companies.  They have financial professionals looking at the numbers on a daily basis.  They know what they are doing... chill

A PS4 ESO guild accepting applications at http://lowlyknights.enjin.com

• huskie77huskie77 Member Posts: 354

It's always interesting seeing different views but I am afraid that the original post appears to either be a perfect example of confirmation bias or a blatant troll post with an agenda. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias

The game is good but not perfect. There are a host of issues that someone could argue as being flaws that will prevent the success of the game. Using selective quotes from analyst reviews is intentionally misleading. Furthermore, citing an independent analyst who is using questionable methods like Mr. Pease used is just tragic.

• IlayaIlaya Member UncommonPosts: 661

It is so funny....rly.

Everytime a new Game will see the Light the same thing (nice word for shit) starts. But i feel as we see more games commin, it goes even worse. What does Analysts say, what does the Community say, F2p is shit, F2p is good, monthly pay is hit, monthly pay is good, Theme Park is shit, Sandbox rocks, Pachter says it will earn 39782890472374 Billions in the first weeks, Publisher XX is shit because his CS does not answered the ticket to my pleasure and on and on and on......

That makes me dizzy. *yawn*

A game, no matter which one, depends on just taste, not just features. Thats it. And as taste is (luckily) different to freaking everybody, whats everybody is mourning about? How dare can ppl be to judge about other pplz taste tho?

Man......

• officialfiveofficialfive Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Its been almost six (6) years, where the OP been? You have nerves I give you that, LOL.
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by the_goldy_go

There are dozens of reviews and previews of Neverwinter out there but after some "issues" with reviews of multiple games recently a new type of review caught my attention.

Jordan Pease is an independent stock analyst who in January added Perfect World on his list of "5 Companies You Shouldn't Invest In."    Here is what he has to specifically about Neverwinter: 

"In May, 2011 Perfect World purchased competitor developer, Cryptic Studios, and assumed control of Neverwinter, an MMORPG slated to be released in 2013. Perfect world has high hopes for the Neverwinter gaming platform, however, a large number of MMORPGs are slated to be released in 2013, many of which are more highly anticipated than Neverwinter.

In order for Neverwinter to be successful, a team of employees will need to dedicate themselves to marketing the game, providing excellent customer service, and continuously fixing identified bugs in gaming platforms. With a paltry company approval rating of 2.3 out 5.0, and little confidence in CEO Michael Yufeng Chi, the odds of Neverwinter succeeding are low."

Perfect World Co Ltd, a micro-cap unknown style company in the consumer non-durables sector, is expected to significantly underperform the market over the next six months with very high risk.

The Street Ratings:

However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including deteriorating net income and a generally disappointing performance in the stock itself.

I could go on.

Perfect World as recently as December was considered a strong buy with potential to double your investment as analysts were talking about 100%+ return on investment as the stock price was surely going to climb.

Why the change of tune? Clearly the analysts do not believe that Neverwinter is going to be successful. These are people that think about the business side of business everyday and they are less then impressed.

When I hear that multiple classes are basically waiting in the wings to get added to the game I have to wonder if Cryptic and PWE are pondering how to Monetize them rather than add them to the game at launch. How much can they charge how do they make it possible to earn them in game but still be difficult enough that 75% of people interested in them will spend $5 or $10 on them.

The Stock Analysts reviews are enough for me to be very cautious with my dollars even more cautious then my previous experience with Cryptic Games.

Investors are the ones responsible for the current state of MMO's.  They're the ones who forced every AAA game since WOW to be as much a WOW clone as possible.

Is it possible that these people have learned and understand the MMO market better now?  Yes?  Do i believe they have changed and understand the MMO market better? No.

I doubt Neverwinter is going to be a run away success, I dont think any of us expect it to be.  I think it will be a niche success.  It will probably maintain less than 400k subs and be a reasonably profitable venture for the company.  All that matters is that it makes money.  Investors are concerned with it making GOBS of money, hand over fist.  They're not interested in a company that makes a  7% profit margin on their product.

So, really this entire post is pointless unless you're an investor looking to invest in a company.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by Hrimnir
    Originally posted by the_goldy_go

The Street Ratings:

I could go on.

Investors are the ones responsible for the current state of MMO's.  They're the ones who forced every AAA game since WOW to be as much a WOW clone as possible.

Is it possible that these people have learned and understand the MMO market better now?  Yes?  Do i believe they have changed and understand the MMO market better? No.

I doubt Neverwinter is going to be a run away success, I dont think any of us expect it to be.  I think it will be a niche success.  It will probably maintain less than 400k subs and be a reasonably profitable venture for the company.  All that matters is that it makes money.  Investors are concerned with it making GOBS of money, hand over fist.  They're not interested in a company that makes a  7% profit margin on their product.

So, really this entire post is pointless unless you're an investor looking to invest in a company.

It doesn't have subs so... It won't maintain any subs lol.

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Sorry this story reeks of the stop Neverwinter facebook campaign that is the joke of the community right now.  With that being said, anyone who doubts there are only 5 classes first listen to Totabiscuit's NWO press dungeon run and towards the end Zeke of Cryptic talks about how other classes are actively being worked on right now. 

The nwe have Datamined evidence to support new classes are coming before launch.

Classes
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Archer_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Controller_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Devoted_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Greatweapon_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Guardian_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Scourge_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Trickster_Selected.Wtex

Alt Icons
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Cleric_Devotedcleric_Selected.Wt ex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Fighter_Guardian_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Rogue_Trickster_Selected.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Paths/Class_Icon_Player_Wizard_Controlwizard_Selected.Wt ex

Races
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Dwarf_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Dwarf_Nw_Female.Wtex

Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Drow_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Drow_Nw_Female.Wtex

Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Elf_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Elf_Nw_Female.Wtex

Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Halfelf_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Halfelf_Nw_Female.Wtex

Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Human_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Human_Nw_Female.Wtex

Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Tiefling_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Tiefling_Nw_Female.Wtex

Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Dragonborn_Nw_Male.Wtex
    Texture_Library/Ui/Charactercreation/Race/Race_Icon_Dragonborn_Nw_Female.Wtex

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

same here the only thing that lost me in GW2 was their november patch which damaged the game and Anet's credibility. instancing can be done well

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by itgrowls

same here the only thing that lost me in GW2 was their november patch which damaged the game and Anet's credibility. instancing can be done well

Loading screens in NWO were rather short, so I don't mind instancing, for now.

About fantasy SWTOR, it makes me wonder, how well would SWTOR do if EA implemented a decent F2P model, similar to NWO?