Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not allowed to say anything negative or you will get a warning

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    there is some regular people here that get you banned pretty commonly and people act like we dont know who they are doing it.  Ive been banned for some of the stupidest reasons ive ever seen on a website and ive seen some good people banned here also for voicing their opinion as well. Seriously people if you stop reporting people here unless its for being disrespectful or flaming etc. People here abuse the rules and the mods do not even care to read the posts ahead of yours to see why there is a responce the way yours is. I will say one good thing though Mike Bitton is pretty reasonable about getting your ban lifted if you send him an email ,  but he seriously needs to check his moderators here because they are extreamly bias to certain trolls here and ban everyone else.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by MightyChasm
    Originally posted by Volgore

I used to think that they go over the top with giving warnings, bans and mod editing, too.

But nowadays i think that the selective deletion of posts without any further comment is much worse, as it creates a false impression of an ongoing discussion.

*edit: also watch you stars magically disappear for negative comments. LOL

Is this really how the stars work?  I have seen some five star's trolling repeatedly.  

Stars are generated by the number and length of posts, they are reduced by warnings and bans. If you only ever post critical and negative things, but remain within the ToS, you will have 5 stars.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

one of the main reasons i post here is because overall the moderation makes this place much more pleasant overall than many other forums I have posted on.. it's really not hard concept to follow their rules of conduct on posting.. also i have seen the mods post numerous times they welcome and encourage all forms of feedback about games but continuously posting negative comments is considered trolling here. Also really depends on the context of the posts as well.. if you go into detail about a subject and explain why you are not happy or dislike something that is also encouraged.. but if you simply state game x blows or game x is crap or game x is for retards and so on you should expect ot get warnings..

My philosophy is try to stay mostly positive and you'll never have an issue..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Originally posted by cronius77
    there is some regular people here that get you banned pretty commonly and people act like we dont know who they are doing it.  Ive been banned for some of the stupidest reasons ive ever seen on a website and ive seen some good people banned here also for voicing their opinion as well. Seriously people if you stop reporting people here unless its for being disrespectful or flaming etc. People here abuse the rules and the mods do not even care to read the posts ahead of yours to see why there is a responce the way yours is. I will say one good thing though Mike Bitton is pretty reasonable about getting your ban lifted if you send him an email ,  but he seriously needs to check his moderators here because they are extreamly bias to certain trolls here and ban everyone else.

There are certain trolls and serial reporters on here who seem to get away with murder, so to speak. 

Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by botrytis

I have no problems with people of different opinions. I do have a problem with people who think their opinion is fact and should be taken as such.

Not a crazy world at all - crazy that people can't discuss things without going into 'This game SUX!' and name calling without any explanation or anything else. Declarative statements do not allow for a conversation to ensue. Try being less demonstrative and give more true explanations.

So it's okay to stifle opinions because they aren't fact? Makes sense. That's not why they are opinions. Every post I make nearly says IMO or it's my opinion that. You can look at my post history.

Now, wait aminute. :)

Here's three statements for you:

1. I'd rather pay a $15 sub than spend the average $28 per month on cash shops.
    2. You know, players spend an average of $28 per month on F2P games, instead of the $15 per month sub. Except you of course, I'm sure. I meant everyone else that plays F2P.
    3. I'd rather pay a $15 sub because it seems to me that it costs more to play free to play.

The third one is an opinion. The first two are not opinions. They are stating facts. Incorrect facts. Opinion and fact are two different things, but a lot of people here either don't seem to realize that or are incapable of accepting that. Worse, when presented with the truth, they will either argue they are correct or, worse, consider their statement valid because it's their opinion and opinions can't be wrong. At that point it isn't discussion, it's just being argumentative, and I have no problem with them being modded... repeatedly.

Haha strong points, but I think you may be digging too far with this one. This is going to go over nearly everyone's head you do realize? :p

haha, nice way to ingratiate yourself with one person by insulting everyone else on the forums.  

He is right though, a high proportion of people do not accept that fact trumps opinion.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I used to think that they go over the top with giving warnings, bans and mod editing, too.

But nowadays i think that the selective deletion of posts without any further comment is much worse, as it creates a false impression of an ongoing discussion.

Is this really how the stars work?  I have seen some five star's trolling repeatedly.  

FAQ: How do you calculate my rank?
    [...]

