Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2: Hyped at first? What about now?

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

im 28 years old...im thinking the people that think it is still awesome are the people that basically are in their teens or  havent had too much experience with mmorpgs... u have to think us vets are burnt out of the genre...we been fucked over so much into buying mmorpgs and downloading them that we have a hard shell toward any mmorpg game that goes live. Any mmorpg that was released in 2011- 2012 would have been awesome if it was released like in 2003-2005 timeframe. its kinda like  from what i hear from junkies etc is like getting high. the first high is always the best...after the first you just try to chase that feeling again....its what i goin through with mmorpgs...i dont think none will hold me for longer than 6 months...

FYI gw2 was a good lil rush at first.

Sorry kid... those of us in the... older than you... crowd are still having a blast with the game.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

im 28 years old...im thinking the people that think it is still awesome are the people that basically are in their teens or  havent had too much experience with mmorpgs... u have to think us vets are burnt out of the genre...we been fucked over so much into buying mmorpgs and downloading them that we have a hard shell toward any mmorpg game that goes live. Any mmorpg that was released in 2011- 2012 would have been awesome if it was released like in 2003-2005 timeframe. its kinda like  from what i hear from junkies etc is like getting high. the first high is always the best...after the first you just try to chase that feeling again....its what i goin through with mmorpgs...i dont think none will hold me for longer than 6 months...

I would think you are 100% wrong, the folks that still enjoy playing a non-raider casual game probably were vets by the time WoW arrived on the scene ...by the time Vanilla WoW hit its peak most old school players were just burnt out with carrot on the stick rat race mmo's had become .What you are explaining is the post-WOW puppy love syndrome felt by the twitch society you live in ...doing anything for longer than 6 months will be quite a feat , the rush is just moving on never stopping to smell the roses anywhere along the trip . Oh you can justify moving on no doubt " I’m thinking the people that think it is still awesome are the people that basically are in their teens or havent had too much experience with mmorpgs " with thoughts like these you can justify to yourself your inability to cope with the idea that some folks enjoy GW2

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by mikahr

Im a "vet" (older then you) been playing since 2003 since "old school" MMOs and GW2 is breath of fresh air after a lot of stale games (aka WoW clones).

But then my backround is probably different then the rest, DAOC, L2, EvE, got into LOTRO but because of lore and awesome game world Turbine made (spent most of time in EM anyeay ;P ), and i never really got into addiction part as part of EQ/WoW conditioning so i dont have such problems.

And no, i dont long for "good ol' days" because i can still play DAOC, L2, WoW, EQ and remind myself how really bad they are. (and i did if you wonder). And no, not because of graphics or such things (i still play Fallout 1/2 and think those are best RPGs ever made) but because their core issues and design which is, thank the heavens, abandoned for good reasons.

Quite the contrary, i think "EQ/WoW generation" and teens (and people that didnt grow up yet...or have some....other....problems) are quite opposite of what you paint them. GW2 community is surprisingly mature and mostly devoid of those.

A new version of Ultima Online with topnotch graphics ohh yes baby I want that.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    I returned to Dark Age of Camelot while looking forward for Camelot Unchained and TESO. GuildWars 2 is a pure disappointment and just overcasualized.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Originally posted by Torgrim

A new version of Ultima Online with topnotch graphics ohh yes baby I want that.

I would be happy with just the new SA client and Renaissance gameplay. I might even be ready to endure the T2A ganker-era, if the population was healthy.

Alas, it will never happen.

Originally posted by aylwynn
    I returned to Dark Age of Camelot while looking forward for Camelot Unchained and TESO. GuildWars 2 is a pure disappointment and just overcasualized.

How exactly is it "over-casualized"? The only real change in that regards is the removal of the chance to screw other people over. They've built the game around having fun with other people instead of at the expense of other people.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• aylwynnaylwynn Member Posts: 94
    Originally posted by Volkon

How exactly is it "over-casualized"? The only real change in that regards is the removal of the chance to screw other people over. They've built the game around having fun with other people instead of at the expense of other people.

You don't have to look for a decent grou setup at all. I've been doing story mode and explorable mode dungeons without even typing one word nor even reading something from my groupmates which just spammed "lfg ta" and so on in the broadchat. I won't give Fractals of the Mist any try.

