Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million subscribers

Comments

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

like this guy makes "fun" music

Touche.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by expresso

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million

So the conclusion is Blizzard is making a killing regardless rite?

Thought you'd never say!

Yes. They always do because they make fun games.

It's true. They do make fun games. They make them well.  And it seems people around here think that is a bad thing. "What? The game is fun and not a second job?? Then it must be for kids!"

Fun is subjective ("Gaming experience may change during gameplay" as they like to tag on the box) but games they make are definitely well made and bug free.

I guess success always has a reason lol ;)

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am looking forward to SC 2 HoS as well as Diablo III expansion.

This forum is funny...Anet sells 3m copies and they are perceived as the most successful company in the history of PC gaming. Blizz sells 12m copies of ARPG, maintains +- 10m subscribers in 8 year old MMO, yet they suck according to many people here.

That guy above even claimed that there are 11m+ disappointed people who will never buy Blizz product again...are you serious?

I never understood that either. Anet/GW2 ... must have invested tons of money into forum dwellers. I never saw a game pushed this way. Never. Not even SW TOR or Lotro or Aion.

Furthermore ANET sell ALL their lacking stuff as a kind of "revolution" by NOT having it...

NO mount systems. revolution. NO seamless worlds between zones: revolution. NO open world PvP: revolution. Only closed zones with closed borders : revolution. Masses of loading screens as the only way of fast transports: revolution.

If Blizzard or Bioware would have made GW2 I think  the internet would explode with RAGE about all these lacking features, but in GW2 it is considered the next big thing alongside slided bread.

Strange worlds we live in these days ...

Yeah strange people in this world. In what game, did you play that is totally free and open - Rift is 1/3 the size of GW as it is with the expansion - so dont say Rift - you do move between servers there. Dont say WoW - you fly in WoW and that is your loading screen - same with Tera.

WHO CARES ABOUT MOUNTS - you have the portal system. The game was not designed for  open world PvP so that is a non-starter. Well if you actually paid for the servers, like A.Net does, you would worry about how to have the game play on simpler systems.

Blizzard and Bioware are resting on their laurels - WoW is a also ran.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

So?

Are u so sure that  people are actually caring about other people's earnigs.

I dont give a shit how much money they have or how many fools they have under their hunting carots.

The fact that u started a thread  pointing out earnigs of a company should start making worry about your self.Just a small tip that will help in your life

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by expresso

Diablo 3 sells over 12 million, WoW has over 9.6 million

So the conclusion is Blizzard is making a killing regardless rite?

Thought you'd never say!

Yes. They always do because they make fun games.

It's true. They do make fun games. They make them well.  And it seems people around here think that is a bad thing. "What? The game is fun and not a second job?? Then it must be for kids!"

Fun is subjective ("Gaming experience may change during gameplay" as they like to tag on the box) but games they make are definitely well made and bug free.

I guess success always has a reason lol ;)

Fun is subjective. Success means that you get millions to have subjective fun in your game, and are willing to pay for it.

You don't need to get them all, just enough of them.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,853

Originally posted by Zefire
    So?Are u so sure that  people are actually caring about other people's earnigs.I dont give a shit how much money they have or how many fools they have under their hunting carots.The fact that u started a thread  pointing out earnigs of a company should start making worry about your self.Just a small tip that will help in your life
    "Don't throw stones in a glass house"

You are worrying about someone worrying about someone elses finances.

Just a small tip that will help in YOUR life.

On topic - last quarter Blizzard said MoP was doing very well in China and achieved over 1 million concurrent players, this quarter Blizzard says that most of the losses were in China.

Guess the Chinese didnt like the Chinese motif of MoP.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

I find it kinda odd that Blizzard are making money hand-over-fist with SC2, Diablo 3 and WoW yet the best they can muster is expansion after expansion.

What's the point of sitting on a bank account stuffed to the brim with profit if you don't invest it - since those titles aren't gonna last forever.

If they aren't careful they'll be the next ID Software - remember them? They make iPhone games now.