The quality of your posts. If you post lot of "filler" posts that only consist of a few words this will cost you rank points

[...]

"Quality of posts" leaves alot of room for interpretation, esp. on a website driven by advertisements. Every long term forum user knows what "quality of posts" the mods prefer.
    Although it has been denied various times, throughout the years users complained that their stars have been messed with.

Not that it matters anyway.

Originally posted by RefMinor

Stars are generated by the number and length of posts, they are reduced by warnings and bans. If you only ever post critical and negative things, but remain within the ToS, you will have 5 stars.

this but stars are also reduced by how often you post. Ive went a week without posting and lost stars for it also. I dont mind the stars here but they are kinda petty just like a post count because they are only based on how often you post instead of the quality of the posts you are making. Just like spotlight poster is a freaken joke here also and not attributed to anything but a troll conversation getting started.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Constructive criticism or negative opinions presented in a way that is objectively positive is really, really hard to do.
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    Constructive criticism or negative opinions presented in a way that is objectively positive is really, really hard to do.

Great stupid post.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

2 things, you have to say why you don't like what you don't like, it can't just be troll level "this suxxors" posts

the second thing it does seem to have to do with the hype level. There were plenty of well thought out posts about how terrible SWTOR's design flaws were that were posted on this website to combat the "obviously paid and later deleted" accounts that were trying to increase the hype level of that title on this and many sites so that people would have a better picture of just exactly what was happening with that unfinished game, but the mods here just kept the bans and warnings flowing like the dark side of the force. It was amazing how many good posts about SWTOR were suddenly poof gone the next day after they were posted.

they DO NOT allow you to post neagtives on a game even using constructive criticism . Ive been banned many times for that and their only excuse was postig excess negative comments about a  game... It happens the most on guild wars 2 and ive NEVER even been that critical by trashing the game and have always backed up my posts with reasons for why i do not like it compared to other games or personal opinion. I try not to be rude in my posts but have had bans for personal attacks when I didnt even attack anyone or just defended myself as well.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

not really... you did a good job of it with with your stopping gw2 thread.. overall just avoid one liners and give a couple reasons.. just saying this blows because i said so isn't a good way.. but saying i don't like a game because it doesn't offer xyz or i couldn't get into a game because feature x just wasn't implemented well or what  i was expecting didn't turn out how i was hoping and so forth...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

I have no problems with people of different opinions. I do have a problem with people who think their opinion is fact and should be taken as such.

Not a crazy world at all - crazy that people can't discuss things without going into 'This game SUX!' and name calling without any explanation or anything else. Declarative statements do not allow for a conversation to ensue. Try being less demonstrative and give more true explanations.

So it's okay to stifle opinions because they aren't fact? Makes sense. That's not why they are opinions. Every post I make nearly says IMO or it's my opinion that. You can look at my post history.

2. You know, players spend an average of $28 per month on F2P games, instead of the $15 per month sub. Except you of course, I'm sure. I meant everyone else that plays F2P.
    3. I'd rather pay a $15 sub because it seems to me that it costs more to play free to play.

The third one is an opinion. The first two are not opinions. They are stating facts. Incorrect facts. Opinion and fact are two different things, but a lot of people here either don't seem to realize that or are incapable of accepting that. Worse, when presented with the truth, they will either argue they are correct or, worse, consider their statement valid because it's their opinion and opinions can't be wrong. At that point it isn't discussion, it's just being argumentative, and I have no problem with them being modded... repeatedly.

Haha strong points, but I think you may be digging too far with this one. This is going to go over nearly everyone's head you do realize? :p

haha, nice way to ingratiate yourself with one person by insulting everyone else on the forums.  

Because I'm sooooo worried about everyone's opinions here. My opinion is worth no more than the next person, I know this. I'm sorry if you feel insulted, but the truth hurts bub.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

You did a good job though =D

You squished many a fan of GW2, and even got your name in a brand new thread title, as I recall.  That is an honor right there.

But those threads you made were powerful, and take time to make, as you did.  They were a combination of objectivity and subjectivity, but made sense.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Great stupid post.

Not stupid - one actually has to think to be constructive. BadSpock is spot on with his assessment. One really has to sit down and think about a respose or reply. Since this is the instant gratification society, one just pushes the bottun and doesn't care. Knee jerk reaction time.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298

Because I'm sooooo worried about everyone's opinions here. My opinion is worth no more than the next person, I know this. I'm sorry if you feel insulted, but the truth hurts bub.

