Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Play

Comments

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    the op wouldnt dare post this in eve online official forums. for all the people that got discouraged by this idiot you can be good in eve online in about 3 month time frame...they balanced frigates, destroyers, cruisers and all of those ships are great pvp machines. all u really need to train is gunnery skills, some defensive skills, navigation, and whatever ship u wanna use.

Eve isnt really a 1v1 type of mmorpg. so u dont have to worry about fair fights.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by ssunatzu
     Stay away from this game.  Otherwise, you will spend most of your time developing your character.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by mastergravy
    who ever in ther right minde believes that this game has 500k subs has lost there god damn minds. you can check this your self log in on any givin day at any time you will see only 50k-75k online. so lets get this right they have half a mil subs and only a fraction are playing the game. bull shit

Can you link to the data that indicates what percentage of an MMO's playerbase is usually online at one time? I am interested in what you are basing that statement on.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Stryx74

Hopefully this can save much time and heartache for those planning on jumping ship from there current MMO. Turn back NOW!

But seriously, EVE is a pretty niche MMO that would never grab the kind of player numbers that a game like WoW  would generate no matter how more user friendly/easier they made it. The game has a dedicated fan base that has enabled CCP to develop it for almost ten years all while making a profit. I only played the game for a few months but I hope they never listen to you and alienate that base in exchange for appealing to the masses.

it's 10 year celebrations this year! :D

I'm thinking about reactivating my sub again, they've got a good deal for returners :D

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I think I relate better to Dwarves and Elves than I do a space ship.....I have no interest in giving other people my stuff so no temptation here.
  • gasperkgasperk Member Posts: 84

Well.... this game is not for people that want to reach end game over a night with no work.

Just play and have fun. Stop crying because you cant catch veteran players with 1 button.

Focus on the journey, not the destination. Joy is found not in finishing an activity but in doing it. 

-Greg Anderson

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by korent1991
    Originally posted by Stryx74     Hopefully this can save much time and heartache for those planning on jumping ship from there current MMO. Turn back NOW!    But seriously, EVE is a pretty niche MMO that would never grab the kind of player numbers that a game like WoW  would generate no matter how more user friendly/easier they made it. The game has a dedicated fan base that has enabled CCP to develop it for almost ten years all while making a profit. I only played the game for a few months but I hope they never listen to you and alienate that base in exchange for appealing to the masses.

I'm thinking about reactivating my sub again, they've got a good deal for returners :D

I thought about playing some eve lately and buying maybe 6 months sub try help me get into it. I saw the 3 month deal and might just get that.

The major issues i usually run into when playing eve:

*The loneliness of space. Don't really run into many ships to do stuff with (i like pve but eve doesn't lend itself to getting some ppl together and running some complexes ect really want to try some incursions but that hasn't come to be either)

*The lack of grind. Might seem silly to some people but i actually miss something to work at with the skill system working at in real time. Theres isk, and rep which are really trivial and something you mostly have to work at solo. Which defeats the purpose of an mmorpg imo.

*Time to progress. I dont like the fact that skills take 2 months to aquire. it makes me feel like i just bought the skill for the price of 2 subs and it gets delivered in 2 months.

I really love this game tho, and wish the company the best of luck hopefully ill return soon...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• Nikky70Nikky70 Member Posts: 12

Obvious troll is obvious. The next time you want to really troll, may i advise that OP doesent post showing he's a goon.

Whats the matter, have you been shouted down on Kugu, eve24 and the mittani.com?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by Stryx74     Hopefully this can save much time and heartache for those planning on jumping ship from there current MMO. Turn back NOW!    But seriously, EVE is a pretty niche MMO that would never grab the kind of player numbers that a game like WoW  would generate no matter how more user friendly/easier they made it. The game has a dedicated fan base that has enabled CCP to develop it for almost ten years all while making a profit. I only played the game for a few months but I hope they never listen to you and alienate that base in exchange for appealing to the masses.

I thought about playing some eve lately and buying maybe 6 months sub try help me get into it. I saw the 3 month deal and might just get that.

