Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the deal wih comparing TESO vs archeage.

archeagekingarcheageking Member Posts: 88

Teso is instanced zone shard, with story and lore and instanced battleground and dungeon.

Archeage has complete freedom no restriction,s no instancing housing no instancing pvp or battleground, has story and lore. ITA GOT SWG housing in real time, no instances.

How many if you got tired of instancing and shards huh?

:p

How the heck is teso rated higher then AA is beyond me.

Comments

• SygrisSygris Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by archeageking

Teso is instanced zone shard, with story and lore and instanced battleground and dungeon.

Archeage has complete freedom no restriction,s no instancing housing no instancing pvp or battleground, has story and lore. ITA GOT SWG housing in real time, no instances.

if you're talking about the hype rating of ESO, that was manipulated, i have no doubt about it.
    ESO had 8.3X, but it rose to 8.5X in just about a week, while every other game took quite a dive.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Because ignorance is bliss!
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    The power of a existing IP my friend. AA had abit fo a following that was growing, then ESO is released with similarities however people can look at ESO and go "hey i know that series" The Following and Commenting grows. Also since its getting alot of press you will have Negative/Trolling posts made which will all boost its activity because things happening in their forums.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by archeageking

um....

that's not a comparison. That's one group more excited about a certain game than another or at least "having more representation".

You are trying to say that because one game has certain features that you value over another that everyone is going to value those same things. It's an interesting way to look at life I can tell you.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • k11keeperk11keeper Member UncommonPosts: 1,048

It's all about name recognition man. People know TES brand and not many know about archeage outside of MMO freaks. Even some my gaming friends didn't know a single thing about AA until I pointed them in it's direction. Yet all of them knew about TESO cause they've played TES games in the past.

I'm honestly looking foward to both. Whichever one caters to my playstyle the most is probably the game I'll stick with for the next few years.

• DrinkFeckDrinkFeck Member UncommonPosts: 189

Game comparisons, MMORPG's in particular have always come hand-in-hand with new developments and releases. We are all entitled to personal opinions and unfortunately this leads to clashes of interests over features, gameplay, graphics.. you name it. Sometimes it can lead to a healthy debate, however more often then not it leads to an extensive flame war.

• steelwindsteelwind Member UncommonPosts: 352

I think the real question is when all these new Themeparks release and the 3-4 month ride is over, where will everyone end up? I think this time around WoW might not be the obvious choice. When 4 months in, Archeage players have barely scratched the surface of their game, TESO players will be begging for new content.

I personally believe that once Archeage releases, it will have a bigger impact than many realize. Players want something new and are tired of clones. Archeage gives them exactly that, something COMPLETELY different.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by steelwind

I think the real question is when all these new Themeparks release and the 3-4 month ride is over, where will everyone end up? I think this time around WoW might not be the obvious choice. When 4 months in, Archeage players have barely scratched the surface of their game, TESO players will be begging for new content.

I personally believe that once Archeage releases, it will have a bigger impact than many realize. Players want something new and are tired of clones. Archeage gives them exactly that, something COMPLETELY different.

But as some other peopel on this site have said, they don't mind the churn. It seems that there are people who only want to play for a few months and then move on.

Not sure  if the developers will like this but there it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KujuKuju Member UncommonPosts: 51
    Name recognition is a big part of it. It also helps that TESO has an estimated release date of this year. Just wait until EQNext (hinted to maybe be this year?) and/or "Titan" get listed on the site; they will shoot up too. It's just the way it is.
  • jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777

To the OP.

the two are compared becasue TESO is claiming to be for TES fans but in reality its nothing like the IP, Archeage is more TES than TESO is...so the two must be compared.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• LetsinodLetsinod Member UncommonPosts: 385
    Dunno.  I used to be really excited about AA, but some things I have seen or read lately is disappointing.  Not everyone gets a house and its not as open as you make it seem.  Its also much more themepark than it is sandbox in the combat and gameplay.
  • CelusiosCelusios Member UncommonPosts: 337
    Just bloat Archeage some more. What you did not also add that is that it's pretty much class based and TAB target WoW spam 123 combat. That alone puts ESO at a HUGE advantage. No comparison imo.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    No one thinks there the same type of games. Its just the fact for games in development they hold 1st and 2nd place. I personally like sandbox and themepark MMOs. I know whats in both games and I dont know what one I want to play more.
  • AticusWellesAticusWelles Member Posts: 152
    I agree about eqnext getting tons of hype. Eq3 with another seamless world will be at the top of my hype meter, unless they ruin it with tons of instancing, sharding, and extreme theme park deficit disorder. But a seamless Norrath was one of the best MMO worlds I ever had the pleasure to explore, cant wait to do it again.

