Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] World of Warcraft: A New Hope

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I can't see this movie working as aan adult title. It has to be some sort of comedy, aiming for the lower to mid teen crowd.

They're better off making it a cartoon series.  Or will that happen AFTER the film? 

Yeah cartoon would fit it better. WoW has always struck me as a goofy cartoon with simplistic characters.

No offense, but you apparently know nothing about Warcraft lore or what has even happened in the timeframe of WoW.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by BadSpock
    I can't see this movie working as aan adult title. It has to be some sort of comedy, aiming for the lower to mid teen crowd.

They're better off making it a cartoon series.  Or will that happen AFTER the film? 

Yeah cartoon would fit it better. WoW has always struck me as a goofy cartoon with simplistic characters.

No offense, but you apparently know nothing about Warcraft lore or what has even happened in the timeframe of WoW.

But wasn't Warcraft itself a more serious-themed game series?  WoW always struck me as aiming for a wider audience, despite the lore of the old games.  I ask because I never played them.

Regardless, I'd be up for watching anything WoW related probably, but far more serious IP's have been turned into cartoons, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

But wasn't Warcraft itself a more serious-themed game series?  WoW always struck me as aiming for a wider audience, despite the lore of the old games.  I ask because I never played them.

The ratio of "funny and/or cute" to "serious" in the history of the Warcraft IP has been like... 1 to 12347326478623491

For every "NPCs make a joke when you click on them" there are 10 "omg they just wiped out an entire race."

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

The ratio of "funny and/or cute" to "serious" in the history of the Warcraft IP has been like... 1 to 12347326478623491

For every "NPCs make a joke when you click on them" there are 10 "omg they just wiped out an entire race."

Still, "All of these Pop Culture References Just Ruin My Immersion" thread appears, on wow general, about once a week.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

Originally posted by Icewhite

Still, "All of these Pop Culture References Just Ruin My Immersion" thread appears, on wow general, about once a week.

Yeah, but that's part of the game not a part of the lore.

I really, really don't think they'd feature Leeroy Jenkins and Haris Pilton or Harrison Jones in the movie...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Adam Eternium and Haris Pilton star in WoW: The Musical!  (an actual guild name on my first server)

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by maplestone

A movie feels like a big risk - you're taking an IP from a market it dominates and putting into a market where ambitious adaptations have generally flopped.  If a movie comes out looking weak relative to other IPs, that may change how customers view the game itself.

It's not like WoW hasn't ventured into other formats already -- graphic novels and books, to start. The WoW books have apparently done pretty well, I seem to remember the pre-Wrath one about Arthas was on the NYT best seller list for quite a while. Mind, I haven't read any of them and am told the older books were pretty terrible, but since they got a new author (who, oddly, looks so much like my sister it's scary) their reputation has improved drastically.

As for it being a risk, I really don't see it changing customer's views. Most video game movies have sucked (Prince of Persia being an exception, IMHO, but I suspect that's more a girl thing), yet their franchises remain pretty much untouched. I doubt the Resident Evil movies -- which, frankly, despite not being very good, they are fun schlock -- have hurt sales of the games -- probably quite the opposite. I suspect this is a "no such thing as bad publicity" issue, improving name recognition counts where whether the movie was good or not doesn't really.

The real problem I can see is that even if you go with the whole rise and fall of Arthas as your story -- and, while the WoW mythos is huge at this point with easily dozens of stories they could pick from, that is the natural choice -- you're going to have to vastly simplify things. The whole thing with Sylvanas alone would take a movie or two all by itself. Toss in Jaina, the bug kingdom, the history and motivations of the original Liche King, the Burning Legion stuff behind that, well it's all too much. They're going to need a very deft hand pruning things to a managegable and coherent story. It's not that it can't be done, but it won't be easy.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by SBFord

World of Warcraft: A New Hope

lol that better not be the title of the movie... because I'm quite sure that the ": A New Hope" part was trademarked by Star Wars, lol.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

The problem with this movie is that the great WoW stories... WoW fans already know.  So they'll either have to invent a new story with new characters within some paradigm or they'll just re-tell a story that everyone has already heard.  Obviously the Arthas tale would make make a huge splash among non-WoW fans.