*The loneliness of space. Don't really run into many ships to do stuff with (i like pve but eve doesn't lend itself to getting some ppl together and running some complexes ect really want to try some incursions but that hasn't come to be either)

*The lack of grind. Might seem silly to some people but i actually miss something to work at with the skill system working at in real time. Theres isk, and rep which are really trivial and something you mostly have to work at solo. Which defeats the purpose of an mmorpg imo.

*Time to progress. I dont like the fact that skills take 2 months to aquire. it makes me feel like i just bought the skill for the price of 2 subs and it gets delivered in 2 months.

I really love this game tho, and wish the company the best of luck hopefully ill return soon...

Hey, yeah I was thinking about that 3 months deal as well :) it's really a good offer.

First time I played I had that feeling, I was all alone and I had no idea what to do.. I was wondering around and doing some random quests like an idiot and asked my self "what's the purpose of this?"... But then, the lucky guy I am, I ran into this super sweet capsuleer who actually decided to help me out and got me into his corporation/alliance and she explained me the things I asked about in EVE and thus made my starter EVE days alot easier. First time I played it laster around 3 months, after that I reactivated and played for about a year and few months, and this is my second return to the game and I'm planing on staying longer than I did last time.

First thing I'll do is finding a decent corporation to mine and get planetary interactions sorted (it seems fun) so I have some decent ISK income and do some missions together so I won't feel alone out there in universe.

The time to get skills is usually long and it really does take alot of time to get something, in the mean time I usually go out and explore the mid sections of the universe in order to find some of the rarer materials to mine (with the help of stronger and more PVPish corp. members to watch my back) or just do some random quests like cargoing, etc...

The last *, yeah, I've got the same feeling... But after like 3 months of playing, last time, I was able to get my PLEX via in-game currency and when I got my first PLEX, that feeling was mostly gone :D...

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• Nikky70Nikky70 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by ssunatzu
     I plan to do so but I realize as well that it will take me forever before I can play with the Big Boys.

So thats why your in goon waffe?

• LesrachLesrach Member UncommonPosts: 112

Why on earth would you not let people, who love/prefer EVE style, have their game? You choose a game of your taste and play that.

I'm having hard time understanding people, who think the world should turn just around their belly button.

Hey, yeah I was thinking about that 3 months deal as well :) it's really a good offer.

First time I played I had that feeling, I was all alone and I had no idea what to do.. I was wondering around and doing some random quests like an idiot and asked my self "what's the purpose of this?"... But then, the lucky guy I am, I ran into this super sweet capsuleer who actually decided to help me out and got me into his corporation/alliance and she explained me the things I asked about in EVE and thus made my starter EVE days alot easier. First time I played it laster around 3 months, after that I reactivated and played for about a year and few months, and this is my second return to the game and I'm planing on staying longer than I did last time.

Yeah pretty much the same thing happened to me.. There are alot of great helpful players out in eve, (along with some very devious ones lol) I sometimes wonder what happened to those people..

First thing I'll do is finding a decent corporation to mine and get planetary interactions sorted (it seems fun) so I have some decent ISK income and do some missions together so I won't feel alone out there in universe.
    I tried doing that pretty heavily for awhile. can be fun its a great mini game from memory.

The time to get skills is usually long and it really does take alot of time to get something, in the mean time I usually go out and explore the mid sections of the universe in order to find some of the rarer materials to mine (with the help of stronger and more PVPish corp. members to watch my back) or just do some random quests like cargoing, etc...
    Ive been in some really great corps but i usually *unsub* before i can gain enough skill to help effectively.

For example if i went back now i would like to do some wormhole space, But i know i need several weeks/months to get the necessary scanning skills in order to get around in wormhole space never mind the combat skills to deal with the sleeper (?) mobs.

I also like the idea of defending miners against attackers but that never seemed to happen even tho i have enough skills to cover that job :)

The last *, yeah, I've got the same feeling... But after like 3 months of playing, last time, I was able to get my PLEX via in-game currency and when I got my first PLEX, that feeling was mostly gone :D...

If i could find a... "good" way to pay for my gametime with in game currency then i think i could invest alot more time in eve.

