Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Neverwinter: The Jewel of the North Shines

Comments

• DrakadenDrakaden Member UncommonPosts: 138
    Thanks Bill & company for the stream video, i didn't go through the whole 2 hours of it, but a little over half way through it, it looks like a fun game, i'm looking forward to play it when it's open to public.
    I just wonder if there will be dialogue types in instances, right now we seen some fast text bubbles, though story wise i wonder if you can encounter npcs you can speak with and make choices.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Instances... sigh. 200 Dollar just to play Drow... :puke: And then this hidious look. Sorry, I am a D&D nut and like the Faerun setting of 4e, but why not make a real MMO with open world? And why AGAIN these horribly expensive greed?

Leaves a bad feeling...

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    GW2 and TERA for me possibly try out TESO while waiting for EQNEXT. The only thing that interests me at all with this game is that it appears somewhat based off 4th edition and not the dull 3.5 I was so burnt out on.
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

This will never be like the much loved Bioware Version but I'm sure PW/Cryptic will try to cash in on it. Like one very false PR statement said "Get ready for the next part of the Neverwinter Saga" ..that is BS! Things I will have to know before I shell out for a 'Founders Pack'...

1.) Solo-bility, you can't always be (or want to be) in a party.

2.) Are the 'pets' cosmetic or will they block/fight for you.

3.) The hotkey bar is pathetic in the videos, I dont want another Diablo 3...

4.) Cursor key controls for those of with low dexterity in the left hand (WASD alternative)

5.) The 'Foundry' better be a hellva lot better than the P.O.S in Star Trek Online

just a few...

• SperowsSperows Member Posts: 11
    Can't wait for this game, looks amazing. Don't care about major things, it is the little things that gets me going ^_^ Slowly building my character and feeling the game as it is. ^^
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,824

"One of the things that tends to happen around the time most MMOs begin beta testing is that people often forget that the true purpose of beta testing is exactly that: To test the game. No game in beta is a finished product and it’s always wise to go into any experience with an open mind about kinks that will crop up."

Suzie does realise that players stopped playing beta for thsoe reasons about ten years ago? They don't forget, they have no intention of doing any testing in the first place. :)

Today beta serves three purposes. To be first before your mates to play the game. To see if you like it and want to play after launch. To bitch about what you want to see in the game on the forums and say 'I told you so' after launch.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

We're told that in th Foundry, you have this level of customization for each NPC you place too.

Crap, now I am never going to finish anything!  NWN2 gave you some of this, and I made some really bad ass looking NPC's (as well as doing things like turning dwarfs into hill-giants), but it sucks up so much time!

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Games that waste time on over the top character customization usually lack in other areas.  I still do not have a lot of confidence that Cryptic can produce a decent game.  Every effort to date has been mediocre at best.  PW is known for horrible item shops too, can't believe that marriage will help the game either.  

Lauding a game from companies with such bad track records is questionable.  This game will most probably go down in flames once people find out their pocket books are being squeezed in a big way.

• traplinextraplinex Member Posts: 14

of course it's heavily instanced, it's a cryptic game, that's signature cryptic, loading screens and small areas.

I don't get too angry about it, I play STO and in some cases the instance routhe allows of more story type missions.

When I play a cryptic game I expect these things:

1. instances and loading screens

2. skeletal support for pvp 

3. lots of customization in the character creator

4. janky movement/combat

5. very little content after hitting level cap.

• RagnarokWarRagnarokWar Member UncommonPosts: 35
    Originally posted by Alx_Starfire

This will never be like the much loved Bioware Version but I'm sure PW/Cryptic will try to cash in on it. Like one very false PR statement said "Get ready for the next part of the Neverwinter Saga" ..that is BS! Things I will have to know before I shell out for a 'Founders Pack'...

1.) Solo-bility, you can't always be (or want to be) in a party.

2.) Are the 'pets' cosmetic or will they block/fight for you.

3.) The hotkey bar is pathetic in the videos, I dont want another Diablo 3...

4.) Cursor key controls for those of with low dexterity in the left hand (WASD alternative)

5.) The 'Foundry' better be a hellva lot better than the P.O.S in Star Trek Online

just a few...

1: You can solo

2: Pets will fight for you.

3: Hotkeys are designed to be small, so you don't have 20 - 30 different skills. It's been likened to MOBA games, a handful of really effective skills vs. having every skill under the sun.

4: No idea, you can probably change your keys though.

5: Whine whine cry cry.

<--- TotalHalibut's review of the press beta. Watch it, listen to it, you should get all your answers.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132

The more I see of this game the more it looks like a pile of manure.

You want a real Dungeons & Dragons game? Try out (the high res client) of Dungeons & Dragons Online instead.