As for TESO, it has elder scrolls lore combined with dark age of the camolot gameplay. I can certainly see why thats exciting for a lot of people. If it wasnt for the instancing and sharding I would probably play it, at least until AA comes out. But AA just seems much more intriguing to me.
  • Godshelp12Godshelp12 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    edited August 2015

Post edited by Godshelp12 on
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    What? Did I miss something? Why would anyone compare a typical western WoW clone ThemePark to a eastern made, sandbox ThemePark hybrid?
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Originally posted by Yamota
    What? Did I miss something? Why would anyone compare a typical western WoW clone ThemePark to a eastern made, sandbox ThemePark hybrid?

Because some people like both themepark and sandbox MMOs and you can still compair some elelments of the game. There both still MMOs and if you dont get that <<<shrugs>>> Both games have a type of RvR, open world PvP with breaking into keeps and castles. Both have combat and we could go on and on. How well they do at the core of the game will decide for me what one I play. To me therepark and sandbox means little as for me, its how awesome the whole package is. I have played both styles and there has been good and badly designed of both. In the end for me there is only 2 types of MMOs, well designed and badly. 

• SaintWalker44SaintWalker44 Member UncommonPosts: 80

Cuz they're dumb?

All Will Be Well.....

• JimmyYOJimmyYO Member UncommonPosts: 519
    Originally posted by steelwind

The thing is most players care about combat above all else and ArcheAge seems about as clone as you can get in that department. I'm hoping I'm missing something because I really like the feel of this game.

• KoraoKorao Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Godshelp12
    Originally posted by Celusios
    Just bloat Archeage some more. What you did not also add that is that it's pretty much class based and TAB target WoW spam 123 combat. That alone puts ESO at a HUGE advantage. No comparison imo.

Good god you're wrong on so many levels...

TESO is also Tab target.  And ArcheAge isn't "Choose a class" and listed.  It has 120 class COMBINATIONS.  You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear.

Oh my god... I had to register just to answer to you, because that post was just stupid. I'm waiting impatiently for both games, but at least get your facts right!

"TESO is also Tab target" Wrong. This is TES gameplay in a MMO, so basically, a 3rd or 1st person view like in Skyrim, left click is like your "main attack" and it attacks where you are aiming, there is no "target selection" with a mouse click or tab. Also, it bring TESO a "skill based" gameplay, because you have to MANUALLY dodge and block attacks, not some RNG doing it for you like in most games...

Also, you can say "You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear." about TESO too...

That's why I'm "hyped" for TESO, awesome skill based combat, great World PVP and siege wars(DAoC RvR style). Also, the "no server" thing is quite promising if they can do it right. Also, with perks and having the choice to wear any armor/weapon you want with any class, "class combinations" are also BIG. Few examples already possible: "heavy armor character who's a tank with a bow", "mage using 2handed weapons" or "sneaky guy who run around healing people". Perks give infinite possibilities after that, like having werewolf powers, vampire powers, summoning powers... 

So in all, all your arguments are wrong. TESO isn't Tab target. TESO is also not a "choose a class and listed" since everyone is different. TESO also dont have gear restrictions...

Finally how it will goes at the end in my opinion, sandbox lovers will go to AA and PvP lovers will go to TESO since the entire game is around the Alliance War.

Back to OP question: AA just don't have the same amount of publicity and you don't really hear a lot about that game, even I didn't hear about it before like 5 months ago and that's just because the leading guild of my alliance (Titan Alliance)  in GW2 talked about it, being the next MMO they wanted to go to.

TESO is also Tab target.  And ArcheAge isn't "Choose a class" and listed.  It has 120 class COMBINATIONS.  You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear.