I did the maths once, I would have to run a lvl 5 mission every day for the month in order to get enough isk to cover the plex. That got old at about day 14 lol.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    who ever in ther right minde believes that this game has 500k subs has lost there god damn minds. you can check this your self log in on any givin day at any time you will see only 50k-75k online. so lets get this right they have half a mil subs and only a fraction are playing the game. bull shit

Can you link to the data that indicates what percentage of an MMO's playerbase is usually online at one time? I am interested in what you are basing that statement on.

When you log into the game the splash page tells you exactly how many people are online at that very minute.  They don't hide that data like most all other MMO's.  He's correct, the game almost never has more than 55k online from when I last logged on which was about four months ago.

500k subs may be how many they've racked up over the lifetime of the game, but I find it extremely hard to believe that the game actually has 500K current subs.  Mayyyyyybe 150K current active subs, of which 55K are online at any given time. and even then a good 25% or more of those accounts are alts or trial accounts, which means that there are probably only 30K actual real players on at any given time.

I myself and every person in my corporation, bar two or three people, have 2+ accounts.  One of my corpies has 5+ accounts and is usually logged onto 3 of them at any given time.  I'm personaly logged onto both of my primary accounts every time I play.  One is earning ISK for me and the other is usually looking for something to shoot.

Forbes and CCP and everyone else never points out those two little pertinent bits of data when wowing people about how many subs they have.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Malcanis

I believe TQ has just under 400k subs. If you assume that an average eve player is logged in for 20 hours a week, then we'd expect to see an average of 400,000 x (20/168) = 47,600 online.

Maths is great!

there is total of 1667 skill ranks. each rank is 256k SP. total skill points equals 426,752,000.

at 2700 SP/hour, it would take about 18 years to learn all skills to level 5.

at 2100 SP/hour, it would take 23.2 years to learn all skills to level 5.

from there fourms-

do you really believe that just 20hours a week can get anywhere close to these numbers. lets just say at 100 hours a week. now with this fourmula your useing you belive there is 200k online now. iam sorry but i cant agree with your math you simply just shit out that holds no merit to the games real time table

How on earth is that relevant to concurrent players vs total subscribers?

Also, clearly you have never played EvE, if you had you would realise the hours you play have no bearing on the skill points you accumulate, NOT one single player will max out the skills in EvE for another decade or so.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Never stop posting!

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Malcanis

I believe TQ has just under 400k subs. If you assume that an average eve player is logged in for 20 hours a week, then we'd expect to see an average of 400,000 x (20/168) = 47,600 online.

Maths is great!

there is total of 1667 skill ranks. each rank is 256k SP. total skill points equals 426,752,000.

at 2700 SP/hour, it would take about 18 years to learn all skills to level 5.

at 2100 SP/hour, it would take 23.2 years to learn all skills to level 5.

from there fourms-

do you really believe that just 20hours a week can get anywhere close to these numbers. lets just say at 100 hours a week. now with this fourmula your useing you belive there is 200k online now. iam sorry but i cant agree with your math you simply just shit out that holds no merit to the games real time table

Did you work all that out from your 55hrs of playing EvE?

http://raptr.com/mastergravy/games/sort/hours_played

Originally posted by Nitth

i guess u want a game like GW2 where a big flashy icon appears sayin team up now to do this...i run level 4s mostly with people. u get 2 maradurs and own then while salvaging at the same time. refine loot and split...rinse and repeat..also in null alot of people run sites with people and complexes etc..also in WH people run sites together as well...people mine together with orcas. dont forget incursions..people still do them. trust me skills dont mean as much as isk...everything from implants to buying research to pos fuel etc cost isk...

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Nikky70

Obvious troll is obvious. The next time you want to really troll, may i advise that OP doesent post showing he's a goon.

Whats the matter, have you been shouted down on Kugu, eve24 and the mittani.com?

He got a lot of haters to pile on.  Give credit where credit is due.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Originally posted by shingoukieh
    i guess u want a game like GW2 where a big flashy icon appears sayin team up now to do this...

That's not what im saying at all, Let me try and explain abit better.

Most of the time the only way to determine if there are other people in the system is by local or scanning and not actually seeing them with avatars, When you do run into their avatars I* Find you don't have that interactions like in other mmorpgs where you say "hey, Wana go mine some rocks?" because they usually wana just blow you out of the sky :) or wont interact at all..

