Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Profiles: Sandbox player vs Themepark Player

(Disclaimer: I’ve seen the Themepark vs Sandbox thread, and since this post is not on topic with what is currently being discussed, I didn’t want to derail their conversation. Please let me know if I need to move this or repost elsewhere.)

Hello all,

I’m working on an infographic for a project I’m doing and I’m looking for a little insight on the type of players that play sandbox MMOs and themepark MMOs. Obviously stereotypes are out there, but I’m really just looking for why someone plays one over the other. Any information would be helpful: personality traits, opinions, preferences, ect. Please just let me know why you play one over the other!

Thanks! image

Comments

• uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

I'm a "I enjoy this game and have never bothered to give half a crap about the asinine war between 'themepark' and 'sandbox' so I'm going to go back to enjoying my game now."

Not sure what type that is...

• waterbuffalo13waterbuffalo13 Member Posts: 4
    Haha nice answer, and I agree with that. This is more for just infomation gathering, not really finding out what side is better. Perhaps you can be the third side of it that is tired of all the bs around it? That an interesting idea.. 
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

I play both styles of games. Actually, I also play all kinds of games - strategy and roguelikes being my other 2 favorite genres. I like turn based stuff for some reason. But I like to jump into an FPS every once in a while too.

Anyway, I feel like the, "I only like sandboxes!" vocal minority complains way, way too much. It's like every themepark big name release is an affront to their sensibilities and the world must be corrected in some way to make up for the disparity between what they think is fun and what apparently, judging by what gets made and bought the most, most other people think is fun.

"You must be an idiot if you have fun playing THAT game." That kind of mentality is annoying at best and disturbing at worst. And it's really common around here.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    I live in my Mother's basement, I am 42 single and somewhat overweight, I like Themeparks.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    I live in my Mother's basement, I am 42 single and somewhat overweight, I like Themeparks.

Hot pockets: Yay or nay?

Originally posted by Psychow
    Originally posted by RefMinor

Hot pockets: Yay or nay?

Only if flambé'd in full fat Mountain Dew and topped with crushed Doritos and melted Dairylea triangles.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    This will not end well.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

Hmm. So would you say that the situation between sandbox and themepark gamers is similar to that of the one between Battlefield and Call of Duty gamers, respectively? Where the numbers would indicate that more people consume and enjoy Call of Duty, but the Battlefield community is very vocal about the superiority of their game?

That’s definitely very interesting.

Haha @RefMinor thank you for that, pretty much exactly what I’m looking for. 

http://memegenerator.net/instance/34730542

(forum noob link) 

• MightyChasmMightyChasm Member Posts: 298
    Couldn't give a crap if is labelled themepark or sandbox; a good game is a good game and a bad one a bad one.  
    Originally posted by waterbuffalo13

Hmm. So would you say that the situation between sandbox and themepark gamers is similar to that of the one between Battlefield and Call of Duty gamers, respectively? Where the numbers would indicate that more people consume and enjoy Call of Duty, but the Battlefield community is very vocal about the superiority of their game?

Actually that's just like arguing about  WoW and GW2, ARMA II is the clearly superior game.

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770

Themeparks - Achiever, Killer

Sandbox - Socializer, Explorer, Killer

I want a boxpark.

Edit: got a laugh when googling boxpark.

Common theme amongst us all: Killer

Good luck world! 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think we need a new term - "glorified lobby game"

As there is a vast difference between old school open world themeparks like EQ & daoc and recent instanced to hell and back level up then sit in cities queueing to do stuff games like swtor,tsw and Neverwinter.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by waterbuffalo13

Common theme amongst us all: Killer

Good luck world! 

Now where are all the first year sociology and psychology majors to tell us how disturbed we are?  The PvP threads are full of them.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville