Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The formation of a megathread: "Are the Servers dying again?"

Comments

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Eletheryl
    Dont know why people keep talking about the fail of swtor, sure, from a hater point of view it is but in the real world is far far far away from that. Is still the P2P MMO with more subs but WoW, and financially the Cartel Market was a huge success, the population is stable and will grow once again with the expansion and the 1.7 update. People was talking about the Death of swtor for a year, never happened. 

If it was a success for EA/BW it would not have gone down in the ranks of priority, there would not be mass layoffs, it would not have gone F2P, the doctors would probably still be with Bioware etc

EA themselves said that its performance was "not good enough", and the reason for that is because it needs $7.5 million per month to break even. 

It may be asuccess to you and other players (even myself as I admit populations is better than SWG and other MMOs) and other MMO companies, but not to BW/EA and if the Cartel Market was a success for them then EA would be singing it from the rooftops in the latest financial report which they were not, all because it is a HUGELY COSTY MMO to run.

SWTOR is highly populated due to 1) 2 million sales from launch and people giving it a go, and because I bought it I am making the most of it instead of getting into GW2, Tera, TSW etc as spent money on this and not wasting more money on other MMOs (although when TSW went B2P I got it then) and 2) F2P, which most are probably playing for free to very little spending

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Holy crap.  I reinstalled Swtor earlier because my friend persuaded me to play again.  There are only 8 NA servers now.  I was shocked.  All my characters are on The Harbinger now. (they used to be on Drooga's Pleasure Barge, and Darth Xedrix before that one).  The title of this thread isn't really important either.  If you go from 100+ servers to 8, you can't go any lower before you reach death and closure.  And here i thought the death of swtor was just an exaggeration.
  • simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by simplius

yup, they all want to beat rocky, and be the champ, but they dont want to live in training camp for years

to prepare themselves

yes EVE is a AAA mmo, but íts also a HARDCORE mmo, so they can only support a company with about

70 employees,,no where near the budget of swtor

They all forget how EvE started. Definately NOT as AAA MMO.

Originally posted by gervaise1

Costs clearly got out of hand on SWTOR and then EA chased $$$; unlimited sales (understandable), high sub, released to early. Sad.

BW wanted it long term. EA wanted it short term. Its pretty obvious.

EVE obviously made the right choices,,starting small , and improving slowly over time

letting the playerbase grow naturally through word of mouth

not starting big and with a loud PR hype

hyping the games only hurts them in the long run,,i wish the PR guys would realize that

Dont know why people keep talking about the fail of swtor, sure, from a hater point of view it is but in the real world is far far far away from that. Is still the P2P MMO with more subs but WoW, and financially the Cartel Market was a huge success, the population is stable and will grow once again with the expansion and the 1.7 update. People was talking about the Death of swtor for a year, never happened. 

they have same retention rate after ONE year, as wow after EIGHT

they have gone from the BIGGEST MMO LAUNCH IN HISTORY, to F2P in the first year

if this game payed your salary,,im sure, that you wouldnt feel so good

i know swtor isnt dead yet,,but it sure isnt healthy either

realizing, that there is a problem is the first step

getting the fans to take that first step,,is impossible

so yes,,this game is heading directly for the cemetary

i expect it will be there at the end of this year

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

Sources? On it being number 2 to WoW and the Cartel Market being a success. Amazed EA wasn't siging its praise if so.

And number 2? Eve (c. 400k subs), Battlefield 3 (2.9M subs according to EA), L1 in Asia (not US), FF etc.

My undertstanding is that we have no news on the number of subs but we do know that SWTOR is down to 20 servers - for both subs and F2P folk. Now maybe SWTOR has fewer F2P folk than subs but - assuming it has at least as many then 20 servers suggests 100k subs max. And 200k+ for 20 servers is pushing it.

So number 2? And that is before one starts thinking of Eve (c. 400k subs), Battlefield 3 (2.9M subs according to EA), possibly Rift, L1 in Asia (not US), FF etc.

swtor is NOT nr 2 in subs

if they were that successful, they would be blowing their hype horns, claiming to be nr one

the fact , that they hid swtor numbers in last report, shows that its doing worse than ever

if my kid had good grades, i wouldnt boast about his class average

if he had bad grades, class average is a good way to make it look better

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    I honestly can't believe some people are THIS obsessed with hating the game.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Well those saying 1.7 would being population levels back up, this is the week to see if that's correct.

I still think the game is churning FTP players, (Which timeframe wise, mirrored the population decline following launch), but we shall see.

Originally posted by Swanea

welcome to planet earth,,humans do a lot of crazy things

and writing on forums about a game is harmless, compared to , what some other people do

this is the backlash from a a massive sale hype, and broken promises

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

Well those saying 1.7 would being population levels back up, this is the week to see if that's correct.

I still think the game is churning FTP players, (Which timeframe wise, mirrored the population decline following launch), but we shall see.

I don't get this population l thing. I have not seen less than 4 instances of fleet on :the Harbinger server) for months. Yes they condensed the server's, yes there is a lot less people playing but it has kept a steady population for months now on the servers it does have.  What people are leaving out either intentionally or because they don't know is that the population cap for each server was expanded.

It is far from dying and is even making a slight come back.....

people come and go in games..specially in F2P mmos

those waves are triggered mostly by by OTHER games,,ragequit, boredom,ban,,and a F2P game will have a new player

getting him to stay and spend some money,,thats the hard part

specially with so many games to choose from

when i started playing mmos in 2005, there was about a dozen mmos

i dont even know how many there is now,,hundreds, maybe thousands

and most of that market was created by wow

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Thebigbopper

I don't get this population l thing. I have not seen less than 4 instances of fleet on :the Harbinger server) for months. Yes they condensed the server's, yes there is a lot less people playing but it has kept a steady population for months now on the servers it does have.  What people are leaving out either intentionally or because they don't know is that the population cap for each server was expanded.