Originally posted by SuperNick

I find it kinda odd that Blizzard are making money hand-over-fist with SC2, Diablo 3 and WoW yet the best they can muster is expansion after expansion.

What's the point of sitting on a bank account stuffed to the brim with profit if you don't invest it - since those titles aren't gonna last forever.

If they aren't careful they'll be the next ID Software - remember them? They make iPhone games now.

Because they take their time? How many years did it take for them to make Sc2? D3? Very many .. that is investment.

Now if you say that they are conservative and don't invest in new IP, then i would agree. But saying they don't invest? That is clearly wrong.

D3, given its long dev cycle, probably cost a lot to make (although they made in back in spades ... 12m copies .. that is like $720M, not as impressive as WOW but more money than most blockbuster movies). That is invesstment.

Originally posted by SuperNick

What is wrong with iphone games? Some are more fun than many MMOs.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by sportsfan
    Originally posted by coretex666

I am looking forward to SC 2 HoS as well as Diablo III expansion.

This forum is funny...Anet sells 3m copies and they are perceived as the most successful company in the history of PC gaming. Blizz sells 12m copies of ARPG, maintains +- 10m subscribers in 8 year old MMO, yet they suck according to many people here.

That guy above even claimed that there are 11m+ disappointed people who will never buy Blizz product again...are you serious?

I never understood that either. Anet/GW2 ... must have invested tons of money into forum dwellers. I never saw a game pushed this way. Never. Not even SW TOR or Lotro or Aion.

Furthermore ANET sell ALL their lacking stuff as a kind of "revolution" by NOT having it...

NO mount systems. revolution. NO seamless worlds between zones: revolution. NO open world PvP: revolution. Only closed zones with closed borders : revolution. Masses of loading screens as the only way of fast transports: revolution.

If Blizzard or Bioware would have made GW2 I think  the internet would explode with RAGE about all these lacking features, but in GW2 it is considered the next big thing alongside slided bread.

Strange worlds we live in these days ...

Yeah strange people in this world. In what game, did you play that is totally free and open - Rift is 1/3 the size of GW as it is with the expansion - so dont say Rift - you do move between servers there. Dont say WoW - you fly in WoW and that is your loading screen - same with Tera.

WHO CARES ABOUT MOUNTS - you have the portal system. The game was not designed for  open world PvP so that is a non-starter. Well if you actually paid for the servers, like A.Net does, you would worry about how to have the game play on simpler systems.

Blizzard and Bioware are resting on their laurels - WoW is a also ran.

Do you have a bat signal or something?  no matter what part of forum you are always there to defend GW2's honor. 

Also, i really doubt that Rift with its new exapnsion is still 1/3 the size of GW. No mounts give an illusion of a bigger world in GW2.  Moreover in WOW you only see loading screens while traveling between the continents..??other than that zonign is seamless. Even Vanguard nailed it so many years ago.

He has a point though. Anet devotees would never see anything wrong with what they do.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Hey if you like wow, just kick back and play wow....

....while watching a Michael bay movie or big brother and listening to a "best of xfactor" album.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

....while watching a Michael bay movie or big brother and listening to a "best of xfactor" album.

We are. Lots of us are. Not sure how many are watching movies, reality shows and bad music while we play tho.

I guess those of us that enjoy WoW are just mindless lemmings that only like mainstream things and can't possibly just enjoy something because it's fun.

I wish we were as cool as ShakyMo so we can partake in a truely artistic and mind expanding MMO. But alas...we are all low brow idiots.

Aren't you stating the obvious. If i like wow, of course, i will play wow.

.. or i will watch the Avengers again. Isn't it amazing that WOW is making more money than the Avenger? (although probably not in 2012).

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

I played Wow for 6yrs but the pandas were enough to me...

I bought diablo 3 played 2 charcs to inferno then i asked for a refund, and blizzard gave it to me, wrote them a open letter so big that they only said sorry to dissapointing me. 

Blizzard is dead for me since Activision got into their bussiness, but hey! the same company that makes Call of Duty and Guitar Hero cant be bad right!?

