Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Dev Journal] Neverwinter: Get Everything You Want By Playing

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Cryptic Studios is bringing our readers an exclusive look at how the studio plans to monetize Neverwinter. Penned by none other than CEO Jack Emmert, it's the world's first look at a groundbreaking new system of "free to play". Read on and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Though we've done several MMORPG's in the past, Neverwinter is distinctly different than all the others we've made. Yes, it's fantasy and we've never done that before, but that isn't what I mean. Neverwinter is 100% from launch a free-to-play MMORPG. No box. No subscription. No mandatory purchase. Nothing. It's just a great game you can download and play as you like.

Read more of Jack Emmert's Neverwinter: Get Everything You Want By Playing.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    This is what I was hoping for and wish more game companies would do the same. The only thing I have to say is, I want to play a Drow without paying cash. Hey, he said I could do anything without paying, right?

• FalcomithFalcomith Member UncommonPosts: 830
    Originally posted by Kilrain
    This is what I was hoping for and wish more game companies would do the same. The only thing I have to say is, I want to play a Drow without paying cash. Hey, he said I could do anything without paying, right?

You might have missed this...

"And please note that last sentence -- you can get everything you want by playing. Everything. This includes mounts, costumes, etc. Why? How? Because you can put your Astral Diamonds up on an auction house and sell them for micro-transactable points. Then you can purchase anything you'd like in our micro-transaction store. "

It looks like we might be able to purchase the Drow using that method. Assuming the Drow will be in the store eventually. I hope so.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

It's a similar system to Guild Wars 2 - you can choose to invest immediately or farm your way up to get what you want by 'trading' currency.

As long as they don't go nuts and have the best endgame gear purchaseable with diamonds, it'll be fine.

I've seen systems like this before and sometimes what happens is you can choose to farm 200 hours and hope you get the best gear or invest 5 dollars for it.. sure, you can achieve it without paying real money but the system is engineered in such a way to make that task so daunting you'd sooner get your wallet out.

The same thing could apply to the foundry, which will potentially cost diamonds (much like how it cost currency in STO) - sure, you can farm for it but you're still restricted because the amount of time you need to invest to reach that stage is ungodly.

It's good to hear their model is somewhat decent but this article from the CEO feels evasive to me.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by Falcomith

"And please note that last sentence -- you can get everything you want by playing. Everything. This includes mounts, costumes, etc. Why? How? Because you can put your Astral Diamonds up on an auction house and sell them for micro-transactable points. Then you can purchase anything you'd like in our micro-transaction store. "

It looks like we might be able to purchase the Drow using that method. Assuming the Drow will be in the store eventually. I hope so.

Drow are available for free at launch. You are thinking of the 'Menzoberranzan Renegade’ which is a Drow backstory with a unique tattoo and racial skill.

I doubt you will be able to get the unique items from the founder packs in the store, everything else though seems to be fair game.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I had zero interest in this game. But, I will definitely try it out now since they are utilizing the totally free model.
  • KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185
    Originally posted by evilastro
    Originally posted by Falcomith

Drow are available for free at launch. You are thinking of the 'Menzoberranzan Renegade’ which is a Drow backstory with a unique tattoo and racial skill.

I doubt you will be able to get the unique items from the founder packs in the store, everything else though seems to be fair game.

Fair enough.

• LeucentLeucent Member Posts: 2,371
    Great looking model. I have to say, for what it is, this is the best nodel you could have. Neverwinter is my dungeon crawling game dream. Really looking forward to this title.
  • Montana-drMontana-dr Member Posts: 10
    I believe it has some great potential  to succeed.
  • ZooceZooce Member Posts: 586
    I applaud making the cash store currency available through gameplay.
  • allumo666allumo666 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    i like to read some of the stuff posted here but regarding this fellow´s interview i must say what a bunch of junk speach. talking only on how free this game will be when they do the opposite regarding beta. i agree they have to get some sort of revenue but charging for beta is just wrong. beta is to put the game to test and get as much feedback as possible. trion worlds did that with defiance and they even gave keys everywhere. on the nwo foruns theres a thread for beta testers to answer ppl questions theres only one guy apart form the moderators answering. so if they make this sort of stuff for beta i can only imagine how it will be when game goes live 
  • KhebelnKhebeln Member UncommonPosts: 794
    Originally posted by allumo666
    i like to read some of the stuff posted here but regarding this fellow´s interview i must say what a bunch of junk speach. talking only on how free this game will be when they do the opposite regarding beta. i agree they have to get some sort of revenue but charging for beta is just wrong. beta is to put the game to test and get as much feedback as possible. trion worlds did that with defiance and they even gave keys everywhere. on the nwo foruns theres a thread for beta testers to answer ppl questions theres only one guy apart form the moderators answering. so if they make this sort of stuff for beta i can only imagine how it will be when game goes live 

I think its fine, they have their internal closed beta on going on to pof that. The public beta this daysa re notthing more than advertisement.

