Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What happened to good old RPGs...

2»

Comments

• GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Turn-based ugh terible gameplay ok thats said.

I recconment Asheron's call 2 open world and open dungeons no instance crap some are very hard.

No guidance no npcs with! above head and one of BEST CRAFTING SYTEMS in any mmo.

Asheron's call 2 -11year old game but still good in 2013 gameplay and graphic wise.

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

The answer to your question can be found in one picture.

Ba and Post Grads living in mom

and dads basement upon graduating.

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,983
    Sounds like you are describing what DDO was like for me when I was really into it.  I cannot get back into it now tho I tried to download it again.  But when it was new to me it was great.  I must have rebuilt every class a hundred times.  Rogue was the most challenging.  I left the game after they added the noisy airship.  It ruined the feel of the city and was useless guild crap.

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    if you want turn based mmorpg, try atlantica online, if singleplayer, try wizardry 7,8 if you didnt played those.
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

what happen?

they are transformed in to shooters with rpg skins

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Divinity original sin is out sometime this year from Larian studios..its turn based and looks great..not only that they are going to have a toolset with the game for player made content which is free to download when released that is http://www.youtube.com/LarianStudios hope this helps
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    Originally posted by casual187
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/220700/ have at it hauss! image

Don't you mean, "Have at it, Hoss"? As in, Hoss Cartwright from Bonanza, where the phrase originated from?

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by SuperNick

You look back fondly on games because they were YOUR first games. You have a strong nostalgia about them which adds a lot to the perception of in actuality what was very basic days.

Asheron's Call for example was my first MMO and I look back on it as the best MMO i've ever played. It was my honeymoon period though and frankly if I tried to go back to it, I would pretty much hate it on all levels. Worse yet if they released a game of that caliber, again, i'd pretty much hate it. Sometimes I long for that huge open world with no care in the world about class balance; just give you that monster battlemage who never takes any damage ever but I know that sorta stuff has no bearing in todays world of games. In actuality you'd soon see people crying about "omg so much space but only miles and miles of terrain!" and "wtf my UA cloth wearer does 0 damage i'm leaving this game"

In 15 years the younger generation who are playing todays games will probably come and make the same posts about how they wish they made 'em like World of Warcraft still. :P

Not entirely true as I still (re)play these games and enjoy them just as much.  I recently finished Dragon Quest VI for SNES and enjoyed it as much as I did when I first played it back in the 90s.    I wish I had 'newer' features like a detailed map function, but outside of that it was FUN and still is.

Yes some of them didnt translate well over time. Lufia comes to mind.  Even for a kids game the dialogue made me lurch today but thought it was all the rage when I first played it.

The point I'm making is some of those old school mechanics (light/challenging grinding) are STILL fun (to me) today and wish someone would make an MMO around it.  I tend to break games down to their cores as if I dont like that I wont like the game.  The aesthetics and other 'fluff' on top just changes the look.

If I play an MMO today, none of them present a healthy challenge of finding an interesting dungeon, fighting diverse monsters, seeing how far you can go.  The closest I have found to this was EQ.  The further out in a zone I went the harder it was to kill the mobs.  Until I returned to PoP, sold my loot and trained in more skills or bought more tomes for my beserker.  Its pretty much exactly what I want. The issue is 'time decay' as I call it.  The game is like 100 years old (joking).   I'm saying why cant someone put the pretty skin of GW2 over a game mechanic such as EQ?  Giving me the best of both worlds.

All the themepark-esque MMOs have easy questing to the point I can outlevel the mobs rediculously within the first 10 levels.  Nothing to me is worse than outleveling content you still want to do.  It turns that ugly grey color which does nothing but remind me I will get no XP for doing what could have been a fun quest.  Why cant they up the mobs HP or something?  Nothing overly complicated.

Another thing I noticed if when I played Final Fantasy I for iPhone/PSP/GBA/etc it had become INFINITELY easier to play then when I re-played it on PSX.  For one thing they got rid of magic charges and added in phoenix down.  Battles would happen lighting fast and there really was no way of dying without doing something seriously wrong.  I cant see the fun in that nor the need to make the original content easier.

I guess Im just a dying breed of gamer holding onto the dream of re-imagining what I think still IS fun.  Understand others have different opinions, just wish we could have different (types) of games to accomodate.  I want my version of GW2! :P

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by Wighty

Ahh... the good ol' days...

I recall playing Wizardry and early Ultimas with my black and white note book and graph paper to map out dungeons... These were great times...

There was no internet back then and on occasion hints or a basic walkthrough were posted in PC Gamer or one of the actual game magazines of old. If there was a puzzle you had to figure it out or pray it was part of a magazine feature or article. 

Today it's not about that gameplay and complexity it's about magic golden streams of virtual bread crumbs leading you by the nose to the next objective. Everyone is also in such a rush for the "end"...

In some sense graphics killed RPG's... now everyone wants photo realizm which in my opinion takes away from immersion because you are always finding flaws... When you played a game like Ultima IV you had to let your imagination paint the picture and it was great.

Completely agree.  At least back in the day we had diversity.  You want an easy RPG you played Secret of the Stars or Final Fantasy Adventure.  You wanted hardcore?  You played Wizardry. 

Today we get easy only and it doesnt look like its going to change.   Lost opporutnity in my eyes.

Still looking out for an idie quickstarter.

• EmrendilEmrendil Member Posts: 199

They should resurrect the "Gold Box" series. You know, the games like Pool od Radiance, Champions of Krynn,... Just with updated graphics animations and sound.

Something like they did with Legend of Grimrock, a modern version of "old school" dungeon crawler game called Dungeon Master.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Emrendil

They should resurrect the "Gold Box" series. You know, the games like Pool od Radiance, Champions of Krynn,... Just with updated graphics animations and sound.

Something like they did with Legend of Grimrock, a modern version of "old school" dungeon crawler game called Dungeon Master.

Yes, that would be cool. My favorite is Curse of the Azure bond (second one, the one after Pool of Radiance). And please don't make it into a MMO. Just make a good SP game, may be with co-op.

Turn-base combat, SRPG set up.

• SpectralHunterSpectralHunter Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Emrendil

Yes, that would be cool. My favorite is Curse of the Azure bond (second one, the one after Pool of Radiance). And please don't make it into a MMO. Just make a good SP game, may be with co-op.

Turn-base combat, SRPG set up.

Nah...that'd be too logical.