Beta tester maniac

Originally posted by berlight

I bought diablo 3 played 2 charcs to inferno then i asked for a refund, and blizzard gave it to me, wrote them a open letter so big that they only said sorry to dissapointing me. 

Blizzard is dead for me since Activision got into their bussiness, but hey! the same company that makes Call of Duty and Guitar Hero cant be bad right!?

You played TWO characters to inferno and you still ask for a refund? What is wrong with you?

And yes, some COD are very fun games.

Hey if people use the "it has the most players therefore its the best" argument, don't complain when people point out other things that are hugely popular but also shite.
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Hey if people use the "it has the most players therefore its the best" argument, don't complain when people point out other things that are hugely popular but also shite.

Don't let the anti-hipsters get to you, revel in your superiority through correct consumer choices.

• berlightberlight Member UncommonPosts: 345

You played TWO characters to inferno and you still ask for a refund? What is wrong with you?

I asked for a refund because i was in the right to do it.

Today most of my friends regrets they didnt do the same thing.

Diablo 3 was a very dissapointing game for me,i explained why and they understood that.

Beta tester maniac

Some things can be popular and good like say skyrim.

But yeah stick me in the hipster camp. As you get older you start to realise most people are morons, hence the popularity of plastic manufactured pop music, low iq required reality television, books "penned" by z list "celebrities" and "sod plot add more explosions and t&a" movies.
  • RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279
    Hey look Blizzard fans are stroking their E-peen again.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

I asked for a refund because i was in the right to do it.

Today most of my friends regrets they didnt do the same thing.

Diablo 3 was a very dissapointing game for me,i explained why and they understood that.

Yeah .. he played it to Inferno .. for TWO characters. That means max level. If it is so disappoiting, why spent so much time on it? I can understand if he played for 5 hours and did not like it, but level TWO characters to inferno?

He likes it enough to spend 10s of hours. It is just disengenous to play a game for 10s of hours, and turn around and ask for a refund.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by Volgore

So Blizzard is fabricating numbers again...this shoe is as old as WoW is.

Any other news?

Companies generally can't fabricate numbers like this...  Not without running into Enron-level problems.

You make me like charity

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by cybertrucker

WOW subscription numbers give a misrepresentation of how many people are truly currently playing due to the way Asian countries track their accounts. I figure about a 3rd of that number might be more accurate for actual  current people logging in to play.

That is nothing unique to WoW.  All MMO's pretty much track the numbers the same way.

Anyway, the comments in these threads make me laugh some times.  It's like, any good news and you get people actively trying to nitpick it into a bad light.  I can't stand WoW anymore, but the game still sells.

You make me like charity

• dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271

Hilarous how people start with conspiracy theories about fake numbers with the sub definition disclaimer right there in the first post.

I am simply FORCED to conclude the vast majority of you here are incapable of comprehending text.

It's not even legalese, for Pete's sake.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Originally posted by Aeonblades
    Who cares. They haven't had anything worth playing really since the first few months of WoW and D2. 12 million copies or not, D3 is completely dead for online play. And WoW...well let's just say things haven't worked out for people who actually want a game to play.

LOL .. so much hate.

D3 is still top 10 on xfire, and certainly way more people are playing it, than something like Eve. Want to be the expansion is going to sell millions?

You do realize online play doesnt mean being logged into xfire while you are solo farming act 3 inferno right? If that is your definition of online play I really feel sorry for you. Who uses xfire anymore anyway? It's like bragging about having a nice set of sneakers, no one cares about your shoes.

Every game they make will sell millions. That doesn't mean its worth playing or even a good product. I was one of the biggest Blizzard fanboys in the world back during D2 and WC2/3 days, but I feel like they have completely lost track of what made them great.

I will say this, despite my utter disappointment in Blizzard, if the D3 xpac looks good, I'll buy it if not just to get my money's worth out of the original. The D2 xpac greatly improved D2 imo, even though the original was pretty damn good too.

Twist it however way you want but you said online was dead which is clearly not the case. I have never had any problems finding parties to play with and there are tons of people online. This is something I cant say for a lot of other games. The original D2 was kind crappy. LoD made that game great.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.