(Retired)- Anarchy Online/Ultima Online/DAoC/Horizonsz/EQ2/SWG/AC1&2/L2/SoR/WoW/TMO/Requiem/Atlantica Online/Manibogi/Rift+(SL)/Lol/Hon/SWTOR/Wakfu/Champions Online/GW/Lotr/CO/TcoS/Tabula Rasa/Meridian 59/Vanguard/Shadowbane/Fury/SotW/Dreamlords/HGL/RoM/DDO/FFXI/Aoc/Eve/Warhammer Online/Gw2/TSW/Tera/Defiance/STO/AoW/DE/Firefall/Darkfall/Neverwinter/PS2/ESO/FF14/Archeage/Gw2

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by allumo666

the REAL closed beta has been going on for more than a few months already ;]

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    So this is going to work the same as it does in Perfect World (the game)? I guess it worked out pretty good in that game.. shame it was a terrible game though.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

It's nothing new, both STO and CO working this way - except the 'no subscription available' part, which is more like 'no monthly stipend to you for free' ;)  and it also means no gold benefits and no veteran rewards either.

It could be a successful system, working fine in the other two games as well, in the sense that you won't need to even touch the in-game store during the way to level cap. But for playing beyond that for free... well, that would take a serious amount of grind. Khm, I mean playtime. :) Since they can easily control the amount and the demand of the "time currency", they can honing perfectly their income from Zen sales to their liking.

For the reference, in STO the dilithium / Zen exchange rate in the last year danced in the range of 85 - 290 dilly for 1 Zen. Luckily in some cases it's easy to predict what will happen, so it's safer than the regular real world exchange :) for example it was obvious that the S7 dilithium changes will bring a massive dilly demand and shortage, that's why a lot of people bought truckload of dilithium for cheap before S7 (around 160 per Zen), and then sell it back during the winter event around 80, doubling their Zen balance for free. Or so I heard. I didn't do such thing. :) Anyways, it's a rare thing, usually players need to buy Zen from PWE every once in a while, I think that wil be the case in Neverwinter as well.

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Originally posted by Thorkune
    I had zero interest in this game. But, I will definitely try it out now since they are utilizing the totally free model.

Same here.  If they indeed follow the same setup as current f2p STO, then yeh I'll give the game a shot. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• FonclFoncl Member UncommonPosts: 347

Is it really necessary to sell advantages to get people to support a MMO? :/

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Foncl

You use the word advantage loosely...

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    alright, another p2w game, blah this is bad news.
  • LegendtriggerLegendtrigger Member Posts: 39
    really hope Teso will have p2p now :s
    Originally posted by jtcgs

You use the word advantage loosely...

I just wish they could sell cosmetic items only and that people would support such a game if they liked it. Apparently they feel the need to sell currency that can be used to buy ingame items, to me that is selling an advantage.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

How else would you do it? people don't want to pay monthly sub either. How does one runs the business then?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

How else would you do it? people don't want to pay monthly sub either. How does one runs the business then?

Well I prefer a subscription but if you go F2P then I would prefer the way Path of Exile does it, sell cosmetic items, character slots, stash space. No MMO I know has done it though and I'm not sure it's viable either. I just think it's sad that the only way you get enough people to support a F2P game is by selling advantages. I wish people would support games that don't sell advantages.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Like Path of Exile does it, sell cosmetic items, character slots, stash space. Stuff like that.

They have that planned too for NW. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    In theory I love this approach as well but my concern is always how do they pay the salaries of their development staff? Assuming everyone who plays drops a 5 or 10 spot now and then maybe that's enough. Do players feel obligated to drop a 5 spot once in awhile? I do in GW2 in hopes of helping keeping the game moving forward, e.g. I've spent 5 to get gems to convert to gold to buy crafting mats, etc. I feel it's a worthwhile investment because it saves me some time plus hopeful helps propel the game forward on a financial curve.
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

This is the future of mmo's and its a great future.

its b2p or f2p for mmo's from now on. Except those that want to have p2p for the first months see that it fails and then go over to b2p or f2p