Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Not allowed to say anything negative or you will get a warning

essaidiessaidi Member UncommonPosts: 29
Seriously never been a member of such a community I can't say a game looks ugly without getting a warning from you guys, its your site and your decission, but makes a lot of sense to me now why so few even uses your forums when you can't act like anything but a fanboy, or you will get warnings, I'll probably get a warning for this one as well.. But to be serious I don't care... If I think a game has a graphic that looks like it was made in 1950 I'm going to say it....

Comments

• Montana-drMontana-dr Member Posts: 10
    Sometimes they do go over the wall
  • AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083
    I found that out my first day here. Never criticize GW2 on this site for sure, it's like asking for butthurt people to report you. Age of Paytowinshu is another. Fans can be rabid anywhere, it's not just MMORPG.com, it just happens more often here because I think the warnings are issued without an actual human looking at the complaint.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.

• BarrikorBarrikor Member UncommonPosts: 373

Really? People criticize games all the time on here.

The rule is that you've got to say why you don't like the game, not just say "X-game SUCKS" as if it's a fact without backing up your opinion.

When criticizing a game put a little thought into how you do it, and do it in a polite friendly way, otherwise you start a flame-war which is the whole thing the mods are trying to prevent. Graphics are a bit subjective; if a game has fans then there must be a reason that they like the game despite the negatives, we should respect that.

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

If you see advertising for even a single game on a gaming site, then you can be 100% absolutely assured that they will not be impartial to discussions concerning it.  Period.

Advertising pays the bills, and if your site has people spewing negativity about your game on that site, then why spend the advertising dollars there?  Dollars are more valuable than opinions.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

This forum is nothing but negativity and, for the most part, it's tollerated well enough.  If you're getting warnings or anything, then you might just need to rethink your choice of words.

Also, get rid of the obnoxious sig.  It makes you look like a 14 year old who's just been released from his mom's basement and looking to "prove" something to the interwebs.

You make me like charity

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by essaidi
    Seriously never been a member of such a community I can't say a game looks ugly without getting a warning from you guys, its your site and your decission, but makes a lot of sense to me now why so few even uses your forums when you can't act like anything but a fanboy, or you will get warnings, I'll probably get a warning for this one as well.. But to be serious I don't care... If I think a game has a graphic that looks like it was made in 1950 I'm going to say it....

Ha! I was banned for a week for posting my thoughts on Asheron's Call 2. They must REALLY like that game around here...

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Usually depends on the hype level of the game.  For instance, I got several warnings/bans when I made pretty minor comments about GW2 that other's construed as being neagtive.

Then shortly after, people needed to preface pretty much every post with "I think GW2 is a great game, but...." in order to avoid being reported.

It can get rather childish it times.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

If you see advertising for even a single game on a gaming site, then you can be 100% absolutely assured that they will not be impartial to discussions concerning it.  Period.

Advertising pays the bills, and if your site has people spewing negativity about your game on that site, then why spend the advertising dollars there?  Dollars are more valuable than opinions.

You don't seem to have a firm grasp of how the industry works.  This site has some of the worst "journalist" around, most of whom can't seem to write anything more than a few paragraphs long, and nearly every article lacks any real content.

Having said that, the people writing articles are not the same ones in charge of choosing adds.  The site certainly gets paid for hosting the adds, but I highly doubt there is any communication between that department and the writers, when it comes down to how to rate a game.

If anything, that's bad for the writers because, as I said, most of them are pretty bad.  If they were actually "bought" then they'd at least have an excuse for the quality.

You make me like charity

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    I found that out my first day here. Never criticize GW2 on this site for sure, it's like asking for butthurt people to report you. Age of Paytowinshu is another. Fans can be rabid anywhere, it's not just MMORPG.com, it just happens more often here because I think the warnings are issued without an actual human looking at the complaint.

They dont look at it, i got in trouble for a comment saying something along the lines of "So your like games where all you do is stab things" which was consitered trolling, i faught it and they basically told me to shut up and take the warning.

BTW i criticize GW2 all the time, Because its Shite. i havent been reported for it yet.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I have a very thick skin so i never report anyone. Even though sometimes people get abusive i keep my cool. But recently i noticed that if you don't report these people it actually works against you. Majority of people here are very sensitive and will report you if they can not win an argument. So you get reported and they get away with being abusive.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Anyone who so much as remotely even agrees with the OP will be getting a warning.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699

Ironic as I have gotten a few warnings as of late myself...

People are way to sensitive and expected to be politically correct... Non conformist opinions will not be tollerated.

I got one for replying to a thread about sexism in gaming. I gave my opinion on the matter and was warned...

Another for comparing Mcdonalds to blizzard which they said I was trolling... basically trolling a trolling post.

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Anyone who so much as remotely even agrees with the OP will be getting a warning.

But I don't want a warning...

Originally posted by asmkm22
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

You don't seem to have a firm grasp of how the industry works.  This site has some of the worst "journalist" around, most of whom can't seem to write anything more than a few paragraphs long, and nearly every article lacks any real content.

Having said that, the people writing articles are not the same ones in charge of choosing adds.  The site certainly gets paid for hosting the adds, but I highly doubt there is any communication between that department and the writers, when it comes down to how to rate a game.

