Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for an MMO to play or follow until release need recommendations.

C3llTherapyC3llTherapy Member Posts: 15

A little history:

I quit playin MMO's many years ago because of the dumbing down and catering to the instant gratification crowd. I thoroughly enjoy Asheron's Call and played on Darktide (FFA PVP) for so many years I can't even remember how long I played. You could not beat the natural organic player base that was unfettered by forced politics and plastic rivalries this genre has been inundated with since WoW. Real enemies were really hated and the good guys were truly good. Not to mention with no territory restrictions to cater to the crowd that could not handle their pixelated self being killed by higher levels and PK's as they would be subject to in the real world; owning and fighting for valuable property and guild assets meant something! Prime hunting spots were cherished and hardly fought and defended for for years. Battles were epic and the sense of surivival and progress in the game world were much more realistic and therefore much more gratifying and enjoyable. This all started to crumble upon the entrance of games like WoW, Asheron's Call 2, and Everquest II. Also contributing to the decline of the genre was proliferation of cheating with macros and straight hacking (I hear Darkfall suffered tremendously from this so I stayed away even though it was the only bastion of hope it seemed left). 

To get to the point I like a challenge. I don't play games to 'beat' them or to 'max' level, I play them to enjoy them, and quit playing them when or if they are not enjoyable. I come from an era in MMO's where there was no end to the story. There really were no level caps to progression or the end of. I come from an era where games lasted 5-10 years instead of games shoveled to masses of instant gratifcation experts that result in the game lasting 3 months and then all the pixel/number addicts start to complain the game sucks, never realizing that it is the type of game they are demanding that sucks and not genre or specific game itself. They never seem to realize when venting in their video game wthdrawl states of mind that they request, demand, and pay for games built on sand. Equations built to delapidate upon 'beating' them. When the withdrawl needs to fed they simply move on to a different set of pixels, rinse and repeat.

So are there any games like they used to make where the story never ended, it always expanded like progression. Where things like fighting for a town, hunting area, or honor matter? Where politics are created through the actions of the player base and not fictionally instated to the point you really have no idea why you hate the orcs or why you can't form alliances and attack whom you please? Where you are not spoon fed where to go and what to do ruining the enchanting feeling you get from a real adventure albeit through a computer screen? Where you chose from a multitude of skill, abilities, and atrributes instead of having your handhel down a boring forced path they call the 'skill tree'? Where dieing actually mattered and something was actually lost? Where skills you chose and attributes had tons of options, but it was detrimental if you made a moronic template? Or is everything still so o.0 (carebear) as we used to call it?

Someone point me to a decent game out there is there is one. I don't like guns, vampires, mechs, or shit like that. I want a Tolkien type setting. I love swords and magic. I love SCi_Fi if done right like Starwars or Mass Effect but these are all instant gratification games right now with no real spirit, everything is so fake and manufactured it is like pop music, boy bands, Rick Ross who wouldn't know what a real fuckin gangster was until it shot him in the face...

Let me know if I am just sh!t out of luck still. It's been 6-8 years of a boycott so thought I would try again. Thanks.

Lookin for:

*PVP is a must. FFA PVP preferably. 

*Something that takes years to max or does not have a cap

*Knights, armor, magic, and all that jive, but would consider Sci-Fi

I was looking into Darkfall: Unholy Wars as it seems to tick everything I want but with the rampant cheating and macro stuff I am hearing about I may not bother. 

Comments

• RollerratRollerrat Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I can only recommend EVE Online after I read your whole post.
  • GroovyFlowerGroovyFlower Member Posts: 1,245

Asheron's call 2(released 2002) is not even close to wow(released 2004) or everquest2.

Asherons call2 is total free to play mmo no guidance or instance or any help no npc's with !-? above head and very open world to explore.

Original classes and alot better skill tree then ac1.

Friendly good community.

AC2 is what ac1 was good grahipcs even today for 11 year old game with 1080p resolution with superb gameplay.

AC2 is not themepark also not same as true sandbox but closer to sandbox then themepark no easymode harsh penaltys if you die and very hard dungeons all open no restrictiosn.

No silly AH or bank system and easy gameplay.

Darktide FFA PvP style server is best way to play AC2 in my humble opinion.

AC2 8.5 rating

AC1 7.5 rating

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    Rift is a outstanding choice for a mmorpg to play!
  • TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by adeptuz
    I can only recommend EVE Online after I read your whole post.

Second that.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by C3llTherapy

Lookin for:

*PVP is a must. FFA PVP preferably. 

*Something that takes years to max or does not have a cap

*Knights, armor, magic, and all that jive, but would consider Sci-Fi

I was looking into Darkfall: Unholy Wars as it seems to tick everything I want but with the rampant cheating and macro stuff I am hearing about I may not bother. 

Since you already know DF:UW, and you want knights armor and magic, your alternative for FFA PVP is Age of Conan on a Blood and Glory Server.

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/the_blood_and_glory_pvp_ruleset

When you get to 80 in AoC the alternative advancement skilling begins, also you can go for four tiers of gear, and for faction grind in Kithai if you want so yeah it may take a very long time until you "max out" different systems.

http://www.ageofconan.com/news/rise_of_the_godslayer_alternate_advancement_system

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/08/28/the-anvil-of-crom-alternate-advancement-explained/

e.g. it may also take a long time to "max out" your guilds city.. or get to PvP level 10..or get into crafting.. so there is a lot of progression you can have in multiple ways. Alternate advancement is also time based, so you can train skills similiar to EvE skill training, queuing them and wait until your training finishes

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187

The reason why there cheating atm in darkfall is that the cheat detecting software is turned off currently for beta for increase performance while the the game is still in debugger mode, it will be turned on once debugger if off for beta/release.

Macroing is still bound to happen though although u do get less skill gain than PvEing. which grants 3 time skill gain that hitting players.

• pmw4friendpmw4friend Member Posts: 63
    There's always runescape, runes of magic, aion, or even elsword
  • C3llTherapyC3llTherapy Member Posts: 15

Alright just checked back in thank you so much for replies! I've got some research to do now. I will be checking into AoC, Eve, and Rift. Rift and AoC sound very promising. May be a little late in the game for me to join Eve.

While I was doing my own research in the mass of games currently out I came up with Tera, Path of Exile, and Camelot Unchained. Camelot Unchained designer says my post almost verbatim which I found very promising so I will be following it very closely.

Originally posted by GroovyFlower

Asheron's call 2(released 2002) is not even close to wow(released 2004) or everquest2.

Asherons call2 is total free to play mmo no guidance or instance or any help no npc's with !-? above head and very open world to explore.

Original classes and alot better skill tree then ac1.

Friendly good community.

AC2 is what ac1 was good grahipcs even today for 11 year old game with 1080p resolution with superb gameplay.

AC2 is not themepark also not same as true sandbox but closer to sandbox then themepark no easymode harsh penaltys if you die and very hard dungeons all open no restrictiosn.

No silly AH or bank system and easy gameplay.

Darktide FFA PvP style server is best way to play AC2 in my humble opinion.

AC2 8.5 rating

AC1 7.5 rating

AC2 is still playable? I was there the day they announced closing the servers and ending the game. Had no idea they reopened it? I'll check into it. Had several level 70+ characters on Darktide II. 

Originally posted by sanshi44

The reason why there cheating atm in darkfall is that the cheat detecting software is turned off currently for beta for increase performance while the the game is still in debugger mode, it will be turned on once debugger if off for beta/release.

Macroing is still bound to happen though although u do get less skill gain than PvEing. which grants 3 time skill gain that hitting players.

Very good info I will keep this in mind and not take this one off the list then.