Now that's cool, I understand what eve is, and how pvp plays into that.
    its like how you describe, You play with corps or a white list of players rather than strangers.

i run level 4s mostly with people. u get 2 maradurs and own then while salvaging at the same time. refine loot and split...rinse and repeat..
    Gona take along time to skill out a marauder.. My mega is barely all T2..
    But yeah, Doing mission running with corps is cool and fun, But im experience that that doesn't happen as much as i would like.. Like in most games people are out there doing stuff for number 1.

Which is understandable Not winging about that, that's just how it is.
    But it would be nice to be able to search for "randoms" to fill the void when the corp is bizzy.

also in null alot of people run sites with people and complexes etc..also in WH people run sites together as well...people mine together with orcas. dont forget incursions..people still do them. trust me skills dont mean as much as isk...everything from implants to buying research to pos fuel etc cost isk...
     [/b][/quote]

Ideally that's what i wana do, Get out there in wormhold space and find a great, Easy going corp to do things with.

I really like the idea of being self sufficient out there.

But like you said gona get that cash comming in :)

ya i understand what u mean by local...usually local is quiet outside of major trade hubs...what got me goin in eve when i started was the multiple chat rooms for instance help channel. talk in there and also with the starting npc corp they give great advice. it is hard to make friends in eve due to the potential backstabbing. been playing 3 years and honestly only made like 10 friends. but those 10 friends i consider true friends. basically if i lived in their city we would proly hang out a bit.

I do think a LFG tool would work in this game...so if u were looking for incursion or mission or mining u could find it.  sometimes i find myself in the same jam as you...i was tryin to find an incursion group the other day and hate to revert back to the whole spam LFG  sheild to find one. if u lookin for a corp u can join the corp im in...its small but active..and we run actually play together...

Sounds to me you really wanna like the game but having a hard time getting into it due to the fact u gotta figure out everything yourself. It sucks yeah but only advice i can honestly give is talk to people and find a great corp. Playin the game with great people is the only way to play.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Originally posted by h0urg1ass

TL:DR - As an eight year veteran of EVE Online, I can tell you that starting out right now will leave you far behind the power curve.  No matter what line of bullshit anyone feeds you, you won't be able to compete in nearly any  aspect of the game without six months of skill training.

I can sympathize with the OP.  In February of 2005 it was anyone's game.  In February of 2013 it takes a special kind of patience, or complete ignorance of just how low you start off, to even attempt to play the game.

The biggest two things that you'll have to overcome if you want to play EVE are the power creep and the time sink.  It's probably the most time consuming games I have ever played, and I played it almost daily for five years.  It is honestly like having a second job.  In other MMO's, you can start playing and grind your way to max level and then join the ranks of max level players for end game content.  EVE is not like this.  End game content is whatever you decide to do, and it's not weeks away from a new player, it's literally years away.

I got in at nearly ground level, when the game was still in it's infancy and the most players you could find online during peak hours was maybe 15,000.  Back then you didn't need many SP to compete with other players.  These days players have so many support skills and high level weapon skills, that a new player is little more than cannon fodder.

It requires an enormous investment in time no matter what you decide to do in game, and on top of that, pretty much anything that you decide to do already has dozens of people doing it  far more efficiently than you.  This doesn't mean that you will never be as efficient, but you have an uphill battle against players who have hundreds of millions of skill points and hundreds of billions of ISK like myself.

For instance, if you want to become a manufacturer in the game, then you'll spend months or years just building up the skills.  Then you have to research blueprints or purchase researched blueprints neither of which is cheap.  Then you need a source of materials to manufacture with.  Are you going to mine the minerals yourself or buy them?  Buying them will cut heavily into your profit margin, but mining them yourself will require you owning multiple accounts that do nothing but mine all day in order to feed your manufacturing character with free materials.

Then you'll have to set up some kind of production line, which requires a fair amount of capital investment.  Even when you've done all of this, you're still competing with dozens of guys who have been doing it for a decade, who have unlimited capital and unlike you, they can spend two months selling ships at a loss in your territory, just to push you out of the business cause you can't afford to take losses.  That's just for T1 manufacturing.  T2 manufacturing is a whole different level of skills and resources needed, and even then you're competing with people who have T2 BPO's which you simply will not ever have.