Neverwinter looks like a steaming pile that too many paid shills are "oooh!"ing and "aaaah"ing over.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I'm also pretty concerned how far Perfect World's cash shop will reach into this game. They basically made STO a money bilking greed fest.

Here's to hoping they follow the same model they used for Raiderz.

• BloodyVikingBloodyViking Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Originally posted by SuperNick

I'm also pretty concerned how far Perfect World's cash shop will reach into this game. They basically made STO a money bilking greed fest.

Anyone thinking they will -not- be milking this title for everything they can has got to be out of their minds. This is business. They want a return of investment and without a subscription model, cash shop is what they will use, and use hard.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

Anyone thinking they will -not- be milking this title for everything they can has got to be out of their minds. This is business. They want a return of investment and without a subscription model, cash shop is what they will use, and use hard.

Well, gamers these days aren't putting up with pay-to-win or pay-to-play models. Companies realise this and the "crappy age" of F2P gaming is thankfully almost gone.

There's a few things that will severely impact NWO, if Perfect World choose to:

1. Limiting how often you can use the foundry with those stupid coin type things. Want to run or create more dungeons? Buy some coins!
    2. Limiting how often you can run dungeons and/or get loot without buying more coins.
    3. Crafting and character upgrades. If they limit this by coins, again, doomed.
    Now, there are good F2P models out there that work. New races, new skins, weapon models, character slots, bank space and other little bits that don't completely interefere wtih your gameplay.

I played a F2P game called C9 recently - I quit because after a while I physically couldn't play the game anymore without paying. I had to "buy" stamina to enjoy more dungeon runs which was 95% of the game.
  • BennuBennu Member UncommonPosts: 46
    Anyone have information on the gear treadmill in this game?
  • LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Will the game have PVP at all, or are we looking at THE pve-MMO? Since I love PVP alot, and not so much PVE, I have held back on Neverwinter. But I do love the idea with The Foundry.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Originally posted by BloodyViking

Well, gamers these days aren't putting up with pay-to-win or pay-to-play models. Companies realise this and the "crappy age" of F2P gaming is thankfully almost gone.

There's a few things that will severely impact NWO, if Perfect World choose to:

1. Limiting how often you can use the foundry with those stupid coin type things. Want to run or create more dungeons? Buy some coins!
    2. Limiting how often you can run dungeons and/or get loot without buying more coins.
    3. Crafting and character upgrades. If they limit this by coins, again, doomed.
    Now, there are good F2P models out there that work. New races, new skins, weapon models, character slots, bank space and other little bits that don't completely interefere wtih your gameplay.

I played a F2P game called C9 recently - I quit because after a while I physically couldn't play the game anymore without paying. I had to "buy" stamina to enjoy more dungeon runs which was 95% of the game.

Get your coins ready.  When a game starts our f2p, it tells me they feel they can't compete in the pay to play marketplace, hence the game is inferior to start with.  In fact PW games never have subscriptions at all, it is all cash shop based.  The item shop could be less intrusive than we expect, if so the game has a chance.  Past history says that is a faint hope.

• Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Well, from what I have heard it will be WASD + Mouse Up/Down ONLY (no remap) for movement, and there will be no TAB targeting, You move your mouse over the target and then use one of the few hotkeys allowed. So a group of monsters will be real 'fun'..

Time to start looking yet agin for another game..

• GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Member Posts: 374

Suzie, I love your articles here at MMORPG as I do those belonging to the other writers here as well, but for the love of God and all that is holy, MMORPG seriously needs to buck up the money and hire an editor already?!

Having to re-read sections of articles due to spelling and grammatical mistakes very much detracts from the article IMHO and make no mistake, this article had a few possible stumbling points for its reader(s) -- a couple of the errors are so blatant that they can even be picked up simply by copying and pasting your article in Word for goodness sakes.

In addition, I'd also like to add, that to some, errors can have a great website like this one looking a bit "Bush League".

As a writer myself, I understand that even the most skilled of us have their off days and that is precisely what editors/proofreaders are for.

So, tell your boss to stop being so damn cheap and hire a darn editor already!

I mean this with the utmost sincerity. I really enjoy this site; however, far too often when reading articles, I see a number of spelling and grammatical errors...it drives me batty.

Aside from the errors causing my rant, it was a very interesting article...can't wait to give the game a go myself.

Your fail comment, failed.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Games that waste time on over the top character customization usually lack in other areas.  I still do not have a lot of confidence that Cryptic can produce a decent game.  Every effort to date has been mediocre at best.  PW is known for horrible item shops too, can't believe that marriage will help the game either.  

Lauding a game from companies with such bad track records is questionable.  This game will most probably go down in flames once people find out their pocket books are being squeezed in a big way.