It was a joke bub.  But I think you illistrated one part of the problem on these forums, people take everything far too seriously.  

Great stupid post.

Not stupid - one actually has to think to be constructive. BadSpock is spot on with his assessment. One really has to sit down and think about a respose or reply. Since this is the instant gratification society, one just pushes the bottun and doesn't care. Knee jerk reaction time.

Sense of humour not your strong suit?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Great stupid post.

.. Waiting for the punchline? :P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AcidonAcidon Member UncommonPosts: 796
    Originally posted by essaidi
    Seriously never been a member of such a community I can't say a game looks ugly without getting a warning from you guys, its your site and your decission, but makes a lot of sense to me now why so few even uses your forums when you can't act like anything but a fanboy, or you will get warnings, I'll probably get a warning for this one as well.. But to be serious I don't care... If I think a game has a graphic that looks like it was made in 1950 I'm going to say it....

You can also receive a temp ban.. i've.. heard.  Don't ever talk about their baby (gee dub two).

• keitholikeitholi Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by essaidi
    Seriously never been a member of such a community I can't say a game looks ugly without getting a warning from you guys, its your site and your decission, but makes a lot of sense to me now why so few even uses your forums when you can't act like anything but a fanboy, or you will get warnings, I'll probably get a warning for this one as well.. But to be serious I don't care... If I think a game has a graphic that looks like it was made in 1950 I'm going to say it....

I find that a little difficult to swallow, considering some of the outrageous things I have read or posted in the past. While they certainly crack down on vulgarities and general flame posts that offer no constructive criticism, for the most part, you can say what you think around here.

I would go so far as to say that this site has become a bastion for some people, who otherwise have to put up with being silenced or banned for speaking out on official forums (WWII online, Mortal Online just to name a few). I have personally flamed many games in my time here, but I usually lace it with enough constructive aspects so as to not get edited or get a ban. I only have 1 - 24 hour ban in my lifetime due to a vulgarity laced rant which had nothing constructive to it what-so-ever.

So that being said, I would say put a little more effort into the posts themselves and make it look like your trying to point out what you think is wrong, instead of posting some outlandish troll post that will get locked and earn you a time-out ;)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Great stupid post.

If you actually would post a joke - I might laugh....

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

I thought these kind of topics were not allowed, but I guess they are?  In any case, the forum moderation here baffles me completely.

I've been warned and banned for things that aren't considered violations anywhere else in the universe.  I've had mods that couldn't logically tell me why I was warned, but still upheld the warnings.  I have had age-old non-sensical warnings from eons prior come back and result in temp bans long after being forgotten.  Best I can figure is that it is completely random, because there is nothing about the moderation here that strikes me as consistent or fair. 

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Great stupid post.

If you actually would post a joke - I might laugh....

Probably not

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    I just have to say if people really can't express negative opinions here, without getting banned. This place would be a ghost town. Not to mention 70% of the posts in every sub-section would be gone.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

I have been pretty critical of many games on here, and I have recieved only a small few warnings, and I generally earned them. of course, when i am beng negative about a game, my posts tend to run on for quite some time, so I think most people just get bored of reading it and move on, not even bothering to report.

As for me, the only posts I report are the obvious 3dparty advertisers that make posts that  are supposed to look legit but are obvious attempts to either be a phishing attack, or just plain advertise a game outside of MMORPG's money making ads.

I also report people who are doing obvious personal attacks against another. 

other then that, I find there is no reason to report.  If someone wants to have a negative comment, and not back it up, I can be the bigger person and just ignore it.  If anything, reporting it just makes them realize they got to you, and for most trolls, they don't care or even want you to think as they do, they are just trying to get in your head.

I also realize that many times, peoples opinions will not be the same as mine. Even if they are not very good at explaining their reasoning, as long as they don't resort to instults or personal attacks against me, then they can have their opinion, express it however they want, and be safe from me going down the childish route and just reporting them.  I have little faith in the moderation system on this website.  I think it is mostly just an automated system handing out warnings willy nilly.  I am not going to add to what I think is a flawed, imperfect system by exploiting this fact to send warnings to players express their views in a non-unsulting way., regardless of what those views are.

This discussion has been closed.