Did you seriously just call TESO a tab targeter? You really need to go watch their video. The aiming is free aim, right to swing, left to block. None of this 2004 styled tab target and press 1-10 to win. Archeage only wins in the sandbox area. I think it's cool you can have housing, build ships, etc. 

I hope you're refering to Archeage as the WoW clone given it's pathetic combat. I mean if you even call that combat? lol. 

Originally posted by Korao

Oh my god... I had to register just to answer to you, because that post was just stupid. I'm waiting impatiently for both games, but at least get your facts right!

"TESO is also Tab target" Wrong. This is TES gameplay in a MMO, so basically, a 3rd or 1st person view like in Skyrim, left click is like your "main attack" and it attacks where you are aiming, there is no "target selection" with a mouse click or tab. Also, it bring TESO a "skill based" gameplay, because you have to MANUALLY dodge and block attacks, not some RNG doing it for you like in most games...

Also, you can say "You also aren't restricted on the type of gear you want to wear." about TESO too...

That's why I'm "hyped" for TESO, awesome skill based combat, great World PVP and siege wars(DAoC RvR style). Also, the "no server" thing is quite promising if they can do it right. Also, with perks and having the choice to wear any armor/weapon you want with any class, "class combinations" are also BIG. Few examples already possible: "heavy armor character who's a tank with a bow", "mage using 2handed weapons" or "sneaky guy who run around healing people". Perks give infinite possibilities after that, like having werewolf powers, vampire powers, summoning powers... 

So in all, all your arguments are wrong. TESO isn't Tab target. TESO is also not a "choose a class and listed" since everyone is different. TESO also dont have gear restrictions...

Finally how it will goes at the end in my opinion, sandbox lovers will go to AA and PvP lovers will go to TESO since the entire game is around the Alliance War.

Back to OP question: AA just don't have the same amount of publicity and you don't really hear a lot about that game, even I didn't hear about it before like 5 months ago and that's just because the leading guild of my alliance (Titan Alliance)  in GW2 talked about it, being the next MMO they wanted to go to.

Another sane person, thank you. I don't know where some of these people get their little "facts" from. 

• CrynswindCrynswind Member Posts: 290

I hope you're refering to Archeage as the WoW clone given it's pathetic combat. I mean if you even call that combat? lol. 

Another sane person, thank you. I don't know where some of these people get their little "facts" from. 

Combat means nothing if the game is a shallow wow clone gear grinder, just look at Tera.

TESO will be SWTOR 2, i mean it's just too obvious.

And really, combat is the most important thing in an MMO? "fun" (TESO combat doesn't look fun at all btw) combat will matter very little when you are bored of grinding gear in instanced dungeons for the 68# time.

AA: Housing, ship building and naval warfare, player made content, farms, pets, crafted based economy.

TESO: Instanced battlegrounds, gear grind, wannabe dumbed down action combat with 4 buttons to mash, GW2 meaningless zergfests, another casual themepark.

Haven't we been playing the later for 10+ yearS? boring, f2p in 6 months, the game has no chance, im sure it will launch as B2P because the retention would be worse than SWTOR's

I mean TESO might be good for the people who want to play an rpg for a couple of weeks, maybe a month or two, but AA is a whole different type of game, an actual MMO.

• FallguyArmyFallguyArmy Member Posts: 80

Unless they've updated the combat system, which I wouldn't be surprised if I missed the memo considering a bunch of their news articles are nothing but lore stuff, I'll have to go by what this fansite has to say:

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2012/10/combat-in-teso/

If you prefer a video, check this at the 2:40 minute mark: 

At first glance it seems like the combat system is similar to previous TES games, but take a closer look at when they mention soft and hard locks. Lock means target. Sure, it won't be TAB target since you don't press the TAB button, but the ultimate objective remains the same: you obtain a target, as opposed to free aiming. So until we get official news regarding the game's combat system, TESO remains target-based. Not tab target per se, but target-based nonetheless.

• Originally posted by archeageking

Because not enough people know about AA while everyone and their mother has played Skyrim. 

TESO has familiar lore, so people are hyped up for it. 

I've done my research and I think I'll drop every game to play AA whenever it finally comes out.