The article is rather funny, the customization is pretty standard fair, the sliders don't even make a huge difference between min/max settings and the options you do have I found limited. The build customization is very rigid even for 4E, hell you don't even roll stats.

They instead give you a choice between a few arrays. Hopefully they will change this.

I like Neverwinter and will play it but the person that wrote this article is wearing rose colored glasses.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476

I like this write up, it really lets those that are on the fence about buying the $200.00 pack if its really worth it. Sounds like the combat is a ton of fun, still not enough classes/sub-classes.

I am really worried about investing money in a F2P game, I wish I knew for 100% sure how they plan on doing it, history shows us they will make it so you have to spend money to do everyday things that you shouldnt have to pay extra money for. If this is the case I will not even buy the game at all even tho it has reallly nice combat to it.

I might end up holding out for ESO and hope to the MMO gods they are not stupid enought to follow this trend.

• RhoReaveRhoReave Member UncommonPosts: 2

When reading through your article I could almost not believe we played the same game. Character customization? Half the sllders did almost nothing. I could not change the basic face of the character for the life of me. But even worse - the classes are all cookie-cutter in the worst possible way. Rolling the dice for stats? No you didn't. Depending on the classes you play you pick between 2 or 3 prerolled options. Advancement in levels does not really give any options to customize characters either. The only choices you have is with feats and those have very little effect. (Not real D&D feats for those wondering)

Armor in the game ALL looks the same. Weapons? The classes I tried all had only ONE weapon choice, albeit the weapons get better stats as you level. I took the trickster rogue to lvl 30 (cap for beta) and only found daggers to use. NO other weapons.

IMHO, this game will be dead in a year unless they work hard at giving players more options. This is supposed to be D&D!

On the plus side - the fast combat was enjoyable. Zipping around with the rogue was a lot of fun.  I am just not sure it will keep anyone's attention for more than a couple of weeks. 

• HellidolHellidol Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Originally posted by RhoReave

When reading through your article I could almost not believe we played the same game. Character customization? Half the sllders did almost nothing. I could not change the basic face of the character for the life of me. But even worse - the classes are all cookie-cutter in the worst possible way. Rolling the dice for stats? No you didn't. Depending on the classes you play you pick between 2 or 3 prerolled options. Advancement in levels does not really give any options to customize characters either. The only choices you have is with feats and those have very little effect. (Not real D&D feats for those wondering)

Armor in the game ALL looks the same. Weapons? The classes I tried all had only ONE weapon choice, albeit the weapons get better stats as you level. I took the trickster rogue to lvl 30 (cap for beta) and only found daggers to use. NO other weapons.

IMHO, this game will be dead in a year unless they work hard at giving players more options. This is supposed to be D&D!

On the plus side - the fast combat was enjoyable. Zipping around with the rogue was a lot of fun.  I am just not sure it will keep anyone's attention for more than a couple of weeks. 

this is what i was afraid of, thanks for that sir. I will NOT be buying this game because of the limited options and it is F2P, i really really wanted this one to not be the typical F2P MMO that everyone else comes out with. Our only hope is ESO now.....

• LaurhidilLaurhidil Member Posts: 1

I played the Beta.

I was not so impressed by the character creation options (appearance). Maybe there are not enough head models. But I have seen worse.

The game is fun to play (an important criteria of course !). But it has only a light D&D flavor. No Alignment. Few classes (at the moment, this is only Beta). Diablo-like powers. All pieces of equipment look the same for a specific class (even though you can dye stuff). Something I found annoying is the way thieves run (sneaking-like). As as they all run the same way, it's like wearing a sign saying "I'm a Thief!").

I didn't find the graphics so amazing (but remember again it is an MMO and a Beta) but they are not bad either. A bit too cartoony for my taste.

I din't see a vast variety of quests (fetch this, kill this guy) but again it is unfortunately often the case in MMOs. And I didn't go further than level 17 (Cleric) and 12 (Thief). I found them rather easy, not too challenging. To die you have to do something quite stupid like running from one group of ennemies toward another group. And even then sometimes you can survive this type of mistake. Sometimes also other players will give you a hand if they see you in a bad spot.

The UI worked pretty well for me in combat (it is almost exclusively keyboard based). I'm a bit less convinced by having to switch to another UI (mouse based) to access character, inventory, etc. You have to use ALT or shortcuts and close these windows to go back to the "action" part. It's workable but a bit annoying.

Overall if you want a faithful D&D experience, forget it !

If you just want to have fun in a game with some light D&D flavor you should give it a try.

• OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    A F2P mmo asks for money so you can buy your way into beta. I will wait till release thanks and play for free.