It also doesn't seem like they're interested in a movie series.  It means they're making one script and they might not necessarily make the first movie to create the universe, merely to create a finished product.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    when i read the thread title i thought it was another swtor critique thread.
  • CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174

This film will be epic the same way Lord of the Rings is epic. Blizzard isn't stupid and they have billions of dollars to create and promote the film.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

Hunter weapon!

Throwbacks eh? I will see your Bow of Taut Sinew and raise you a Rhok'delar.

Beat that.

• jbombardjbombard Member UncommonPosts: 598
    Originally posted by troublmaker

The problem with this movie is that the great WoW stories... WoW fans already know.  So they'll either have to invent a new story with new characters within some paradigm or they'll just re-tell a story that everyone has already heard.  Obviously the Arthas tale would make make a huge splash among non-WoW fans.

It also doesn't seem like they're interested in a movie series.  It means they're making one script and they might not necessarily make the first movie to create the universe, merely to create a finished product.

Well I think a lot of people knew the Lord of the Rings story before the movie, and that did pretty well.  I think if it is done properly and epic, it will be fine.  But I must admit that I fall into the doubtful camp.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i was hoping the WoW movie was pre-rendered like Final Fantasy VII Advent Children. Apparently is a real movie... anyway good luck with that. Im still looking forward to see the Warcraft Lore alive. One of the best Lores ever created.

Originally posted by Cothor

This film will be epic the same way Lord of the Rings is epic. Blizzard isn't stupid and they have billions of dollars to create and promote the film.

Actually I think the chances are quite high that WoW movie would look like Dragonballz the movie lol

Lord of the Rings was epic because the BOOK was epic. It was THE original high fantasy.

WoW's stories are questionable in comparison... if they can't make a good D&D film I am struggling to see how Warcraft would be better.

• SuperNickSuperNick Member UncommonPosts: 460

If they go with a CGI style films (Final Fantasy Spirits Within) then it could be cool. Those movies aren't for everyone but I personally love the anime/CGI films behind games.

If they choose to go with a standard cinema actor affair (See: Resident Evil, Silent Hill) then it will probably be on par with them..

Personally I just don't see how this could be a real life fantasy movie, it doesn't fit in my mind.

Blizzard is an incredibly rich company though and they have a lot of money to throw at this. While this doesn't equal success, it certaintly goes a long way if your team is competent.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

World of Warcraft: The Search for Makrik's Wife

Instant Blockbuster.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by aRtFuLThinG
    Originally posted by Cothor

Actually I think the chances are quite high that WoW movie would look like Dragonballz the movie lol

Lord of the Rings was epic because the BOOK was epic. It was THE original high fantasy.

WoW's stories are questionable in comparison... if they can't make a good D&D film I am struggling to see how Warcraft would be better.

if they know what they are doing they can succeed. i dont think that just because Lotr is the original high fantasy like you said, nobody else can do it well. LOTR movies werent good because it was LOTR, they were good because they were well done.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    I'm curious what the story will be.
    Originally posted by rojo6934

if they know what they are doing they can succeed. i dont think that just because Lotr is the original high fantasy like you said, nobody else can do it well. LOTR movies werent good because it was LOTR, they were good because they were well done.

AND mainly because it was LOTR - if they messed it up and they will have the wraith of the acdemic community for decades to come and the director would have been in a wasteland of no employment.

Other than LOTR I am really struggling to think of any other high fantasy movies that was done well.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I was hoping they would do one of the many books that wasn't in a game.  I've read most of the Warcraft books, and I know I'll probably get flamed for it, but I liked them more than the LotR books...

Edit: Like the graphic novel by Walter Simonson
  • dimnikardimnikar Member Posts: 271
    It'll be wonderful to see this movie succeed in yet another example of how completely out of touch people proclaiming WoWs downfall continue to be, year after year :)
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Year after year, like a great North Korean leader :)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    I suspect female elves will feature a great deal - ensuring the film is popular among teenage males.
  • pixelRainbowpixelRainbow Member Posts: 4
    Originally posted by zomard100
    Finally! In fact  it is the only game worth to have movie. Most epic lore ever created in gaming industry. I hope they make good movie  because it is a dream of largest mmo  population that ever existed. I hope they don't make something stupid like Hobbit 

In fact you're a bit shortsighted on this. There are other games as well worth having a movie. Deus Ex, for example. And J.J. Abrams may also do something kickass with Half Life. Others could probably come up with 10x more examples for games, which hare worth having a movie.