That is because you are looking at it from one servers perspective. Last month there was 5 FULL servers, but now the best they get are Very Heavy, all servers are down.

In SWG and other MMOs, there are certain servers that always stay full as people either transfer or reroll while other die. If you were on Starsider you would see no difference, but if you were on Kauri you would see the game as dead. Although in SWTOR it seems all servers are going down equally, and there is no real strong ones. The problem could be lack of transfers and not enough people willing to reroll on another server.

• ThebigbopperThebigbopper Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by superniceguy

That is because you are looking at it from one servers perspective. Last month there was 5 FULL servers, but now the best they get are Very Heavy, all servers are down.

In SWG and other MMOs, there are certain servers that always stay full as people either transfer or reroll while other die. If you were on Starsider you would see no difference, but if you were on Kauri you would see the game as dead. Although in SWTOR it seems all servers are going down equally, and there is no real strong ones. The problem could be lack of transfers and not enough people willing to reroll on another server.

I do not see going from Full to Very heavy as an issue. I think it was getting full only the first couple of weeks of free to play anyway. I stand by my statement that the servers have stablized or grown recently.  I imagine after this update they make go to full for a short period again, they will almost certainly go back to very heavy after a couple of weeks.

• ThanosxpThanosxp Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by superniceguy

I do not see going from Full to Very heavy as an issue. I think it was getting full only the first couple of weeks of free to play anyway. I stand by my statement that the servers have stablized or grown recently.  I imagine after this update they make go to full for a short period again, they will almost certainly go back to very heavy after a couple of weeks.

This statement was true even when it was a subscription game. We all read it a lot in that time, just replace the "free to play" with "launch". Even few weeks before the change, the community was saying things like

-It's growing in my server, as good as launch! I see new people everyday. Stop the doom and gloom.

In this very thread ppl keep saying the same. I think the only thing we can agree here is that the gaming community can't even reach an veredict about a game failing. SWTOR didn't fail in the eyes of some, it is not dying, and it's actually growing. AOC all the way. My guess is that SWTOR is going to be the new warhammer: Came to kill wow, and became the shadow of a MMO.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Swanea

I've never understood it either and this site is notorious for that. I still think WOW has the biggest hate army here . Folks just won't forgive that game for being successful and changing the MMO landscape. They recently boasted about WOW's drop to 9 million subs as if it was some kind of victory. Really, all the big AAA games have a contigent here that loves to bash them. TESO is getting a taste of that right now. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• kurosenshukurosenshu Member UncommonPosts: 49

No surprise there.

what they implemented is not even remotely close to a f2p strategy it is more of an unlimited trial with toll booths every 2 miles.

after the initial flood of f2p players came and went, after they realized what was really going on.

No, no surprise at all that the server population might be diminishing again.

And to EA I say.

Milk those morons playing it dry while you still can !

if they are stupid enough to be still paying for that  crap milk them, milk them hard maybe they will learn something after their pockets won't stop hemorrhaging.

• enik3enik3 Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by kurosenshu

No surprise there.

what they implemented is not even remotely close to a f2p strategy it is more of an unlimited trial with toll booths every 2 miles.

after the initial flood of f2p players came and went, after they realized what was really going on.

No, no surprise at all that the server population might be diminishing again.

And to EA I say.

Milk those morons playing it dry while you still can !

if they are stupid enough to be still paying for that  crap milk them, milk them hard maybe they will learn something after their pockets won't stop hemorrhaging.

Hey I'm COMPLETELY shocked that you have a GW2 "elite" signature there. I guess with the time you'd need to put into that, you don't actually play any other games--but you sure do have opinions about them.

oh they are milking alright

they have even found a way to get their in game credits too, by increasing repair costs

soon the remaining players will be dry as bricks

but then mr riccitello can use them for his new mansion

those guys never miss an opportunity

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

oh they are milking alright

they have even found a way to get their in game credits too, by increasing repair costs

soon the remaining players will be dry as bricks

but then mr riccitello can use them for his new mansion

those guys never miss an opportunity

..and whats the quickest way to make credits?  Buy a bunch of gambling packs and sell the results.  Done EA style.

Even if you are unlucky with "rewards", the cruddy items will still generate credits, enough to raid every week.  :-/->-<

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

so thats why they did it,,i thought the greed had finally blinded them

but i think it will hurt them a lot more in the long run,,theres a lot of rage on swtor forums

grinding for repairs is one of the reasons , that i stopped high level play in wow

only hardcore players will do that,,and try building a big budget mmo on that playerbase

actually , this plan might work for them,,just not the way, they intended

it looks like they were trying to regulate the credits in game

now players are unsubbing

fewer players=less credits,,problem solved

DING,,100 posts

now where do i get my skillpoints?  i REALLY need them,,it sucks to lose everytime

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

actually , this plan might work for them,,just not the way, they intended

it looks like they were trying to regulate the credits in game

now players are unsubbing

fewer players=less credits,,problem solved

DING,,100 posts

now where do i get my skillpoints?  i REALLY need them,,it sucks to lose everytime

Have a cookie....

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

thank you,,now all i need is a glass of milk, then im ready for my bedtime story

any volunteers?

PS not the one about the dwarves again,,thats too scary

lol,,now one of the guilds is trying to blackmail BW for some shinies over this

if they ever make a new SW mmo,,which im beginning to doubt,,i will try to stay away from it

even if it was a good game,,the fans would quickly run it into the ground

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I can't help but notice all the upticks in European servers are German. Is this normal or another Saturn event?