To be honest ... I like to prepare for a decent groupsetup with coordination. But you cannot because they've taken roles and don't have any replacement. The whole GW2 system is not cosequent, its more like "feel free to do everything without [b]wasting[/b] too much time." I realized at that point that risk for rewards is much more fun.
    To be honest, leveling was the only fun thing ... Because it was easy and I wasn't really interested into leveling pretty long.

Even in World vs World the World scaling AND your personal WvW-killcounter for achievements is totally insignificient because once you hit with one of your plenty AoE skills the enemy zerg you'll get plenty killcounts ... While you did nothing. My bank was full of honormarks which I actually didn't really deserve. The whole game focuses on AoE skills thus you don't really have to think about what target you pick. It doesn't even matter if I stun+burst damage a warrior or an elementalist because I cannot expect really hard and class-specific counters. Just the mesmer is pretty dangerous due to confusion stacking. But thats all.

You cannot develop a game where you don't piss off one playerbase. GuildWars 2 is - along with League of Legends and Dota 2 - just one more game for some months which doesn't bind you at all. Most players I've saw on Europe servers just login their solo class, follow the WvW zerg, kill a dragon and logout after one hour.

You don't have to invest much time to max-out your character like in DAoC, Warhammer Online or even World of Warcraft. Its really easy to get your exotic armor and some runes. I want more risk and thus more challange in MMORPG like in the past.

You don't have to look for a decent grou setup at all. I've been doing story mode and explorable mode dungeons without even typing one word nor even reading something from my groupmates which just spammed "lfg ta" and so on in the broadchat. I won't give Fractals of the Mist any try.

To be honest ... I like to prepare for a decent groupsetup with coordination. But you cannot because they've taken roles and don't have any replacement. The whole GW2 system is not cosequent, its more like "feel free to do everything without [b]wasting[/b] too much time." I realized at that point that risk for rewards is much more fun.
    To be honest, leveling was the only fun thing ... Because it was easy and I wasn't really interested into leveling pretty long.

Even in World vs World the World scaling AND your personal WvW-killcounter for achievements is totally insignificient because once you hit with one of your plenty AoE skills the enemy zerg you'll get plenty killcounts ... While you did nothing. My bank was full of honormarks which I actually didn't really deserve. The whole game focuses on AoE skills thus you don't really have to think about what target you pick. It doesn't even matter if I stun+burst damage a warrior or an elementalist because I cannot expect really hard and class-specific counters. Just the mesmer is pretty dangerous due to confusion stacking. But thats all.

You cannot develop a game where you don't piss off one playerbase. GuildWars 2 is - along with League of Legends and Dota 2 - just one more game for some months which doesn't bind you at all. Most players I've saw on Europe servers just login their solo class, follow the WvW zerg, kill a dragon and logout after one hour.

You don't have to invest much time to max-out your character like in DAoC, Warhammer Online or even World of Warcraft. Its really easy to get your exotic armor and some runes. I want more risk and thus more challange in MMORPG like in the past.

There is one tenet that they strove for when creating the game, and I feel they nailed it pretty well... easy to learn, difficult to master. Like Fractals... the first few levels are fairly easy... get your feet wet. But once the levels begin to climb you notice the difficulty begin to shoot up. Get into Team Speak or the like, chat with others and face challenging content... yeah, it's fun. You're right that you don't need to look for a specific group make up, but you do need a good group of people that know their profession and aren't mashing buttons. But as you say, it won't appeal to everyone. No game will. 

Oh, role btw have been replaced. Look at your skills, the primary, secondary and even for some tertiary effects. Learning to use the right skills at the right time replaces the archaic roles system. Everyone takes a bigger part in the combat instead of being simply a tank, a healer or a dps type.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

There is one tenet that they strove for when creating the game, and I feel they nailed it pretty well... easy to learn, difficult to master. Like Fractals... the first few levels are fairly easy... get your feet wet. But once the levels begin to climb you notice the difficulty begin to shoot up. Get into Team Speak or the like, chat with others and face challenging content... yeah, it's fun. You're right that you don't need to look for a specific group make up, but you do need a good group of people that know their profession and aren't mashing buttons. But as you say, it won't appeal to everyone. No game will. 

