Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers

Comments

• HauvarnHauvarn Member Posts: 220
    I still like sc2 :(

Yes I played SWTOR.

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Normandy7
    Don't see how this is humanly possible. The game isn't very good in my opinion. Both auction houses ruined the entire Diablo experience.

it isn't very good. people always seem to underestimate the power of marketing and reputation. it sold precisely because it was made by blizzard and it was a sequel in a successful series.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by BizkitNL
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by Cod_Eye

And over 11 million are dissapointed and vow to never buy a Blizzard product again. 

Before ranting at me, I jest.

Want to bet millions will buy Heart of the Swarm, and the D3 expansion?

I am one of those millions.

One simply can't argue against quality games.

Sales do not necessarily mean quality.

McDonnalds sells more food than Ferran Adria.

Vin Diesel sells more movies than Kim Ki Duk

Justin Bieber sells more CDs than Dream Theater.

Rowling sells more books than Goethe.

I guess you get the idea.

And yet, sales also does not mean it's NOT high quality.

McDonalds may be a low cost leader

Vin Diesel and Justin Beiber movies/ "music" are aimed at a certain target audience

Rowling are aimed at Young Adults that adults also enjoy.

With the exception of McDonalds, none of those things mean poor quality. It just means different people have different tastes or are not so full of themselves that they allow themselves to enjoy more than one type of thing.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

ok d3 sold 12mil copies

now ask how many was refunded :)

• Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Probably because d3 is the second worst recent "big game", after star wars.

SWTOR is actually pretty high on Xfire also... #13 i believe. 

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Originally posted by supertouchme
    Don't see how this is humanly possible. The game isn't very good in my opinion. Both auction houses ruined the entire Diablo experience.

it isn't very good. people always seem to underestimate the power of marketing and reputation. it sold precisely because it was made by blizzard and it was a sequel in a successful series.

D3 is an excellent ARPG. It could have been made by "Bill the ARPG Guy" instead of Blizzard and I still would have bought it.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

And some overestimate the power of marketing and reputation. John Carter was hugely marketed. Battleship was hugely marketed. All flop badly.

Spieberg has a great reputation and yet 1941 flopped.

Michael Bay has a lousy reputation and how much does Transformer 3 made? more than $1B.

Originally posted by Z3R01
    Probably because d3 is the second worst recent "big game", after star wars.

SWTOR is actually pretty high on Xfire also... #13 i believe. 

After it went F2P. I have no doubt it is pretty popular. It is, after all, Star Wars, free, and you can play a jedi and a sith.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

And over 11 million are dissapointed and vow to never buy a Blizzard product again.

I say their games are quality.

All opinion, obviously :).

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Psychow

Vin Diesel and Justin Beiber movies/ "music" are aimed at a certain target audience

With the exception of McDonalds, none of those things mean poor quality. It just means different people have different tastes or are not so full of themselves that they allow themselves to enjoy more than one type of thing.

And Blizzard games are aimed at certain type of players, which was exactly my point.

D3 is an excellent ARPG. It could have been made by "Bill the ARPG Guy" instead of Blizzard and I still would have bought it.

This is how good D3 is. It sold 12 million copies due to the popularity of both Diablo 2 and WoW. 12 million!!!!

Now recently a new ARPG hit the market named Path of Exile. It reached 65k concurrent users this transulates to around 500k active accounts.

According to Xfire Diablo 3 and Path fo Exile have similar concurrent users online atm.

That means out of 12 million paying players only 500k+ are actualy active players now... 

I wouldnt call D3 a good game after seeing those numbers and Blizzard were certainly unhappy with the way Diablo 3 turned out... proven by Jay Wilsons exit from D3 development. 

And Blizzard games are aimed at certain type of players, which was exactly my point.

I your point is that the target audience are: People who like to play MMO's, have fun and are willing to pay a subscription, then I agree with you.

If your point is the target audience is: Stupid, mindless, riff-raff that wouldn't know a quality product if it hit them in the face, then I don't agree with you.

• supertouchmesupertouchme Member Posts: 68

And some overestimate the power of marketing and reputation. John Carter was hugely marketed. Battleship was hugely marketed. All flop badly.

Spieberg has a great reputation and yet 1941 flopped.

Michael Bay has a lousy reputation and how much does Transformer 3 made? more than $1B.

there's a variety of factors at play. john carter and 1941 weren't long-awaited sequels and people didn't camp out at theatres on opening day. people bought diablo 3 because it was fucking diablo.

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546

This is how good D3 is. It sold 12 million copies due to the popularity of both Diablo 2 and WoW. 12 million!!!!

Now recently a new ARPG hit the market named Path of Exile. It reached 65k concurrent users this transulates to around 500k active accounts.

According to Xfire Diablo 3 and Path fo Exile have similar concurrent users online atm.

That means out of 12 million paying players only 500k+ are actualy active players now... 