If anything, that's bad for the writers because, as I said, most of them are pretty bad.  If they were actually "bought" then they'd at least have an excuse for the quality.

Yeah, I agree with you there.  I wasn't talking about the writers though.  I was just saying that the forums will be moderated more heavily for a game that is spending advertising dollers on a web site that is hosting those forums.  That goes for all such web sites, not just this one.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I used to fight the system here all of the time. But, I can say now that I deserved every ban/warning that I got. I still give my opinion here, but I back it up with thoughtful responses instead of my old flaming and trolling responses.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I imagine this is in reference to Ancients of Fasaria .. I checked out Googles cache, because I'm nosey and I was curious what you said =D

I see a deleted post on MMORPG that Google still had for that game, in which you said the game was terrible and incomplete.

Negative posts are always allowed here, but you need to justify your criticism.  Add a "because .... < reasons > " to that line and I don't anyone could pick on your post.  It's in the forums rules; I've had my full share of critical posts, but I find it more useful and leading to a good discussion if I identify what I found wrong.  A compelling argument is always good.  Short jabs just lead to spammy "Not aww!" posts or insults, or a derailment.

Unless you had something else that got deleted faster than Google could pick up.  You do seem to have an obsession with picking on games with 12 y/o's, which can come across bad to either those in that category, parents who don't like insults, or to those older who like the game and don't like to be called immature, etc.  /shrug

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    I think they sometimes take too mcuh notice of people's 'reports'.  You can have a complete asshat who trolls all day long report you and wind up with a temp ban, when the warning should go straight back to the originator.  
  • RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289
    Originally posted by Rayshe
    Originally posted by Aeonblades

They dont look at it, i got in trouble for a comment saying something along the lines of "So your like games where all you do is stab things" which was consitered trolling, i faught it and they basically told me to shut up and take the warning.

BTW i criticize GW2 all the time, Because its Shite. i havent been reported for it yet.

I'm pretty sure that if you continue with your bashing of GW2, you'll get the temp ban you think you won't. Take my word on that, I have had plenty for speaking out on games.

• RazperilRazperil Member Posts: 289

Trolling usually gets you one too :)

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

I have the opposite experience, whenever I have felt a warning/ban was not right, I appeal, I receive a personal reply to each email, often the result is changed and if not I am given a reason why the appeal is rejected.

Honestly, what's a forum ban really worth?  I mean, so what, you can't post for a few days.  Ok, sure, whatever.  Go spend your time on one of the other dozens of gaming sites until they lift it.  You won't be here looking at or clicking on their ads the whole time.  It'll hurt them more than it'll hurt you. 

There's a few dozen gaming sites, but only one of you.  You're more valuable to the site by trafficking here, than this one-in-a-dozen site is valuable to you.

The only time that's not true is if you're hurting a games sales by badmouthing it constantly, because then you effect the thoughts of more people than just yourself.  Remember to pepper your criticism of anything with "optimism for the future" or pointing out what the game is doing right, and you should be safe.

lol, it's all about perspective.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by RefMinor

I have the opposite experience, whenever I have felt a warning/ban was not right, I appeal, I receive a personal reply to each email, often the result is changed and if not I am given a reason why the appeal is rejected.

^This..

And toward everyone who feels wronged, maybe the problem isn't this site. Try reviewing your posts and the wording you use. If it's not overtly venomous or lacks explanation, you might have a point. Far too often I see people complaining about warnings who do nothing but post flamebait.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• jdnycjdnyc Member UncommonPosts: 1,643
    Originally posted by Razperil

Trolling or attempting to troll can be very subjective though.  To some saying anything negative about a  game is trolling.  Most use the rationale that if you don't like said game, don't post in said game forums.  To do so constitutes trolling.  I have seen this in the GW2 thread most recently.  I think they've might of stepped up monitoring too, who knows.  I remember the Rift forums back in the day from GW2 fanatics and angry WoW players.  Boy if someone tried posting half the crap that was posted back then now in GW2 forums, I could see permabans coming.

Oh well.  It's there site, they monitor it as they see fit.  And these forums can be pretty rabid at times.  By rabid I mean toxic.

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

My inbox is cluttered with temporary bans and warnings. Yes sometimes i do go over the rail and flame. IDC. people annoy me i'll take the flakey ban. The only acceptible trolling here on MMORPG dot come is asking stupid obvious questions and getting people all riled up for nothing. Now because i've used the word stupid i litteraly can give no examples as to what im talking about because then ill be pointing fingers. Followed by my post being deleted and a waste of time. stick around long enough. it will be obvious as to what im talking about. those who've been here a while already know.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by jdnyc
    Originally posted by Razperil

Trolling or attempting to troll can be very subjective though.  To some saying anything negative about a  game is trolling.  Most use the rationale that if you don't like said game, don't post in said game forums.  To do so constitutes trolling.  I have seen this in the GW2 thread most recently.  I think they've might of stepped up monitoring too, who knows.  I remember the Rift forums back in the day from GW2 fanatics and angry WoW players.  Boy if someone tried posting half the crap that was posted back then now in GW2 forums, I could see permabans coming.

Oh well.  It's there site, they monitor it as they see fit.  And these forums can be pretty rabid at times.  By rabid I mean toxic.

I don't post in any forum, I post in threads that appear on the recent forum posts page.

This discussion has been closed.