Oh, role btw have been replaced. Look at your skills, the primary, secondary and even for some tertiary effects. Learning to use the right skills at the right time replaces the archaic roles system. Everyone takes a bigger part in the combat instead of being simply a tank, a healer or a dps type.

Challenge is there, what isnt there are uber rewards in a model some games in the past conditioned people.

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131

It was really hard-core sitting on the bank of the hill whatching a chanter pull the fin's for 5 straight hours ....between three or four rums and the boredom I'd fall of my chair a couple of times a night

• nikolaitnikolait Member Posts: 5

The game just need one major change in WvWvW and some small changes for PvE and we'll see all of that this year. 

It's a new game and like every new game just need time to take a direction. Everybody who spam and hate this game to know even the worst advertisement is ad and stop flame all forums. I see the new generations of MMO players are just haters, they hate all new games and style - GW2 sux , TERA /TSW,SWTOR/ sux  and alot  more. Before realese everybody says:  "The game ll be the best ever made!!!", after that  "The games is crap".. 

In future we'll see that point with TESO cuz this game is overhyped allready... 

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by Bad.dog

It was really hard-core sitting on the bank of the hill whatching a chanter pull the fin's for 5 straight hours ....between three or four rums and the boredom I'd fall of my chair a couple of times a night

Yah, epicness of endless camping of the same spot with same mindnumbing pulls for week(s) just to gain one level cant be put in words.

Cant believe that some people want that back.

To put it in perspective: imagine that you have to farm grubs in GW2 on same spot few hours a day for a week just to get a level. It certanly can be done, just give miniscule xp per kill. Suddenly GW2 would be this "deep awesome game" ....not lol

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    put it like this...got the game at launch...played till maybe mid october. started back on the winterday event. quit again about 3 weeks ago. logged in last week after reading a new story in the wayfarer (snowarea). went there and put together some signs and collected some dog tags or something. i was like where the story i dont know wtf im really doing. then they said its a prelude only...thought a prelude suppose to ya know have some story to it to get me interested. but ohhh well..as long as they dont release an expansion ill log in from time to time to see whats up...
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    put it like this...got the game at launch...played till maybe mid october. started back on the winterday event. quit again about 3 weeks ago. logged in last week after reading a new story in the wayfarer (snowarea). went there and put together some signs and collected some dog tags or something. i was like where the story i dont know wtf im really doing. then they said its a prelude only...thought a prelude suppose to ya know have some story to it to get me interested. but ohhh well..as long as they dont release an expansion ill log in from time to time to see whats up...

I wasn't too impressed with the preluge either. However, it does hint (not so subtley) at the story that is to come, if you bother to read the text.

Unfortunately, unless you really wanted the title, there was no real reason to login for the prelude itself. The bulk of the update was more to fix bugs, modify some of the UI, fix problems with fractals, and implement a first pass of the culling fix.

• fundayzfundayz Member Posts: 463
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    Originally posted by fs23otm

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

hehe okay sure and McDonalds makes the best hamburgers too.  Parts of GW2 were good but to many game breaking design decisions to make this game feel like anything close to a gameworld.  Its a decent multiplayer game though.

Okay, please point to another themepark MMO that feels more like a "gameworld". Seriously please, because I sure can't.

The immersion factor in GW2 is bigger than any themepark MMO to date and even most sandbox ones too, simply because of the detail that has been put into everything from a stream's trickle to the inscriptions on NPC tombstones to weather naffecting mob spawns.

If you don't see it then you are just not paying close enough attention. Just a small anecdote to illustrate:

I was killing elementals when I noticed that some veterans were dropping green-quality trophies worth a few silver each. I was on my way to vendoring them when I bumped into some interactable boiling lava; next thing I know my hearts had been thrown in the lava and a Champion Elemental burst out and started a group event. I called out to the zone and 3 other players ended up helping me beat this champion which I had basically summoned unknowingly, it was awesome.

This was followed by an event to protect an Asuran krewe while they simultaniously operated three lasers to stabilize a volcano, which actually caused a Champion Destroyer to emerge from the lava that gathered about 15 players total. The whole series of events and real NPC actions made the world feel alive.

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    Originally posted by fundayz

GW2 is still the best MMO on the market... and will remain that way until possibly ESO. 

hehe okay sure and McDonalds makes the best hamburgers too.  Parts of GW2 were good but to many game breaking design decisions to make this game feel like anything close to a gameworld.  Its a decent multiplayer game though.