I wouldnt call D3 a good game after seeing those numbers and Blizzard were certainly unhappy with the way Diablo 3 turned out... proven by Jay Wilsons exit from D3 development. 

Any argument you try to make crashes when you bring XFire users into the equation.

D3 is 10 month old. PoE is just released. If PoE has similar concurrent user as Diablo 3 in 10 month, then i will agree with you.

In fact, if you track Borderlands 2 ... when it first released in Sep 2012, it was higher than D3. Now it is #38, way below D3.

I think Blizz should be very happy.

1. PoE is new. People are still "beating the game" for the first time. I wonder how many concurrent users where online when D3 launched.

2. PoE is free. That in itself opens the door for all the free-player users.

3. 500k is nowhere near 12Million...

D3 wasn't perfect. Neither is PoE. The difference is PoE doesn't have to deal with the over-user expectations that D3 had. If D3 was just a stand alone, non-diablo series ARPG, I highly doubt ANYONE but the most entitled of people would ever call it a bad game.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Most of them are blizzard fanbois in denial, they can't accept that blizzard could make a bad game so they are forcing themselves to like it.

1. PoE is new. People are still "beating the game" for the first time. I wonder how many concurrent users where online when D3 launched.

2. PoE is free. That in itself opens the door for all the free-player users.

3. 500k is nowhere near 12Million...

D3 wasn't perfect. Neither is PoE. The difference is PoE doesn't have to deal with the over-user expectations that D3 had. If D3 was just a stand alone, non-diablo series ARPG, I highly doubt ANYONE but the most entitled of people would ever call it a bad game.

Addition: Without the Diablo name D3 would be considered a terrible ARPG. it lacks the core features that made the ARPG genre what it is today. Name means nothing release a ARPG with a AH, garbage drops, no builds, no online competition (pve or pvp), no randomized content and you would be dead before you started. 

I was pointing out the massive 11.5 million active user drop off of D3... not poe doing well.

PoE is an indie game, its a hardcore niche product.

Its a fact that poE had that many concurrent users at that point so i was easy to gage how many active players were left in D3 since they were very close on the XFire rankings (10 and 11 last i checked)

Most of them are blizzard fanbois in denial, they can't accept that blizzard could make a bad game so they are forcing themselves to like it.

I'd accept it if it ever happens. Still waiting tho...

Every Blizzard game i've ever played, including The Lost Viking, has been excellent.

Nah .. i think the haters are in denial. They dismiss that D3 sold 12M, and that it is still up there in xfire numbers after 10 month.

What is the excuse when the expansion sold millions? Oh, it is a bad expansion .. because "i said so"?

Any argument you try to make crashes when you bring XFire users into the equation.

My numbers are all facts from outside sources not within Xfire... all Xfire is used for is to see trends. Blizzard released the number of D3 sales itself, GGG released the number of concurrent users and active accounts itself. Using the Xfire to see these games are both trending pn par with each other you can see that diablo 3 has around a 90% active user decline...

D3 is 10 month old. PoE is just released. If PoE has similar concurrent user as Diablo 3 in 10 month, then i will agree with you.

In fact, if you track Borderlands 2 ... when it first released in Sep 2012, it was higher than D3. Now it is #38, way below D3.

I think Blizz should be very happy.

As much as people would like to compare Borderlands 2 to a Diablo like game it in no way has the replay value of a game like D3, PoE or TL2... its a FPS you play a few times and uninstall... its like Darksiders 2. A game with decent replay value that shares similarities with diablo but its really only a action game made to be played a few times. So it makes no sense to compare them.

Keep in mind what i just posted shows a 90% drop off of Diablo 3 active players... If you think Blizzard is happy with that you are nuts... If they were happy with it Jay Wilsom would still be working on D3s expansion...

I have a lot of outstanding games I have purchased over the years and no longer play. Does that mean they suck or make them any less awesome than when I purchased them?

Believe it or not, many people play a game, beat it and move on. They have no intention of making every gaming purchase a lifelong commitment. If current users are down, it's because people are done with the game and have moved on to the next one.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

because people are completely responsible and informed prior to purchasing something from a company.....yeah

<---- was proud to be one of the 60% of gamers that left D3 post launch because of it's horrible design flaws. Won't be buying another blizz product ever again.

I have a lot of outstanding games I have purchased over the years and no longer play. Does that mean they suck or make them any less awesome than when I purchased them?

Believe it or not, many people play a game, beat it and move on. They have no intention of making every gaming purchase a lifelong commitment. If current users are down, it's because people are done with the game and have moved on to the next one.

Diablo 2 was played for over a decade by a substantial percentage of its playerbase... Diablo 3 has been out how long and shows a 90% player drop off.

Games in the ARPG genre are designed to be played for a very long time. sure there will always be people that play through it once and leave but certainly not 90%. 

That number shows me that there were a lot of people that bought the game coming from Diablo 2 and were disappointed.