Want to PVP?  Sure everyone will tell you that you can spend a month training and become a tackler, but honestly people only tell you that because tackler is a high risk job in PVP, that more often than not will lead to you being dead and podded.  They don't want to be the guy who ends up dead and podded so they tell all the new players that they can easily get into PVP if they'll just learn to tackle. 

Are you solo PVP'ing?  Well you'll need a good two years of training before you will even come close to winning a fight against my seven year old dedicated PVP'er.  Not only do I have all of my gunnery skills, even the advanced ones, trained to 5, but all of my support skills are trained to five.  In the same exact ship as you, I'm faster, I can travel that fast for longer than you, I'm more agile, my guns shoot further, my guns track better, my guns do far more dps, I have far more capacitor to work with, my drones are faster, my drones are more durable, my un-bonused drones probaby do more DPS than your T1 guns, and oh by the way, I also have an off grid alt in a T3 ship providing gang bonus's to my main.  Most of the time, I can even beat you if I'm flying an Assault Frig and you're flying a Battleship.  You simply won't have the advantages that I have.  My Assault Frig has years of skills behind it, and your Battleship probably doesn't have T2 guns much less a T2 tank without a good six months invested in the game, and that's if you have enough discipline to train only one races ships.

In order to be effective in EVE at this point, you will have to have the patience to specialize your character to do exactly one thing extremely well.  You will have to pick something like ECM and train exclusively to fly ECM ships to the best of your ability, before you should think about flying something else.  Why?  Because there are hundreds of people who can already fly ECM ships at max skill level.  You can try to do a lot of things all at once, but honestly at this point in the game, you'll be shitty at a lot of things instead of good at one thing.

I know this post sounds like you shouldn't even bother with playing EVE, if you're just starting out now.  I'm not trying to say that, I'm just pointing out the reality of the game currently.  You can still be a valuable asset to a corporation one day, but it won't happen overnight.  It will take patience and dedication and a ton of work.

Well said  and completly agree I am a 9 yr off and on player.

I started in beta, and you guys are wrong. You are sooooo wrong. I live in WH space and do PvP. We have taken in players as young as 3 months and they kill shit just fine.

What is killing EvE is the Elitist notion that was once represented by BoB and now (lol oh the irony) the Goons, that you need to have certain skills and fly specific ships to be usefull. The notion that you have to be "effective" to play. No, you need balls to play. Truth is that a n00b with balls have no problem taking down those "elite", "effective" and "specialized" players. I see it happen every day.

Its just wrong. Do youself a favor and leave those big 0.0 outfits and go play in the TRUE eve of low/WH/factional warfare. Thats where the fun is these days.

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Originally posted by shingoukieh

I do think a LFG tool would work in this game...so if u were looking for incursion or mission or mining u could find it.  sometimes i find myself in the same jam as you...i was tryin to find an incursion group the other day and hate to revert back to the whole spam LFG  sheild to find one. if u lookin for a corp u can join the corp im in...its small but active..and we run actually play together...

Funny story. The EvE fleet finder IS a LFG tool. And NOONE use it...

• cyriciancyrician Member UncommonPosts: 189

I have been playing Eve for 5 years here are tips for new players from my 5 years experience .

1. Don't ever trust anyone in eve .

2. Never fly alone 

3 . What you do in Eve now will bennifit you 6 months after you do it.

4. Learn the mechanics of the game with good planning you can make serious ISK.

5. Play the market and profit from people's laziness.

6. If its too good to be true it often is

7. Do all the tutorials and never auto pilot anywhere.

8. Don't fly what you can't afford to replace.

9. Don't go to null sec until you can tackle in a frigate 

10. Learn to manufacture it save a lot of ship replacements

Current games;
    Star treck online
    Rift
    Eve online
    Firefall

• ZecktorinZecktorin Member Posts: 231

I did fine in Nullsec after playing for 6 months 0.o

You only need a battlecruiser. This means you gave incorrect information. You dont need to play tons to get to that point thats why skills train when your logged off.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Some people prefer a slower paced game?  Also you can survive in null fairly early on, with some focused skill planning, and a decent corp.  If you are expecting to roam around null solo having a grand ol time....well, and I dont often say this.....you're doing it wrong.