Okay, please point to another themepark MMO that feels more like a "gameworld". Seriously please, because I sure can't.

The immersion factor in GW2 is bigger than any themepark MMO to date and even most sandbox ones too, simply because of the detail that has been put into everything from a stream's trickle to the inscriptions on NPC tombstones to weather naffecting mob spawns.

If you don't see it then you are just not paying close enough attention. Just a small anecdote to illustrate:

I was killing elementals when I noticed that some veterans were dropping green-quality trophies worth a few silver each. I was on my way to vendoring them when I bumped into some interactable boiling lava; next thing I know my hearts had been thrown in the lava and a Champion Elemental burst out and started a group event. I called out to the zone and 3 other players ended up helping me beat this champion which I had basically summoned unknowingly, it was awesome.

This was followed by an event to protect an Asuran krewe while they simultaniously operated three lasers to stabilize a volcano, which actually caused a Champion Destroyer to emerge from the lava that gathered about 15 players total. The whole series of events and real NPC actions made the world feel alive.

world of warcraft feels more like a gameworld lol......and the monsters are spread out better too...started out as human and the immersion was definetly there...to me it feels like the people of divinity reach got there damn heads in the clouds and the rest of the world is struggling to survive.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

world of warcraft feels more like a gameworld lol......and the monsters are spread out better too...started out as human and the immersion was definetly there...to me it feels like the people of divinity reach got there damn heads in the clouds and the rest of the world is struggling to survive.

Yeah, nothing like to read "we are under attack by the orcs" and everyone is standing, including the orcs.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

If by gameworld you mean "dead, static world where nothing happens at all, even when players are there" then you're spot on. I prefer though a gameworld where the world is going on with or without you. Events trigger and process without interaction from people. Simply passing through an area, or disturbing something you shouldn't, or a myriad of things can trigger events as well and bring zones to life.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by fundayz

I be trying to figure out why do people get drunk then come post on the forums, I don't digg that kind of stuff at all.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

OP, you shouldn't have mentioned WoW in your post. GW2 fanbois are most obnoxius players around.

Well, GW2 is no different that any other title out there. Hype at first, people buy it, see it's nothing different, quit either GW2 or genre allthogether. Genre as a whole is in decline because it lacks inovation (please don't start what GW2 does is revolutionary because anyone that played anything else knows it really is not. People tend to forget what that word, revolutionary, actually means, but that's another topic to discuss). Game gets hyped to hell, fails at delivering, people quit. It is same old story since the beginning of MMOs. Except the hype is a lot worse nowadays.

As I said i my previous posts, GW2 devs should've really picked their words more carefully, as they said a while ago they are gunning for the WoWs place. If you are in that kind of thing, competition, WoW has more subs than GW1 and GW2 together have players, so it didn't only beat one B2P title, but two. But then again, if you are enjoying your game why the hell would you care about that. It goes without saying if GW2 had 15$ subscription or if WoW went F2P that would be just unfair.

With 2.2mil copies sold (now probably slightly more), which was the only thing that was announce since the beginning of GW2, and with average retention rate of a MMO of 30-35%, I believe it's safe to say GW2 has plenty of players.

Edit: Just to clarify, GW2 was not fastest selling anything, MoP sold 3mil copies in the 1st week, which was the last week of fiscal quarter, number probably got a bit higher, and just dissapointment when people claim GW2 is more of a world because it for more adventureous teleporting all over the place and not having mounts. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

• BeelzebobbieBeelzebobbie Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by iamthekiller

Well I think it's safe to say it didn't kill WOW like some claimed it would. I personally played for a month or so and got an ele to lvl 80..I did all the dungeons once or twice and started pvping..I did that for a couple weeks before I realized it was really boring and not fun. I haven't played since and that was couple months ago...

I went back to WOW after a really long break..like since wrath release and I was actually pleased with what I found. I think Pandaland alone is better then GW2 in it's entirety....I realize thats probably not a popular opinion but it's mine.

That being said, what could bring me back to the world of Tyria? Honestly nothing short of a blumpkin from the devs...

Its seems to me like GW2 just wasn't for you, sure the hype of this game was HUGE and many people thought it would crush WOW. This didn't happend and I never thought it would. 

I don't think anything can crush WOW but blizzard it self, many people have put so much time into the game and it's characters that they don't want to give that up and who can blame them. Although everybody is saying now that GW2 is crap and that no one is playing it well thats not true. 

I took a break from GW2 and played alot of counter strike which I also love but logged on GW2 again and there are lots of players I had fun, really fun. 

GW2 is a game for me now like WOW was a long time ago for me. I love GW2, I can never go back to kill 10 rats and return to me questing cause I think thats boring but thats just me. The only thing that will kill WOW is WOW2 if it ever should come. 

For me WOW is to old, I don't lke the graphics anymore but I must say still sometimes I just have to logon and play for a hour or so but no more then I am sick of it. 

The hardcore group of WOW will never leave the game and why should they, they are good at the game, they have a good guild and friends there. If all my friends still played WOW I would still play it aswell but they dont and neither do I. 

I don't know why all of us so desperatly are waiting for a game to kill WOW, can't we all just find our own game and enjoy it? 

It doesn't matter if there are 100 servers online with 20000 people on every server or if you play I game with only 1 server and 20000 on that server you still play with the same amount of people. 

I end with this, if WOW would never have been released until now do any of you think there would be 10 million players on the game?

Originally posted by fixif

OP, you shouldn't have mentioned WoW in your post. GW2 fanbois are most obnoxius players around.

Well, GW2 is no different that any other title out there. Hype at first, people buy it, see it's nothing different, quit either GW2 or genre allthogether. Genre as a whole is in decline because it lacks inovation (please don't start what GW2 does is revolutionary because anyone that played anything else knows it really is not. People tend to forget what that word, revolutionary, actually means, but that's another topic to discuss). Game gets hyped to hell, fails at delivering, people quit. It is same old story since the beginning of MMOs. Except the hype is a lot worse nowadays.

As I said i my previous posts, GW2 devs should've really picked their words more carefully, as they said a while ago they are gunning for the WoWs place. If you are in that kind of thing, competition, WoW has more subs than GW1 and GW2 together have players, so it didn't only beat one B2P title, but two. But then again, if you are enjoying your game why the hell would you care about that. It goes without saying if GW2 had 15$ subscription or if WoW went F2P that would be just unfair.

With 2.2mil copies sold (now probably slightly more), which was the only thing that was announce since the beginning of GW2, and with average retention rate of a MMO of 30-35%, I believe it's safe to say GW2 has plenty of players.

Edit: Just to clarify, GW2 was not fastest selling anything, MoP sold 3mil copies in the 1st week, which was the last week of fiscal quarter, number probably got a bit higher, and just dissapointment when people claim GW2 is more of a world because it for more adventureous teleporting all over the place and not having mounts. IN MY HUMBLE OPINION.

Just to clarify your clarification, GW2 is the fastest MMO to reach 3 million copies sold. MoP, an expansion of WoW, may have sold 3 million or so copies, but that was to a captive audience of an alleged 10 million or so players. If there's anything resembling truth to that number of players, only around 30% bought the expansion? OK.

I still get a kick out of the "see nothing different" lie, even though the stench of desperation gets cloying after a while.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Thwy announced 3 million.

Fastest selling NEW MMO.

Also biggest new MMO release in the West.

GW2 is exactly the same except where it is different.

Projectiles that actually have a trajectory that can and will be blocked, the ability to use the large majority of skills with no target or out of range, distance in melee actually matter as does positioning since melee weapons have the ability to deal damage to all targets the weapon touch, "quests" that are more than just text and fixed mobs, no ninja looting, the entire server is your party, no mob tagging, instance resource nodes, a variety of quality of life improvements related to crafting (store materials straight from your bags from everywhere, increased speed when crafting multiples of the same item, etc).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DamarusofktDamarusofkt Member UncommonPosts: 74

Leader of Knights Templar
    GW2 IGN: Damarus
    knights-templar.com

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

MOP was sold worldwide while GW2 was not - huge difference in market - also you can't play MOP without the original, so it is a chapter not a complete game - two different things.

There is tons of hype out there - AA, AoW, Wildstar, ESO, Neverwinter - they all are getting the same hype that GW2 got.  GW2 developers did pick there words carefully - they can't determine how people WILL INTERPRET the words. That is on the player not the company.